PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones

h2s
12-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Curious what the rest of you use. I know there are alot of you that even use your phone for primary access to this board. I love cell phones. Commuting often on the train, they allow me to keep active online, along with email/music/etc...

I am finally leaving AT&T (Finally). I am currently on a Motorola Atrix. On route to my house is the new Droid DNA, under a verizon contract. 1080p 5 inch screen, Quadcore processor, 2g ram, 4G LTE, Wireless charging, 8mp camera, amplified headphone jack. To say I am excited is an understatement.

So how about you guys, any cell phone buffs?

AestheticOne
12-12-2012, 10:18 AM
looks like a sick phone h2s, i got an iphone 4s 32g because my best friends mom is loaded and bought her and her son the 5 the day it came out so she gave me her old 4s for free, im happy with it :) beats the hell out of my old LG vu.... piece of shit that was.

Cobalt
12-12-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm also with Verizon, finally dumped T-mobile after they shafted me.

I'm running a Droid Bionic. It is highly hackable and I enjoy it quite a bit, a huge upgrade over my Google G1 (aka, HTC Dream).

That phone does took sick h2s, gimmie a keyboard and I'd be hacking into stuff all day.

h2s
12-12-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm also with Verizon, finally dumped T-mobile after they shafted me.

I'm running a Droid Bionic. It is highly hackable and I enjoy it quite a bit, a huge upgrade over my Google G1 (aka, HTC Dream).

That phone does took sick h2s, gimmie a keyboard and I'd be hacking into stuff all day.

This is my first HTC. I am hoping custom roms are as fluid as they have been on other platforms, like Moto.

Mr_math
12-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Been a iPhone guy since first gen. Have 4s now. Probably upgrade next year. Fiancé has the 5. It's pretty damn nice. Enjoy the functionality. Been with AT&T since Cingular. Enjoy the discount I get :)

h2s
12-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Been a iPhone guy since first gen. Have 4s now. Probably upgrade next year. Fiancé has the 5. It's pretty damn nice. Enjoy the functionality. Been with AT&T since Cingular. Enjoy the discount I get :)

I had one of the iPhones, looking back I can't even remember which, but my gut tells me it was the second generation. I think they are good phones, but they are incredibly locked down and controlled, as most apple products seem to be. Like Cobalt, I like to be able to get into the inner guts of my operating system with relative ease.

I was with AT&T since Cingular, but unfortunately, their coverage has become much worse over time, or at least has not maintained progress with the competition. I live in Chicago. In a city of this size, I should have coverage EVERYWHERE. Unfortunately, there are service holes all over the city. Compared to my friends with Verizon/T-Mobile, I am always the only one with coverage issues.

My final straw was this black friday. My phone was due for an upgrade, and my gf's would be in 10 days. Amazon had a fairly good deal on the Galaxy SIII (ironically, the same they are offering it at now, I believe). I had spoken to AT&T to request that they change the upgrade date to that date, so I could take advantage of the deal and sign a new 2 year contract. They refused. I literally said "You are willing to lose a 6+ year customer, who is willing to sign a 2 year contract, on a day when every carrier is practically giving away phones to entice switch overs, all over 10 days?" to which they responded "Sorry." Well, so am I. I have a cheaper plan, unlimited minutes, and a better phone. I did lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan, but considering my GF hardly uses hers, the 4gigs we share will be more than enough (I average 2-2.5gigs a month, which yes, i know that amount on a phone is disturbing, lol).

Cobalt
12-12-2012, 11:24 AM
I did lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan, but considering my GF hardly uses hers, the 4gigs we share will be more than enough (I average 2-2.5gigs a month, which yes, i know that amount on a phone is disturbing, lol).

Only 2-2.5 gigs a month? Damn, I have a 4 gig plan and I'm either right at the edge, or even as high as 6 gigs total for the month (only a $10/gig overage charge, not bad).

I just work with computers way too much, so it is reasonable that I use as much as I do. I'm constantly remotely accessing networks to do stuff, and if I really need a file right now, I'll transfer the file. I've done a 2 gig file before because I needed it right then, and it took less time to download it than to drive back to the house to get it.

Mr_math
12-12-2012, 11:37 AM
I had one of the iPhones, looking back I can't even remember which, but my gut tells me it was the second generation. I think they are good phones, but they are incredibly locked down and controlled, as most apple products seem to be. Like Cobalt, I like to be able to get into the inner guts of my operating system with relative ease.

I was with AT&T since Cingular, but unfortunately, their coverage has become much worse over time, or at least has not maintained progress with the competition. I live in Chicago. In a city of this size, I should have coverage EVERYWHERE. Unfortunately, there are service holes all over the city. Compared to my friends with Verizon/T-Mobile, I am always the only one with coverage issues.

My final straw was this black friday. My phone was due for an upgrade, and my gf's would be in 10 days. Amazon had a fairly good deal on the Galaxy SIII (ironically, the same they are offering it at now, I believe). I had spoken to AT&T to request that they change the upgrade date to that date, so I could take advantage of the deal and sign a new 2 year contract. They refused. I literally said "You are willing to lose a 6+ year customer, who is willing to sign a 2 year contract, on a day when every carrier is practically giving away phones to entice switch overs, all over 10 days?" to which they responded "Sorry." Well, so am I. I have a cheaper plan, unlimited minutes, and a better phone. I did lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan, but considering my GF hardly uses hers, the 4gigs we share will be more than enough (I average 2-2.5gigs a month, which yes, i know that amount on a phone is disturbing, lol).

Yeah I've heard a ton of horror stories with AT&T. Also with other carriers too.

I know they are locked down and if I was able to spend time to rework a phone of be more interested in the htc stuff. But for what it's worth I am too lazy these days for all of that. I am fortunate enough to not have had many issues with AT&T. Probably a reason I'm still there. And I'm not mad at $75 a month for unlimited everything.

I do look forward to the iPhone 5 for a bigger screen. I still think the iPhone cameras are the best. My friends pics usually look like crap but I don't know. They may be bad at taking the pics.

Large part of feels like I would be lost using the other phones too lol.

BBG
12-12-2012, 12:01 PM
I think I want my next cell phone to be a wrist watch. I just don't know how well my sausage fingers would be able to operate it.

h2s
12-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Only 2-2.5 gigs a month? Damn, I have a 4 gig plan and I'm either right at the edge, or even as high as 6 gigs total for the month (only a $10/gig overage charge, not bad).

I just work with computers way too much, so it is reasonable that I use as much as I do. I'm constantly remotely accessing networks to do stuff, and if I really need a file right now, I'll transfer the file. I've done a 2 gig file before because I needed it right then, and it took less time to download it than to drive back to the house to get it.

To be fair, I used to well surpass that when I used my network more intensely (tethering laptop, etc..). These days I use it during my commute.

DJM
12-12-2012, 12:10 PM
http://www.braintoaster.com/yeshivachineseauction/images/startec.jpg

GAME OVER!!!
fuck you all and your processors and 4g lite fkn shit

h2s
12-12-2012, 12:10 PM
http://www.braintoaster.com/yeshivachineseauction/images/startec.jpg

GAME OVER!!!
fuck you all and your processors and 4g lite fkn shit

Startec!!!!

burlyman30
12-12-2012, 01:00 PM
I just recently made the switch from my "just try and destroy me" Casio G'zone ruggedized flip phone to a Motorola Droid Razr Maxx. Battery life for a smart phone is pretty impressive. In that department, it blows away all the other smart phones that my friends have, anyway. The screen is significantly bigger than an Iphone. And though I am a Mac guy at heart (shutup right now, lol), The Razr Maxx was far more durable than the Iphone in the way that I will use it. Between the durability and the battery life (which is critical for me), I really saw no other alternative.

I'm only about 3 months into this learning curve with the smartphone, and I'm still finding capabilities on my phone, but overall, it has been relatively painless.

DJM
12-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Startec!!!!

its how i roll

nate3993
12-12-2012, 03:32 PM
I have the iPhone 5, but when the Galaxy 4 comes out, i'm switching over. The fact that i'd be able to download music from a website directly onto my phone means a lot. Also, I'm annoyed with apple's bullshit law suits. Course, that being said, I still love my Mac ;)

BR99TAL
12-12-2012, 03:46 PM
still own a Galaxy S1 since it came out.

xxiv
12-12-2012, 05:31 PM
I just recently made the switch from my "just try and destroy me" Casio G'zone ruggedized flip phone

I am on my 2nd casio and I love them. I have had my brigade since it was released in 09 and it still has plenty of life in it. I want to stick with that line of phones, they have never let me down.

Which model did you have burly?

Scope75
12-12-2012, 06:06 PM
I've had every gen iPhone and I currently have the i5 and its nice but like others have said its lock down and if that's not your thing then you'll hate an iPhone.
My phone is my only acces to the Internet and I use a shit ton of data each month so the unlimited data really comes in handy.

Rulk
12-12-2012, 06:48 PM
All you techies... I upgraded to a Droid4, w/keyboard. I use about 3% of it's potential, hardly use any data.. I mainly use it for youtube, texting, facebook, and yes- actually talking.

Eden
12-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII

burlyman30
12-12-2012, 10:28 PM
I am on my 2nd casio and I love them. I have had my brigade since it was released in 09 and it still has plenty of life in it. I want to stick with that line of phones, they have never let me down.

Which model did you have burly?

I had the second gen model, I think it was called the G'zone S. Before the Ravine came out. I've dropped it from 30 feet high onto concrete. More than once. lol. The thing kept ticking.

h2s
12-13-2012, 07:38 AM
All you techies... I upgraded to a Droid4, w/keyboard. I use about 3% of it's potential, hardly use any data.. I mainly use it for youtube, texting, facebook, and yes- actually talking.

Haha, i was just joking with a buddy about how phone calls are what i use my cell for the least. I am not a talker, so i text often. Once again, i am "that guy."

Coolazice
12-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Motorola Droid 4.

Rulk
12-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Haha, i was just joking with a buddy about how phone calls are what i use my cell for the least. I am not a talker, so i text often. Once again, i am "that guy."

No, I do my fair share of texting too. It's just odd when I call someone and they are like "What the fuck dude?", kind of attitude. Like calls are only for important things. My how the world is changing...

h2s
12-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Yeah, it is definitely a change in dynamic Noa.

Today is the day. Leaving work in about an hour, package awaiting me at home. I am like a school girl, haha.

Scope75
12-13-2012, 05:10 PM

This is exactly me too!!
I don't like talking in the phone so I txt. In person is a different story!! Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, it is definitely a change in dynamic Noa.

Today is the day. Leaving work in about an hour, package awaiting me at home. I am like a school girl, haha.
What's in the package??

Rulk
12-13-2012, 05:39 PM
This is exactly me too!!
I don't like talking in the phone so I txt. In person is a different story!! Lol

- - - Updated - - -
What's in the package??

Hopefully not Gwen's head. It's his new fancy toy :)

burlyman30
12-13-2012, 06:30 PM
What's in the package??

Penis Pump.

Rulk
12-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Penis Pump.

Deny, deny, deny, just like Austin Powers.

Mr_math
12-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Penis Pump.

Christmas Is coming early??

Rulk
12-13-2012, 07:01 PM

Hehe.. He said coming.

Coolazice
12-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Hehe.. He said coming.

Nice to see I wasn't the only one thinking childish thoughts! ...lol

h2s
12-13-2012, 07:56 PM
This is exactly me too!!
What's in the package??

The Droid DNA :)

Hopefully not Gwen's head. It's his new fancy toy :)

Yep

Penis Pump.

I have to wait until Christmas for that one.

My girlfriend's phone had become nearly unusable, so we had to push part of her christmas gift (Samsung Galaxy SIII) up a bit.

Hehe.. He said coming.

Nice to see I wasn't the only one thinking childish thoughts! ...lol

Thats what I love about this community, some things NEVER change.

Mr_math
12-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Lol. Well played h2s.

pman42
12-16-2012, 01:55 PM
To me, a phone is a phone and shouldn't be worth so much that you have to baby it. I seem to always be destroying them one way or another so usually I just go with the cheapest one. Recently I bought an unlocked Samsung Rugby. the thing is solid. it is shockproof, waterproof to 1 metre, and only cost me 60 bucks. I can switch SIM cards which is really nice. I'm never gonna buy a phone from a cell provider again. paying for a phone which is then locked to 1 network is complete and utter bullshit.

h2s
12-16-2012, 02:40 PM
To me, a phone is a phone and shouldn't be worth so much that you have to baby it. I seem to always be destroying them one way or another so usually I just go with the cheapest one. Recently I bought an unlocked Samsung Rugby. the thing is solid. it is shockproof, waterproof to 1 metre, and only cost me 60 bucks. I can switch SIM cards which is really nice. I'm never gonna buy a phone from a cell provider again. paying for a phone which is then locked to 1 network is complete and utter bullshit.

Actually not that it matters for my needs, but the DNA is actually reported as completely unlocked. Engadget (or one of the review sites) claimed they swapped the Verizon card for at&t with no issue.

Eden
12-16-2012, 07:45 PM
I hear some carriers are going to start offering data and text only plans. They have found the newer generations essentially never use voice. The world is changing into a strange place.

pman42
01-09-2013, 12:18 PM
I cancelled my cell service today. it was so liberating. a few weeks ago I called and said I was GOING to cancel to get a reduction on the bill. then today i actually cancelled. they offered me free this, bullshit that. i am so sick of it all, though, the game of the one-time-only plan. it costs them fractions of pennies for airtime and they charge me big bucks. no more. no fuckin more

h2s
01-09-2013, 12:29 PM
I could never.

Scope75
01-09-2013, 12:42 PM
I'd be lost without mine. Lol.

longBallLima
01-09-2013, 12:58 PM
just upgraded. motorola atrix to galaxy note 2

Jack O'Neill
01-09-2013, 01:04 PM
just upgraded. motorola atrix to galaxy note 2

Good choice :)

Upgraded from iPhone 4 to Note 2

Jack O'Neill
01-09-2013, 01:07 PM
I could never.

Same for me. My phone is too useful for all I can do : mail, forums, webs, apps, news, calendar and games (a bit)

badgermilk
01-10-2013, 04:48 AM
Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII

Same here, fucking love it! T-Mobile though which I have mixed feelings about.

pman42
02-05-2013, 12:37 AM
got rid of my phone completely about 2 weeks ago. got sick of the constant texts, do this, answer this, let's text back and forth for 45 minutes this, why aren't you answering that, blah blah blah. pulled the SIM card out and broke it in half. called on the landline at work and cancelled it. if i was smart i woulda threatened to quit the service first, or had a buddy at a rival cell company call them to transfer my number over. but i was so sick of all the shit it had to be RIGHT THEN

i thought i would miss it but it has been SO FUCKING liberating not to have a cell phone. i go where i want and no one interrupts me. emergencies? i carry a knife and a flashlight, that's gonna save my ass more than a stupid cell phone

Cobalt
02-05-2013, 06:34 AM
As much as I would love to snap my phone in half and be done with it, my job field pretty much requires me to have one.

h2s
02-05-2013, 07:25 AM
I would cry without a cell phone.