PDA

View Full Version : Sprinting - Injury prevention

Benq123
08-05-2019, 10:18 AM
How do you guys avoid the common injuries from sprinting?
Any specific tips/exercises? Or is it just a case of building up over time and getting your body used to the movement?

Marquis
08-05-2019, 10:36 AM
How do you guys avoid the common injuries from sprinting?
Any specific tips/exercises? Or is it just a case of building up over time and getting your body used to the movement?

You can build up to sprinting by going for incrementally faster jogs over a few weeks. When you’re ready to start sprinting, warm up before each session with a short, mid/fast-paced jog - I get my warm-up in on the way to the field where I do my sprints. Most importantly, DO NOT STRETCH BEFOREHAND, as you’ll be much more likely to pull a muscle, as I found out the hard way.

Cdsnuts
08-05-2019, 04:35 PM
You can build up to sprinting by going for incrementally faster jogs over a few weeks. When you’re ready to start sprinting, warm up before each session with a short, mid/fast-paced jog - I get my warm-up in on the way to the field where I do my sprints. Most importantly, DO NOT STRETCH BEFOREHAND, as you’ll be much more likely to pull a muscle, as I found out the hard way.

Sound advice here.

Also becareful of shin splints. You may need to build up the shin muscle to keep this at bay. As Marquis said, simply go slow and build up to explosive speed.

delsolrob
08-05-2019, 04:49 PM
myofacial release (like foam rolling) is quite helpful and is often more beneficial than dynamic stretching...this can help prevent muscle tears and will take some strain off connective tissue.

delsolrob
08-05-2019, 04:51 PM
Also, I moved this to the training section...

Benq123
08-06-2019, 01:02 AM
Also, I moved this to the training section...

Thanks

And thanks CD

Benq123
08-07-2019, 03:41 AM
Sound advice here.

Also becareful of shin splints. You may need to build up the shin muscle to keep this at bay. As Marquis said, simply go slow and build up to explosive speed.

Can I just ask, what is your opinion on type of shoe? Minimalist Vs maximalist or something in between?

Cdsnuts
08-07-2019, 09:00 AM
Can I just ask, what is your opinion on type of shoe? Minimalist Vs maximalist or something in between?

I personally like sprinting barefoot. You build the musculature in the ankles and foot itself and it's how we were designed to use them. I have in the past used the vibram five fingers minimalist shoe and I did like them. I always sprint on the grass because it's low impact and it allows me to use no foot wear.

You'll feel the difference after the first few sessions. You'll notice you're working muscles you didn't know you had in those areas.

Benq123
08-07-2019, 09:27 AM
I personally like sprinting barefoot. You build the musculature in the ankles and foot itself and it's how we were designed to use them. I have in the past used the vibram five fingers minimalist shoe and I did like them. I always sprint on the grass because it's low impact and it allows me to use no foot wear.

You'll feel the difference after the first few sessions. You'll notice you're working muscles you didn't know you had in those areas.

Thanks man,
Other than starting at a lower intensity and building up to full intensity over ~4 weeks, is there anything else you recommend when starting barefoot/minimalist sprinting to avoid injury? (Since my feet have been used to a mostly cushioned lifestyle)

Cdsnuts
08-07-2019, 09:40 AM
Thanks man,
Other than starting at a lower intensity and building up to full intensity over ~4 weeks, is there anything else you recommend when starting barefoot/minimalist sprinting to avoid injury? (Since my feet have been used to a mostly cushioned lifestyle)

If you haven't sprinted or ran in a good while, you're going to want to build up your shin muscle to avoid shin splints. You can do a few sets everyday as it's rather low impact. Aside from that, just start slow and build.

Benq123
08-07-2019, 09:56 AM
If you haven't sprinted or ran in a good while, you're going to want to build up your shin muscle to avoid shin splints. You can do a few sets everyday as it's rather low impact. Aside from that, just start slow and build.

Awesome, thanks a lot. Gonna order some VFF's and try those first

Benq123
08-25-2019, 05:03 AM

Would heavy bag boxing and jump rope also be a good form of HIIT to mix things up? Using the same 30 seconds on 6-8 rounds

Cdsnuts
09-13-2019, 01:45 PM
Would heavy bag boxing and jump rope also be a good form of HIIT to mix things up? Using the same 30 seconds on 6-8 rounds

Yes, and functional as well.

I still wouldn't compare then to sprints, but they can definitely be used as a form of HIIT as long as you're really going for it.