PDA

View Full Version : Bicep excercise to strengthen pulling power

Rulk
12-12-2012, 08:33 PM
I want really exceptional strength in all of my pulling techniques, as this helps with my submissions and pulling in general for jiujitsu.

I want to know what you guys think is the best Bicep excercise that would translate into more pulling power? I'm thinking Hammer Curls? How about Drag Curls?

Also for pullups, you guys think the underhand grip would be best for maximum pulling power? I will switch up grips regardless, to ensure strength in different angles.

Thanks in advance fellas!

Rodja
12-12-2012, 08:41 PM
High rep DB rows and neutral grip pullups

Rulk
12-12-2012, 08:56 PM
High rep DB rows and neutral grip pullups No curls though?

DJM
12-12-2012, 09:05 PM
High rep DB rows and neutral grip pullups

id agree,rodja will trump me in expertise, jmo, bicep strength doesnt seem to translate to pulling power, stronger back id think as stuff smaller muscle groups will assist when the bigger muscle (back) needs help (tris/delts on bench assisting chest)

noa does this question come more from you nursing a sore back more than anything else?

weekend
12-12-2012, 09:19 PM
i wouldnt really call curling a pulling movement, so i don't see why curls would help pulling power. definitely underhand and neutral pullups, and underhand bb rows might be good too

Rulk
12-12-2012, 09:53 PM
id agree,rodja will trump me in expertise, jmo, bicep strength doesnt seem to translate to pulling power, stronger back id think as stuff smaller muscle groups will assist when the bigger muscle (back) needs help (tris/delts on bench assisting chest)

noa does this question come more from you nursing a sore back more than anything else? Still nursing the back a bit, but the bodybuilder in me also wants some good looking biceps as well.

i wouldnt really call curling a pulling movement, so i don't see why curls would help pulling power. definitely underhand and neutral pullups, and underhand bb rows might be good too

Brologic coming up- I figured since triceps play a part in pressing excercises, so would biceps play a role in pulling excercises as well. If it's nominal I could understand that, but I believe that biceps are and do help with rows and pullups.

Rodja
12-13-2012, 08:33 AM
Biceps play a role in pulling, but it's far from the primary mover. Let me put it this way: I've maybe done 6 sets of biceps a month for the past two years and my rows have only been increasing in that time. I regularly get 18-20 with 145s these days.

Rulk
12-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Biceps play a role in pulling, but it's far from the primary mover. Let me put it this way: I've maybe done 6 sets of biceps a month for the past two years and my rows have only been increasing in that time. I regularly get 18-20 with 145s these days.

I figured as much, just trying to maximize pulling power with a bad L5. and you rowing 145's for 18-20 is beastly! That is motivation enough for me to put db rows back into my program regularly.

burlyman30
12-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Also for pullups, you guys think the underhand grip would be best for maximum pulling power? I will switch up grips regardless, to ensure strength in different angles.

Dude, can you do pullups? You are a big guy, so if you can do pullups, you should have LOADS of pulling power.

Rulk
12-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Dude, can you do pullups? You are a big guy, so if you can do pullups, you should have LOADS of pulling power.

That I can^. I don't know if this is really strong, but I can hammer curl 75's without cheating, and that was in October. Since starting jits, I have laid off weights but I plan on getting after it now. My weakness is standing and bending over. Sometimes I can't even lift the garbage out of the can unless I am supporting my weight.

I will have to weigh myself on video and do some pullups so you guys know i'm not bullshittin ya'.

burlyman30
12-14-2012, 12:08 AM
That I can^. I don't know if this is really strong, but I can hammer curl 75's without cheating, and that was in October. Since starting jits, I have laid off weights but I plan on getting after it now. My weakness is standing and bending over. Sometimes I can't even lift the garbage out of the can unless I am supporting my weight.

I will have to weigh myself on video and do some pullups so you guys know i'm not bullshittin ya'.

I believe you, but Id like to see the video anyway. :cool:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Rodja
12-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Noa, think of it this way:

Focusing all of your efforts on your rows, pullups, and trap work will make your grip stronger, improve your posture (both in a literal sense and a BJJ sense), and assist in keeping your shoulders healthy. Good posture and strong traps make it nearly impossible to get triangle'd and help to keep your neck healthy.

Rulk
12-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Noa, think of it this way:

Focusing all of your efforts on your rows, pullups, and trap work will make your grip stronger, improve your posture (both in a literal sense and a BJJ sense), and assist in keeping your shoulders healthy. Good posture and strong traps make it nearly impossible to get triangle'd and help to keep your neck healthy.

For a couple years of reading your posts Rodja, I wish you lived in my area. Your prevention excercises and ideas, I wish you would do a whole thread on and make it a sticky.

I think i'm going to spend the next month at least on all pulling and rowing type movements and forego any bicep isolation excercises.

Rulk
12-14-2012, 10:56 PM
I was so bored at work I banged out some underhand pullups. 2 sets of 4 reps. Then did some stairs.

Rodja
12-15-2012, 04:38 AM
For a couple years of reading your posts Rodja, I wish you lived in my area. Your prevention excercises and ideas, I wish you would do a whole thread on and make it a sticky.

I think i'm going to spend the next month at least on all pulling and rowing type movements and forego any bicep isolation excercises.

What in particular would you like me to make a thread about? I enjoy writing and am always open to suggestions and requests.

h2s
12-15-2012, 11:36 AM
What in particular would you like me to make a thread about? I enjoy writing and am always open to suggestions and requests.

You know, I am open to activating the content management system that comes with vBulletin, if any QUALIFIED members would like to regularly publish articles. I have given the same offer to infamy, and you know I consider you qualified as well. I would allow you full copyright retention, and all articles can include a linkback to original publication (your blog).

This is in no way a push for you to do it, just a friendly offer. If interested pm me.

DJM
12-15-2012, 11:40 AM
^^^i take infamy's anabolic advice as gospel, burly's cycle advice in the same way..........id love to go after a strength program eventually and push myself, and i hold rodja's opinion in that area like the two guys above

h2s
12-15-2012, 11:48 AM
^^^i take infamy's anabolic advice as gospel, burly's cycle advice in the same way..........id love to go after a strength program eventually and push myself, and i hold rodja's opinion in that area like the two guys above

That offer would apply to any of those members.

Scope75
12-15-2012, 12:12 PM
All the above would be great for this Forum and the Members!!!

Rulk
12-15-2012, 04:17 PM

Preventative excercises. Things I can do to make my body recover faster. Also a tutorial on proper body mechanics, as I have heard you talk about one thing throwing another thing off, or correcting imbalances. I have paid attention to a lot of what you have written, but never really pursued the "lead" ( info ) with any real intention.

I feel like now that I am in something I can compete in and be passionate about, I would pay more attention and incorporate the knowledge. Honestly the things you have mentioned before I really had no clue about, they don't talk about it in the bodybuilding magazines I read.

But yeah, I feel like with your knowledge, I can make a more accurate Point A, to Point B journey as opposed to doing things a bit hap-hazardly and going around the mountain. Tall order and it's asking a lot, but I think a lot of guys here would appreciate it.

DarrylSpiers
01-14-2016, 04:45 PM
Look bro Rulk i also face this kind of problem then i hire the trainer in the gym and then my trainer told me that underhand grip is best exercise for strengthen pulling power. I think you also should hire trainer and then he will tell you best exercise for your type of body.