PDA

View Full Version : GOMAD

Cobalt
12-05-2012, 11:52 AM
I get the concepts of the system, and I hear that it is recommended to younger people to get some weight packed on. Yet, once you get into lifting, you almost never hear anyone say anything about it. Why is that?

1 gallon of milk:
Brand: PET
Type: 2%
Serving size: 1 cup
Servings per container: 16
(all numbers below are for a full gallon)
Calories: 2080
Calories from fat: 720
Total Fat: 80g
Sat. Fat: 48g
Cholesterol: 3.2g
Sodium: 2g
Total Carbs: 192g
Sugars: 192g
Protein: 128g

I can see that 192g of carbs would be a no-go for cutting, but what about a bulking cycle? Everything seems pretty good, so why isn't it suggested as much?

burlyman30
12-05-2012, 12:51 PM
It's a great way for skinny runts (like I used to be) to get some extra calories in. Liquid calories are always easier.

Taking that further, though, say... to your situation. I doubt you need an additional 2000 calories in your diet while on the upcoming cycle. Probably 1000 or so would do, and while there's nothing wrong with a glass or two of milk with each meal (which could add 500-1000 cals a day), there's nothing wrong with saving half the jug for the next day.

All that being said, as long as you aren't watching carbs, it's a fast easy way to increase calories for your day. I did GOMAD before it had a name, back in my early teens. Definitely worked for a guy with a runaway metabolism.

xxiv
12-05-2012, 01:46 PM
I can see that 192g of carbs would be a no-go for cutting, but what about a bulking cycle? Everything seems pretty good, so why isn't it suggested as much?

diarrhea shit storms and liquid farts come to mind. most people can't tolerate that much milk.

Coolazice
12-05-2012, 01:51 PM
diarrhea shit storms and liquid farts come to mind. most people can't tolerate that much milk.

Not with whatever crap they are putting in there nowadays to preserve milk and to get cows to produce more of it, no.

AestheticOne
12-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Yeah the problem with it is my parents have ingrained into my brain that todays milk is actually really unhealthy for you and i forget but somewhere i read that milk actually is bad for you bones and doesnt help strengthen them like the old myth says... wonder if i can find that study again, ill go look around.

Freepressright
12-05-2012, 02:15 PM

LMAO!

Ah, yes... The 'brown showers' and the 'quick trots' from excessive lactose consumption... peppering the underside of a toilet seat near you!

AestheticOne
12-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Debunking The Milk Myth: Why Milk Is Bad For You And Your Bones | Save Our Bones (http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/) Here we go guys, give this a read if you haven't i thought it was interesting

xxiv
12-05-2012, 02:23 PM
LMAO!

Ah, yes... The 'brown showers' and the 'quick trots' from excessive lactose consumption... peppering the underside of a toilet seat near you!

fecal buckshot... most unpleasant. I can handle just about anything, i can eat $20 worth of taco bell no problem. Anywhere close to a gallon of milk a day for more than a few days in a row can be disastrous.

Cobalt
12-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Debunking The Milk Myth: Why Milk Is Bad For You And Your Bones | Save Our Bones (http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/) Here we go guys, give this a read if you haven't i thought it was interesting

People who write up these things make me want to punch them in the face.
Some of her facts are not only wrong, but the real facts are very skewed.

The only real source to anything in that write up was to one study that took 12+ years to do and was wildly flawed, because the people selected were only studied based on milk consumption and nothing else like OTHER foods eaten.

AestheticOne
12-05-2012, 03:06 PM
People who write up these things make me want to punch them in the face.
Some of her facts are not only wrong, but the real facts are very skewed.

The only real source to anything in that write up was to one study that took 12+ years to do and was wildly flawed, because the people selected were only studied based on milk consumption and nothing else like OTHER foods eaten.

im curious as to whats wrong / skewed just cause i dont know anything about what milk does other then i dont drink it cause it gives me runny noses.... lol

Rulk
12-05-2012, 03:52 PM
GOMAD is pretty cheap for all those calories and protein. The sugar content is no joke though. I'd leave GOMAD to the hard gainers.

Cobalt
12-05-2012, 05:34 PM
im curious as to whats wrong / skewed just cause i dont know anything about what milk does other then i dont drink it cause it gives me runny noses.... lol

Let me go ahead and say this:
Google "milk acidifies the body pH which in turn triggers a biological correction" (pulled straight from the page). You'll get a ton of results that are word for word the same.
When you get something like that and a TON of people do a copy-paste to it, and you have trouble finding other unique sources, that is a hint. The page is also trying to sell a book about bone health.

Now, as far as milk acidifying human blood, that is extreme. Milk itself is only 6.5-6.7 on the pH scale, 7.0 being neutral. Human blood is 7.35–7.45. Blood likes to be exactly in that range, so even if it is 7.34, it is considered to be acidic in respect to normal values. It is still basic by nature. If milk REALLY made blood levels "acidic" by dropping it below 7.0, you would be dead.

If the body need to make the blood more basic, because it does fall under the 7.35 level, the body regulates it by modifying breathing (more or less CO2 in the blood), making hydrochloric acid in the stomach, or sodium bicarbonate from the pancreas. The page states that the body breaks down its own bones to use the calcium to raise the pH. The only sources that I can find about the body breaking down bones is to use the calcium to build up other things (other bones for example) in the body, not modify the pH.

Going back to the "Like all animal protein, milk acidifies the body pH" bit.
If that is true, body builders who eat tons of animal protein should, in theory, just shatter because their bones are so weak.

"But unlike humans, once calves are weaned, they never drink milk again. And the same applies to every mammalian species on this planet."
But no other species are as advanced, smart and able-bodied as us.

She also goes on to source studies that disprove a link between dairy products and good bone health. The studies are very uncontrolled and the conclusion is pulled from a few numbers that don't mean crap.

Also QUOTED from another source that she uses to her defense is "The connection between calcium consumption and bone health is actually very weak". Really? That is just bullshit. Go ahead and stop intaking calcium all together, see what happens.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of facts in the writeup, but they are stretched so thin, they lose their meaning. She is using wording to her advantage to make milk seem like battery acid.

I DO agree with milk being highly processed and containing a lot of crap in it - that is true. But also think that the extra crap could be causing the negative effects, not the milk itself.

Nothing else was added into the topic either. You can take in all of the calcium that you want, but if you have low vitamin D levels, it won't be worth crap.

In closing, there are a LOT LOT LOT of variables that dictate bone health and other vitamin / mineral interactions. You can't just pick up one thing and go, LOOK! ITS BAD!

In the words of the famous Lewis Black, "Back in my days, we had one type of milk, moo-cow-fuck-milk.... and maybe chocolate moo-cow-fuck-milk."

Lewis Black - Milk Water - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXS5GBuk-GQ)
WATCH IT

Rulk
12-05-2012, 05:36 PM
So Cobalt, are you going to still go with GOMAD, or maybe halfGOMAD?

Cobalt
12-05-2012, 05:38 PM
So Cobalt, are you going to still go with GOMAD, or maybe halfGOMAD?

Probably halfGOMAD.
HGOMAD?

GOMAD/2?

Either way, I'm going to have it in there.

BBG
12-05-2012, 05:58 PM
GO½MAD

Nailed it.

burlyman30
12-05-2012, 06:20 PM
GO½MAD

Nailed it.

All the homogenized milk is marked HOMO... Nate get in here with a joke about that.

xxiv
12-05-2012, 07:27 PM
i was thinking of eating a dozen eggs a day but the acronym was a little grim.

h2s
12-05-2012, 08:03 PM
DEAD.

I had to type it out to get it. lol

BBG
12-05-2012, 08:27 PM
That's ominous.

There is also the Jar of Peanut Butter a day. JOPBAD

Cobalt
12-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Why did Cobalt's workout suck?
Because he decided to GOMAD.

What happens when Cobalt tries to eat too many eggs?
DEAD.

Wow I need sleep.

Rulk
12-05-2012, 10:50 PM
8 protein ounces of powder.. I need sleep too.

Grape Ape
12-07-2012, 11:24 AM
I try to drink anywhere from 4-6 glasses of milk a day, or 1-2 glasses with every meal.

Eden
12-09-2012, 10:51 PM
GOMAD got me from like 140-165, and was a large part of the reason I can eat more because after all the years of not eating enough my stomach was super tiny. However I know most people can't handle that much milk, it never bothered me thankfully.

I think the reason it's not mentioned as much when you get bigger is because when you're bigger you can handle just eating that amount of calories from solid foods, liquid calories is more for people who for whatever reason can't eat that many calories.

Cobalt
12-10-2012, 06:45 AM
That is a really good point. It just baffled me that something so simple would just vanish once you got into lifting.

Rulk
12-10-2012, 04:04 PM
I never heard of GOMAD till I saw it on the internet. I think with all the fancy supplements, basics like GOMAD easily get lost in the shuffle.

xxiv
12-10-2012, 04:23 PM
I think the reason it's not mentioned as much when you get bigger is because when you're bigger you can handle just eating that amount of calories from solid foods, liquid calories is more for people who for whatever reason can't eat that many calories.

agreed, It is easier for novice bulkers to wrap their minds around a simple volume of measure like a gallon of milk than it is to say add 2000 calories to what you are all ready eating. I just recently grasped the concept of proper nutrition and now i feel like i have been doing myself a disservice for the past few decades.

pman42
12-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Cobalt, the PRAL of foods is supposed to influence bone health. the PRAL being a measure of how alkaline or acidic the food makes the body (or what its ash residue is). you are correct that the body does maintain blood pH in a narrow range (this is why those 'alkaline diets' are BS) but I do believe under certain circumstances calcium can leach from the bones to modify this value. i would think that milk wouldn't acidify the body, however, as its high calcium content should make it a negative PRAL.