PDA

View Full Version : postwo carbs

DJM
01-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Human insulinotropic response to oral ingestion ... [Amino Acids. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18679613)

Human insulinotropic response to oral ingestion of native and hydrolysed whey protein.
Power O, Hallihan A, Jakeman P.
Source

Human Science Research Unit, Department of Physical Education and Sports Science, University of Limerick, Limerick, Ireland. orla.power@ul.ie
Abstract

The insulinotropic response to the ingestion of whey protein and whey protein hydrolysate, independent of carbohydrate, is not known. This study examined the effect of protein hydrolysis on the insulinotropic response to the ingestion of whey protein. Sixteen healthy males ingested a 500 mL solution containing either 45 g of whey protein (WPI) or whey protein hydrolysate (WPH). The estimated rate of gastric emptying was not altered by hydrolysis of the protein [18 (3) vs. 23 (3) min, n = 16; P = 0.15]. Maximum plasma insulin concentration (Cmax) occurred later (40 vs. 60 min) and was 28% [234 (26) vs. 299 (31) mM, P = 0.018] greater following ingestion of the WPH compared to the WPI leading to a 43% increase [7.6 (0.9) vs. 10.8 (2.6) nM, P = 0.21] in the AUC of insulin for the WPH. Of the amino acids with known insulinotropic properties only Phe demonstrated a significantly greater maximal concentration [C (max); 65 (2) vs. 72 (3) microM, n = 16; P = 0.01] and increase (+22%) in AUC following ingestion of the WPH. In conclusion, ingestion of whey protein is an effective insulin secretagogue. Hydrolysis of whey protein prior to ingestion augments the maximal insulin concentration by a mechanism that is unrelated to gastric emptying of the peptide solution.

Rodja
01-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Nice find.

Scope75
01-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Sweet!
Sounds like I'll pulse the hydro for 15 after my workout then eat some carbs 30-45 minutes later like PNmike suggested.

Rulk
01-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Little confused. With such a max on insuline release from wheyhydro, it's cool to forego the simple carbs post workout?

Infamy
01-07-2013, 04:19 AM
Yes. And I do just that. I mix why isolate with free EAA and some peptopro pro.

What the study doesn't say is that the insulin response is as a result of an increase in blood sugar (created by the immediate conversion of some of those free amino acids from wph). Therefore post workout carbs in your share aren't necessary where using hydrolysed whey protein, bcaas, eaa or just free form aminos) and if cutting carbs post workout, are a terrible idea.

Little confused. With such a max on insuline release from wheyhydro, it's cool to forego the simple carbs post workout?

Scope75
01-07-2013, 07:23 AM
Yes. And I do just that. I mix why isolate with free EAA and some peptopro pro.

What the study doesn't say is that the insulin response is as a result of an increase in blood sugar (created by the immediate conversion of some of those free amino acids from wph). Therefore post workout carbs in your share aren't necessary where using hydrolysed whey protein, bcaas, eaa or just free form aminos) and if cutting carbs post workout, are a terrible idea.
Great info and thanks for shareing.
I'll be cutting out carbs until I'm back on my feet but until then I'll be pounding a hydro whey shake after my workouts.