PDA

View Full Version : Musicians/DJs/etc....

h2s
12-21-2012, 08:01 AM
So idea for this thread came up earlier. Wondering who does what, etc...

As I mentioned in the other thread, I am into electronic music. I have wanted to be a dj since I was a kid, and at 16 told myself I would one day buy equipment. Well I am not getting any younger, so I started to take the plunge, much against my wallet's concerns.

I am also very interested in music production. Unfortunately at this point I suck bad, but I am taking some video tutorials, and actually found a school in Chicago that offers EDM production classes, so that may be in my near future.

As for my recent purchase, I grabbed a DJM850 and two CDJ850s from Pioneer. Although Pioneer equipment is easily above my skill level at this point, and budget (lol), it is considered the club standard equipment, so I wanted to make sure I learned to master the equipment that I may one day use in a gig (assuming I progress to that point).

I have a "borrowed" copy of traktor scratch from native instruments, which I can feed to the mixer and use time coded cds in the CDJs to mix off of my computers library and incorporate computer driven effects (even though the DJM features its own collection of effects).

As for the production side, I am using ableton live.

I am posting this from my phone, so hopefully I can get a pic up of the equipment, if not ill add it when I get to work. Excuse the bad picture, I wanted to play with the set more than take pics of it lol.

h2s
12-21-2012, 08:12 AM

Picture didn't post, so here it is.

Scope75
12-21-2012, 08:21 AM
I don't know anything about this but that looks cool!!
Good luck and I'm glad I could help pay for some of it. Lol

h2s
12-21-2012, 08:30 AM
I don't know anything about this but that looks cool!!
Good luck and I'm glad I could help pay for some of it. Lol

Yeah, you paid for the future studio monitors. :)
I will have a picture up when I purchase them.

Jack O'Neill
12-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Hey I'm guitarist since 85'
2 Paul Reed Smith in electric
1 Takamine for accoustic

I play blues/rock today but I played in several coverbands for good long music nights :) playing pop rock hits

What I prefer are Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits, Gilmour/Floyd, and Gary Moore (RIP :sly: )

And I did 2 albums in pro studio several years ago. French pop rock music

Rulk
12-21-2012, 04:06 PM
I have a friend that dj's in vegas, DJ Justinsayne. I remember him getting his start years ago. Guy was obsessed and would practice everyday.

xxiv
12-21-2012, 04:14 PM
I play guitar and sing and play the accordion a little bit. I am a dancer/hype man for a hip-hop act as well. I am shy and keep to myself most of the time but I love to perform. I rarely play and sing in front of other people because I'm too self concious but I get in front of a room full of strangers and I'll do windmills and the worm or bust out heavy metal guitar spins and scream like a maniac.

I have been torn between picking up a new acoustic guitar and harmonica set or weights and stuff.

Scope75
12-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Yeah, you paid for the future studio monitors. :)
I will have a picture up when I purchase them.

Sweet can't wait to see what I paid for. Lol
Sound tight thou.
Best deal ever I get supps and to see what my money bought.

Mr_math
12-21-2012, 05:34 PM
That's very cool h2s. Back when I was younger a couple of my friends had turntables and we would all get roasted ad scratch all night long in a garage. Fell in love with turntables and scratching. Then another had a mpc and keyboard along with turntables and he made his own beats. I always wanted to do that, glad for you that you went in on that dream man!

nate3993
12-22-2012, 05:18 PM
my cousin dj's. i'd love for him to tach me how to use ableton, but he's a selfish fucker and i know he'd never take the time sadly. so, i'm gonna look for a good video tutorial, and just start from there. i tried to watch vids on youtube, but it's dam near impossible to find all that great of a video if you just got ableton and have no fukin idea what you're doing.

you have ableton, right h2s?

h2s
12-22-2012, 05:48 PM
my cousin dj's. i'd love for him to tach me how to use ableton, but he's a selfish fucker and i know he'd never take the time sadly. so, i'm gonna look for a good video tutorial, and just start from there. i tried to watch vids on youtube, but it's dam near impossible to find all that great of a video if you just got ableton and have no fukin idea what you're doing.

you have ableton, right h2s?

Yes. Not that I would ever do it, but there are the Lynda tutorials on a very famous pirate hang out.

nate3993
12-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Yes. Not that I would ever do it, but there are the Lynda tutorials on a very famous pirate hang out.

i love you :)

markam
12-22-2012, 07:28 PM
I recently bought a new DAW for my PC, and am very impressed with it. Most people I know go for Logic Audio, which I used to use, but it's no longer supported on PC. Well worth checking out. Download Studio One 2 Demo Studio One (http://studioone.presonus.com/demo-request/)

badgermilk
01-04-2013, 03:28 AM
I've been making hip-hop beats on for a few years now. Mostly use Fruity Loops 10 and an old version of Acid. Would like to try Reason and get and get a MPD32 or something of the sort.

badgermilk
01-04-2013, 03:35 AM
Here's my Soundlick page if anyone wants to hear a couple tracks but they are a year or 2 old. I'll add something new here pretty quick. I just keep forgetting I even have that shit. SoundClick artist: Strife40oz - page with MP3 music downloads (http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1240811)

badgermilk
02-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Just uploaded a couple new tracks, check em out if ya wanna. SoundClick artist: Strife40oz - page with MP3 music downloads (http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1240811)

h2s
02-24-2013, 09:12 PM
Just gave High noon a listen love that bassline.

burlyman30
02-24-2013, 11:50 PM
A friend of mine and his wife put together a symphonic metal band. Album comes out in April. They've been getting a lot of play and good reviews on internet radio stations. I've seen them play a live set... pretty amazing talent. May or may not be your thing. Give it a listen and see what you think. Media Tyranny of Hours (http://tyrannyofhours.net/video)

Freepressright
02-25-2013, 09:24 AM
You've gotta love those on-the-fly crises on stage. We were playing a show recently where the singer decided to spring Hotel California on us. We'd jammed it before, but I never really burned it into my head. This didn't turn out too bad for having to dig in my head for it.

Hotel Cali Solo - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAjUs24A95g)

Infamy
03-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Not sure what your overall aim is, but if you want to record some music and even produce a CD, then it might be worth looking into picking up am 8 track portable studio. You should be able to get them pretty cheap. Or if the budget stretches, get a 16 track or more.

If you want to add some vocals to your track I can recommend a Neuman U-87 which is a vocal mic found in most studios. If thats not in your price range then the Shure SM-58 is a good quality, lower cost alternative which would work very well. Shure SM57 is a good instrument mic, although I know some guys like to use vocal mics for the instruments to give them more range. Personal preference here.

A few years ago I dropped about $4k on putting together a basic studio in my house and it works pretty well and the quality is fantastic. Bear in mind that my 16 track desk probably costs now about half what it did a few years ago so you wont need to spend as much as I did to get the same quality. Im sure for under $1k you can get all the elements for a very respectable sounding recording though.

Infamy
03-01-2013, 02:20 PM
You've gotta love those on-the-fly crises on stage. We were playing a show recently where the singer decided to spring Hotel California on us. We'd jammed it before, but I never really burned it into my head. This didn't turn out too bad for having to dig in my head for it.

Hotel Cali Solo - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAjUs24A95g)

Considering you say you had no real practice of the song you did a dam good job. You wouldnt know.

Freepressright
03-01-2013, 02:51 PM
If you watch the clip, you can see Rod, the singer, give me the quick, "Play the goddamn solo, now!" cue, LOL.

But thanks for the compliment. I spent years at open jam nights and have a good ear. There's a lot I can fake and improvise on the fly pretty proficiently.

h2s
03-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Not sure what your overall aim is, but if you want to record some music and even produce a CD, then it might be worth looking into picking up am 8 track portable studio. You should be able to get them pretty cheap. Or if the budget stretches, get a 16 track or more.

If you want to add some vocals to your track I can recommend a Neuman U-87 which is a vocal mic found in most studios. If thats not in your price range then the Shure SM-58 is a good quality, lower cost alternative which would work very well. Shure SM57 is a good instrument mic, although I know some guys like to use vocal mics for the instruments to give them more range. Personal preference here.

A few years ago I dropped about $4k on putting together a basic studio in my house and it works pretty well and the quality is fantastic. Bear in mind that my 16 track desk probably costs now about half what it did a few years ago so you wont need to spend as much as I did to get the same quality. Im sure for under $1k you can get all the elements for a very respectable sounding recording though.

Not sure who the above was directed towards, but what type of music do you perform?

Also, damn expensive hobby, between my computer, mixer/tables, software on my to buy list, etc.. I am thousands in.

markam
03-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Not sure who the above was directed towards, but what type of music do you perform?

Also, damn expensive hobby, between my computer, mixer/tables, software on my to buy list, etc.. I am thousands in.

Tell me about it. Anyone want to buy a Akai 3200? Ram maxed out to 32mbs. There was a shortage of chips and 8mbs cost £400. Yes. Ouch!

Infamy
03-02-2013, 04:00 AM

It was actually to you. I play guitar, bass, piano and can program some drum program's so a bit of a mix of stuff. I have a stage piano which does respectable string sounds too so it covers pretty much every instrument I'd want.

If you can't afford the stuff above then I don't know if you are an apple guy but if you are you can put together some respectable stuff on garage band. If you take a balenced line out from your decks straight into your computer you can layer up some tracks and garage band has some good standard drum and rhythm loop stuff (just ask rhianna! Ahem umbrella!)

By the way markam - I hear you! I have a gear acquisition problem and reckon if you broke into my house you'd be best taking the guitars and amps than anything else!! It doesn't help when Gibson charge £3500 for their special stuff and you can't get a decent sounding amp for less than £2500.

Freepressright
03-02-2013, 11:14 AM
It was actually to you. I play guitar, bass, piano and can program some drum program's so a bit of a mix of stuff. I have a stage piano which does respectable string sounds too so it covers pretty much every instrument I'd want.

If you can't afford the stuff above then I don't know if you are an apple guy but if you are you can put together some respectable stuff on garage band. If you take a balenced line out from your decks straight into your computer you can layer up some tracks and garage band has some good standard drum and rhythm loop stuff (just ask rhianna! Ahem umbrella!)

By the way markam - I hear you! I have a gear acquisition problem and reckon if you broke into my house you'd be best taking the guitars and amps than anything else!! It doesn't help when Gibson charge £3500 for their special stuff and you can't get a decent sounding amp for less than £2500.

Apparently there isn't a market for affordable vintage tube amps to modify? I have a number of killer sounding live rigs, many of which are old tube head units from the 1950s and '60s that I've either had modified myself or had my amp doctor modify to my liking.

I have amps few people have heard of that will eat most boutique amps alive.

h2s
03-02-2013, 10:39 PM

Ha, I am an apple guy now, long time hater. Just bought myself a 15" retina mbp. I have been trying to master the CD decks and mixer first (for those curious, I use time code through traktor pro), but want to move into production soon. Logic is the daw I plan on diving into. I have very limited experience with ableton live as well which I like, but logic just seems more comfortable.

I do have a desire to learn piano, but it would most likely be utilized as a midi device in logic.

markam
04-23-2013, 04:16 AM
Checkout these guys, HTS. BTW, I used Logic for years and have switched to Presonus, Studio one.

PreSonus NAMM 09- Victor Wooten, Steve Bailey David Haynes - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoHISMEYvVA)

PreSonusā€”Live from NAMM 2013: Victor Wooten, Steve Bailey, and David Haynes, 4 of 4. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTzNK1_XJMQ)