PDA

View Full Version : Why are we so small and fat?

h2s
01-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Figure the title would get your attention. I am going to be running around alot today, but I came up with a pretty thought provoking question, and I am curious how some of you respond.

Why are we so fat and why are we so small?
Now obviously, I don't meant this literally, I assume most of us here are fairly big, and fairly lean. I am not huge by any means, but my size is quite apparent to most. I also can see my abs, although I wouldn't call them "cut."

My real question of course is this: What is it about this sport that leaves us constantly unsatisfied? For every year I have been apart of the "game," I could always go back 1 year, ask my prior self what my final goals were, where is the point where I would be satisfied?, and I can almost assure you they are generally in line with the progress I have made. However ask my current self that, it is some variant of bigger/leaner than I am now. Always pushing forward. I am not saying this is a bad thing, but I know I cant be the only one who is constantly thinking "damn, I am looking small today" (when you know it is not the case) or "Shit, I am bloating up and gaining way too much fat" (when it certainly is not the case either.) There is just something about this sport that makes me (and I assume others), just constantly judge oneself critically in terms of progress.

So how do you feel about this position. Do you feel it works to your advantage or disadvantage?

I will quickly answer: Advantage. Although my girlfriend calls me crazy when I notice "fat" she claims isnt there, or "I need to up cals, im losing muscle", I do think my lack of satisfaction keeps pushing me to better and better. I have joked with a friend before, who was talking about how much I eat. I said "Have you ever met a woman who was super skinny, but afraid to eat anything but a salad because she thought she was fat? Yeah, its kinda like that, except the opposite," lol.

Might be an odd question to some, but I think it is a good question for discussion, and better than politics, anyway, lol.

DJM
01-26-2013, 01:04 PM
lack of satisfaction keeps pushing me to better and better

^^^my answer, and generally what separates people in all walks of life, drive to have more or better one's situation, be it physical, monetary, spiritual, ect......and the others who are complacent and content

Scope75
01-26-2013, 01:15 PM
^^^my answer, and generally what separates people in all walks of life, drive to have more or better one's situation, be it physical, monetary, spiritual, ect......and the others who are complacent and content
Excatly why I do it too.
No matter how in shape and conditioned you are you can always better yourself in someway.

burlyman30
01-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Body dysmorphia is very common in bbing. And we can get immediate feedback from scales and mirrors. This feeds right into the obsessive behavior. Obviously there are degrees of this dysfunction, and the mildest form is considered nothing more than being self absorbed and a little obsessed with one's training and nutrition.

Certainly, a drive for self improvement is a factor. And sometimes, if the goals are radical enough, it necessitates the full on obsession in order to reach said goals. But the desire to reach continued improvement is not bad, in and of itself. In fact, in fulfills something in us that is common among the human race. We all crave a sense of purpose. Some will strive to heal the sick, some will set goals on Wall Street, and then some... want a little more size on the left tricep. Lol.

Sorrow
01-26-2013, 01:44 PM
I think you're in for some good replies.
Looking back I didn't get the bug till I started getting some help from a bodybuilder friend of mine way back in the day. I was mostly going to the gym just to add some "size" while I trained for my military pt tests. And of course I grew up with Arnold, the rockies, Rambo's and every other larger then life actor coupled with my dad and me watching pro wrestling growing up. To me those guys were the definition. Larger then life and strong as hell! Of course the more time I spent around bodybuilders the more I started to understand HOW people got to be larger then life. Kind of my own "bigger, faster, stronger" moment. Realistically what kept me from going full on competitive bodybuilder was that I don't like that judges can arbitrarily decide who has the best physic, there has always been this notion in my head that they don't really quantify with any kind of actually measurements or anything. Mind you I do have respect for judging as thats hard to really pick one person over another in that situation, but still was never something I liked.

Of course after years of following basic body building routines I eventually stumbled into powerlifting. While I would say that sometime judging on squats can be less strict then I like for the most part its who moves the most weight, in a certain class, that wins. And I like that. Also I was starting to loose some focus in the gym, but being able to focus on improving my lifts, and refine my technique keeps me focused.

Even so I still find myself eyeing the next weight class up, or looking in the mirror thinking which muscles may be lagging, or just flat out wishing I was stronger. I say that fixation is a good thing though. That drive and passion pushes us to try and be more then what we were. Be it those 10lbs on a max attempt, or 10lbs of lean mass your working to build, then reveal to the world.. the passion makes us better.

Rulk
01-26-2013, 01:50 PM
We are approval junkies.

Cobalt
01-26-2013, 02:20 PM
Body dysmorphia

For me, this hits the nail on the head. I look at photos that people have taken of me and I think, "Damn I have a big back." Yet, when I look in the mirror, it isn't there. Lats don't exist, traps are flat, deltoids are gone.
Then, in the miracle that I do happen to realize that I do have some muscle, as soon as I see one person at the gym that might be as big as me/bigger than I am, I feel like a twig again.

It's good and bad. Good, because it pushes me harder to gain for mass - which I want. Bad, because I'm afraid I may not know when it becomes too much.

I keep going because I was the fat, unattractive kid in my younger years. I have a photo my myself standing next to my final project one year in college. All I can remember is how huge my waist line was. I also have a photo of myself and the wife at the beach. That was the killer - when your gut starts to go over your pants, its too far.

xxiv
01-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Body dysmorphia

x2.

dysmorphia, reverse anorexia, social approval, an inferiority complex. That's why I lift.

That and I need to protect my family from starvation, who is going to open the pickle jars if I don't have a 6 pack?

h2s
01-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Excellent replies so far. I should have added to my reasoning that I am also a bit crazy into always trying to look good. Always want to wear the nice clothes, look well groomed, etc...the bodybuilding just fell right in place with that. Our appearance is like 90% of our impressions.

burlyman30
01-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Excellent replies so far. I should have added to my reasoning that I am also a bit crazy into always trying to look good. Always want to wear the nice clothes, look well groomed, etc...the bodybuilding just fell right in place with that. Our appearance is like 90% of our impressions.

Interesting... I'm probably in the minority in the precious little I care about what people think of me. I shave ... sometimes. I wear ratty clothes. I don't pay attention to styles. But get me in front of a mirror and the perfectionist and artistic side comes out. I care what I think and strive to please that part of me.

Rulk
01-26-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm pretty much with what Sorrow said. Body image is the dominant factor in my quest. I'm starting to put more emphasis now on performance and longevity.

O_RYAN_007
01-26-2013, 03:14 PM
So how do you feel about this position. Do you feel it works to your advantage or disadvantage?

I feel its an advantage, but its also a craze. I always feel that there are many different ways to be better, get stronger, and build more muscle. I seem to always seek better and stronger body. My wife also thinks I'm crazy, but she's starting to hit the gym more and she's seeing results. I think once you start your body transformation, it becomes and addition (it is for me at least). But this is also becoming more evident in my wife. She gets upset at herself if she doesn't hit the gym, or if she doesn't have enough time to get there. I got asked the question the other day, "when will you be satisfied with your physic?" I truthfully said, "Never." I'm def happy where I'm at now, but I feel I can do much more. When most of my co-workers go out to drink on Thursday nights, they always invite me... But I remind them where I'm going and they sigh. I used to be a pretty big party animal, but ever since I got into this game, thats changed! I still drink a couple beers or a glass of wine every now and then (just because I can't smoke pot for my job) but nothing like I used to. I love the body transformation aspect of this game, and being able to seek to always be Strong(er). Our "game" can be looked at like the game of Amateur Golf... These golfers always seek ways to lower their overall shot number... They'll do this by practicing, buying the new latest and greatest gear, and even get trainers to help them work on their problem areas. Some might ask, why do you do it, you'll never play pro... Well its a passion for some people, and regardless if they go pro or not, they just want to be the best they can be. Sound like any of you?

xxiv
01-26-2013, 03:16 PM
respect.

Sorrow
01-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Interesting... I'm probably in the minority in the precious little I care about what people think of me. I shave ... sometimes. I wear ratty clothes. I don't pay attention to styles. But get me in front of a mirror and the perfectionist and artistic side comes out. I care what I think and strive to please that part of me.

I'm the same. Notice the beard ;) I'm not that into fashion. But I'll sit and nit pick all my lifts, spend hours analyzing my training diet records, and yeah the occasional trip to the mirror to see if I'm slipping a little too much.

Rodja
01-26-2013, 06:11 PM
The main thing I've noticed is the lack of clear definitions and goal setting. 210lbs looks different from person to person depending upon age, limb length, height, BF%, etc. and skews perception. When you think about it, this starts with the ambiguity of judging of BB'ing as opposed to something quantitative.

This is why I prefer PL'ing. Tangible and measurable goals that can easily be tracked. Granted, the strength numbers are just as addictive, yet in a different fashion compared to BB'ing. Someone's opinion of how you look will vary, but the ability to lift 600lbs is something that you can't deny.

milehighguy
01-26-2013, 06:19 PM
For me lifting and going to the gym comes easy. The one thing I always look forward to each and every week. As you start to see the changes in the mirror it only becomes more addictive. You want to continue to get stronger and leaner.

Plus, most people are way unhealthy and/or fat. That just seems like the easy way out to me.

pman42
01-26-2013, 06:34 PM
I bet if you showed a picture of me now, 240lbs and not fat, to my former fat self in middle school, or to the 180lb weakling that I turned into in high school after taking up long-distance cardio, he (I) would have given his left nut to look like I do. I have exceeded the goals I had in mind when I started weight training, for sure. but for me today... it's not enough. I want more size, more definition. part of it is probably something psychologically unbalanced in me, most of us on the board maybe. or maybe we're the sane ones and everyone else who doesn't strive to be more is crazy. part of it is the pure love of the iron. i love being in the gym, going through a routine. even on my shittiest day with a workout I didn't think measured up, I definitely feel BETTER afterward. training keeps me sane. it keeps me balanced, and it gives my life focus and direction to have short- and long-term goals. my training state is the best barometer i have found of my mood, and it is probably the single greatest contributor to a positive mood in my life. i love this game, and i know i'll be in it for life

Eden
01-26-2013, 06:37 PM
I think that it's a good thing, you don't question when at a job you always strive for more, it's a positive quality. When I started lifting it was just because I didn't want to be weak, and due to a life crisis I had a lot of anger that needed an outlet. I had spent a lot of time wasting my anger on things that were destructive, and so I decided to put it into something that was positive and would give me something to be happy about later.

I also think body dysmorphia is also partially to blame, but I dunno we don't call people who are hard working ill, they are just hard workers. I think that some of us just have more determination, and will power than others, and sometimes we become so far outside their norm that they come up with illnesses to label others with. Not to say that people don't have body dismorphia I just think that there isn't anything wrong with wanting to be bigger, or whatever, when it becomes obsessive, or interferes with normal life then maybe.

ctAL
01-26-2013, 09:27 PM
simplyshredded has made it even worse for me.................

its a lifestyle and it works to my advantage...........keep striving

Sperwer
01-27-2013, 03:26 AM
See my signature.

At my age especially, it's like being a shark, if you are not moving forward you are (feeling yourself) dying.

Hmm. That was not intended to be as morbid as it sounds, but it is what it is. :rolleyes:

jpk
02-04-2013, 05:10 PM
I woke up one January morning six years ago weighing 20 lbs more than my HS graduation weight, 120 lbs. Being 140 lbs as an alpha male mentality sucks green donkey dick. Honestly, it was relatively easy to get bigger and stronger once I figured a few things out. Bottom line, people treat me way better at a solid looking 220 lbs. I'll never go back.

longBallLima
02-04-2013, 06:01 PM

funny, im sort of the same. absolutely obsessed and sometimes delusional about how i look when it comes to my body, but cant give a shit about anything else.

i shave my head so i dont have to deal with hair, dress like a fucking homeless person and choose jobs based on my ability to wear jeans and a t-shirt.

prepping for competition, im more convinced that this is a form of eating disorder lol

longBallLima
02-04-2013, 06:05 PM
ok, quick poll: who here was
A. Picked on/bullied in school
B. is short. (5'10 is american male avg, it seems)
C. had a hard time with women (or men if that's you)

DJM
02-04-2013, 06:08 PM
1-no (i carried a gun to school)
2-yes 5'8
3-no

burlyman30
02-04-2013, 07:03 PM

A. Got called names like shorty, but not bullied much, except a couple incidents that were not repeated.
B. Yep. 5'6".
C. Hard time because I was shy and focused on other things, not because I was short, puny or ugly. Lol

xxiv
02-04-2013, 07:12 PM

A, never picked on, was is a few fights but nothing major. Some I was on the offensive and a few the defensive.
B, Average. 5'10+ barefoot. Most people think I'm 6 foot because I have good posture.
C, I had no problem attracting women (or fellers for that matter) but had very little interest in physical relationships untill I was in my late teens/early 20s.

Rulk
02-04-2013, 07:32 PM

A. Yes, but not severly. I think a lot of us got teased throughout school. Sometimes I was the teaser too, or bully.
B. I'm 5'10, but being so round made me look short.
C. I had the biggest crush on a girl named Allyson in highschool. Not good with the women back then, nor today :P. I'm blessed to have such an awesome wife ( thank you Jesus ).

I just cut off more than a foot of my hair off. Still have a ponytail, pulled back, but i'm thinning now and i'm going to start going really short. I'm sure i'll look tougher when I do ( whoopty doo ).

Rodja
02-04-2013, 08:39 PM

A. Only in grade school and only until I threw a punch. I was a late-bloomer and usually the shortest one in the class.
B. 5'10"
C. Somewhat. Didn't gain full confidence until I started MMA and then things changed.

O_RYAN_007
02-04-2013, 08:45 PM

A.) I was the nerd and the cool kid who got all the chicks. I taught all the jocks and chicks the easy way through chemistry, Cal, algebra, biology, you name it.
B.) 5'8 130# in hs.
C.) I never had a hard time with chicks. I had all the coke, weed, and booze... Plus I was smart as hell, so I used that to my advantage... Study dates every other night at my house with different ladies throughout the week.

nate3993
02-04-2013, 08:56 PM
A.) I was the nerd and the cool kid who got all the chicks. I taught all the jocks and chicks the easy way through chemistry, Cal, algebra, biology, you name it.
B.) 5'8 130# in hs.
C.) I never had a hard time with chicks. I had all the coke, weed, and booze... Plus I was smart as hell, so I used that to my advantage... Study dates every other night at my house with different ladies throughout the week.
please! dont be so modest. lol

O_RYAN_007
02-04-2013, 08:56 PM
please! dont be so modest. lol

:)

I'm just giving you the truth Nate,

Sperwer
02-04-2013, 09:01 PM

I was much bigger than average, both height and weight-wise - designated to play tight-end or fullback as early as Pop Warner - but very mild-mannered and shy around girls. The apparent inconsistency between my size and demeanor, though, meant that, if not bullied, I was always singled out by the guys who for one reason or another were looking to prove something, so i ended up in a lot of fights. The problem was though slow to anger I was a berserker once the anger took hold; e.g., when some relatively little guy threw a basketball in my face from about 3 feet away when I wasn't looking while trash-talking my family, I got him by the ears and banged his head on the curb until it cracked open.

h2s
02-04-2013, 09:35 PM
1. No, was always somewhat friendly with everyone, and most the same to me. Was fairly well known in school.

2. 6 feet tall.

3. No. I always had the attention, used to be a bit shy to it though. Now I think I am gods gift (kidding) but I have a gf, so no need lol.

milehighguy
02-04-2013, 10:06 PM

A. No
B. Average at 5'10"
C. Not really but was terrible at the bar scene hook up

Eden
02-04-2013, 10:15 PM
A. yea, quite a lot I was homeschooled till age 12 so I didn't get social interactions very well, that and my name is easily made fun of, and I have protruding ears due to being born pre-mature.

B. I'm 5'6" so I guess I'm short, but that doesn't bother me at all.

C. I actually got along amazingly with girls, and most of them thought I was effing great, 90% of the people I talked to when I started school were female, and even into high-school over 60% of my friends were female.

longBallLima
02-04-2013, 11:20 PM
I definitely fall into A, where I was picked on. I was tall, skinny and clumsy for my age, got into a lot of fights, where I'd kick the other kids ass and get picked on for it. There were regrettable times that I bullied kids in school, probably because of my insecurities growing up. Much like rodja, martial arts turned it around for me. I can't make a conscious connection between wanting to be big and my growing up, but I can find a logic one and was curious because I observe that a lot of people into Bbing have insecurities relating to questions a, b or c but judging from the answers here my impressions may have been misled.

Today I'm sorta big, never get into fights and I'm nice to strangers to a fault lol

Tampa_Man
02-05-2013, 12:15 AM
Interesting..

burlyman30
02-05-2013, 12:42 AM
I observe that a lot of people into Bbing have insecurities relating to questions a, b or c but judging from the answers here my impressions may have been misled.

You weren't off base. If you went on BBing.com you'd probably find a lot more of those guys. But most of the guys here are pretty solid and have worked through the juvenile stuff.

It's very similar to the psych profiles of people in positions of authority. Some cops got picked on when young and needed a way to get the upper hand, choosing a career that would allow it. But many cops are balanced individuals who just want to protect and serve.

So you can see influential factors with both scenarios, but you cannot extrapolate that information and generalize that "all or most " choose certain activities or professions because of those reasons.

Bbing did help my confidence level immensely. I was 95 lbs when I started and had zero confidence. My confidence grew as I found that I could create my own destiny in the gym, which expanded into confidence in other parts of my life. Even when I left the gym for many years, the confidence I built inside of me stayed. Even when my body withered.

longBallLima
02-05-2013, 12:43 PM
You weren't off base. If you went on BBing.com you'd probably find a lot more of those guys. But most of the guys here are pretty solid and have worked through the juvenile stuff.

It's very similar to the psych profiles of people in positions of authority. Some cops got picked on when young and needed a way to get the upper hand, choosing a career that would allow it. But many cops are balanced individuals who just want to protect and serve.

So you can see influential factors with both scenarios, but you cannot extrapolate that information and generalize that "all or most " choose certain activities or professions because of those reasons.

Bbing did help my confidence level immensely. I was 95 lbs when I started and had zero confidence. My confidence grew as I found that I could create my own destiny in the gym, which expanded into confidence in other parts of my life. Even when I left the gym for many years, the confidence I built inside of me stayed. Even when my body withered.

oh yah, agreed on cops. and i would say most i know worked through their issues too. i just wanted to see how much of it coincided with those issues and with the sample i had, thought it'd have more of a relationship that it apparently does :)

and yes, both martial arts and gettin a lil bigger did wonders for my confidence. I was just thinking the other day, my first fight was at something like 145! crazy!

ryansm
02-07-2013, 03:44 PM

^^^I liken this to my issue and that's perfectionism, although the older I get the more I realize my limits. I'm not sure how many people on here have truly peaked in their genetic abilities, I have come damn close and at this point in my life I no longer chase it. For me it was never about anyone else it was about how far I could go and whatever I achieved was never enough (it was borderline insanity at times). Now its about still being a respectable lifter but realizing my efforts are better spent through balancing all areas of my life not just physically. The beauty of it is I have the ability now to teach others which in its own right is quite fulfilling.

DJM
06-17-2013, 12:05 PM
It's very clear for us that one of the best reason why we are small and fat coz we are lack of exercise and i don't want to be like that so I decided to learn Philippine martial arts, what do you think?

i think you are a retard..........explain the difference between philippino martial arts and i dunno somalian martial arts?

Edit: hyperlink removed. ;)

LBC-83
06-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Obvious Spammer is Obvious.

DJM
06-17-2013, 12:51 PM
pics or hes a fat fkn slob and philippino martial arts doesnt work

Bucks
06-17-2013, 06:51 PM

Careful DJ he knows Karate and a few other words.

Sperwer
06-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Careful DJ he knows Karate and a few other words.

He "knows karate and voodoo, too"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fat Bill Dwyer
06-18-2013, 05:44 AM

Yeah but philippino Marital arts are f'in fantastic!