PDA

View Full Version : who likes spicy stuff?

pman42
12-18-2012, 05:33 PM
ever since I can remember I have loved spicy food. In my refrigerator at any given time are at least 4 types of hot sauce and 2 or 3 types of fresh chili peppers. my cupboard usually has a dozen or so dried whole chilis, chili powder, and various mixed dried seasonings based. right now i am enjoying some beef-barley soup with hot sauce.

my favorite hot sauces are mama sita's labuyo (philippines) iguana hot sauce (costa rica), blair's (NJ USA) and tabasco (US). I like tapatio and valentina from mexico but they are so mild i consider them to be more like ketchup than hot sauce.

what are your favorite spicy dishes? i like to add a bunch of dried habaneros to beef chili so that it's really, really spicy. i make spicy chicken wings with a good marinade and some of the blair's ultra hot. and every time i make a stir fry i fry up some serrano peppers and top with some choice hot sauce.

thought i'd share one of my funniest hot sauce stories *don't keep reading if you are eating*: i eat so much spicy stuff that i am accustomed to the-- ahem-- after effects when the chili comes out. however, when i was in xalapa mexico (namesake of of the jalapeno pepper) something changed. it wasn't the spiciness of the hot sauce, i think it was simply the sheer volume. every comida corrida (hole-in-the-wall grandma restaurant) had its own brand of hot sauce and i must have drank at least a litre of the stuff. on day 3 or so i had to take a shit, which ended up being incredibly painful. I took a shower but to no avail. looking around, i noticed my buddy's can of menthol shaving cream. in desperation, i applied some to toilet paper and wiped. sweet, sweet relief. the next day i was right back to eating the hot sauce. flavor was simply to damn good.

Rulk
12-18-2012, 05:37 PM
I like spicy, but not too spicy. And I have to eat pretty bland around night time, or else i'll get acid reflux when laying down and sleepling. I've woken up before choking from esophegal reflux (sp?).

Love Luisiana hot sauce, and green tabasco sause. I get a #4 spicy when going to eat Thai.

Scope75
12-18-2012, 05:47 PM
I like spicy and I have a shit load of hot sauces to pick from!
My uncle makes his own and he makes special bottles just for me and about 6 different flavors.
He's also makes a salas/paste type of deal and dry seasonings.
All are good and some are very hot!!!

pman42
12-18-2012, 06:02 PM
nice, I've got a batch of hot sauce brewing up right now. it's my first try so we'll see how it goes

Scope75
12-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Cool!!
I'll post my stash this evening.