PDA

View Full Version : Lion's Mane 5ar

basementdweller
08-11-2018, 02:15 PM
Some troublesome reading about Lion's mane. Looks like it's a pretty strong 5ar inhibitor, according to mycologist Paul Stamets.

https://decroissons.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/paul-stamets-mycelium-running-how-mushrooms-can-help-save-the-world.pdf

(hericium erinaceus)

jacknap
08-11-2018, 11:10 PM
it's so blurry hard to see. you sure it doesn't INCREASe cuz it doesn't say inhibitor in the bold text and cordyceps i think may increase dht

from my research it's only the reishi that's potent 5ar though

basementdweller
08-12-2018, 08:03 AM
The graph represents "remaining activity" of 5ar. Lion's mane shows less than 80%. Cordyceps shows 110% because it increases 5ar.

Page 205 in the book shows effect on 5ar (different page on the pdf reader). Page 204 shows effects on aromatase

Lakehouse99
08-12-2018, 11:38 AM
damn im completely fuked then

lions mane is the only thing that helps my brain fog currently lol

well bacopa too but lions mane makes such a significant functional difference

Maxout777
08-12-2018, 11:45 AM
So, guys keep in mind there's a lot of natural 5AR inhibition occurring in nature. Eggs, avocados, tomatoes, etc..... All of these things inhibit 5AR from some capacity. Doesn't mean that they are bad for you, by any means. Just avoid the main "bad guys" that we all know about, and as always, see how it does for you. If you feel bad on it, bin it, if you feel good on, keep on trucking. Everyone's mileage may vary.

basementdweller
08-12-2018, 12:21 PM
damn im completely fuked then

lions mane is the only thing that helps my brain fog currently lol

well bacopa too but lions mane makes such a significant functional difference

ya, seriously. Lion's mane was by far the most helpful nootropic for me, I have been using a lot of it lately. I hope my current downswing is just a coincidence.

jacknap
08-12-2018, 12:33 PM
So, guys keep in mind there's a lot of natural 5AR inhibition occurring in nature. Eggs, avocados, tomatoes, etc..... All of these things inhibit 5AR from some capacity. Doesn't mean that they are bad for you, by any means. Just avoid the main "bad guys" that we all know about, and as always, see how it does for you. If you feel bad on it, bin it, if you feel good on, keep on trucking. Everyone's mileage may vary.

which ones are the big ones you say?

fenugreek
finasteride
saw palmetto

there's a bunch more I think

reishi
skullcap
mint
ru58841 (directly the receptor though)
krill oil
astaxanthin
coconut oil

thing is lion's mane is an extract so more potent. while eggs/avocado as a whole food the 5ar properties are probably more balance with 5ar boosting things like cholesteral etc.

Lakehouse99
08-12-2018, 12:39 PM
ya, seriously. Lion's mane was by far the most helpful nootropic for me, I have been using a lot of it recently. I hope my current downswing is just a coincidence. I know what maxout is saying but still .... :(

do you get stomach pain with lions mane? i mix it with water and i get stomach aches for about an hour. doesnt matter if i eat food or not

jacknap
08-12-2018, 01:24 PM
wtf cacao 5 alpha inhibitor too?

Cacao inhibits DHT, protects prostate against testosterone (http://www.ergo-log.com/cacao-inhibits-dht-protects-prostate-against-testosterone.html)

Cocoa Protects Prostate From Testosterone XbodyConcepts (http://xbodyconcepts.com/cocoa-protects-prostate-from-testosterone/)

but ...

5 Testosterone-Boosting Foods High in Magnesium - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAPlQvUiRDY)

Maxout777
08-12-2018, 04:46 PM
I'm telling you guys, you are wasting your time and splitting hairs. Fin, SP, RU, etc, all are progestins as well as inhibiting 5AR. Those don't fuck people over just due to 5AR inhibition. If you're this worried about that, your diet is about to become REAL strict.

Hulk Smash
08-12-2018, 09:54 PM
Maxout777 is right guys. The difference could be in how the evil inhibitors we know of attach to the 5ar enzyme, thus creating our current dilemma.

Pumpkin seed is another to avoid though right? I think I heard that one was just as bad as fenugreek, fin, etc...

Also yes, reishi is most likely a strong one as well...avoid it.

BtW, Where is CD???

basementdweller
08-12-2018, 10:12 PM
I'm not concerned about food, I'm concerned about lion's mane. 20% reduction is pretty high and the extracts could be higher. Plenty of people on reddit have complained about libido while taking lion's mane. It wouldn't cause pfs, but it seems counteractive

jacknap
08-13-2018, 12:23 PM
i'm going to drop lion's mane for a week and see if it causes a libido upswing. kinda pissed cuz I have 120grams of the stuff and it's not cheap lol

Maxout777
08-16-2018, 08:24 AM
I'm not concerned about food, I'm concerned about lion's mane. 20% reduction is pretty high and the extracts could be higher. Plenty of people on reddit have complained about libido while taking lion's mane. It wouldn't cause pfs, but it seems counteractive

I don't understand your statement here, and I promise I'm not trying to be a dick. Lion's Mane and every other herbal substance you take is a food. So to say you're not concerned about food but concerned about Lion's Mane makes zero sense. That's why I'm trying to say, there's a ton of items out there you can either eat, drink, take, basically digest in general, that will have 5ARI properties. I ate a fuck ton of avocados, eggs, even took Nettle Root prior to taking Saw Palmetto, and none of those did anything to me. SP, however, yeah that was a different story.

But again, try both ways. Take it and also leave it out. See how you feel. If it's really messing with your libido you'll notice in a week's time. I will say that when my libido came back finally, I was taking Lion's Mane, and I still take it daily to this day in my coffee.

Everyone's mileage may vary, and that's why I'm a huge advocate of people tailoring to what works for them.

Cdsnuts
08-17-2018, 10:15 PM
I'm telling you guys, you are wasting your time and splitting hairs. Fin, SP, RU, etc, all are progestins as well as inhibiting 5AR. Those don't fuck people over just due to 5AR inhibition. If you're this worried about that, your diet is about to become REAL strict.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

- - - Updated - - -

CD is too busy chasing young tail.

Apologies gents, but Ceremonius is absolutely correct. I've been a bit of a man whore lately....not gonna lie. This is the part of life I missed out on, so, I'm well making up for it now and having a fucking blast. I just can't get over that it's easier at 41 then 21.....then again, I've never been so confident in my life. All in the vibe....

Cdsnuts
08-17-2018, 10:19 PM
You guys need to do what keeps your head on straight. I think you're all splitting hairs with lions mane because I've used it during recovery and have had nothing but positive benefits.

jacknap
08-17-2018, 10:28 PM
You guys need to do what keeps your head on straight. I think you're all splitting hairs with lions mane because I've used it during recovery and have had nothing but positive benefits.

did you use the whole food or extract? LEH has two i'm using the extract rn 8;1 they also have a 1;1 tho but i already have 3 bags of 8;1 lol

Cdsnuts
08-17-2018, 10:33 PM
did you use the whole food or extract? LEH has two i'm using the extract rn 8;1 they also have a 1;1 tho but i already have 3 bags of 8;1 lol

The stronger extract is relatively new. I used the 1:1

jacknap
08-19-2018, 12:30 PM
The stronger extract is relatively new. I used the 1:1

so you think the stronger extract might be dicier or nah?

CSM25
08-19-2018, 05:19 PM
IF YOU need to be obsessed (bc of ocd or whatever), stick to whole foods and never need to overthink. Eat same 5-10 foods per day, but diet itself is not gonna crash MOST ppl, I firmly believe.

SORRY I mean, outside of worst-state-of pfs... pre fasting and all that. Near 240 days no drinks no smokes.
Ate gluten 6x and cheese 7 or less.

Cdsnuts
08-20-2018, 04:10 PM
so you think the stronger extract might be dicier or nah?

I can't say for sure. I've taken both, but I took the stronger extract when I was well recovered. If you're having second thoughts, even for peace of mind, just stick to the 1:1. It works and I've never had any issues with it.

slader1
12-06-2019, 12:49 AM
I took the 8:1 extract during the last coupel weeks of my androsterone cycle. I now have worse brain fog and mental sides than before, and I am not sure if this is maybe in part due to the lion's mane. I remember after taking it a few days I started to get really weird and concerning mental effects, but I was already getting bad mental effects on andro. Lion's mane upregulates NGF which could icnrease dht, but if it's a 5-ar inhibitor it could drop allopregnenlone. Right now I feel as if I have more DHT but lower allopreg than before my cycle.

Cdsnuts
12-07-2019, 12:48 PM
I took the 8:1 extract during the last coupel weeks of my androsterone cycle. I now have worse brain fog and mental sides than before, and I am not sure if this is maybe in part due to the lion's mane. I remember after taking it a few days I started to get really weird and concerning mental effects, but I was already getting bad mental effects on andro. Lion's mane upregulates NGF which could icnrease dht, but if it's a 5-ar inhibitor it could drop allopregnenlone. Right now I feel as if I have more DHT but lower allopreg than before my cycle.

If you feel like it's negatively effecting you, stop.