PDA

View Full Version : Paleo & Bulking

Jorsn
01-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Normally these two words don't go together in the same sentence, But i'm wondering..., Have any of you been able to add muscle with a strict Paleo Diet? This includes using AAS, Peptides, PH's, Supps, Protein powders, BCAAS, Etc.

I have done paleo in the past but wasn't able to gain any muscle. I'm wondering if their are paleo diets out there that are specifically focused on 'bulking'.

weekend
01-08-2013, 09:54 PM
i feel like you can get huge off meat, butter, potatoes and fruit... pretty fast too

Scope75
01-08-2013, 10:08 PM
i feel like you can get huge off meat, butter, potatoes and fruit... pretty fast too

X2!!!

Jorsn
01-08-2013, 10:11 PM

I suppose you are right. I was eating mostly chicken, fish, eggs, ground beef, veggies, almonds and some fruits.

Scope75
01-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Take in more cals than maintance and you'll be bulking.
Ditch the chicken and start eating steaks.

Rulk
01-08-2013, 10:23 PM
I'd say yes for sure, considering all things are on point. Jorsn, do you have something specific in mind your trying to accomplish?

Jorsn
01-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Take in more cals than maintance and you'll be bulking.
Ditch the chicken and start eating steaks.

Yeah and that was the hard part when you're eating mostly protein/fats. Red meat doesn't sit well with my stomach. I'll pick up some grass fed ground beef and eat it every other day.

This time around I think i'll try and get more carbs in before I work out then after work out stick to protein and fats. Give that a go for a few weeks then re-evaluate from there.

I'd say yes for sure, considering all things are on point. Jorsn, do you have something specific in mind your trying to accomplish?

Just trying some different approaches to add some lean muscle. I honestly loved that way I felt while eating Paleo as far as energy, emotions, endurance, asthma, recovery, sleeping... It was just hard to gain muscle.

Scope75
01-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Try adding in more fatty fish and adding olive oil and or other healthy fats to your diet.

Rulk
01-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Yeah and that was the hard part when you're eating mostly protein/fats. Red meat doesn't sit well with my stomach. I'll pick up some grass fed ground beef and eat it every other day.

This time around I think i'll try and get more carbs in before I work out then after work out stick to protein and fats. Give that a go for a few weeks then re-evaluate from there.

Just trying some different approaches to add some lean muscle. I honestly loved that way I felt while eating Paleo as far as energy, emotions, endurance, asthma, recovery, sleeping... It was just hard to gain muscle.

I have a co-worker who lost a lot of weight on paleo and swears by it. the biggest thing he feels is the lack of allergy, while following paleo. He feels great and it's not worth it to him to feel sick. If your already following paleo, then you probably already know good carb sources to add. Adding in more carbs is what I would try first. Good luck brotha.

Scope75
01-08-2013, 11:13 PM
What are your carb sources right now??

Jorsn
01-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Try adding in more fatty fish and adding olive oil and or other healthy fats to your diet.

I've already done this. Sorry, Should have noted before. I use a lot of coconut oil... I'm not a big fan of the taste of olive oil.

I have a co-worker who lost a lot of weight on paleo and swears by it. the biggest thing he feels is the lack of allergy, while following paleo. He feels great and it's not worth it to him to feel sick. If your already following paleo, then you probably already know good carb sources to add. Adding in more carbs is what I would try first. Good luck brotha.

Yeah I know a lot of Cross-fitters swear by it. Well, I'm not doing paleo at the moment but I do know what carbs you can and cannot eat. I'm going to switch to getting most of my carbs in my pre work out meal and see how that goes. I've never tried this so I have no clue what to expect.

What are your carb sources right now??

I'm gluten intolerant so I gotta be careful. Mostly black beans and white rice then I throw in fruits once or twice a day.

Jorsn
01-10-2013, 10:35 PM
I've been doing some research on stuff to add to my Paleo Diet and found some very neat stuff...

Products | Earth Balance Soy Free Natural Buttery Spread | Earth Balance (http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/product/soy-free-buttery-spread/)
^^Soy Free Butter.

Soy-Free
Vegan
Lactose-Free
Gluten-Free
Expeller-Pressed Oils
0g Trans Fat
Casein-Free
Non-GMO

As someone who HATES bread.... I can't wait to try Paleo Bread!! Paleo Breadâ„¢ By The Julian Bakery (http://www.paleobread.com/)

and then dairy-free cheese Shreds (http://www.galaxyfoods.com/galaxy-products/vegan/vegan-shreds/)
^^Still not sure about this. I tried Daiya Foods dairy free cheese and it was horrible! We'll see.

Forgot about Coconut and Peanut Butter Spread...
Products | Earth Balance Creamy Coconut & Peanut Spread | Earth Balance (http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/product/creamy-coconut-peanut-spread/)
^^I'm gonna get a few jars of this stuff. I love me some almond butter, It will be nice to have this also to switch back and forth.

Then there are the protein powders... Some days i'm just not in the mood to eat food, But I know I need to get in some calories... So that's where protein powders come in handy.

True Nutrition | Beef Protein Isolate (1lb)
(http://www.truenutrition.com/p-1075-beef-protein-isolate-1lb.aspx)
^^This is TrueNutritions beef protein isolate. I personally haven't tried it but i'm gonna order some and see how it tastes.

Then there is Vegan Protein which is what I use... Hemp, Pea and Rice protein for those wondering what vegan protein is.
True Nutrition | Vegan Protein Optimizer Formula (1lb)
(http://www.truenutrition.com/p-1169-vegan-protein-optimizer-formula-1lb.aspx?)
^^I would give this a 7/10, Where they can really improve is with the grainyness at the bottom of the cup. I actually found out that Rxwhey will be carrying a Vegan Protein Formula starting sometime this week so i'm looking forward to that. Supposedly they took of the grainy issue, We'll see.

I just found out about this protein powder the other night...
True Nutrition | Sacha Inchi Protein Powder (1lb)
(http://www.truenutrition.com/p-4614-sacha-inchi-protein-powder-1lb.aspx?)
^^Sacha Inchi Protein? I've never heard of it but eventually i'll give it a try.

Scope75
01-10-2013, 10:41 PM
That bread is suppose to be good but I haven't tried it.
The coconut bread is the one I'd get.
Check out that site and you'll find a shit load of good tasty recipes.

Jorsn
01-10-2013, 11:02 PM
That bread is suppose to be good but I haven't tried it.
The coconut bread is the one I'd get.
Check out that site and you'll find a shit load of good tasty recipes.

It certainly looks good! Gonna have some on my coconut bread with breakfast!!
I'm gonna order both breads.

Rulk
01-10-2013, 11:14 PM

Definitely want to know what you think, Jorsn! It looks too good to be true...

Scope75
01-10-2013, 11:47 PM

Save yourself some money and make your own.
That's what I'll be doing.
Buy the coconut flour and some eggs and a couple other items and bake. Done deal and for less than shipping alone.
Trust me one you start to make your own you'll start making more good stuff. Almond meal pancakes, coconut flour pancakes, and a host of other good stuff is out there.

Jorsn
01-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Buy the coconut flour and some eggs and a couple other items and bake. Done deal and for less than shipping alone.
Trust me one you start to make your own you'll start making more good stuff. Almond meal pancakes, coconut flour pancakes, and a host of other good stuff is out there.

I'll eventually start doing this.. I just don't have the time at the moment.

BBG
01-10-2013, 11:53 PM
OMG this bread seems like it would be so tasty! I need to make some. Nice find guys

Rulk
01-10-2013, 11:56 PM

This^

I'll eventually start doing this.. I just don't have the time at the moment.

..and this^!

Having a little bread that is okay to have will be an oasis...

Scope75
01-11-2013, 12:07 AM
It takes very little time and it can be baking while you do something else.
Or my favorite late night baking so you have a tasty treat in the morning.

xxiv
01-11-2013, 07:41 AM

I'll fire some up and see how it goes.

Rodja
01-11-2013, 08:38 AM
I'm a little sad that I wasn't asked about this.

Bulking on Paleo is the epitome of a clean bulk. Remember, think calorie dense foods/sides like fried potatoes in EVCO, chicken thighs, bacon, avocados, etc. A meal of 8 oz of chicken thighs, 10oz of red potatoes in 2 Tbsp EVCO, an avocado, and a piece of fruit is well over 1200-1400kcals and is packed with nutrients.

Scope75
01-11-2013, 08:44 AM
I might make some this weekend too.
Need to find coconut flour.

markam
01-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Just made some coconut flour muffins. Then I ate them all.

Pretty good, denser than regular muffins, but taste fine.

Better go bake some more:)

Jorsn
01-12-2013, 03:11 AM
Just wanted to give y'all an update.

I got some of that Earth Balance Coconut and Peanut Butter Spread.... This stuff is freaking delicious!! I was literally going to sit there and eat it out of the jar but this tiny ass jar was like 5-6 dollars. So I only add 2 tbsp's to my shake. lol. But i'm gonna love around and see if I can find it for cheaper cause this shit is awesome.

I also grabbed some Earth Balance Soy Free Butter.... I haven't had butter in a long time so I can't say it tastes just like butter... but I don't think you would be able to taste the difference. I made some turkey burgers tonight.. Threw some Rice Cheese(also got this today, Very good btw) on top and some soy free butter. Damn this was soo good!!

I missed eating like this... Paleo, I'm backkkk!!

BTW, Yes, I know peanuts are not paleo... but that doesn't stop my girl from eating them. hahaha. But seriously, I'm gonna switch back and forth between peanut and almond butter.

markam
01-12-2013, 07:06 AM
Regardless that peanuts are or aren't Paleo, I switched to Almonds as I had read negative things about peanuts.
Here's a link to a article Ken Hess originally posted at PP.

Archive of Nutritional Articles by Ken Hess (http://www.swolesource.com/forum/diet-nutrition/427-archive-nutritional-articles-ken-hess.html)

Scope75
01-12-2013, 09:18 AM
If you guys haven't had it try cashew butter. GET SOME!!
That's stuff is really really good.
Hazelnut butter is really good too and hazelnut and cashew butter mixed together is really good.

markam
01-12-2013, 11:33 AM
If you guys haven't had it try cashew butter. GET SOME!!
That's stuff is really really good.
Hazelnut butter is really good too and hazelnut and cashew butter mixed together is really good.

Sorry, but have to say that cashew butter is really quite vile, with hazelnut a close second. Much prefer Almond butter, but each to their own. Lol.

Sure you weren't smoking something?

Scope75
01-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Sorry, but have to say that cashew butter is really quite vile, with hazelnut a close second. Much prefer Almond butter, but each to their own. Lol.

Sure you weren't smoking something?
Really???
The cashew butter I've ate is so rich and has a sweet taste to it, but damn its good.
Hazelnut butter is nice because it never gets solid and stays spreadable, plus it taste good.
Most likely its just different brands because I've had natural PB that I could barely choke down and I love me some PB.

If you see almond butter with roasted of toasted flax in it grab a jar and be prepared for some great tasting nut butter.

markam
01-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Really???
The cashew butter I've ate is so rich and has a sweet taste to it, but damn its good.
Hazelnut butter is nice because it never gets solid and stays spreadable, plus it taste good.
Most likely its just different brands because I've had natural PB that I could barely choke down and I love me some PB.

If you see almond butter with roasted of toasted flax in it grab a jar and be prepared for some great tasting nut butter.

Yep. When I want a healthy treat after a meal I have a spoon on almond butter. Haven't spread on anything for a long time, just eat it straight out the jar.

Just waiting to see if my latest coconut bread is going to be any good. Always best when I stick to recipes, but I never learn.:)

Scope75
01-12-2013, 01:32 PM
I'll spread some on a protien cake, pancakes, apples, celery, and stuff like that, but no bread.

I never stick to a recipe and so far I haven't made anything I didn't like.

I'll make some garlic, onion, and rosemary bread later today.

markam
01-12-2013, 01:59 PM
I'll spread some on a protien cake, pancakes, apples, celery, and stuff like that, but no bread.

I never stick to a recipe and so far I haven't made anything I didn't like.

I'll make some garlic, onion, and rosemary bread later today.

Quite the chef, aren't you. My bread was a disaster and will be binned:( still, the muffins I previously made were really good, so at least I can do that. I'll have to check your recipes out.

Jorsn
01-12-2013, 02:36 PM
That Paleo Bread isn't cheap... Like seven dollars for 14 slices. I'm only eating it at breakfast though, So $14 every two weeks isn't bad... At least that's what i'm telling myself. haha. Two weeks from now I should have a good recipe and i'll save some money by making it on my own.

BBG
01-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Quite the chef, aren't you.

I'd like to believe you were saying this extremely spitefully and frowning impossibly hard as you smashed your keyboard to type it out.

markam
01-12-2013, 05:25 PM
I'd like to believe you were saying this extremely spitefully and frowning impossibly hard as you smashed your keyboard to type it out.

Ha. That brought a smile to my face, which is more than I can say for that god dammed #"£%^£ bread!

BTW, I'm finding the addition of a half dose (8mg nettle root extract) of BPS Endosurge to the Testforce 2 + stack I'm running, very effective. I definitely will use this whenever I run DAA,

Edit. Endosurge is 3,4-Divanillyltetrahydrofuran and Mucuna pruriens

Scope75
01-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Quite the chef, aren't you. My bread was a disaster and will be binned:( still, the muffins I previously made were really good, so at least I can do that. I'll have to check your recipes out.
Before I started losing wieght and getting my life together I never cooked or baked anything, and all I knew how to do is BBQ.
So all in all I've been cooking/baking for 3-4 years.
I enjoy it and look forward to it every week. If I knew I liked cooking and making tasty treats as much as I do now I wouldn't be a mechanic.
I also made this bread
Paleo Bread - Healthy Gluten Free Bread Recipe - Elana's Pantry (http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-bread/)
I made it just like it says but I held back a 1/2 cup of almond flour.
I'll be making it again but with 3/4 cup almond, 1/2 cup coconut, 1/4 cup flax.

BBG
01-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Come weld a new flex pipe on my car

Scope75
01-12-2013, 05:54 PM
One thing I've been told by several people is I cook/bake with lots of LOVE!!! Lol
I do believe that helps me out some.

- - - Updated - - -

Come weld a new flex pipe on my car

Routed into the cab. Lol

markam
01-13-2013, 05:07 AM
One thing I've been told by several people is I cook/bake with lots of LOVE!!! Lol
I do believe that helps me out some.

Why this came to mind after reading that, who knows?

"Oh what's love got to do, got to do with it
What's love but a second hand emotion
What's love got to do, got to do with it
Who needs a heart
When a heart can be broken".

Jeez, promise not to go 'broke back mountain' on you. LOL

Anyway, I digress, slightly. As I cook also dinner for my son who is 10 yrs old, there's not much chance that he's going to eat much of the stuff I want to, and the wife thinks I'm a nut, so go figure. It would be so much easier if there weren't all these cheat foods in the house, but I don't do that badly at keeping my diet on point, and as I hardly ever drink now, and when I do, it would be 1/2 bottle of red wine every two weeks, so I feel I'm not doing too badly.

My food has to be prepared quite quickly, and a recent favourite meal was 1 egg and 100 ml egg white omelette and spinach with 100 grms smoked salmon and one sheet of seaweed 'paper'. Basically put the omelette on the seaweed, then add the smoked salmon and spinach then 'roll it up' and attempt to eat it without dropping too much. I'll put a little soya sauce on it also. Sometimes a meal might be 500 gms cottage cheese with some berries.

Scope75
01-13-2013, 12:36 PM
LOL!!
Love has everything to do with great tasting food.
I don't have kids or a wife but I've took things to my parents and they like everything I cook/bake.
Seasonings are your friends when cooking and that's what I have a pretty good grasp on.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and all my ex GFs love my cooking.