PDA

View Full Version : SERMs and ocular toxicity

pman42
12-23-2012, 09:52 PM
There has sometimes been mention of the visual side effects of SARMs or SERMs. I'm doing some research with one of the SERMs coming up pretty soon here so I thought I'd look into it. I found a relevant paper, the abstract of which is below. I've also included a quote from the discussion section. it seems that tamoxifen, at least, induces oxidative stress.

Based on this, I think I'll include a few supplements along with my SERM, a sort of PCT from PCT. I think I will include the following:
o Lutein/ zeaxanthin
o Bilberry
o grape seed extract
o ginkgo
o eyebright
o NAC
o vitamin C
o and a powdered, broad-spectrum antioxidant green blend

Abstract

Several pharmaceutical agents have been associated with rare but serious retinopathies, some resulting in blindness. Little is known of the mechanism(s) that produce these injuries. Mechanisms proposed thus far have not been embraced by the medical and scientific communities. However, preclinical and clinical data indicate that oxidative stress may contribute substantially to iatrogenic retinal disease. Retinal oxidative stress may be precipitated by the interaction of putative retinal toxins with the ocular redox system. The retina, replete with cytochromes P450 and myeloperoxidase, may serve to activate xenobiotics to oxidants, resulting in ocular injury. These activated agents may directly form retinal adducts or may diminish ocular reduced glutathione concentrations. Data are reviewed that suggest that indomethacin, tamoxifen, thioridazine, and chloroquine all produce retinopathies via a common mechanism—they produce ocular oxidative stress.

Ingestion of antioxidants may protect against the development of retinal diseases (94–96). Several studies, including ARED and LAST, indicate that dietary intake of antioxidants may be beneficial for those at risk of developing retinal disease (94, 97). Much of the interest in the use of antioxidants for retinal diseases emerges from growing evidence that supports an oxidative etiology for age-related macular degeneration (86, 98). Data suggest that supplementation with vitamins A, C, and E, zinc, and lutein may prove beneficial in some subjects at risk for the development of macular degeneration (99–102). Vitamins C and E have been shown to help maintain concentrations of reduced glutathione in ocular tissues and prevent oxidative damage (101). Drug-induced retinal injury and age-related macular degeneration both appear to be related to oxidative injury (103). Macular degeneration may be precipitated in part by lifelong exposure to oxidative injury from exposure to environmental oxidants in susceptible subjects (86). Similarly, when exposed acutely to drugs that alter the redox balance in the retina, susceptible individuals may develop retinal injuries.

full paper at: Oxidative Stress Plays an Important Role in the Pathogenesis of Drug-Induced Retinopathy (http://ebm.rsmjournals.com/content/229/7/607.full)