PDA

View Full Version : Meal Timing: New Study Says Earlier Better

Sperwer
01-31-2013, 12:24 AM
Could the timing of when you eat, be just as important as what you eat? (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130129080620.htm?utm_********feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_**********Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Fhealth_medici ne%2Fdiet_and_weight_loss+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Healt h+%26+Medicine+News+--+Diet+and+Weight+Loss%29)

markam
01-31-2013, 04:30 AM
Could the timing of when you eat, be just as important as what you eat? (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130129080620.htm?utm_********feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_**********Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Fhealth_medici ne%2Fdiet_and_weight_loss+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Healt h+%26+Medicine+News+--+Diet+and+Weight+Loss%29)

Recently I haven't been eating after 7pm and although I've eaten a shedload of carbs, in fact a shedload of everything, I haven't gained weight. Because of not eating later I'm eating more in the morning, anyway, it works for me.

Sperwer
01-31-2013, 04:44 AM
Recently I haven't been eating after 7pm and although I've eaten a shedload of carbs, in fact a shedload of everything, I haven't gained weight. Because of not eating later I'm eating more in the morning, anyway, it works for me.

Good to hear.

I'm racheting up my contest prep starting tomorrow. My biggest challenge is going to be losing at least 20 lbs of fat in 15 weeks in order to get down to at least 8%BF, so I will be shifting my major real food meal from 6:30 to 1:30 in the hopes that helps a bit

markam
01-31-2013, 04:54 AM
Good to hear.

I'm racheting up my contest prep starting tomorrow. My biggest challenge is going to be losing at least 20 lbs of fat in 15 weeks in order to get down to at least 8%BF, so I will be shifting my major real food meal from 6:30 to 1:30 in the hopes that helps a bit

Good luck for the contest.

I usually wake up in the night and although I don't feel particularly hunger, I find that I will get back to sleep and sleep longer if I have something. 3-5g Coconut oil or MCT oil works well for me. As I'm essentially fasting for 15-16hrs, I don't want to properly break the fast in the middle of the night, but MCT's are practically impossible to store as fat, and I'm not going to worry about such a small amount.

Sperwer
01-31-2013, 05:23 AM
Good luck for the contest.

I usually wake up in the night and although I don't feel particularly hunger, I find that I will get back to sleep and sleep longer if I have something. 3-5g Coconut oil or MCT oil works well for me. As I'm essentially fasting for 15-16hrs, I don't want to properly break the fast in the middle of the night, but MCT's are practically impossible to store as fat, and I'm not going to worry about such a small amount.

Thanks.

I get up every night too, but it's old man prostate pressing on my bladder.:(

I don't have hunger issues though, even though until now I've usually stopped eating by 7:30, except for a couple scoops of peptopro or hydrolyzed casein around 9 before sleep.

Then I usually don't eat until noon, although I get about 20 grams of carbs in my morning cuppa doc-prescribed pomegranate juice. I may have to move that until afternoon, though, to keep that fast going longer.

markam
01-31-2013, 06:38 AM
Thanks.

I get up every night too, but it's old man prostate pressing on my bladder.:(

I don't have hunger issues though, even though until now I've usually stopped eating by 7:30, except for a couple scoops of peptopro or hydrolyzed casein around 9 before sleep.

Then I usually don't eat until noon, although I get about 20 grams of carbs in my morning cuppa doc-prescribed pomegranate juice. I may have to move that until afternoon, though, to keep that fast going longer.

Saw palmetto helps me considerably with getting up to pee in the night. I ran out a month ago so I guess it's time to reorder.

Fast digesting protein before bed? Conventional wisdom says a slow digesting protein is best, but currently I'm just downing some Bcaas and DAA an hour before bed.

Sperwer
01-31-2013, 07:12 AM
I was under the impression that casein is, relatively-speaking, slow digesting. Or does hydrolyzation dramatically change that? I suppose i could go for cottage cheese or just a slug of cheese, but the former is really expensive here

saw palmetto didn't do much for me. Maybe i should stop drinking one of my 6 daily quarts of water in the evening. Duh?!

markam
01-31-2013, 11:43 AM
I was under the impression that casein is, relatively-speaking, slow digesting. Or does hydrolyzation dramatically change that? I suppose i could go for cottage cheese or just a slug of cheese, but the former is really expensive here

saw palmetto didn't do much for me. Maybe i should stop drinking one of my 6 daily quarts of water in the evening. Duh?!

Peptopro is hydrolyzed casein, which means that it's pre-digested. The only thing faster would be EAAs. Regular Casein is slow.

I found Saw Palmetto to be very effective but it needs a while to kick in, maybe a couple of weeks.

Hydin
03-07-2013, 12:24 AM
Of course the timing is an important factor, always try to eat on right time. No matter how hard you work out, if you don’t eat healthy diet on right time, you won’t see the results you expect.
Lakewood fitness (http://befittacomabootcamp.com/lakewood-fitness-tips-for-getting-a-toned-body/)

Fat Bill Dwyer
03-07-2013, 06:16 AM
Interested in your results.

Will you be changing the composition of your diet at all? Will you be fasting before your "real food meal"?

If you keep it all constant it would be a great experiment to feature on your log.

JM1000
04-09-2013, 05:59 AM
Same here, i've been eating about 40 g of carbs for breakfast and then all the rest about an hour postworkout plus a protein and carb shake after working out. rest of the meals are higher in fat and fibrous carbs. Been loosing alot of fat and retaining most of the muscle mass

Macdon1588
04-09-2013, 07:58 AM
I think in the long run, carbohydrates will be what needs to be timed. On workout days I suspect carbs on either side if a workout will be used by the body for energy and growth. I'm always conscious of when I consume my carbs. I think that, so far, I can get away with eating shed loads of them on workout days as long as I stay lower carb on none workout days.

olddawg
04-09-2013, 10:53 AM
last night in my sleep, I ate an entire can of icing you know for cakes, it means a lil more cardio today but is 3 am early enough? lol IMO these things are small potatoes for me, if I was 260 lean, competing, needed every edge I could get then I'd be concerned

Swolemizz
04-09-2013, 11:26 AM
I eat carbs all day long just good ones like brown rice and sweet taters fuck it :)

weekend
04-09-2013, 11:56 AM
last night in my sleep, I ate an entire can of icing you know for cakes, it means a lil more cardio today but is 3 am early enough? lol IMO these things are small potatoes for me, if I was 260 lean, competing, needed every edge I could get then I'd be concerned

lol srs??

O_RYAN_007
04-09-2013, 01:18 PM
I eat carbs all day long just good ones like brown rice and sweet taters fuck it :)

SAme here, but I do 20 mins of cardio at lunch, and lift after work. I might not eat carbs on an off day.

DJM
04-09-2013, 01:21 PM

i eat more
or i eat less
about the extent of my planning

olddawg
04-09-2013, 05:46 PM
lol srs??

yeah truth, i'm a cronic sleep eater, it's pretty funny some nights once the wife found me with a giant Tupperware bowl, the whole box of corn flakes in it, filled with orange juice, I was sittin on the couch with my legs crossed, it was on my lap and I was eatin them with a spoon lol

Fat Bill Dwyer
04-09-2013, 06:01 PM
yeah truth, i'm a cronic sleep eater, it's pretty funny some nights once the wife found me with a giant Tupperware bowl, the whole box of corn flakes in it, filled with orange juice, I was sittin on the couch with my legs crossed, it was on my lap and I was eatin them with a spoon lol

Sounds like you've been hanging out with Weekend and Scope...

Scope75
04-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Sounds like you've been hanging out with Weekend and Scope...
I'd of poured raw whole milk in the bag and no spoons are needed.
A shaker cup full of Fruity Pebbles and milk is a great Hi GI meal on the go.

olddawg
04-09-2013, 06:13 PM
don't plant that shit in my subconscious, i'll be eatin good tonight

Scope75
04-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Raw Milk and Cereal!!!!!

weekend
04-09-2013, 09:03 PM
haha i quit weed for the time being to see if it helps my gyno...!

Scope75
04-09-2013, 09:25 PM
haha i quit weed for the time being to see if it helps my gyno...!
WTF...
No Weed to rid gyno??