PDA

View Full Version : It’s... worth it again

PashaSolid
12-11-2020, 04:54 PM
Okay, I’m still far from recovered, but this progress I’ve made it’s like... I’ve reached this point where I’m happy? Like I wake up and appreciate simple things my old self used to, walks in the park, photography, making music, sports and just generally chilling. That zen that I thought was gone is like coming back I guess? I feel motivated to earn and become a better person overall. Any guys that recovered or are almost recovered can relate? Almost like your distant past self just starts creeping back into you, it’s pretty hard to explain clearly with words. Like you get that familiar feeling of going outside and the smell of the trees stimulates your memory and calms you, like how it was before. Sorry if I’m rambling, just could use some input from some experienced guys on this, hopefully motivate some new guys too despite all the hardships going on in the world. Thanks brothers

Cdsnuts
12-12-2020, 11:15 AM
Okay, I’m still far from recovered, but this progress I’ve made it’s like... I’ve reached this point where I’m happy? Like I wake up and appreciate simple things my old self used to, walks in the park, photography, making music, sports and just generally chilling. That zen that I thought was gone is like coming back I guess? I feel motivated to earn and become a better person overall. Any guys that recovered or are almost recovered can relate? Almost like your distant past self just starts creeping back into you, it’s pretty hard to explain clearly with words. Like you get that familiar feeling of going outside and the smell of the trees stimulates your memory and calms you, like how it was before. Sorry if I’m rambling, just could use some input from some experienced guys on this, hopefully motivate some new guys too despite all the hardships going on in the world. Thanks brothers

Not really. I think you explained it just fine. And yeah, that's how it happens. For some reason the smells come back and make you remember what it was like before.

It will continue to get better and better.

Just keep doing the right thing.

Turnover25
12-12-2020, 01:29 PM
Not really. I think you explained it just fine. And yeah, that's how it happens. For some reason the smells come back and make you remember what it was like before.

It will continue to get better and better.

Just keep doing the right thing.

Can confirm. My sense of smell got much stronger on my current cycle and it almost feels like reconnecting back into the world and your surroundings.

Cdsnuts
12-14-2020, 01:46 PM
Can confirm. My sense of smell got much stronger on my current cycle and it almost feels like reconnecting back into the world and your surroundings.

It always amazed me how directly linked smell is to the brain. But when you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Smell is linked very strongly to memory for a reason. This is how animals know and remember where and when to get certain foods. It's literally connected directly into their brain for memory processing. Same thing for people. I can't tell you how many smells remind me of childhood, or certain important periods in my life. When I catch any of those smells, it brings back the memories attached to it instantly.

Turnover25
12-14-2020, 05:48 PM
It always amazed me how directly linked smell is to the brain. But when you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Smell is linked very strongly to memory for a reason. This is how animals know and remember where and when to get certain foods. It's literally connected directly into their brain for memory processing. Same thing for people. I can't tell you how many smells remind me of childhood, or certain important periods in my life. When I catch any of those smells, it brings back the memories attached to it instantly.

Same man. My favorite smell has got to be springtime when the snow melts and you can smell the grass. Brings me right back to childhood.

Starting my cycle the very first day, maybe 20 min after my first application I noticed my short term memory was trying to flicker back on (weird sensation) and I could smell my surroundings, walked into a public restroom that day and nearly puked lol.

PashaSolid
12-14-2020, 06:49 PM

Exactly man, “Reconnecting”. Thanks bro

PashaSolid
12-14-2020, 07:04 PM

Thanks for your input CD. Exactly that, certain smells take you back and I believe those memories are important for the sense of self. When I first crashed I recall that correlation between smell and memory/ surroundings becoming dull, making my surroundings as well as my own thoughts seem kind of foreign but it was certainly an aspect I was overlooking because of other sides. However the more I progress, the stronger the connection between smell and memories and sensations is becoming, which is helping tremendously with the derealization/depersonalization I developed post crash. Certainly a relieving part of the recovery process, beginning to feel familiar again.

LetsGo
12-14-2020, 10:23 PM

When I was in the library a few years ago, an old woman walked by. She was wearing some “old lady” type of perfume (“White Diamond” by Elizabeth Taylor,) and I immediately remembered it was my Grandma’s perfume. I was so surprised because I’d forgotten that she wore perfume at all, and I hadn’t smelled it since she died in 1995.

Cdsnuts
12-15-2020, 11:21 AM
Same man. My favorite smell has got to be springtime when the snow melts and you can smell the grass. Brings me right back to childhood.

Starting my cycle the very first day, maybe 20 min after my first application I noticed my short term memory was trying to flicker back on (weird sensation) and I could smell my surroundings, walked into a public restroom that day and nearly puked lol.

Spring time grass...one of my favorites. Or after it first starts raining on a summer day. The smell of the fresh rain on black top.

Zerolibido
07-23-2023, 09:32 PM
I can't Betts hard on

I.use my old sweat smell