PDA

View Full Version : 3 large meals vs. 6 smaller meals

Rulk
12-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Here is an article from Anabolic Minds: 3 Larger Meals Better Than 6 Smaller - AnabolicMinds.com (http://anabolicminds.com/forum/content/3-larger-meals-2419/)

Thought it would be a interesting topic to discuss here. From what I gather, most of us here have several smaller feedings throughout the day.

BR99TAL
12-10-2012, 06:08 PM
personally I like them larger meals way more than smaller.
why? those smaller meals make me more hungry afterwards than before I eat.

nonetheless, I very often just cant afford time (cooking, precooking, etc) to eat every 3hrs. (How would it look if a pack out a tupperbox with food in a meeting or whatever?)

as long as its working for ME, I wont change it.

Rulk
12-10-2012, 06:13 PM
I like the larger meals myself. Since doing intermittant fasting though, my appetite for large meals has diminished.

Jelisej
12-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Interesting article from BBC, which basically says that till recent history most of folks western civilisation used to eat one meal per day.

BBC News - Breakfast, lunch and dinner: Have we always eaten them? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20243692)

Rodja
12-10-2012, 06:38 PM
I eat when I'm hungry. Somedays, it's 7 meals and, others, it's 3 meals.

burlyman30
12-10-2012, 06:55 PM
I've eaten 4 meals a day for years. The three usual, plus one before bed. If I'm trying to gain weight/promote recovery, I make sure to add in a shake between a couple of the meals. That usually fits my life easier than adding an extra meal during the day.

Rulk
12-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Interesting article from BBC, which basically says that till recent history most of folks western civilisation used to eat one meal per day.

BBC News - Breakfast, lunch and dinner: Have we always eaten them? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20243692)

Ori Hoffmekler's book, the Warrior Diet is based on eating only at night, with one big meal, and a 2nd meal if really hungry. I dig a lot of what the book said, but for those who are working out hard and trying to boost recovery, strength, size and so on, it should be modified.

This article sounds a lot like the Warrior Diet book, but a interesting read nonetheless.

Mr_math
12-10-2012, 07:22 PM
For me 4 meals is easy. After that I find myself trying to figure out when to make it work. I've done 6-7 before for long spurts but I lived alone. Away from a GF and by myself. Now 4 is manageable for sure.

Jelisej
12-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Ori Hoffmekler's book, the Warrior Diet is based on eating only at night, with one big meal, and a 2nd meal if really hungry. I dig a lot of what the book said, but for those who are working out hard and trying to boost recovery, strength, size and so on, it should be modified.

This article sounds a lot like the Warrior Diet book, but a interesting read nonetheless.

Agreed. Most of the guys I used to pick up info about TRT etc... used to say that 2 meals a day is best- one upon raising and one I think 3-4 hrs prior to bed. 2/3 of cals should go into first meal- and they said if inbetween you have hunger or drop in sugar, increase first meal. I dont remeber theory why 2 meals. unfortunately.

Noa, you have a knack for starting interesting threads.

DJM
12-10-2012, 09:17 PM
i eat when im hungry too,which seems to be every few hours, which is about 6-8meals a day (work out of the house alot of the time, so easy to do).....to the point i do it like a robot.....oddly its the days i dont train that my eating gets fkd, seeing i dont plan a pre and postwo meal / shake , and the 2hr gap im in the gym...i tend to eat shittier on these day, i do eat big meals, but still 6-8 times a day, prob cause im high and ill do 3-4k cals in 2hrs......long story short, often, and alot most of the time

***i attempted the fasting thing recently, lasted 2wks, not for me

O_RYAN_007
12-10-2012, 09:24 PM
I eat 5 solid meals a days, and a couple shakes throughout the day. I recently went from 4-5 solid meals a day, and I'm digging 5 more. I just eat on my way home from work now and dinner 2-3 hr later.

Rulk
12-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Damn I hear you on that DJ. I am on task when it's a workout day and i'm all thumbs when it comes to a day where I don't workout. I would say you are one of the best eaters I know of though, competitor on non-competitor. Matt Porter is the best I know of personally.

DJM
12-10-2012, 09:29 PM
I would say you are one of the best eaters I know of though, competitor on non-competitor. Matt Porter is the best I know of personally.

me? how so?
yeah matt is great with macros, easily his strength and the reason behind his physique

Mr_math
12-10-2012, 09:57 PM
i eat when im hungry too,which seems to be every few hours, which is about 6-8meals a day (work out of the house alot of the time, so easy to do).....to the point i do it like a robot.....oddly its the days i dont train that my eating gets fkd, seeing i dont plan a pre and postwo meal / shake , and the 2hr gap im in the gym...i tend to eat shittier on these day, i do eat big meals, but still 6-8 times a day, prob cause im high and ill do 3-4k cals in 2hrs......long story short, often, and alot most of the time

***i attempted the fasting thing recently, lasted 2wks, not for me

Yeah that's the funny part. Think a lot of people are like that. If they don't do anything that day it's a total wrench in the system. Screws me up pretty bad.

Rulk
12-11-2012, 02:37 AM
me? how so?
yeah matt is great with macros, easily his strength and the reason behind his physique

How so? Well you practicaly built your physique on a vegetarian diet. I have heard your struggles to meet calorie quotas for the day, having to bulk up on carb sources. You chose to go with mosly clean sources of food, rather than take short cuts and gobble up empty calories, refined carbs, sugary snacks, fast food and whatever else you chose to avoid. You are mostly consistant with your dietary habits as well, something that is the backbone of a smart diet espousing health and promoting quality growth.

Don't get me wrong, your fried eggs with ketchup sure isn't the poster child for a bodybuilder mid journey, but you meet your macros, and you actually seem to know how much of whatever macros you need.

My biggest downfall is eating. Yeah, if your reading this, that means you've been eating everyday for your whole life. Eating is easy. But preperation, choosing, and sticking to something everyday to build a the body you want is something entirely different. I tried to follow the "Lifestyle", and I tell you what- its way WAY easier to sleep in and get your food haphazardly. It's harder to do it your way DJM, it's harder to be on point and be responsible everyday. Yeah you may not hit a home run every day, but for the most part you are on task.

Take a bow my friend, I give you props for doing a good job in the most mis-understood and under-rated aspect of of the athletic world. Eating for purpose.

DJM
12-11-2012, 07:11 AM
^^^haha thanks
one thing that has made it easy, is eating the same shit over and over, as you said, for purpose
i can eat the same tuna/eggs/quinoa for a month-2months, then get bored and replace it with say chilli and go that way for a while.....knowing what ill eat when helps, and alot of my day is that way

knowing what and when is trial and error, two meals may be similar in macros, but might not agree with me as say a lunch and a prewo....example i like eggs at noon but almost never the meal before i train and so on

fri night and all sat ill blaze lately and eat whatever, but even then i think my 'cheat' is pb n jelly, and/or pasta....not chips or cake ect

to what you stated, i like reading guys' diets in their cycle logs and wonder if they ever keep it up, and also why did they adjust it precycle as opposed to eat well for an extended period THEN cycle.......dont get me wrong i eat alot of trash too, but for 10-12yrs iv eaten well and for my body 75-80% of the time

another thing i never got, is the 'cheat day', seeing i dont see how the fuck you can plan sat as a cheat day when who knows, you might wake up, have a great workout and feel like eating well that day, and wed night the munchies hit hard.....i said lately i kill food fri/sat, but the urge for crap hits randomly, any time really, i just picked those 2 days to eat alot more by design as i wanna see if i can grow a little and this method works for me in keeping me lean while growing some

with age and exp, we all come around and see food is everything, we look like what we eat, and all the deca and tren and superdrol in the world cant turn shit into filet mignon

swole member jm1000 is young, my protege lol, got him to stop buying supps and emphasize food, the guy is making the best gains in his life right now, and at a young age has seen the light which is putting him way ahead of the pack (i troll am the odd day, and some of these cats fkn spend so much on 4-5 products a month as their 'stack' i dont see where they got money left to eat)

the veg part makes it tricky, but you do what you gotta do, when i stopped eating meat i adjusted.....i heard it at first, you dont eat meat what you ***, youll lose all your muscle ect.....well its been almost 7yrs and im ok

josh
12-11-2012, 08:05 AM
Why vegetarian?

DJM
12-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Why vegetarian?

decided didnt want to eat meat anymore because of the way animals are treated nowadays, i try to avoid all animal products as much as i can, which is hard seeing i learn all the time something new
i do eat eggs (not a dead animal imo, and they are free range)and occasionally fish, but this was only the last yr

i do like meat, or did, loved burgers, ect ect.....just the above is more important to me

josh
12-11-2012, 10:45 AM
What about a local farmer who ethically raises cattle and lets them graze for food?

Would you be opposed to this?

DJM
12-11-2012, 11:07 AM
^^^^the best way to eat..........at this point i prob wont ever eat meat in the forseeable future, but anything where the animal can graze and move around, and is fed grass/grain id advocate

besides the cruelty aspect i oppose, id think a cow that is pumped full of drugs, fed feces, and lives a short stressful life, prob isnt the best quality of meat

vegetarian regardless, i buy organic everything when possible, and dairy is from free range grass fed......besides better quality, tastes better, especially the fruit and veggies.......being in the city id say/think its a bit harder for someone tho........passed such a farm on the way back from a lake trip 2hrs north, grabbed a few dozen eggs (collected from the ground off roaming chickens), the eggs tasted somewhat better than the regular stuff i was buying and since switched to buying free run all the time (iv read that alot of eggs contain period blood too lmao, fkn nasty)

few guys on the old pp had access to local farms and even picked the cow and so on, would buy a ton of meat and just freeze it, and altho price is higher, they universally agreed the quality of the meat far exceeded anything packaged and store bought

iv done this the last year or so, buying organic and such, and slowly it has shown in my physique as well as just feels better.......gotta put good stuff in to look good......a big mac may say 20g protein but its no chicken breast (for the meat guys)

josh
12-11-2012, 11:18 AM
^^^^the best way to eat..........at this point i prob wont ever eat meat in the forseeable future, but anything where the animal can graze and move around, and is fed grass/grain id advocate

besides the cruelty aspect i oppose, id think a cow that is pumped full of drugs, fed feces, and lives a short stressful life, prob isnt the best quality of meat

Those are valid points of opposition but only really to commercial feed lot meat.

Check out eatwild.com it is a directory of local farmers. It is also how I met all of my farmers. Every year I put an order in for 2 shares of a cow which the farmer raises ethically, grain free and hormone free.

Not to take away from your concerns because I agree they are all valid, but there are other options for meat that those issues you have won't be a problem with. And as for the price, my shares come to roughly $4/lb which isn't too shabby considering a third of the order is steaks!

burlyman30
12-11-2012, 11:52 AM
What about a local farmer who ethically raises cattle and lets them graze for food?

Would you be opposed to this?

My father in law raises free range hormone free beef. I can attest to the vast difference in taste, quality, and leanness of the meat. It is night and day.
When I have people over for a barbeque, the comment I get every time is "What do you put on the burgers? This is the beat tasting burger I have ever eaten!" My answer: "Nothing ".

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

h2s
12-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Those are valid points of opposition but only really to commercial feed lot meat.

Check out eatwild.com it is a directory of local farmers. It is also how I met all of my farmers. Every year I put an order in for 2 shares of a cow which the farmer raises ethically, grain free and hormone free.

Not to take away from your concerns because I agree they are all valid, but there are other options for meat that those issues you have won't be a problem with. And as for the price, my shares come to roughly $4/lb which isn't too shabby considering a third of the order is steaks!

I have been talking to the GF about doing this. We will be moving later this year, and at that time will probably grab an extra freezer to pull it off.

KAB111
12-11-2012, 12:48 PM
I am lucky, this is pretty much all we eat. I have friends that raise organic beef, chickens.... We buy the whole cow and have it butchered and stock the freezer. Lots of people here have chickens so they can have there own eggs. Your right, free range organic grass fed tastes alot better. Lots of local gardens and farmers markets to buy from. It is a little spendy but the quality and the taste is well worth it.

vegetarian regardless, i buy organic everything when possible, and dairy is from free range grass fed......besides better quality, tastes better, especially the fruit and veggies.......being in the city id say/think its a bit harder for someone tho........passed such a farm on the way back from a lake trip 2hrs north, grabbed a few dozen eggs (collected from the ground off roaming chickens), the eggs tasted somewhat better than the regular stuff i was buying and since switched to buying free run all the time (iv read that alot of eggs contain period blood too lmao, fkn nasty)

few guys on the old pp had access to local farms and even picked the cow and so on, would buy a ton of meat and just freeze it, and altho price is higher, they universally agreed the quality of the meat far exceeded anything packaged and store bought

iv done this the last year or so, buying organic and such, and slowly it has shown in my physique as well as just feels better.......gotta put good stuff in to look good......a big mac may say 20g protein but its no chicken breast (for the meat guys)

O_RYAN_007
12-11-2012, 03:04 PM

I agree with everything DJM says here. I went mostly organic with fruits veggies, meats, eggs, and milk over the past 6 months and the difference is in taste and quality is very obvious. I found a guy in my home town that sells free range grass fed beef at a very reasonable price. Most people in my home town are cheap and this drives the price down for me living in the city. I just need to buy a huge deep freezer so I can stock it full up my meats! It get really pricey when buy in smaller qtys.

DJM
12-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Strength Ultra Man Enhancing Workout Omelette Waffle - Epic Meal Time - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1pSOOy1fts&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

Mr_math
12-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Strength Ultra Man Enhancing Workout Omelette Waffle - Epic Meal Time - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1pSOOy1fts&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

Oh my....

h2s
12-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Oh my....
Light appetizer.

Scope75
12-17-2012, 11:12 AM
I usually eat 2 meals a day with 2 high cal snacks a day.
The first of the year I'll be eating 4 meals a day with a couple lower cal snacks a day.
All 4 meals will be a protien and veggies. Carbs will only be in the meals that need them or when I want them.

Scope75
12-17-2012, 12:07 PM

Love these videos!!
Makes me want to eat waffles and hamburgers no bun!!!

LBC-83
09-27-2013, 06:12 AM
Ban Hammer GO!

burlyman30
09-27-2013, 06:49 AM
Ban Hammer GO!

Ban hammer initiated! ;-)