PDA

View Full Version : Mark dugdale offseason diet/program w/john meadows

DJM
12-11-2012, 09:57 AM
(TAKEN FROM CJM WHERE I ORIGINALLY SAW IT)

That's because it is. I will post the blog that went along with it. I got it from a thread at RX.

November 2012: Mark Dugdale 2012 Offseason Plan
by Mark Dugdale

Thanks for tuning in guys. I am going to share a little about my evolution this offseason. My thoughts from the last contest, all the way to my current plan of action.

I swore off the 202 division in 2010, after placing 4th in the PBW Tampa Pro in 2011; narrowly missing an Olympia qualification in the open division. That same year the IFBB raised the 202 to 212, so as quick as I was “out” of the lighter weight class, I was lured back in! This past February I placed 2nd in the Desert Muscle Classic. I was not happy at all…does anyone train for less than 1st? I certainly don’t. Not to mention the IFBB changed the rules so that only those who win earn an Olympia berth. Truthfully, my disappointment ran a bit deeper because I was not entirely happy with the look I brought to the stage. Bringing my personal best to a competition is a reward in itself and I knew that was not the case at the Desert Muscle Classic.
Post-contest is always a mix of emotions for me. The competitor isn’t satisfied and wants to get back onstage immediately. The realist says I’m 37 and subjecting my body to numerous contests never leads to a better physique. My wife just wants her husband back. She says I’m like a ghost when I diet. And for those that don’t already know I have three daughters – 10, 12 and 14 whom need a dad that will engage with them…and scare off boys.
The ability to step on the Olympia stage is a huge honor and I’m blessed to have experienced it twice in my life – 2007 in the open and 2009 in the 202 division. Frankly at this point I don’t want to merely say I stepped on the Olympia stage again; I want to be a threat for the title. With this in mind I chose to forego further attempts to qualify for this years Olympia and get back to my first love – attacking the iron.

I realized that if I wanted to improve, something must change in the gym…but what? I’ve tried cranking up the intensity via heavier poundage only to find myself riddled with injuries.
I’ve torn:

both hamstrings
a pec
a quad

And for good measure, MRI’s revealed 50% cartilage loss in my knee, and I could nearly hang with some powerlifters if not for nagging lower back issues. I know I still got several good years left in me and my passion for training hasn’t waned, but my body seemed unresponsive.
Providentially I attended the Arnold Classic Expo a few weeks after the Desert Muscle Classic and a photo shoot landed me in Elite FTS Gym in London, OH. Over the past year I had been reading articles on T- Nation and one guy’s approach really resonated with me. I was pumped to learn that he would be at Elite the same day as my shoot.

Enter John Meadows.

My off-season strategy became – survive John’s workouts, lol! Actually, that was all I thought about initially. For nearly a decade I was a HIT disciple because I’ve been diagnosed as a high intensity addict. I toyed around with German Volume Training and other higher volume methods when progress stalled, but never found a viable training solution that continued to return results without hitting burn-out or a plateau. I seriously loved the intensity and challenge of HIT, but my body was trying to tap-out as injury after injury occurred.
John brought back that intensity and challenge but in all-new, masochistic ways. The ingenuity lies in the programming of exercises, keeping things in continual flux and using things like bands and chains to unload weight in the danger zone of exercises. Mountain Dog Training proved safer and more effective while giving me the license to go balls out again.
So here I am. Rolling into the final weeks of my third 12-week training cycle, and I don’t recall experiencing this much fun weight training since I bought my first weight bench. Obviously the goal is to gain muscle because this is the off-season, but I’m a little different in my approach. The key word is gain muscle…not fat. Excessive fat serves very little benefit, especially if you are sitting at a high, double-digit body fat percentage. I can’t tell you how many emails I get from guys asking questions about how to “bulk up”. My first question is always, “What’s your best guess as to your body fat percentage?” I bet half the responses are +20% and I’m thinking, “Is that even possible?! I’ve heard of girls being over 20%, but guys?!” If this is you, John has a great Get Lean Package that’s right-up-your-alley!

Presently, I’m training seven days a week!
Yes, you read that correctly and frankly I’m even a little shocked. I’m shocked for one that I can recover training this hard, and two that I’m having the time of my life doing it. So how is this possible, legally? In a word – Nutrition. And not just eating a well-balanced diet, but eating intelligently and timing your nutrition in accordance with your training. It’s made a world of difference for me.
In regards to my training schedule, I’m hitting three workouts really hard with various intensity techniques thrown in – drop-sets, accumulation-sets, super-sets, bands, chains, the kitchen sink, lol…whatever John can think up! These boil down to four days – 1) quads and hamstrings, 2) chest and shoulders, 3) back, and 4) biceps, triceps and calves. The other three days of the week are considered “optional workouts”…but there is no option for me…I’m not built that way.
The three optional workouts filling out the remainder of the week – 1) quads and hamstrings, 2) chest and shoulders, 3) back. High intensity techniques are shelved on these days in exchange for fascia-splitting pumps and explosive work with lighter weight. Trained correctly these workouts actually help facilitate the recovery process, affording me the opportunity to go ape-shit on the weights when the high-intensity days roll around again. This is exactly what I’m doing right now:

Monday 5:30PM – quads and hamstrings (heavy)
Tuesday 5:30AM – abs and calves
Tuesday 5:30PM – chest and shoulders (heavy)
Wednesday 5:30AM – back (heavy)
Thursday 5:30PM – quads and hamstrings (light/explosive)
Friday 5:30AM – chest and shoulders (light/explosive)
Saturday 10AM – biceps, triceps, calves and abs
Sunday 6AM – back (light/explosive)

As far as nutrition is concerned I’ve shied away from carbs over the last several years, but since working with John they’ve found their way back into my diet in greater quantities. I’m still not a mega-carb or mega-calories eater, but both are crucial when training this hard. The training volume allows me to forgo cardio while staying in relatively good shape. I’m not significantly heavier than past off-seasons, but I feel like the quality of the weight is much better.

The pre-intra-post workout nutrition is the most important element of my entire diet. Timing the consumption of fast acting protein and high molecular weight carbs to when the most blood flow is going to the muscles is vital to recovery. I don’t care how well thought out the food choices you’re consuming throughout the day, or the extent of your supplement arsenal; if you’re not getting what the muscles need most during the training window you won’t recover training the way I am. I know because I’ve tried. Without the pre-intra-post workout nutrition I’m doing right now…I fell apart in a hurry.
Logic says that if I’m training with more intensity, volume and frequency and not grinding myself into the ground, but actually pumped to get my hands on more iron – the body must adapt with positive improvements. It’s this fact that has me optimistic about my progress. I’m a firm believer that contests are won in the off-season because getting ripped is simply the green fees to show what you did in the gym the rest of the year. John’s program is forcing my body to do things it which it’s never previously done. What will the end result be? We will all get to see next May at the New York Pro.

All the best,
Mark Dugdale

- - - Updated - - -

Food Quantity Carbs Protein Fat

Shake One
Whey isolate (cold-processed) 1 scoop 1 20 0

Meal One
Bison (ground) 4 ounces 0 23 9
Eggs (pastured) 3 whole 0 24 18
Basmati Rice 1 cup 46 2 0
Coconut oil 1/2 tablespoon 0 0 6

Meal Two
Lettuce Shredded 2 cups 3 0 0
Arugula baby 1 cup 5 1 0
Fage Greek Yogurt 2 tablespoons 4 8 0
Chicken Breast 125 grams 0 32 3
Olive Oil 1/2 tablespoon 0 0 7
Basmati Rice 1/2 cup 23 1 0
Walnuts handful 2 2 9

Shake Two
Whey isolate (cold-processed) 2 scoops 2 40 0

Meal Three
Lettuce Shredded 2 cups 3 0 0
Arugula baby 1 cup 5 1 0
Fage Greek Yogurt 2 tablespoons 4 8 0
Chicken Breast 125 grams 0 32 3
Olive Oil 1/2 tablespoon 0 0 7
Basmati Rice 1/2 cup 23 1 0
Walnuts handful 2 2 9

Shake Three
Protein Pulse Casein Hydrolysate 11 20 0

Shake Four
Protein Pulse Casein Hydrolysate 11 20 0
Pre/Intra/Post Training Drink 161 80 0

Meal Five
Wild Boar 5 ounces 0 40 6
Basmati Rice 1 cup 46 2 0
Mixed Veggies 1 cup cooked in 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil 10 2 6

Shake Three
Vitamineral Greens 1/2 serving 5 4 0.5
Natural Vitality Natural Calm Magnesium 0 0 0
Super Seed (Garden of Life) 1 serving 8 7 2.5

375 372 86

DJM
12-11-2012, 10:57 AM
take note of the macros, for a long time iv felt guys are over fkn eating on cycle, and how can they tell food gains from hormone gains when they bump to 5k cals on cycle

also the protein, for a high ranking pro not even 2g per pound, when skinny fucks all over the forums are aiming for 400g on their hdrol cycle, same guys are surprised i can be almost 220 without meat.....mmmmmmm

look at the quality of the food however...........again to reiterate when i posted in another thread, its all about fkn food
i believe i posted in an rx whey feedback thread how i bomb myself with protein and aminos pre/intra/post, thought might be overkill but works, well seems like meadows agrees in the food timing approach

its info like this that younger guys skip over and search for the best otc pct to a epi/sd cycle.......its a shame

h2s
12-11-2012, 11:04 AM
So should I double the above if I am running this with epi?

josh
12-11-2012, 11:09 AM
N=1 is not enough to base recommendations for the general population

Also, the macro intake for a professional bodybuilder is hardly relevant.

DJM
12-11-2012, 11:12 AM
hahah yeah man
aim for 3g per pound!!!

really tho, can any of us actually afford 2.5-3g+ per pound ed? thats alot of fkn meat.....not to mention the look of disdain from the gf/wife from all the gas being passed

the brolore of protein amounts, i tend to agree with the notion it was started by supp companies to increase sales.....i do not disagree with a high protein diet to build a solid physique, but i do have a problem with the excessive amounts that some people feel they need.........read somewhere years ago that dexter was around 400g a day also, and he needed a couple shakes to hit it....n the guy is 230 shredded, 245 off season......not a 23yr old 175lb hdrol user looking to add 12lbs in 6weeks

DJM
12-11-2012, 11:14 AM
N=1 is not enough to base recommendations for the general population

Also, the macro intake for a professional bodybuilder is hardly relevant.

i think it is sorta, alot of us aim for a more muscular physique, so why not look what they are doing and drop it back......thus if a 215+ top pro only gets in 375g protein ed.....the average 200lb guy prob doesnt need anywhere near that

weekend
12-11-2012, 05:49 PM
been hitting 250g a day all cycle and results are coming like no tomorrow lol

nate3993
12-11-2012, 06:07 PM
john meadows knows his shit. i will say though that dennis james has helped johnnie jackson make some serious improvements. but dennis and his clients just go too hard on the slin. one of denni's biggest faults was his massive massive waist.

but back on topic. good read man.

Rulk
12-11-2012, 07:37 PM
I've met Mark once before. Nice guy, very intellligent and keeps shit real. I wish him the best in his next show. Digging his diet and the pre-intra-post shake protocol.

O_RYAN_007
12-11-2012, 10:03 PM
take note of the macros, for a long time iv felt guys are over fkn eating on cycle, and how can they tell food gains from hormone gains when they bump to 5k cals on cycle

also the protein, for a high ranking pro not even 2g per pound, when skinny fucks all over the forums are aiming for 400g on their hdrol cycle, same guys are surprised i can be almost 220 without meat.....mmmmmmm

look at the quality of the food however...........again to reiterate when i posted in another thread, its all about fkn food
i believe i posted in an rx whey feedback thread how i bomb myself with protein and aminos pre/intra/post, thought might be overkill but works, well seems like meadows agrees in the food timing approach

its info like this that younger guys skip over and search for the best otc pct to a epi/sd cycle.......its a shame

Thanks for posting that my friend, tons of great info! Meadows is one smart mother!

Scope75
12-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Great read and info and I agree with DJM that's the stupid high protien diets got started by the supp companies and that's why all the forum pros think its the way to go.

Rulk
12-12-2012, 11:41 PM
I checked out John Meadows website. I'll be taking a closer look as time goes. The lean out program (12 weeks ) is $600, but damn it am I interested in it.

Scope75
12-17-2012, 11:08 PM
I checked out John Meadows website. I'll be taking a closer look as time goes. The lean out program (12 weeks ) is $600, but damn it am I interested in it.

Was just going back threw this thread for food ideas and noticed your post.

If you want to talk yourself into buying it think of it as 200 a month or 50 a week 50 bucks a week sounds cheap to me and if it works and leans you out its a priceless gift or treat to yourself!!

Rulk
12-18-2012, 01:46 AM
It's a good way of thinking about it Scope^.
We'll see how Dec/Jan goes. So far I am down in weight, so that is a good start.

Scope75
12-18-2012, 08:03 AM
It's a good way of thinking about it Scope^.
We'll see how Dec/Jan goes. So far I am down in weight, so that is a good start.
That's the way I get myself to buy things that seem like a lot but in reality when its broke down into smaller payments it seems more affordable.
More power to you if you do it all on your own and if you do that you'll have 600 extra to buy new clothes or supps.

DJM
12-18-2012, 08:36 AM
noa, from what i get you are 50-55lbs over your target weight.....im sure you can get alot closer to 220 via better food choices and consistency before you spend 6bills, then when you are 10-15lbs away id go for meadows' plan if you are still interested

i do get that a 600$ plan makes you accountable i guess......but with the pains you experience that should be enough big guy

h2s
12-18-2012, 09:25 AM
noa, from what i get you are 50-55lbs over your target weight.....im sure you can get alot closer to 220 via better food choices and consistency before you spend 6bills, then when you are 10-15lbs away id go for meadows' plan if you are still interested

i do get that a 600$ plan makes you accountable i guess......but with the pains you experience that should be enough big guy

I completely agree. While I am all for hiring a coach (I was planning on hiring Matt until some financial changes made it not so feasible), It would do you alot better to utilize something of that nature after you have achieved a certain amount of weight loss. You know alot about this game from chilling on the boards, put some of it to work.

Another suggestion I would do. Cut back on your supplements. You seem to have a real impulse approach towards supplement usage. I would suggest cutting back to just some protein sources (and your joint formula, since pain sucks). Put the rest of the money into consistent weekly groceries, and set a goal for yourself to prepare all meals and not eat out. Bring yourself back into the gym, and maintain your jj training. You will be suprised how much you can achieve in terms of results from that alone.

Scope75
12-18-2012, 10:31 AM

1000% agree with this!!!
I was 330+ and Ive been as low as 191 just this past week and I did it all by myself and it took a lot of reading, trial and error. Diet and nutrition should be a top priority right now and then get the training right. I lost some weight before I started lifting and when I added in cardio and resistance training the weight just flew off.
I try and only eat what I cook and keep the eating out to once a week and then its still meat and veggies.

You can do it without a coach no problem plus you have this forum and everyone here wants to see each other do good and are more than willing to help.

burlyman30
12-18-2012, 11:27 AM
You can do it without a coach no problem plus you have this forum and everyone here wants to see each other do good and are more than willing to help.

This. There is no magical "system". I've seen people gain weight while on reduction plans. The food choices might be dialed in, but then they can't push themselves away from the table. This is going to take consistent, daily effort. The only guy stopping you is the guy in the mirror. No supplement or system will ever take the place of self-imposed motivation to a goal.

Scope is dead on when he says you are already in an environment here where people want to see you succeed. Why don't you start logging this journey? We'd all come along on the journey, make recommendations, encourage you efforts, and be straight with you when you were off track.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

DJM
12-18-2012, 11:28 AM
yep, noa you just gotta suck it up man, youll be amazed at what 10wks of good eating and your bjj training will do.....iv seen you recently post/comment bout my eating which is far from perfect btw, and you referring to being lazy bout food and easier to order and eat out........your answer is there.....meadows cant change that

hts made a point iv always noticed but never commented, most guys 30+ yrs old get the buying the fancy new supp out of their system and go basic......you are still grabbing anything that comes down the pipeline and you gotta know they dont work, and if you think they do its you wanting them more than they really are working...........hts is right, spend on food

im gonna be a asshole here, i dont think you wanna lose it as bad as you say/think seeing iv known you a couple years and its been a couple years you have struggled with this.........you gotta think about your body bud, its slowly showing wear and tear cause of the weight, take care of yourself......i speak from exp, my friend is 6'1 265 , somehow even smaller than you, amazing shape from crossfit and mma (spars at tristar with the team even), but his ankles are shot....hes on a perpetual diet it seems but cant lose more than 5 without adding 10.....he knows it, says he wants to get down to 225, but will go slam a 12 and pig out every other night

not saying you do that, just saying instead of saying it, get it done, for your health......you could save money on the joint stuff then as you wont need them

good luck big guy, anyone who knows you more thna just the forums, knows you are a great guy, fkn teddy bear, and we all want you to fkn get this done

DJM
12-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Scope is dead on when he says you are already in an environment here where people want to see you succeed. Why don't you start logging this journey? We'd all come along on the journey, make recommendations, encourage you efforts, and be straight with you when you were off track.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
this noa ^^^ same accountability as a paid program, but free, and a dozen minds are better than one ...... all of us, me too, had to lose excessive weight at one point or another, be it from time off, an injury, surgery, glutony, ect

Scope75
12-18-2012, 12:04 PM
The food choices might be dialed in, but then they can't push themselves away from the table. This is going to take consistent, daily effort. The only guy stopping you is the guy in the mirror.
That's me to a tee!!
I make or buy a bunch of healthy food and I just can't stop eating!! Lol
Did I'd last night and sent back and forth with myself and ended up making the snack and eating a bunch more stuff.
That was the last night of that and all because of where this thread went!!!
NOA start up a log and we'll all join in and you should also start a cooking or healthy recipe thread.

Scope75
12-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Hey how about we get the first SwoleSource.com challenge started???
No prizes or anything involved it would be for Pure Bragging Rights!!!
Who's down for the SwoleSource.com PBR Challenge??

Start of the challenge should be 1/1/13!!

Rulk
12-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Best community ever. I'll do it guys and I appreciate the help.

Scope75
12-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Best community ever. I'll do it guys and I appreciate the help.

Just wanted to quote that so its on file!! Lol

Kill it bro!!
No time better to start than right now so get it going and most of all get that diet in check!

burlyman30
12-18-2012, 05:33 PM
I'll do it guys

Just wanted to quote that so its on file!! Lol

lol... you beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing. Noa, bro, you are committed now. lol.

Rulk
12-18-2012, 05:35 PM
In Shang Tsung's voice- "It has begun!....."

Noa's Diet (http://www.swolesource.com/forum/diet-nutrition/455-noas-diet.html)

Scope75
12-18-2012, 05:50 PM

Now the ball is rolling!!

DJM
12-18-2012, 08:06 PM

just the fact you took the last 2 pages as guys genuinely helping and not knocking, you really are a big man

cant say the same for alot of guys

Scope75
12-18-2012, 08:55 PM
just the fact you took the last 2 pages as guys genuinely helping and not knocking, you really are a big man

cant say the same for alot of guys

Its the quality of forum and members we have here.
Other forums would be bashing and knocking him down instead of helping him up and out the hole.

pman42
12-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Any info on what he takes pre/intra/post? just to say, I don't think this makes AS MUCH of a difference as some would have you believe-- i.e. if you don't take pepto vs whey isolate it's not a dealbreaker. but still i am curious.

sluggy
12-24-2012, 08:41 PM
John Meadows typically suggests:

PreWO (30-60mins): cream of rice/oatmeal, 1tbsp of nut butter and some whey iso
Intra: fast absorbing carb of your choice (a la vitargo), with peptopro and 10g leucine

You cannot have another protein source intra other than free form amino acids or hydrolysed whey/casein. Try drinking whey iso and tell me how long you made it before puking all over your gym.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2