PDA

View Full Version : The goal with weight training

markuss
08-30-2017, 06:42 PM
Is the programs goal in terms of weight lifting to maximize the amount of muscle mass? AKA a purely bodybuilding/bro split type of training? Should we avoid high intensity in favor of volume?

Durantia37
08-30-2017, 08:45 PM
Lifting weights just increases T, which is one of the goals of the protocol. I think it's literally just the act of doing heavy, compound lifts that stimulates T production. Mass is just a pleasant side effect.

markuss
08-30-2017, 10:45 PM
I'm just trying to see whether I should change from my upper/lower split to one that focuses on primarily on size vs strength.

The battler
08-31-2017, 09:43 AM
Yes, this is also a question that I had. Should we aim for bodybuilding style workout with more focus on contracting the muscles, even if it is with middling weights, or should we go for power lifting style and explosive workouts?

jacknap
08-31-2017, 10:27 AM
for our case I'd imagine it's manipulating hormones. So big compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, incline bench, sprints, chin ups.

I do 3 sets, 8 reps with 3 minute breaks. And then I also do supersets. I do squats 3x a week. I do my max squat once a week. And then I do my own bodyweight with weight squats the other 2 times. Squats pump T like crazy. Deadlifts jack me up even more but that I can only do once a week.

I've also been a strong dude but very slim and cut. I think my biochemistry leans towards high DHT, mid T. Could explain why I crashed as the DHT just accumulated over 2 weeks to superphysiological levels... one of my thoeries.

markuss
08-31-2017, 11:01 AM
yea but cdnuts protocol is pretty much 1 body part a day which makes you focus on fatiguing each muscle group, more of a hypertrophy based program. You'd get much more soar from that type of workout vs a split focused on compound movements which might stress the nervous system too much in our case.

K8668B
08-31-2017, 12:56 PM
I do a 5-6 day a week bodybuilding style split routine. I DO include alot of the lifts that are known to boost testosterone. I even have days in the gym where im probably not getting as much testosterone out of my lifts, such as bicep days. But i was told in the beginning of my blog that my current program is fine.

Id say do a somewhat split/muscle part routine, anywhere from 3-6 days a week, and make sure to include the heavy compound movements. benchpresses, squats, deadlifts, etc, are phenomenal for this purpose! As long as youre pushing weight in general, i would assume youre good to go!

Cdsnuts
08-31-2017, 04:28 PM
The focus should be on strength.

I do switch it up when on cycle, in the summer time to a more volume based approach to increase the aesthetic nature of my build, but that is only when I cycle to have a little fun.

After the summer, and for the majority of the year, I focus on strength gains.

That being said, ANY type of weight training is better then none and all of it when done correctly will yield an increase in Test.

Whatever your approach, just don't over do it. Especially guys who are in pretty bad shape.

coppersocks
09-04-2017, 04:36 AM
The focus should be on strength.

I do switch it up when on cycle, in the summer time to a more volume based approach to increase the aesthetic nature of my build, but that is only when I cycle to have a little fun.

After the summer, and for the majority of the year, I focus on strength gains.

That being said, ANY type of weight training is better then none and all of it when done correctly will yield an increase in Test.

Whatever your approach, just don't over do it. Especially guys who are in pretty bad shape.

Yeah, if thyroid and fatigue is an issue for anyone then a lot of heavy weight training that puts too much stress on the CNS can have counter productive effects in terms of PFS. It'll cause too much cortisol and will divert your bodies limited energy from healing imo.

jacknap
09-04-2017, 10:13 AM
I've read that if workouts are kept short and intense eg) 30 minutes then you get a boost in T and lowering of cortisol post workout. checkout ori hofmeklers work

Cdsnuts
09-06-2017, 06:08 PM
I've read that if workouts are kept short and intense eg) 30 minutes then you get a boost in T and lowering of cortisol post workout. checkout ori hofmeklers work

I'm rarely in the gym for more then an hour, including warm up work.