PDA

View Full Version : For all the fish oil fans

DJM
01-24-2013, 03:07 PM
http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/6491/p/salsa/web/press_release/public/?press_release_KEY=36

nate3993
01-24-2013, 03:13 PM
oh fuk. solgar is the brand i use. well, out with the fish oil.

but they don't name the solgar fish oil i use. hmmmmm

DJM
01-24-2013, 03:19 PM
i like ascenta

nate3993
01-24-2013, 03:21 PM
what are your thoughts? i know i made sure the solgar i buy is the 2 fish with the least amount of mercury. i just take 2 caps a day though.

Coolazice
01-24-2013, 03:23 PM
http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/6491/p/salsa/web/press_release/public/?press_release_KEY=36

With this news being nearly 3 years old, I wonder if anything has changed (for better or worse) since then?

nate3993
01-24-2013, 03:36 PM
didn't even know that it was 3 years old. thought this was new. good pointing that out.

DJM
01-24-2013, 03:39 PM
With this news being nearly 3 years old, I wonder if anything has changed (for better or worse) since then?

doubt it......just look at the price disparity among products....iv seen fish oil for $50 and as low as $5......all about quality, as with any products......i just saw in a mag pics inside chinese shops and their handling of powders, pretty fucked, unsanitary, ect.......so next time you go for the bargain, think first

burlyman30
01-24-2013, 03:46 PM
doubt it......just look at the price disparity among products....iv seen fish oil for $50 and as low as $5......all about quality, as with any products......i just saw in a mag pics inside chinese shops and their handling of powders, pretty fucked, unsanitary, ect.......so next time you go for the bargain, think first

One more reason for me to stick with flaxseed oil. I know it doesn't have the dha/epa in it like fish oil... but you KNOW it doesn't have mercury in it.

Avl
01-24-2013, 03:48 PM
not to hype a product, but the only fish oil i liked/ trusted was Flameout- really good ratio as well..

Coolazice
01-24-2013, 03:49 PM

I've seen the difference in pricing... it is ridiculous! And, you are right about "bargain shopping" for something like that. You just never know who you can trust for safe and effective fish oil products. You would think that between the lawsuits and bad publicity, that any reputable company, that wished to stay in business, would change sources or use better testing methods though.

Avl
01-24-2013, 04:00 PM
i just looked at that list..my dad takes a ton of CVS fish oil..damn.

Scope75
01-24-2013, 04:04 PM
After reading this ill be ditching fish oil as soon as I finish up what I have.
I eat plenty of fatty fish so I should be gtg.

Avl
01-24-2013, 04:09 PM
didnt john meadows mention someplace- maybe that podcast posted here- that he heard from someone in that industry that the vast majority of fish oil being sold was rancid anyway?

Scope75
01-24-2013, 04:11 PM
didnt john meadows mention someplace- maybe that podcast posted here- that he heard from someone in that industry that the vast majority of fish oil being sold was rancid anyway?
Yeah that was posted here and BBG asked about flameout being rancid and he couldn't say if it was or wasn't. He just hoped it was good.

DJM
01-24-2013, 04:17 PM

heard that when he was online with leanbulk, i have always used fish oil, it does alot of good, but its one of the supps i gotta spend more on, going cheap wasnt a good idea when i became aware of this rancid stuff a while ago, him saying that just reiterated for me things havent changed

again, freshness, antioxident, quality of the fish (salmon/sardines), liquid ect is what i look for......also with liquid if its gone shitty you'll know as soon as you open it, with gels who fkn knows

longBallLima
01-24-2013, 04:33 PM
shit, im taking sams club fish oil, if brands are bad quality, you know that is crap.

time to re-evaluate.

Scope75
01-24-2013, 04:35 PM
heard that when he was online with leanbulk, i have always used fish oil, it does alot of good, but its one of the supps i gotta spend more on, going cheap wasnt a good idea when i became aware of this rancid stuff a while ago, him saying that just reiterated for me things havent changed

again, freshness, antioxident, quality of the fish (salmon/sardines), liquid ect is what i look for......also with liquid if its gone shitty you'll know as soon as you open it, with gels who fkn knows
Forgot about the liquid...
That might be the route I take because of all the fish oil benefits.

Rulk
01-24-2013, 06:08 PM
I wonder about Krill oil..

Yeah I think I am going to just start eating fish more often and not bother with the supplement anymore.

O_RYAN_007
01-24-2013, 09:23 PM
I take PN's fish oil... I would like to hear a bit more about how there's compares to everyone else's stuff. Mike??

pman42
01-24-2013, 09:35 PM
The problem with these fish oil scares is that they don't compare it to anything. PCBs are going to be soluble in the oil, but the mercury is mostly not. overall the toxicity would be less than eating fish. there's always these "heavy metals in ___" scares but if you pull up the hard numbers you see that FOOD, overall, contributes more toxicity than supplements.

guys, if you're using a molecularly-distilled oil, this doesn't apply to it anyway.

O_RYAN_007
01-24-2013, 09:39 PM
The problem with these fish oil scares is that they don't compare it to anything. PCBs are going to be soluble in the oil, but the mercury is mostly not. overall the toxicity would be less than eating fish. there's always these "heavy metals in ___" scares but if you pull up the hard numbers you see that FOOD, overall, contributes more toxicity than supplements.

guys, if you're using a molecularly-distilled oil, this doesn't apply to it anyway.

Really?

pman42
01-24-2013, 10:37 PM
really on which part??

i just quickly pulled up some data and some lake fish can have as high as 10,000 ng per gram of fish. so yeah, that is more than the highest brand tested at a little less than 900 ng per daily exposure (you eat multiple ounces of fish, not grams). it looks like a lot of shellfish is in the 50-200 ng/g range, looks like even wild salmon ranges btween 3.9 and 8.1 ng/g wet weight so one could easily take in the amount in the oil. where are the class action lawsuits around those sources?

it looks like the highest one at 900ng is nothing to sneeze at but nothing to get super worried about. just use a molecularly distilled oil and you're good anyway.

somm
01-25-2013, 12:27 PM
ProSource.net
(http://www.prosource.net/site/search/search.aspx?refine=y&Type=Product&keywords=omega) 1250

- - - Updated - - -

ProSource.net
(http://www.prosource.net/site/search/search.aspx?refine=y&Type=Product&keywords=omega) 1250

This is the fish oil I use and its molecularly distilled. And at a good price.

markam
01-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Universal Animal Omega is also molecularly distilled. Not so sure about the three packs of Olimp fish oil I bought last week, though:(

somm
01-25-2013, 01:23 PM
My wife puts Cod liver oil in my daughters baby formula. Its by a company called Nordic Naturals. EPA-410mg, DHA-600mg, Omega-3 225mg Omega-9 600mg. Its got a great taste, strawberry flavor. They say its 3rd party tested for environmental toxins, including heavy metals, dioxins, and PCBs. They say on the label that certificates of Analysis are available upon request. But for sixteen ounces at Super Suplements its like 40 bucks if I remember right.

Infamy
01-25-2013, 02:03 PM
If it really concerns you then go for a company that uses supercritical CO2 extraction of the fish oil. It prevents rancidity and doesnt concentrate the PCBs like most high pressure and heat methods.

This company sells it but be warned it's going to be way more expensive than Walmart!

Minami Nutrition Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplements (http://www.minami-nutrition.co.uk/website/index.php)

nate3993
01-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Cod liver has some of the highest mercury contents in it. So does shark, and salmon. Mackerel, anchovy, and sardine actually have the least amounts. At least that's what I read. Which is weird because I had also read the smaller the fish, the more mercury. So idk. Someone more educated on the matter feel free to chime in.

Infamy
01-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Cod liver has some of the highest mercury contents in it. So does shark, and salmon. Mackerel, anchovy, and sardine actually have the least amounts. At least that's what I read. Which is weird because I had also read the smaller the fish, the more mercury. So idk. Someone more educated on the matter feel free to chime in.

The higher up the food chain, the greater the possibility of high heavy metal levels and pcbs. This is called biological concentration or bio accumulation and is a result of the "bigger" fish eat the smaller fish which are contaminated. The bigger fish are than eaten by bigger fish and so on up the food chain increasing concentrations of toxins each time.

Certain organs are high in toxin levels such as liver as it is responsible for metabolising them so they usually aren't a good idea to eat unless they have been tested properly that the toxin levels are safe.

If you combine the two and eat, say a sharks liver you can expect a high level heavy metals and toxins.

somm
01-25-2013, 02:58 PM
The higher up the food chain, the greater the possibility of high heavy metal levels and pcbs. This is called biological concentration or bio accumulation and is a result of the "bigger" fish eat the smaller fish which are contaminated. The bigger fish are than eaten by bigger fish and so on up the food chain increasing concentrations of toxins each time.

Certain organs are high in toxin levels such as liver as it is responsible for metabolising them so they usually aren't a good idea to eat unless they have been tested properly that the toxin levels are safe.

If you combine the two and eat, say a sharks liver you can expect a high level heavy metals and toxins.

Dang....I better ask Nordic for those certificates of analysis!

milehighguy
01-25-2013, 02:59 PM

I totally agree on liquid versus gels...

Forgot about the liquid...
That might be the route I take because of all the fish oil benefits.

I have been using Carlson Labs Fish Oil in liquid form for some time now. Says contaminant free but who knows for sure.

Eden
01-25-2013, 11:04 PM
-California Standards-

I stopped worrying at that point, California thinks electrical tape is a carcinogen. I'm not saying there isn't any merit to the article, but California is pretty alarmist and crazy about some of their standards.