PDA

View Full Version : medicine slam ball routine for cardio and conditioning

xxiv
12-09-2012, 10:10 AM
I am looking to expand on my conditioning options at home. After the seagull shit incident last week I just don't feel like tire flipping. Its getting cold out so I'd like to bring it indoors for a little while anyways.

this is the site i get my stuff from and this is what i have been eyeballing.

Gymnastic Rings, Kettlebells At FringeSport — Slam Balls (http://www.fringesport.com/collections/medicine-balls/products/slam-balls)

Insight would be appreciated as to what weight ball would be the best investment for a first ball and what exercises are the most fun and beneficial.

h2s
12-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Subscribed. Not really my area as i dont do much conditioning at home, but i am still curious of the experiences of others

Cobalt
12-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Very interesting, get in shape by throwing shit to the ground? I'm game.

Scope75
12-09-2012, 11:08 AM
It'll for sures work!!
When I have to do manual labor using a sledge, moving feed/hay, cutting wood and things like that will leave me sore even thou I workout.

Rodja
12-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Another lovely consequence of the spreading of CF...

Med ball slams, along with any form of plyometrics and/or Oly lifts, are NOT designed for conditioning purposes. These are designed for maximal force development, which is something you cannot do in a fatigued state.

xxiv
12-09-2012, 11:51 AM
These are designed for maximal force development, which is something you cannot do in a fatigued state.

Where would I find a purpose for slam ball type exercises? What would you suggest to supplement tire flips?

Scope75
12-09-2012, 12:00 PM
I don't know of anything that can replace a tire flip because they are IMO one of the best full body workouts.
I love functional strength and that's what you get along with a bunch of other benefits from tire flips.

Rodja
12-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Where would I find a purpose for slam ball type exercises? What would you suggest to supplement tire flips?

Anything that is used for force development should be done at the beginning of a session and for low reps.

I don't know of anything that can replace a tire flip because they are IMO one of the best full body workouts.
I love functional strength and that's what you get along with a bunch of other benefits from tire flips.

Another annoying phrase: "functional fitness." WTF is that even supposed to mean?

Sorrow
12-09-2012, 02:11 PM
What would you suggest to supplement tire flips?

Kettlebell swings. Although it is a versatile tool and it's easy to put together some solid circuits. Single arm over head press, turkish getups, clean's, jerks, etc. That would be my vote. Probably start with a 35# bell.

Rational being: when tire flipping you should be firing your hips, keeping back straight and tight, and working grip. All three of those key attributes can be hit with a kettlebell. And it takes up virtually no space. Plant it in the corner when not in use.

just my 2 cents.

xxiv
12-09-2012, 03:07 PM
Kettlebell swings.

I'll get one, thanks for the insight.

Scope75
12-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Anything that is used for force development should be done at the beginning of a session and for low reps.

Another annoying phrase: "functional fitness." WTF is that even supposed to mean?
Functional strength is what I said not fitness.
Not sure what functional fitness is.
Id rather be strong in real life than just in the gym and that's what I mean by functional strength. It's strength you can apply to real life and tire flips do that for ME.

Rodja
12-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Functional strength is what I said not fitness.
Not sure what functional fitness is.
Id rather be strong in real life than just in the gym and that's what I mean by functional strength. It's strength you can apply to real life and tire flips do that for ME.

Functional fitness/strength is nothing but a marketing term that, once again, has become popularized by CF.

Scope75
12-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Your stuck on your CF hate or something but functional strength to me doesn't have anything to do with CF nor was it learned from CF.
I've never done CF or even read much about it.
I know guys that can lift more than I can in the gym but that doesn't always translate to real or functional strength, because I'm usually stronger or can use my strength better than they can.
Not wanting to get in a pissing match with you about this just wanted to make it clear that CF has no influence over me and my views on functional strength.

Rodja what would you say is the best exercise at home for cardio and conditioning and why aren't tire flips or the med ball slams good for that?

h2s
12-10-2012, 01:28 AM
Inb4prowler.

Scope75
12-10-2012, 01:37 AM
Inb4prowler.

Totally forgot about the Prowler!!
I need to build myself one of those.

Scope75
12-10-2012, 01:41 AM
Here's the blueprints to make your own Prowler.
http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s408/scope75/9FFCC1C1-26E6-4916-B464-EEE403DE69BC-191-00000049009E5211_zps231fce5d.jpg

josh
12-10-2012, 06:02 AM
Can you define functional strength for us then? What is your definition of it? And what is it about free weight training that makes it "non"-functional?

Cobalt
12-10-2012, 06:43 AM
Here's the blueprints to make your own Prowler.
http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s408/scope75/9FFCC1C1-26E6-4916-B464-EEE403DE69BC-191-00000049009E5211_zps231fce5d.jpg

WTF is that? Some kinda sex toy?
"The Prowler"
Sounds like something for a milf.

xxiv
12-10-2012, 07:14 AM
Can you define functional strength for us then? What is your definition of it? And what is it about free weight training that makes it "non"-functional?

I can't define functional strength but it think is has something with being able to open pickle jars.

Scope75
12-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Was that question for me or Rodja??

Rodja
12-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Was that question for me or Rodja??

I'm going to guess you.

Scope75
12-10-2012, 09:44 AM
I've already gave my definition of functional strength. It's strength you use or can use everyday in the real world and isn't dependent on how much you can lift or move in the weight room but what you can do in the real world.
Free weight training gives you functional strength but sometimes being strong in the weight room doesn't mean shit in the real world.
Now I never said free weight training is non-functional, and if it came off that way I didn't mean for it too.

Rodja
12-10-2012, 10:10 AM
I've already gave my definition of functional strength. It's strength you use or can use everyday in the real world and isn't dependent on how much you can lift or move in the weight room but what you can do in the real world.
Free weight training gives you functional strength but sometimes being strong in the weight room doesn't mean shit in the real world.
Now I never said free weight training is non-functional, and if it came off that way I didn't mean for it too.

You did imply that basic BB training doesn't translate into "real world" strength. If you train for strength in the gym, it will carryover to anything else.

Scope75
12-10-2012, 10:52 AM
You did imply that basic BB training doesn't translate into "real world" strength. If you train for strength in the gym, it will carryover to anything else.

Getting my thoughts threw in words isn't one of my strengths so if it came off that way that's not what I meant or was trying to say.
I lift to get stronger and fitter, so I train in the gym doing the basics and more, but I also do other types of training. Tire flips and things like that are just fun for me and that's one of the main reasons I enjoy and recommend them to others.

Coolazice
12-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Don't worry, Scope... I understand what you were trying to say. Not quite sure why you're getting your balls busted on this one when I'm sure others understood it too.

xxiv
12-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Inb4prowler.

I keep coming back to checking out prowlers but it's a little more $ than I want to spend on a new piece of equipment.

A good one with all the bells and whistles would be pretty fucking sweet but they don't come up too often on Cl.

Scope75
12-12-2012, 03:34 PM
I keep coming back to checking out prowlers but it's a little more $ than I want to spend on a new piece of equipment.

A good one with all the bells and whistles would be pretty fucking sweet but they don't come up too often on Cl.

1 page back I posted blueprints to make your own.
If you can't do it take it to a fab shop and they'll be able to build it and it should be less than retail if they are a decent shop.

xxiv
12-12-2012, 05:11 PM
1 page back I posted blueprints to make your own.
If you can't do it take it to a fab shop and they'll be able to build it and it should be less than retail if they are a decent shop.

I made my own the other day out of pvc but it didn't work out as well as I was hoping, my kids like it though. I would fabricate my own out of metal but after all that time, material and work it would be less cost to buy a new one with warranty and 1 year no questions asked return policy from the site i get my other stuff from.
I am going to pick up a kettle bell and add some variety to my routine, if i still need satisfaction I'll get a new one when fringesport run their holiday promo.

Scope75
12-12-2012, 06:12 PM
I've had those blueprints for a couple of years and still have t made one, and I have acces to the metal and welder to get it done.
Moving back into town will get me to build one so I can use it at the football field or baseball park.

xxiv
12-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Kettlebell swings. Although it is a versatile tool and it's easy to put together some solid circuits. Single arm over head press, turkish getups, clean's, jerks, etc. That would be my vote. Probably start with a 35# bell.

Rational being: when tire flipping you should be firing your hips, keeping back straight and tight, and working grip. All three of those key attributes can be hit with a kettlebell. And it takes up virtually no space. Plant it in the corner when not in use.

just my 2 cents.

I had my wife grab me a 35lb kettlebell from work the other day and I have been incorporating it into my routine. Thanks for the recommendation, it's a fun piece of equipment. 35 is plenty heavy but I'm going to go for some heavier ones just to have around, I should have gotten some years ago.

Scope75
12-17-2012, 04:53 PM
I had my wife grab me a 35lb kettlebell from work the other day and I have been incorporating it into my routine. Thanks for the recommendation, it's a fun piece of equipment. 35 is plenty heavy but I'm going to go for some heavier ones just to have around, I should have gotten some years ago.
What type of lifting or circuits are you doing with it?

xxiv
12-17-2012, 05:58 PM
mostly warm up stuff that I saw on youtube.

I went between swings and jumping rope for about 15 mins today and it was a little more than I could handle and my deadlifting suffered.

Scope75
12-17-2012, 06:15 PM
I hear you on that.
I'm debating if I should do 10 minutes warmup cardio before squats or just hit squats and do cardio after if I have the juice to get threw it.