PDA

View Full Version : Dangers of "nuking" your food

Coolazice
01-13-2013, 06:00 AM
I'm not sure how accurate and truthful this article is, but there are some alarming statements made.

Why We Should All Get Rid of Our Microwave Ovens (http://www.naturalnews.com/023103_microwave_food_microwaved.html)

Cobalt
01-13-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm going to go ahead and say that the author is so far out in left field, she's sitting in the bleachers... maybe even the parking lot.

A lot of the claims COULD be true, but the wording is such that it could be true in a specific situation. Saying that microwaves cause cancer is true, but only if it is an uncontrolled wave of radiation, and not a microwave OVEN. You have to be specific.

There are also no sources or citations, so I find it really hard to believe most of the article.

milehighguy
01-13-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm going to go ahead and say that the author is so far out in left field, she's sitting in the bleachers... maybe even the parking lot.

A lot of the claims COULD be true, but the wording is such that it could be true in a specific situation. Saying that microwaves cause cancer is true, but only if it is an uncontrolled wave of radiation, and not a microwave OVEN. You have to be specific.

There are also no sources or citations, so I find it really hard to believe most of the article.

I didn't see any valid references either. What about the blood tests came back different? That was the first thing I was thinking.

I have heard this claim before but I have it right up there with cell phone induced cancer until they prove it to be true.

BBG
01-13-2013, 09:54 PM
I use a microwave as infrequently as possible

pman42
01-13-2013, 10:16 PM
Natural News is highly hit and miss. often the authors have no credentials and have invested no serious study in their area of 'expertise'. It becomes nothing more than a conglomeration of poor-quality articles, with a few good ones tossed in for good measure. the site's creator, mike adams, sets the tone with his conspiratorial ramblings, absolute lack of acceptance of ANY pharmaceutical, poorly-documented and inflammatory accusations, and general douchebaggery. many in the natural health field are distancing themselves from Adams as he goes further and further out to left field.

all that being said, it is really hard to find credible information on micros. one of my nutrition profs said they they may change the racemic orientation of aminos from L to D. i don't know what effect this would have on human physiology, as many aminos are found only in L form in nature.

- - - Updated - - -

few caveats:

never microwave in plastic.

never use microwave popcorn. google 'zonyl'

milehighguy
01-13-2013, 11:15 PM
- - - Updated - - -

few caveats:

never microwave in plastic.

never use microwave popcorn. google 'zonyl'

I do agree with both of these points.

I use a microwave as infrequently as possible

I too try to use it infrequently. Every once in a while I might warm something up but do try to avoid it when possible. Plus, I think it ruins food most of the time unless you get the timing just right.

Grape Ape
01-14-2013, 01:16 AM
Fuck cooking a potato in the oven. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Scope75
01-14-2013, 09:48 AM
I warm food up in a microwave but I never cook anything other than steamed veggies.
Microwaves screw up everything from texture to flavor so I try and use them as little as possible.