PDA

View Full Version : How many shakes a day?

Rulk
12-04-2012, 02:46 AM
Who here drinks a lot of protein shakes? Details please: How many a day, how much protein, mixed in water, milk, juice, add any other supps, etc. and does it work for you?

For years I used to just eat and lift, then went to multiple shakes a day, then went back to food, and now i'm back to a mix of both. I feel like shit if I drink too many shakes nowadays, and I have to have real food. Most times I keep the protein shakes to usually around workouts and thats it.

I've heard some guys practically living off of shakes, but thats gotta suck imo, and I would feel like i'm depriving myself if I tried that again.

badgermilk
12-04-2012, 04:54 AM
2 a day at most for me. Post workout i have 2 scoops in whole milk. Other than that I usually will have another shake in the middle of my day at work. I had been for a while there I was making my own high calorie mass building shake on a few days a week before I went to bed. Ingredients: whole milk, 1 or 2 scoops of whey, oats, greek yogurt or cottage cheese, peanut/almond butter, sometimes a few raw eggs, bcaa's, creatine. Been thinking about starting to throw a few of these back into the mix

smtimelevi
12-04-2012, 06:42 AM
2 a day is the most I drink. Mixed Just with Water. Sometimes if im in a rush I drink them instead of a meal. Always drink one after a workout. They work well for me, I definitely notice the difference in my body when I drink them.

h2s
12-04-2012, 08:12 AM
I reach for them once and awhile. Sometimes I will have a random day where I have 2-3, but typically more typical is 0-1 a day. Been a bit different now since I have a new peptopro source.

Rodja
12-04-2012, 08:16 AM
I have two at the most per day. I've been using ISS Oh Yeah! protein for months now and I use two scoops in water.

DJM
12-04-2012, 09:28 AM
im a little different in my protein needs so alot more than most
AM is 2scoops (54g protein) problend with pb and banana
PREWO is 25g protein peptopro
POSTWO 2scoops problend in water on drive back, immediately following workout
PREBED 2scoops problend in water, sometimes with a spoonfull of almond butter

i do eat alot too, just to maintain muscle quality at my weight, this works best last while
saturday i might do one in the am before i train, but cause sat i eat so much i dont bother with the shakes

Mr_math
12-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Anywhere from 1-3. Mixed with water mostly. Usually a custom blend, prewo usually wpc/wpi at 25g, post 53g with a few types.

USN HM 350Z
12-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Now that I am back home I train first thing in the morning so I take a 25g shake 1 hour pre workout. I take 50g post workout and sometimes another 25-50g prior to bed. I try to eat 5-6 whole food meals as well.

Cobalt
12-04-2012, 04:05 PM
I only do 2 a day at most.

I'll have one (40g) first thing in the morning when I get up, and another right after my workout.

I use Optimum Nutrition, they make some good stuff.

sluggy
12-05-2012, 07:31 AM
Two protein shakes max, plus my intra workout drink.

josh
12-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Currently 5 a day

DJM
12-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Currently 5 a day
whats the rest of the diet looking like?

burlyman30
12-05-2012, 09:50 AM
0-2. Depends on the day. I'm a big proponent of eating real food and I think gains are better when shakes are used to fill in the gaps of your dietary program rather than being the center of it..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

nate3993
12-05-2012, 11:57 AM
3-4, CEPT i never make a protein shake with just protein powder. i'll use 6-9 egg whites, 3-4 yolks, and 1 scoop, or less than one scoop of rx whey's casein so although i drink a lot of shakes, it's mostly egg whites with some protein powder. the protein powder is mostly for taste and a little extra protein.

JM1000
12-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Some days I will struggle to get 370-400 g protein so shakes comme in handy.. Other days no problem stuffing in the food.. I guess it depends on your appetite and eating habits!

burlyman30
12-05-2012, 12:57 PM
3-4, CEPT i never make a protein shake with just protein powder. i'll use 6-9 egg whites, 3-4 yolks, and 1 scoop, or less than one scoop of rx whey's casein so although i drink a lot of shakes, it's mostly egg whites with some protein powder. the protein powder is mostly for taste and a little extra protein.

You should know that raw eggs contain a compound called avidin that robs your body of Biotin, aka vitamin B-7. Avidin binds tightly to it, preventing absorption.

josh
12-05-2012, 04:18 PM

Milled flax seeds and fish oil, see - VELOCITY LIFE | The New Science of Rapid Body Transformation (http://velocity.t-nation.com/free_online_program/sports_body_training_diet_velocity/velocity_diet_30)

burlyman30
12-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Currently 5 a day

Milled flax seeds and fish oil, see - VELOCITY LIFE | The New Science of Rapid Body Transformation (http://velocity.t-nation.com/free_online_program/sports_body_training_diet_velocity/velocity_diet_30)

Do you eat real food?

josh
12-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Do you eat real food?

Currently only 1 meal once a week is solid food

Rulk
12-05-2012, 04:58 PM
If I have just a shake, most times I like to add a carb food. Something like a banana or apple, or even Almonds. I try to make it as much of a mini whole food meal as possible, when possible.

BBG
12-05-2012, 05:19 PM
I reach for them once and awhile. Sometimes I will have a random day where I have 2-3, but typically more typical is 0-1 a day. Been a bit different now since I have a new peptopro source.

This. I usually will just drink one if I think "hmm, today is a little low on protein."

Though I'll be drinking 3-4 a day when my next plan kicks in.

BBG
12-05-2012, 05:25 PM
To the Velocity diet stuff (aka Josh eating little real food):

It works. My buddy used the velocity diet for his first precontest. As a natural athlete (100% all natural, trust) he slimmed down really fast. It was just insanely difficult to stay on the diet. I don't see it being worth the muscle loss but it's extremely effective at making someone really lean, really fast.

josh
12-05-2012, 05:38 PM
To the Velocity diet stuff (aka Josh eating little real food):

It works. My buddy used the velocity diet for his first precontest. As a natural athlete (100% all natural, trust) he slimmed down really fast. It was just insanely difficult to stay on the diet. I don't see it being worth the muscle loss but it's extremely effective at making someone really lean, really fast.

For me, the goal isn't so much about the fat loss but rather the mindset. I have been having a hard time sticking with dieting recently and am taking this challenge on as a way to give myself a hard reboot sort to speak. I was recently reading Dan johns book Never Let Go in which he has a chapter on free will followed by a chapter on the velocity diet and it sounded like a good plan for me.

BBG
12-05-2012, 05:45 PM
For me, the goal isn't so much about the fat loss but rather the mindset. I have been having a hard time sticking with dieting recently and am taking this challenge on as a way to give myself a hard reboot sort to speak. I was recently reading Dan johns book Never Let Go in which he has a chapter on free will followed by a chapter on the velocity diet and it sounded like a good plan for me.

Interesting. Shugart over at Tnation says the V diet is good for this as well.

Are you using Tnation supps as well?

josh
12-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Are you using Tnation supps as well?

Hell no

O_RYAN_007
12-05-2012, 08:27 PM
I only do 2 a day at most.

I'll have one (40g) first thing in the morning when I get up, and another right after my workout.

I use Optimum Nutrition, they make some good stuff.

I used to use that stuff for a very very long time, and believe me, RXWhey trumps them any day... Flavor, consistency, and RXWhey has absolutely no fillers of any kind in any of their products. I'll stand by these guys for a very very long time!!!

DJM
12-05-2012, 08:38 PM
seems excessive

you counting grams of meat or protein in it?
Some days I will struggle to get 370-400 g protein so shakes comme in handy.. Other days no problem stuffing in the food.. I guess it depends on your appetite and eating habits!

O_RYAN_007
12-05-2012, 08:38 PM
I'll eat bfast, and drink a shake consisting of 1 scoop of pro blend, 1 scoop of toco-8, 2000mg of vit c, 1 scoop of Raw Fiber (garden of life), and I use this to take my vitamins for the day. I'll have 12 g of peptopro, 3 g of creatine hcl, 6 g of citrulline malate, and 1.5 g of agmatine sulfate pre workout. I'll also have a post wo shake with 12 g of peptopro and 2 scoops of pro blend. Lastly, I'll have 2 scoops of casein protein before bed. I do eat 5 real meals a day too. This works for me, and I also drink over 1.5-2 gallons of water/day.

Rulk
12-05-2012, 10:55 PM
^ Those shakes sound well thought out O_Ryan. Kind of reminds me of how I want to start juicing and adding in protein powder.

Scope75
12-05-2012, 11:35 PM
None!!
Right now.. Lol
I always feel like I get leaner and in better shape without shakes or protein powder in general. I like to eat it for a snack so I end up going overboard so I just don't keep it around or I keep it where its a pain to get to.
Will be picking up some items from RXwhey soon for some pepto pro and and pro blend.

O_RYAN_007
12-06-2012, 06:37 PM
^ Those shakes sound well thought out O_Ryan. Kind of reminds me of how I want to start juicing and adding in protein powder.

Some may say its excessive, but oh well, it def works for me!

Grape Ape
12-08-2012, 11:47 PM
2 a day max.

Usually mixed with oats, whole milk, and peanut butter. All to help add the extra calories this winter.

Rulk
12-09-2012, 01:13 AM
Some may say its excessive, but oh well, it def works for me!

Right. If your seeing results and it's working, then thats about enough said. Some times optimal does not equal feasability.

ctAL
12-17-2012, 12:14 AM
none

i use humapro, i swear by it too. i been using it since 2010 now.

BBG
01-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Workout days: 4 25 gram peptopro shakes a day, plus 1 50 gram micellar casein shake.
Non-workout days: 1 25 peptopro shake, 1 25 gram regular whey protein shake, 1 50 gram micellar casein shake.

Scope75
01-05-2013, 08:27 PM
BBG what's your protein bill a month look like??

BBG
01-05-2013, 10:31 PM
BBG what's your protein bill a month look like??

Too much ;) around 100-150

Scope75
01-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Damn!!
That's a lot of coin in a year.
Do you see better/more gains when your using that much protein from shakes??
Also how many whole meals and cals do you take in everyday??

BBG
01-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Damn!!
That's a lot of coin in a year.
Do you see better/more gains when your using that much protein from shakes??
Also how many whole meals and cals do you take in everyday??

A real quick breakdown:

Workout Days:

- Meal 1: 2 cups oatmeal + 8 eggs
- Meal 2: 1 cup rice + 1 lb chicken
- Meal 3: 1 can of beans + 2 cans of tuna (50g protein)
- 3 grams leucine during workout
- Meal 4: 50g rilose, 25 grams PeptoPro
- Meal 5: 50g rilose, 25 grams PeptoPro
- Meal 6: Repeat one of the above whole food meals
- Meal 7: 50g Casein pre bed

On non-workout days, I increase the amount of carbs at each meal, and add an extra whole food meal to keep calories up.

During carbless postworkout days:

- Meal 1: 2 cups oatmeal + 8 eggs
- Meal 2: 1 cup rice + 1 lb chicken
- Meal 3: 1 can of beans + 2 cans of tuna (50g protein)
- Meal 4: (if I can squeeze it in) 1 cup rice + tilapia (~50g protein worth)
- 3 grams leucine during workout
- Meal 4: 25 grams PeptoPro
- Meal 5: 25 grams PeptoPro
- Meal 6: 25 grams PeptoPro
- Meal 7: 25 grams PeptoPro
- Mean 8: 50 grams Casein

Scope75
01-05-2013, 10:56 PM
That's bunch of meals/shakes..
If I ate that often I'd lose my job. Lol

BBG
01-05-2013, 10:58 PM
That's bunch of meals/shakes..
If I ate that often I'd lose my job. Lol

Working from home win

Scope75
01-06-2013, 12:11 AM
Self employed.. But I work on heavy equipment.

Jorsn
01-06-2013, 01:52 AM
Right now I drink one shake a day... If any at all. Some days after the gym i'm not in the mood to eat so I have a shake, Other days i'm hungry so I eat a meal. Right now i'm training for a half marathon so I need to find a way to get more calories into my diet. I'm using up all of my vegan protein from true nutrition, After that i'll switch over to RX's new vegan protein blend. That and i'll use 25g's of peptopro pre and post work out. I'll start experimenting with CarboSlin, Rilose, PeptoPro, Vegan Pro and Fresh Whey Isolate.

DJM
01-06-2013, 10:38 AM
why the vegan? you are vegan? if so why the whey then? curious

Scope75
01-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Speaking of vegan protein.
I had some samples of a vegan protien mix from the Olympia expo and damn that shit was good!! Had a different texture to it and it was creamy instead of watery. Straight pea protien is killer too.

h2s
01-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Speaking of vegan protein.
I had some samples of a vegan protien mix from the Olympia expo and damn that shit was good!! Had a different texture to it and it was creamy instead of watery. Straight pea protien is killer too.

I have never even looked at a label for vegan protein...is it just a combination of veg protein sources?

Scope75
01-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Yeah one was a mix. Don't have the packet but I know it had drawing of a few different veggies on he front.

Jorsn
01-06-2013, 10:16 PM
why the vegan? you are vegan? if so why the whey then? curious

Because i'm gluten/lactose intolerant and its one of the few protein drinks that don't tear up my stomach. I'm just taking a gamble and hoping this new Fresh Whey Isolate wont tear me up. I used Primordials MAP last year and it didn't bother my stomach. So i'll add that back into my arsenal.

- - - Updated - - -

I have never even looked at a label for vegan protein...is it just a combination of veg protein sources?

I use true nutritions which is pea, hemp and rice. I also have Protein Factory potato protein which tastes like crap!!

ryansm
01-08-2013, 02:03 PM
I do 2 on training days and one on non-training days and I weigh over 300lbs. Of course back in the days I use to slam 3 or more per day.

TurkeyVulture
01-08-2013, 08:25 PM
I have 2 or 3 protein shakes a day. I keep boxes of myoplex next to my bed so if i wake up in the night i can pound one real quick.