PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Jiujitsu

Rulk
11-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Going to carry over my log to here from PP.

I have a nice order coming from True Nutrition ( thanks for the code MattP ), and I hope to build a nice strong base for grappling over the next 2 months. The workouts are much different than my lifting routines, more cardio centric, but recovery is still very important. I will be lifting still, while doing jits, hoping to strengthen up certain positions. Here is a list of the supps I ordered, and how I will be using them-

Anabolic Pump- Nutrient repartitioner from usp labs.
Carbonx- Supercarb from vpx.
Con-Crete- Super concentrated creatine with no loading process.
Silk Amino Acids- True Nutriton's own SAA in bulk powder. I very much liked BLOX.
Leucine powder- Another bulk powder from TN.
Releve- A joint product from mhp.
Whey Isolate- Bulk protein powder from TN, chocolate flavor sweetened with stevia.

I plan on taking Anabolic Pump before grappling and mixing up this:
Silk Amino Acids with 5 grams of Leucine, take Con-crete with this. drink half before jits, drink the rest by the middle of the session.
Now i'm wondering I should use Carbonx in the 1st shake, for performance.

Post: Whey Iso 30 grams, scoop of Carbonx ( 25g carbs ), with 5g of Leucine. Take a 2nd dose of Con-Crete.
Anyone think I should change up the order of supps here, please feel free to mention. I'd be interested in the change up.

Training Schedule: Tuesday and Thursday- Jits. Monday, Wednesday, Friday, some type of cardio. The weekends are either going to be rest days, or designed to do some powerlifting like movements- bench, military press, squats, deads, pullups, rows..

Cardio: Kettlebell swings, stair master, hiit treadmill...

Eden
11-05-2012, 08:09 PM
It will be interesting seeing how this plays out for you, good luck man.

h2s
11-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Hit it hard Noa.

naeydrin
11-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Looks interesting, in for this!

Rulk
11-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Thanks for following guys. Well last week I did not go to jits class at all, but this week I will go Tuesday and Thursday. I'm probably going to lift on Friday and Saturday - Push then Pull.

Rulk
11-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Wow, 3 weeks went by and I did NOTHING! Back at it today and it was interesting. I can really tell how much it effects me when I don't go to Jits regularly. Anyways, we had 4 rounds of rolling and I sat out 1 round. Did okay... I mainly just defend, defend, defend and if I see something, I'll go for the sub. It's the only way right now to get a good workout without getting my ass kicked completely.

Also going to be getting back to lifting, maybe this week. Also the supps, ( Concrete, Anabolic Pump, Carbonx, Whey Iso, SAA's ) are being used now. Obviously the concret kicked in and helped me out. The other stuff is to helpl with recovery and support protein needs, so the effects won't be obvious or noticable yet.

milehighguy
12-01-2012, 09:03 AM
That is a full workout schedule. Good luck and I will be watching...

h2s
12-01-2012, 10:15 AM
How has getting back on track been Noa?

Rulk
12-05-2012, 05:14 PM
How has getting back on track been Noa?

Sometimes I just gives out or I tweak it. Long days standing up and I can't even stand up straight. I'm definatly weaker due to having probably just about 2 years away from the big core lifts, 'cept for bench. Otherwise I am working my way back to squats and deadlifts, but just being extra slow about going heavy. Due time...

Yesterday's Jits session: 1 to 10 rating, I would give it a 7. It was good. I notice I am a little weaker than when I started over a month ago though. Cardio is improving with each session. I now play with the little lady more and the dogs. Stairs feel easier to climb, I have more energy throughout the day and my back feels better. The intermittant fasting I think has robbed me a little bit from my energy and explosieveness, but I am looking a little bit smaller. Probably due to depletion of glycogen stores.

At night I did an upper body pushing workout and noticed I am a little weaker, but not by much. Pump was phenominal, due to loading back up on carbs after jits. Worked up to 10 plates on this nautilous/hammer strength type bench machine. This is where I noticed I was a little weaker. Did 3 sets of standing miliary press with 135. I felt weaker here too. Did some front raises and finished off with tricep pushdowns. This was my first weight session in probably over 3 weeks. The time off had something to do with strength loss, but overall I am not too disapointed with my strength.

I will actually try and get stronger in my lifts while keepling jits in my program. Tonight I will try and do Upper Body Pull program.

Rulk
12-07-2012, 02:39 AM
Thursday's training went well, but I probably could have gone a little harder. After Jits I had the energy to do some pull ups and do some monkey bars- much to my surprise. I can tell i'm getting in better condition on the mat and looking like I lost some weight.

I'm also really looking forward to my pulling day workout, so I can employ some curling for biceps. Lately though I have noticed that my lats get one hell of a workout just from training bjj.

Quick question to anyone reading: At your weight, how long can you hang from a straight bar? I would be shocked if anyone can do it for 5 minutes straight. Tomorrow if I go do bjj, I will try and test myself to see how long I can "hang".

Scope75
12-07-2012, 05:56 AM
Thursday's training went well, but I probably could have gone a little harder. After Jits I had the energy to do some pull ups and do some monkey bars- much to my surprise. I can tell i'm getting in better condition on the mat and looking like I lost some weight.

I'm also really looking forward to my pulling day workout, so I can employ some curling for biceps. Lately though I have noticed that my lats get one hell of a workout just from training bjj.

Quick question to anyone reading: At your weight, how long can you hang from a straight bar? I would be shocked if anyone can do it for 5 minutes straight. Tomorrow if I go do bjj, I will try and test myself to see how long I can "hang".

I'm in.
BBJ sound like it would be a fun but taxing workout.

I'll have to see how long I can hang from the pull up bar. Be sure to post your results.

Rulk
12-12-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm in.
BBJ sound like it would be a fun but taxing workout.

I'll have to see how long I can hang from the pull up bar. Be sure to post your results. I hung on for like 15 seconds.. Pathetic.

12/11/12 jits update: Starting to get into deep waters with my cardio. Still horribly out of shape, but I can see differences compared to when I started. I can jog longer, do "knee ups" much better, im already more flexible. Technique is already much better and l'm relying less on brute strength and more on being smooth.. Some of the guys that were just manhandling me had a harder time dealing with me too.

12/10/12 lifting update: Lost a little bit of strength on push day, compared to last week, but we'll see if it's a trend ( hope not! ) by next monday's push day. I have been missing a pull day, but it's okay, as I do a lot of pulling already in jits class. Still though, I will be making an effort to get those pulling days in no matter what.

General update: Feeling so much better since I started Jits.. I am looking a little smaller and I have lost a little bit of weight, although it's been fluctuating over the last 3 months. I sit around 270-ish right now and I'd like to be closer to 260 by the end if this month.

Rulk
12-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Oh I do want to mention: I can do the monkey bars! they have a bunch of bars jutting out from the wall at the BJJ dojo I go to. Jumping up and doing variations of pullups ( can't do more than 4 or 5 right now ), I started to do monkey bar swinging to work grip. Mind you, I do this after class, so i'm pretty spent, but it's a good way to condition the body. I will be improving my hang time and grip strength with this fun little excercise.

Scope75
12-12-2012, 10:51 PM
I haven't had a chance to see how long I can hang but I'll try it tomorrow and report back.

Sounds like your really digging jits and it making me want to get into something new.
Really enjoy reading your and others progress because it gives me motivation to keep myself on track and keep making progress of my own.

Rulk
12-13-2012, 04:55 AM
I haven't had a chance to see how long I can hang but I'll try it tomorrow and report back.

Sounds like your really digging jits and it making me want to get into something new.
Really enjoy reading your and others progress because it gives me motivation to keep myself on track and keep making progress of my own.

Let me say first off, any posts from me during the hour of around 2am, I was a little tipsy. Went drinking with some friends to celebrate the end of the school semester.

Anyways.. Yes! Scope, I am having a blast! and when I get my lifting in, it gets that much better ( still a gym rat at heart ). I had dabbled in mma and jits before, but never stuck with it. This time it's different and it really has become so much more to me. In time this really could turn into a passion. The benefits about martial arts, especially the one i'm doing, are so abundant and worth the money and time spent.

I will be 36 in January, and if Brazilian Jiujitsu is something that gets me healthier and keeps my there, it's a no brainer to make it as much of a permanent part of my life as possible. BJJ has definetly humbled me as a person ( I was not arrogant before ), but it makes you realize that there are some tough mother fuckers out there, and your not as tough as you think. It shows you a long journey ahead of you, but you can tell right away that its fucking worth it.

And to satisfy the ironbug, I think of ways now to improve my Jits game, by employing certain lifts and excercises that will benefit it. A nice effect from the jits is that I get the long needed cardio I have been ignoring for so long, and it's also motivating me to want to do more cardio ( outside of the dojo ). All in all, this is a good thing and I am really happy.

I'd still like some decent looking guns though. Just saying.

h2s
12-13-2012, 07:56 AM
I am sure rodja would be able to help you with some training styles that will compliment the martial arts.

I used to always say "one day," and it never happened. I am hoping to get back into hockey sooner or later, but is no priority. My step brother has been fighting though. Still young in the game, but last i heard he was doing fairly well.

Scope75
12-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Sweet!!
Nothing better than enjoying what your doing because that just makes you want to do and be better at it.
I'm super competitive so I like anything that channel gets me or matches me up against someone.

Rulk
12-15-2012, 06:12 PM
I have been fluxuating between 270 to 274 ish.. probably for the last 2 months. Lately I have been weighing in at 269, so i'm hoping this is a trend, and can hit as close to 260 by the end of this month. Gonna try to get to jits monday through friday this week and see what happens.

Quick update:

Appearance wise, I think and my wife thinks that my legs got bigger and more muscular. I definetly feel lighter going up stairs. My forearms since starting jits have gotten bigger and more defined as well.

The Lean Gains type of diet also seems to be working. On days when I don't do jits, I fast all day ( not including supps ) and have 2 meals at night. When I do jits, i'm starving and eat right after, and usually eat 2 more times in the evening. I'll stop eating when I get home and have a shake or some cottage cheese.

Not as strong as I was in September and October, but endurance and conditioning has gone way up.

Scope75
12-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Feels great when you can tell your lighter without getting in the scale because things just get easier.
Keep it up and you'll be a lean mean arm baring machine!!

Rulk
12-15-2012, 06:18 PM
I am sure rodja would be able to help you with some training styles that will compliment the martial arts.

I used to always say "one day," and it never happened. I am hoping to get back into hockey sooner or later, but is no priority. My step brother has been fighting though. Still young in the game, but last i heard he was doing fairly well.
Are you sticking with just physique orientated goals for now? As i'm doing jits, I will try to pursue a good physique while developing as a martial artists.

Sweet!!
Nothing better than enjoying what your doing because that just makes you want to do and be better at it.
I'm super competitive so I like anything that channel gets me or matches me up against someone.
For as long as I can remember, I have never been passionate about anything. I'll really get into something, then leave it to go to something else I like, and then back. Could be ADD I bet, as I can never settle into one thing I want to be in, or do.

Now I feel like Brazilian Jiujitsu may be something that I can be passionate about, which is pretty exciting for me. I don't want to go through my life never finding something I am really, really, passionate about.

Scope75
12-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Feels great when you can tell your lighter without getting in the scale because things just get easier.
Keep it up and you'll be a lean mean arm baring machine!!

Rulk
12-15-2012, 06:30 PM
I dig the kneebar the most :) I can only do it on upper belts and not on fellow white belts. I have only been able to get a kneebar on a blue belt, but we spoke before we rolled and agreed we could do them between the both of us ( im a white belt ). Otherwise the school I go to, kind of frowns upon any type of leg and footlock.

I hear if one is locked on you ( a footlock ), at first it's like "okay..." but then the next day it can really hurt and sometimes it can last for months... impeding your progress as a consequence.

Scope75
12-15-2012, 06:44 PM
I bet!! Your stretching everything out to the max.

Rulk
12-18-2012, 05:19 PM
12/18 update:

Technique: Learned a takedown today, that worked into either an ezekial choke or an armbar.

Rolling:
1st round-
Went against a really strong purple belt 1st round. Tried working a sweep ( close but no ), then tried passing guard. He eventually swept me, locked up an armbar to which I defended. Took about a minute ( seemed like a long time ), but eventually freed myself. He then got my back and I locked up an arm to defend. Time ran out.
2nd round-
Worked with a white belt who, by his own admission, "Sat on a couch for 6 years and gained 70lbs.". So we just worked technique we learned earlier. Big dude btw.
3rd round-
Another white belt, but substantially smaller than me. He got a nice lapel choke on me, I got a kimura and a bow and arrow choke on him.

Did some monkey bar swings back and forth. I got video of it on my phone, but no pullups. My biceps were fried by then, but I will get a video of me doing them. I need to figure out how to post videos from my droid4 to here.

After jits, went into the wet sauna for almost 5 minutes, then off to the dry suana for a couple minutes. The wet sauna I feel is detoxifying my body. My skin is getting clearer, especially the back. I hope my lungs start to clear out too.

Lately at work I have been wearing my weight vest, 25lbs. I do stairs and some pull ups - I can only get 1 and 1/2 pullups with the vest. The vest is capable of going up to 50lbs. As I drop 10lbs of bodyweight, I will keep adding weight to the vest and simulate my old bodyweight as long as possible.

Scope75
12-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Nice work!!

I hung on my pull-up bar yesterday and I did a 60 count and let go because I didn't want to count anymore. Lol

Rulk
12-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Damn, that's very good!

It seems like I can swing on bars longer than I can just sit there and hang. It's a pain tolerance excercise really.

Scope75
12-18-2012, 06:04 PM
I did 12 pull ups to start then hung because I just can grab the bar and hang I need to do something first or I don't last.
It's very much a pain tolerance exercise because the calluses on my hands start to hurt bad and that'll make me let go before I really need to.

Rulk
12-20-2012, 06:19 PM
I did 12 pull ups to start then hung because I just can grab the bar and hang I need to do something first or I don't last.
It's very much a pain tolerance exercise because the calluses on my hands start to hurt bad and that'll make me let go before I really need to. I had my friend get me on video of me swinging on some bars. No pullups because biceps were fried- especially the right. Today after jits, I did the monkey bar thing again, and I felt lighter. It's not a big deal, but at my weight it's not bad.

Jits today-

Technique of the day- Passing guard with 3 variations. This is good as I need to start passing guard and attacking. In the begining, if I were to attack, my gas tank would empty and I would not be able to defend. As of now, my wind is much better and I can attack more and still have some semblance of defense.

1st pass entailed grabbing the opponents leg to stop him from getting half guard, and then getting side mount. 2nd pass was a variation and twisting the hips and having one arm over the opponent to stop him from getting out of side control.3rd pass entailed going for both variations 1 and 2, and then going into mount.

Rolling/Sparring-
1st partner was a smaller blue belt ( about 180lbs ) and we rolled pretty smoothly the whole round, ending up in a stalemate.

2nd partner was a larger blue belt ( about 250, but relatively lean, and thicker, he had hieght though ). I ended up going for a kneebar and he defended really well, and he ended up grabbing my right foot for a foot lock. The submission never materialized, I hung on like a G and kept him from getting a better position. He was pretty out of breath attempting his foot lock, and so I kind of rested too- but what surprised me was my wind seemed pretty good compared to his. I ended up getting his back and time ran out. Another stalemate, but good match nonetheless. Afterwords he asked how long I had been doing Jits.

3rd partner was a tiny ( maybe 150lbs ), young white belt, but was scrappy as hell and full of energy. We battled back and forth and I tend to take it easy on lighter opponents. I got a kimura and an ezekial choke on him and he got a nice arm bar on me. At one point he had side mount on me, so I grabbed his head with my left arm, then planted my right arm under his belly and benched his body while holding his head and swept him.

4th partner ( wow, 4 rounds today ) was the friend of the partner above, same size and age I guess, but trained in mma. Boy was he scrappy and full of energy and he tended to go all out and really employ pressure tactics, such as pressing elbows into your face. Anyways, I was super tired and just held on and let him go for attacks. Sometimes I would try and pass guard with the new techniques learned, somehow I did get side control and just rode out the round. He was a tough and squirmy dude though with really good strength for his size.

Finished the session with monkey bars to finish off my grips. My BJJ coach mentioned that I have lost weight already, so that was cool to hear. All in all a great day.

Scope75
12-20-2012, 07:04 PM
This shit sounds fun!!

Turbo6GN
12-20-2012, 07:28 PM
[QUOTE=NOA;6005]I dig the kneebar the most :) I can only do it on upper belts and not on fellow white belts. I have only been able to get a kneebar on a blue belt, but we spoke before we rolled and agreed we could do them between the both of us ( im a white belt ). Otherwise the school I go to, kind of frowns upon any type of leg and footlock.

I hear if one is locked on you ( a footlock ), at first it's like "okay..." but then the next day it can really hurt and sometimes it can last for months... impeding your progress as a consequence.[/QUOTE

We don't allow our white belts to try footlocks or kneebars while rolling. The problem with a foot lock, heel hook or toe hold is it goes from tolerable discomfort (like defending a choke for example) to severe damage in an instant. There is no onset of pain to tell you to tap so you try to ride it out, next thing you know ker-snap!!

Rulk
12-20-2012, 09:02 PM
This shit sounds fun!!

I am starting to have a blast. I'm improving, so this makes it more enjoyable. Try it Scope, it could change your life.

[QUOTE=NOA;6005]I dig the kneebar the most :) I can only do it on upper belts and not on fellow white belts. I have only been able to get a kneebar on a blue belt, but we spoke before we rolled and agreed we could do them between the both of us ( im a white belt ). Otherwise the school I go to, kind of frowns upon any type of leg and footlock.

I hear if one is locked on you ( a footlock ), at first it's like "okay..." but then the next day it can really hurt and sometimes it can last for months... impeding your progress as a consequence.[/QUOTE

We don't allow our white belts to try footlocks or kneebars while rolling. The problem with a foot lock, heel hook or toe hold is it goes from tolerable discomfort (like defending a choke for example) to severe damage in an instant. There is no onset of pain to tell you to tap so you try to ride it out, next thing you know ker-snap!!

Yeah I kind of feel guilty. Against my carpooler/friend and jits partner, ( he is a blue belt ) we agreed to allow leg locks between each other.

Today it was instinct and I never agreed with my partner ( number 2 ), I just went for the kneebar. In kind he went for the ankle lock and I did'nt say shit. Fair is fair. I did not know that about severe damage in an instant, and I will try and avoid those types of holds. I do know that the upper UPPER belts do leg and foot locks on each other, but I will have to ask my coach what is expected and be patient if I can't do them ( yet ).

Turbo6GN
12-20-2012, 09:47 PM
I am starting to have a blast. I'm improving, so this makes it more enjoyable. Try it Scope, it could change your life.

[QUOTE=Turbo6GN;6819]

Yeah I kind of feel guilty. Against my carpooler/friend and jits partner, ( he is a blue belt ) we agreed to allow leg locks between each other.

Today it was instinct and I never agreed with my partner ( number 2 ), I just went for the kneebar. In kind he went for the ankle lock and I did'nt say shit. Fair is fair. I did not know that about severe damage in an instant, and I will try and avoid those types of holds. I do know that the upper UPPER belts do leg and foot locks on each other, but I will have to ask my coach what is expected and be patient if I can't do them ( yet ).

Most of the higher (high purples, brown and black) belts I've watched will yell "TAP" as soon as one gets locked in, it just isn't worth the permanent damage, especially when rolling against your own partners. I learned to leave my ego at the door years ago, if I get caught so be it, learn the lesson and move on!!

Have fun and stay healthy!!

Sorrow
12-20-2012, 09:56 PM
My best friend lives for ankle locks. Of course last time he applied one outside training he accidently broke a jackass's ankle. Literaly told the guy to quit f'ng with him, didn't. said tap or snap, wouldnt.. snap insued.

Glad you're having a blast!

Rulk
12-20-2012, 11:08 PM
[QUOTE=NOA;6833]I am starting to have a blast. I'm improving, so this makes it more enjoyable. Try it Scope, it could change your life.

Most of the higher (high purples, brown and black) belts I've watched will yell "TAP" as soon as one gets locked in, it just isn't worth the permanent damage, especially when rolling against your own partners. I learned to leave my ego at the door years ago, if I get caught so be it, learn the lesson and move on!!

Have fun and stay healthy!! I do leave my ego behind, but sometimes not all the way. Definetly need to keep it fun and stay healthy, couldn't agree more.

My best friend lives for ankle locks. Of course last time he applied one outside training he accidently broke a jackass's ankle. Literaly told the guy to quit f'ng with him, didn't. said tap or snap, wouldnt.. snap insued.

Glad you're having a blast! Ouch! I hope I never have to use my Jits in a real life situation, nor my firearms. Thanks Sorrow!

Scope75
12-20-2012, 11:49 PM
I'd be so down to do something like this but I'd have to drive 1hr to do it.

Rulk
01-02-2013, 04:29 PM
I'd be so down to do something like this but I'd have to drive 1hr to do it. I'd at least try it. My trek is around 30 minutes, but granted, it's on my way to work.

Update: 1/02/2013

Happy New Years guys!

So I did absolutely nothing for my whole winter break, and to top things off, I ate what I wanted, drank what I wanted, and therefore took two steps back. Going back to Jits today felt so awesome. Cardio was a bit off and strength was not as high as usual either.

I am rolling much better though, smoother and more technique. I learned 2 new cool leg locks today as well: A calf slicer from a lockedown half guard, and the other one I did not get a name, but it appears to attack the groin area and one of the knees.

Rolling:
1st partner ( white belt ). I tapped to a lapel choke, but returned with a kimura to tap my partner out. I had an easy time passing guard and attempting the north south choke, but I could not seal the deal.

2nd partner ( blue belt ). Battled for position mostly, but I got one sweep in, which was cool. Time expired for a draw, with no submissions from either of us.

3rd partner ( blue belt ). ( should have been my 4th, but I sat out a round ). This guy is a beast, he wrestled before and all the times I have rolled with him, I have gotten my butt kicked. 1st time we rolled I think he submitted me twice, maybe 3 times. 2nd time we rolled, I tapped due to exhaustion, but I did exceptionally better that time. Today was the 3rd time rolling with him. I got in his guard, he pulls a nice sweep and battles for side and mount, which he gets eventually. He goes for an armbar and I roll out of it and get on top of him, while he is on all fours. He gets out, gets mount and goes for that armbar again, which he locks in this time and I tap. Time runs out. This guy is making me better and I really appreciate that.

4th partner ( white belt. Same guy as round 1. Both exhausted, I quickly gain side control and go for the kimura again, but this time he does not tap. I don't go after it and we go back to guard. Time runs out. Great day of rolling.

Post rolling- I try to do the monkey bars, but can't really muster the get up and go to do it.

Go to my other gym ( traditional weights and stuff ) and sit in the wet and dry sauna for a little over 6 minutes ( 5 in the wet, the rest in the dry ). I feel like this is helping. You sweat out the toxins, and hopefully the lungs get a little cleaning action from the wet sauna as well.

Nutrition: Had my pre/intra/post shakes ( thats a lot of water, about 60 ounces ). As of now I am so not hungry. I will do a shake just to get something in me and later on I will have grilled chicken with veggies.

Gonna try and do jits tomorrow and friday.

Sorrow
01-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Sounds like a great time man! I love sauna's.. trying to figure out the finances/placement to just build or order one for my house.

Scope75
01-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Shakes shakes shakes!!
Replace some of them with a chicken breast or some steak.

Rulk
01-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Sounds like a great time man! I love sauna's.. trying to figure out the finances/placement to just build or order one for my house.

I'd love to have a sauna at the house. I've seen some that don't look outrageously priced, but for now the gym's sauna is working out very well. I want to find an article on heat shock proteins and saunas...

Yeah, I have not lifted in a while, but I am having a blast. Saturday and Sunday I should start my lifting program.

Rulk
01-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Shakes shakes shakes!!
Replace some of them with a chicken breast or some steak.

Gonna have to work up to the amount of times I can start eating that way again. I have a chicken meal coming up real quick. I'll be lucky to get 3 in, and that's what is in my program. Tomorrow I will have at least one ground beef meal to mix things up.

Scope75
01-02-2013, 05:51 PM
So how many shakes to you have a day and how many meals do you have??
Seems like shakes all day then a chicken meal at the end.
My chicken and veggie meals only have 800-1200 cals how many do yours have??

Rulk
01-02-2013, 06:43 PM
So how many shakes to you have a day and how many meals do you have??
Seems like shakes all day then a chicken meal at the end.
My chicken and veggie meals only have 800-1200 cals how many do yours have??

The pre/intra/post shakes are bare minimum, and hardly count towards the days total macros. It's kind of inline with intermittant fasting. I'll make an effort to get a solid food meal in a few hours after jits. Today's 1st solid food meal was probably around 400 calories, if even that. Later I will have a shake, then another chicken meal. When I get home, I will have cottage cheese and maybe throw in some berries.

It's the days where i'm really hungry after eating so clean, that I tend to goof off. So to counter that, I will have more fruit, nuts and what have you, to snack on. I figure as long as it's healthy, it should not be calorie dense, yet filling, so it's safe.. compared to the crap I was eating.

Roughly I am aiming to get in around 2000 calories a day. With 3 solid food meals around 5 calories each, the shakes and all the snacks, it should get me somewhere around there. If energy is draining too quickly, I tend to have a spoonfull of almond butter before I go to bed.

Scope75
01-02-2013, 07:25 PM
2k cals for a guy your size???
I need 2500-3000 cals to stay in the 190-210 area.
Your body is going to go into starving mode and just store everything.

Rulk
01-02-2013, 08:01 PM
2k cals for a guy your size???
I need 2500-3000 cals to stay in the 190-210 area.
Your body is going to go into starving mode and just store everything. My body composition has changed a lot over the past 6 years. It seemed like I used to be able to come off a layoff from the gym, and be back to full strength in about a month. This last run took me a year or longer to get to my old strength. Even then, I still could not do the reps I used to be able to do. Definetly need more time to get those numbers back to where they once were, but it had me thinking about the subject of TRT.

Anyways yeah, it's gotta be drastic sort of, to see the changes I want. Now if I was lifting and trying to get bigger and stronger, than I would be looking for more calories. I think the most important thing for me now is to drop a lot of weight, and then worry about strength. Btw, size is taking a back seat for the rest of my life. Down the road if I start looking more muscular due to strength training, so be it, but size will hurt my jits game more than help it.

If I am losing too much muscle, strength, stamina and so on, I will add more calories. But I think the high influx of protein, amino acids, and strategically timed carbs, will help to preserve as much muscle as I can naturally.

Come spring, I will see how much I have lost and how good I look. Hopefully everything will be optimal to possibly try some "assistance"... ( still have to be cool with this ethically ).

Rulk
01-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Right elbow and right shoulder ( more rear delt ) have been xtremely inflammed, since wednesday. Today the shoulder socket feels much better, so does the right elbow, but I am going to give it one more nights rest before I hit up jits tomorrow.

Tonight I will hit up lower body at the gym. Interested to see if I will have soreness and if that will effect my grappling.

Rodja
01-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Right elbow and right shoulder ( more rear delt ) have been xtremely inflammed, since wednesday. Today the shoulder socket feels much better, so does the right elbow, but I am going to give it one more nights rest before I hit up jits tomorrow.

Tonight I will hit up lower body at the gym. Interested to see if I will have soreness and if that will effect my grappling.

This sounds like some adhesions in the rotator cuff muscles (specifically the teres minor) and the thoracic spine.

Rulk
01-07-2013, 05:15 PM
This sounds like some adhesions in the rotator cuff muscles (specifically the teres minor) and the thoracic spine.

Hm.. I'll have to google that. You think time off is the key ( one more night ), or some anti-inflammatory meds?

Rodja
01-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Hm.. I'll have to google that. You think time off is the key ( one more night ), or some anti-inflammatory meds?

Grab a baseball, softball, etc. and roll it along your thoracic and in the armpit area where the lats/triceps tie-in.

Rulk
01-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Grab a baseball, softball, etc. and roll it along your thoracic and in the armpit area where the lats/triceps tie-in.

Done. Rodja, once again, thank you.

Rulk
01-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Found my foam roller and have been hitting the rear delt/arm pit area. I have not gone to jits all week, but tomorrow it's on.

For cardio I am doing the stairs at work, up to 4 times a day. It's something at least.

Also, I have been really wanting to get back to lifting... I really miss it ( being on schedule and everything ). Alas, when I do get back to the iron, it will bend more towards strength, power and explosivness then hypertrophy.

Rulk
01-16-2013, 08:13 PM
Been sick for for almost a week now. Not going to expose my BJJ school.

Rulk
02-25-2013, 07:36 PM
pasted from AM-

gonna hit legs light tonight.

Over the weekend, my agression was noticably higher. Also I decided to do some pull ups, and I should have warmed up. I was doing more pullups than I normally can, very strange after a layoff of 2 months. BUT.. I strained a muscle in my neck! No bueno. Still feels very painfull, but i'm managing. Like I said, I am going to do light legs tonight, otherwise I would have done chest and back.

Other stuff i'm noticing- More muscle fullness, increased hunger. Scale has not gone up or down so far.

Rulk
02-28-2013, 11:49 PM
Monday hit Chest and Back, instead of Legs, and last night ( tuesday ), hit legs. Both workouts were awesome. Drive, energy, recuperation between sets, all seem to have increased a level or two. Finding some parts have been more sore than usual, but we'll see if this continues next week. Definitely going to finish this bottle and get another one. The 2nd bottle I will throw in a couple more things, to make things interesting.

Took Wednesday off, and hitting delts and arms tonight.

islandmagic
03-01-2013, 07:28 AM
is your knees hurting from BJJ.. my dam knees are sore

Rodja
03-01-2013, 07:31 AM
Either one of you ever been heelhooked?

islandmagic
03-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Yes in practice-- It is a very dangerous move because you can break their Ankle in seconds... Yes it hurts like hell!

Rodja
03-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Yes in practice-- It is a very dangerous move because you can break their Ankle in seconds... Yes it hurts like hell!

Blowing out the knee is the more likely scenario. Jorge Gurgel's career never recovered from the heelhook that Imanari put on him.

Coolazice
03-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Blowing out the knee is the more likely scenario. Jorge Gurgel's career never recovered from the heelhook that Imanari put on him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE-_skFR5S0

That did look pretty painful! That's too bad too because Jorge seems like a really cool person from the couple of conversations I've had with him.

Rulk
03-01-2013, 07:50 PM
is your knees hurting from BJJ.. my dam knees are sore The time I have had away recently, they have gotten better, but trying to squat the other night... It was a no go. I had to go through my whole leg routine and do squats last. Even then, I had to put a plate under my heel, to get rid of the pain. i'll try the plate under the heel first thing, the next time I do legs.

Either one of you ever been heelhooked? Straight ankle lock, a lot, but I have not been heel hooked yet, nor do I want to.

I am only going to do jits once a week for a while. Joint pain got too much. I will heal back up and go back, but next time I will be more assertive in saying " lets roll light this day", and so on. Getting back into lifting feels awesome right now. I am working around the pain in my shoulder, but it started getting better with putting pressure on it, and just getting back into lifting in general.

Rulk
03-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Past updates:

"Oh man, phenominal workout tonight. Blasted Delts, Biceps and Triceps in one night. I just kept going and going, and a lot of strength came back vs last week. During the day I am finding myself in such a positive mood, and more energy throughout the day."

"Just the mood benefits are pretty amazing. But once you start working out, it's like "unlocking" a hidden energy and strength reserve. I'd be very interested to know if one can run this year round. Serisously, I am liking the effects that much."

"Well, good news.

I actually woke up early enough to make an "Open Mat" session at my BJJ school, and got the best workout of the year so far. After being away from Brazilian Jiujitsu for 2 months, I thought I would have cardio and endurance issues. It was the complete opposite! I had more energy, drive, agression, endurance, cardio- than I have had in years. The 2 month layoff normally would have reset my cardio and endurance back some, i'm just shocked.

I ended up rolling straight for about 20 minutes or more. Rested, did some bag work and a couple other things. All this too on only 3 hours sleep, and yes, I did have coffee with my Versa-1 that morning too.

Today I am feeling pretty good. Sore and spent, but it's all good.

To everyone at Usp labs... This may be my favorite Usp labs supplement so far- Prime and Powerfull have been at the top for years. Again, i'd like to know how long one can run Versa-1? "

Rulk
03-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Update:

Chest and Back. Simply I nailed it again. Great workout, going from one chest excercise, to a back excercise- repeat. Strength is up too, from last week. I think next week I will be close to what I was using back in september.

I am already looking leaner, yet the scale is not really moving too much. The hunger spike comes and goes, but the more active I am, the more hungry I get. I've also decided to add Anabeta to this run, come the 2nd bottle. Just want to see what happens

The next time I run Versa-1, I think I will be much leaner than I am now, and I want to add Compound 20. Maybe throw in Erase Pro as well

- - - Updated - - -

Update:

Tuesday I hit legs, and this time, started out using the plate under my heels. It worked like a charm and I squatted with zero knee pain. Pretty good leg workout compared to last weeks. Now, is it me or are do DOMS linger around more while on Versa?

Wednesday I rested up for a Jits session on thursday. I was also going to hit delts and arms, thursday night.

Thursday morning, I get to jits and have an okay session. My first round of rolling went well, but I gassed waaay too early for my liking. I think next time I will try and get more carbs in before. I'm also going to start concentrating on more cardio, by sandwiching my lifting session with with the elliptical machine.

Friday I rested, and lately I have been really hungry again. I've been goofing up on my diet the last 2 days, but it's not making a noticable difference. I don't put all my stock in what the scales say anymore, but I do pay close attention to it, by weighing in every other morning or so. When I started back lifting again weeks ago, I shot right up to 270lbs, ( from 267-ish ). After the first week, I started losing weight again, and currently I weigh in at 264.9lbs.

Tonight, or early morning, I just downed a couple of whole egg wraps, with ranch dressing mix, infused cottage cheese. I'm looking leaner, my waist is the smallest it's been in years, and my muscles are really full and tight- which I give credit to the extra calories/ off diet food. Normally I eat so many veggies and whole food protein sources, that I don't get a whole lot of carbs in my diet, thus my pleasant surprise of looking and feeling "jacked" tonight.

Saturday morning, I plan on getting a jits session in, and hopefully hitting delts and arms after. Lets hope I find the time.

I am very curious though, how does Versa-1 one work exactly? So far I want to say I attribute the mental aspects, as the main benefit, via Versa-1. I'm almost always in a good mood, my motivation has never been so high in so long, and for once in my life, I find myself wanting to go to the gym everyday. Imo, I give my consistant and clean diet the most credit, followed by a smart excercise program. Nutrition and consistency have always been my downfall, and it's something I needed to work on. Versa-1 makes me feel like I can finally put everything together, so in that respect, I think I owe a lot to Versa-1.

Basically, I can't put my thumb on this one yet. I feel great, and that's something I didnt feel before I started. So reps, give me an idea of how this stuff works! Tell me if it's some kind of test booster, adaptive agent, nutrient partitioner, whatever, or is this the benefit of a much improved "Mind to Muscle Link"?

Rulk
03-13-2013, 02:33 AM
Update:

Pretty damn awesome day of jits ( Tuesday ). From the warm ups, to learning a new half-guard pass, to rolling, this has been the best session so far this year. I never got close to being tapped today, I felt unstoppable, and I tapped out 2 out of 3 of my partners. After jits I hit the bench for 1 set, rested a minute, hit dips for one set, followed immediatly by pushups. Don't know where I found the energy for that, but it was there. Also, even though I was pretty damn spent afterwords, I was not so sore as usual. Probably a combo of getting more familiar with jits, the gi, and using more technique instead of strength, PLUS, starting to get a little more battle conditioned.

Tomorrow I have legs.

I wanted to mention my diet also. So lately I have been eating way more whole food, and much less shakes/supplements. I do mix 20 to 30 grams of peptopro here and there, and drink it with meals, between meals, as sort of a flavored drink and to supplement more protein into my diet. I also use it pre-intra-post workout. Basically I am drinking the stuff all day and night.

So your probably asking, how are you eating more whole food and less shakes? I'm eating 4 whole food meals a day, and it's a lot more food than I am used to eating. I'm getting a lot of calories in from protien, and fat, with some carbs, and I figure that the peptopro is added insurance to get enough protein in for the day. It is expensive, but I feel it's working. The scale started moving south again, but my body is changing more drastically in the mirror department. I feel I am experiencing a nice recomp, naturally.

Besides stuff like All-In pre-workout, peptopro, the only other real sports supplement that i can think of, that I am taking, is Versa-1. I've quickly fallen for this little gem. It's turning me into a beast, or it's all the whole food i'm am eating, or some kind of combo. It's kind of hard to explain, but once you start taking it, you'll know what i'm talking about. It feels like a mild ph. I can squeeze out more strength than i'm used to, i'm more focused and upbeat than i'm used to, more driven and aggresive too. Other stuff I have observed is: increased appetite, all day, everyday ( except for like one day ), i'm sleeping better, i'm more alert, more DOMS that lat longer or feel more severe.

I have not made dramatic changes in any aspect, but for sure an improvement has been seen in almost all aspects. I look better, move better, I weigh less, so something is working. I do want to add, there has been some days, where I splurge and cheat on my diet. After all my meals, or after a scheduled meal, I still have a big appetitie. I've broken down and gotten soda pop and chips more than I would like to admit, but I am working so hard, it's not halting progress. Eating well lately has been very consistant for the most part though.

Rulk
03-19-2013, 11:44 PM
Update:

Had a hickup today. In the process of light rolling, I kept getting vertigo. I had to stop and made an appointment to see the doc that day. Good news is that it's not serious and caused by upper respitory events ( cold/allergies ). Gonna lift here to make up for the lack of physical activity.

Rulk
03-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Okay, Round 2.

Took almost a week off from the gym and Versa-1. Started back up last night and also introduced Anabeta. As of today, my 2nd day, my appetite has soared! It's like I can't get full. I'm eating chicken breasts w/mustard, one ground beef patty, fruit and veggie smoothies, mixed nuts, hard boiled eggs, and a protein powder here and there- especially around workouts. Gonna try drinking more water, to help reduce this hunger, and hopefully it gets better.

Last night I did delts and arms and felt great. Tonight is legs.

markam
03-27-2013, 04:55 AM
Hi Noa, you've got me interested in Versa 1, def have to try it some time. What dosage and how long did you use it for?
Also, how do you rate Peptopro compared to Humapro? I recently tried Peptopro, but I'm undecided.

Re appetite, when I use something that I know will jack my appetite up, I also eat before taking it. I found that using Dermacrine before I ate would often result in a very large meal and bowls of cereal, so I always eat beforehand. Sounds like everything's going well for you, now.

Rulk
03-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Hi Noa, you've got me interested in Versa 1, def have to try it some time. What dosage and how long did you use it for?
Also, how do you rate Peptopro compared to Humapro? I recently tried Peptopro, but I'm undecided.

Re appetite, when I use something that I know will jack my appetite up, I also eat before taking it. I found that using Dermacrine before I ate would often result in a very large meal and bowls of cereal, so I always eat beforehand. Sounds like everything's going well for you, now.

I take 1 capsule 30 minutes to an hour before working out. Drinking a cup of coffee after dosing boosts it's effects. Started a 2nd bottle this week, along with anabeta. Longest you should run versa is 2 months, then take 4 weeks off. The mental boosts from versa are what i've mainly falling for. You do feel more aggressive and driven on it. It's just a pretty little cool supp.

After using Humapro on and off for years, and giving MAP and rx whey's peptopro a shot, I can confidently say that I like pepto more than Humapro. If I notice anything about pepto, it's the faster recovery. Otherwise it does nothing else, besides just giving you more protein. Humapro is hard to see the results if you don't know what to look for. I mainly used it to drop weight and preserve muscle. You wont really notice it directly, so it does not give you a really big boost mentally.

I'm starting to believe that most supps increase mental attributes, ala the placebo effect. It may sound corny, but it probably does have some impact on your overall results. Everything starts with the mind, the power of the mind is incredible. Whether we trick ourselves into believing something is working, and it's not true, at least in the mean time, your actually putting in the work. So wherever the motivation comes from, does not matter, roll with it. I could be wrong, and i'm still exploring this idea.. end rant;)

I'd like to see your feedback on versa-1. I was skeptical at first, but after taking it, I really like it. Very different product than anything out there.

VayneZ
03-27-2013, 07:13 PM
liked what you said about the mind there NOA

markam
03-28-2013, 04:00 AM
Thanks Noa.

I'll give Versa 1 a shot later this year as I've got some other stuff to try first. Does Versa-1 need time to build up in your system or the effects are there from day 1?

Re Humapro,etc: If I'm cutting I use Alri chain'd out rather than Humapro, as Bcaas are more geared to preserving muscle. A 10g serving of Chain'd out is a 2:1:1 Bcaa mix with Leucine @ 3.5g, and I'm adding 3.5 bulk Leucine so it's a 4:1:1 blend. The bcaas in Chain'd out are malates which are less likely to be broken down used as fuel than regular Bcaas.

I'll probably get some Peptopro and take a shot 10g pre, intra, post, but it's hardly something I'd want to sip on when I'm working out, but I have Chain'd out for that. If I wasn't using Bcaas, I'd add in some bulk Leucine to the peptopro, maybe 6g.

Rulk
03-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Thanks Noa.

I'll give Versa 1 a shot later this year as I've got some other stuff to try first. Does Versa-1 need time to build up in your system or the effects are there from day 1?

Re Humapro,etc: If I'm cutting I use Alri chain'd out rather than Humapro, as Bcaas are more geared to preserving muscle. A 10g serving of Chain'd out is a 2:1:1 Bcaa mix with Leucine @ 3.5g, and I'm adding 3.5 bulk Leucine so it's a 4:1:1 blend. The bcaas in Chain'd out are malates which are less likely to be broken down used as fuel than regular Bcaas.

I'll probably get some Peptopro and take a shot 10g pre, intra, post, but it's hardly something I'd want to sip on when I'm working out, but I have Chain'd out for that. If I wasn't using Bcaas, I'd add in some bulk Leucine to the peptopro, maybe 6g.

I like Chain'd out, good product. I was adding leucine to peptopro, but now just take about 5 grams before I eat ( whole food ). Versa-1, I could of swore I felt it the first day. My first week back to the gym while starting versa, seemed to help my transition. Drive and aggression were noticable, along with a good mood, all within a week- easily.