PDA

View Full Version : Article on "Stop Eating Wheat?"

Rulk
12-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Syndicated Content | Provided by Vertical Accuity | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News (http://www.komonews.com/news/va?vaid=68d92da775f0b52452ae5f5917e23f39)

My local news had this article. Is it time to stop eating wheat? The past 2 years I have made some major changes to my diet and will continue to do so untill I get it as right as I can ( for me anyways ).

weekend
12-15-2012, 10:02 PM
bah, but what about my toast, sandwiches, pizza, and cheeseburgers?!!?! don't think i could make many more gains...

it sure is easy to get cut up without gluten though!

Rulk
12-15-2012, 10:18 PM
I went gluten free for a long time. I'm going to go back to it, but here and there I will have some. I'll be switching over to grass fed beef as well, even though I hardly eat red meat anymore- wait, maybe that's why i'm not as strong as I used to be... Ah, could be me getting older.

Cobalt
12-15-2012, 11:34 PM
The only thing that I would like to point out is that they are generalizing breads in the article.
I avoid 'white' breads and other stripped down flours as much as possible.
I also avoid "whole wheat" as well.
What I go for is "whole grain." Whole grain means the WHOLE GRAIN is ground up to make flour. Whole wheat only has to contain a really small percentile of the grain to make it count.

That isn't saying that you can just stuff your face with whole grains and be good. You still need to use moderation.

I worked at a bakery for a while. We bought huge bags of wheat berries (wheat grain) and ground them up every morning to make our breads. The whole grain bread was simple: Whole grain flour, water, yeast, salt, and honey. No preservatives or other crap.

I lost a good 25 pounds while working there, after switching from "whole wheat" to their whole grain.

Rulk
12-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Nice^. I still dig Ezekial bread and Dave's Killer bread. The only bread I eat with any regularity really.

Rodja
12-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Whole grain doesn't mean dick either. Corn is a freaking grain. Whole grain is primarily marketing tactic as they now have "whole grain white bread."

Oddly enough, from an inflammatory and nutrient absorption perspective, white bread is actually the lesser of two evils as it doesn't contain the anti-nutrient lectins.

Mr_math
12-16-2012, 10:50 AM
I pick up mostly Ezekiel bread just out of ease and I keep it in my freezer. I don't like things that can sit for weeks without going bad, seems wrong to me for some reason. Even though I grew up on wonder bread lol.

A friend of mine has celiac and a few other complications from it now. She has to have all gluten free. So we generally attempt to keep everything easier for her when she is over. Also why I started brewing gluten free beer. So far people like it....

Scope75
12-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Ezekiel bread FTMFW!!
I like all the different types and when its toasted its to die for. Lol

Eden
12-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Rodja is right, White bread is actually better for you than the "healthy" Whole grain white bread, or whole grain bread. I believe a lot of the trouble with breads is how much we've messed with wheat, and the usage of GMO hybridized, high-yield, dwarf wheat. There are a lot of things in our supposedly healthy bread that do pretty strange things to the human body.

Obviously moderation does help, but some people should probably cut breads out. The only bread I consume is in my random pizza from time to time, I don't usually eat sandwiches, or hamburgers, etc.

josh
12-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Metabolically speaking the difference between white and wheat breads is minimal at best

josh
12-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Dietary breads: myth or reality?

Abstract

AIMS:

To assess the differences in acute effects of whole wheat bread, wheat bran bread and rye bread--perceived as dietary (Low caloric!) breads--on glucose and insulin levels in patients with type 2 diabetes, as compared to white wheat bread.

METHODS:

One hundred twenty one type 2 diabetic patients were randomized into three groups as whole wheat, wheat bran and rye bread groups. Each group ate 100 g of bread with water with in 10 min. Blood glucose measurements were made at every 30 min in 2 h. Insulin was measured at fasting and at the second hour in the patients who do not use insulin. The same processes were repeated on the following day, with white wheat bread for each group.

RESULTS:

No significant difference was found in either glycemic or insulinemic effects between four types of breads when compared to each other (p=0.093 for glycemic effect and p=0.297 for insulinemic effect).

CONCLUSION:

Three different bread types consumed as an alternative to white bread in Turkey, increase blood glucose levels of diabetic patients similar to white bread.

PMID: 18367284

Scope75
12-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Wow!
I didn't know this about bread!!
Guess there's not much point in buying any kind of special bread other than if you like the taste over the others.
Kind of glad to read this but at the same time I'm not. Lol

Rulk
12-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Josh, you think Ezekial is different enough to not be included with bread, in terms of how shitty bread is? I just wanna know if Ezekial bread is still good for me, ha!

Cobalt
12-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Josh, you think Ezekial is different enough to not be included with bread, in terms of how shitty bread is? I just wanna know if Ezekial bread is still good for me, ha!

Ezekial is usually cast to the side because it consists of much less "whole grains" and more spelt (awesome wheat alternative), and other beans/lentils that are ground up into a flour.

The bakery I worked at made Ezekial and a full Spelt bread on fridays as a specialty.

Rodja
12-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Ezekiel is generally gluten-free, IIRC, so it's one of the few "breads" that would pass my test.

Scope75
12-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Ezekiel is generally gluten-free, IIRC, so it's one of the few "breads" that would pass my test.

Sweet!!
If it passes his test its good for me!!
I'm happy again. Lol