PDA

View Full Version : Is there a maximal anabolic response to protein intake with a meal?

josh
02-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Is there a maximal anabolic response to protein intake with a meal?

Abstract

Several recent publications indicate that the maximum stimulation of muscle protein fractional synthetic rate occurs with intake of 20-30 g protein. This finding has led to the concept that there is a maximal anabolic response to protein intake with a meal, and that the normal amount of protein eaten with dinner will generally exceed the maximally-effective intake of protein. However, protein breakdown has not been taken into account when evaluating the anabolic response to protein intake. Protein anabolism occurs only when protein synthesis exceeds protein breakdown. Higher protein intakes when protein synthesis is maximized is characterized by suppressed protein breakdown and via that mechanism leads to a greater anabolic response. This explains why when net protein synthesis is measured, the relationship between amino acid availability and net gain remains linear, without any apparent plateau of effect at higher levels of availability. We conclude that there is no practical upper limit to the anabolic response to protein or amino acid intake in the context of a meal.

PMID: 23260197

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2

saludable24
02-03-2013, 12:36 AM

Abstract

Several recent publications indicate that the maximum stimulation of muscle protein fractional synthetic rate occurs with intake of 20-30 g protein. This finding has led to the concept that there is a maximal anabolic response to protein intake with a meal, and that the normal amount of protein eaten with dinner will generally exceed the maximally-effective intake of protein. However, protein breakdown has not been taken into account when evaluating the anabolic response to protein intake. Protein anabolism occurs only when protein synthesis exceeds protein breakdown. Higher protein intakes when protein synthesis is maximized is characterized by suppressed protein breakdown and via that mechanism leads to a greater anabolic response. This explains why when net protein synthesis is measured, the relationship between amino acid availability and net gain remains linear, without any apparent plateau of effect at higher levels of availability. We conclude that there is no practical upper limit to the anabolic response to protein or amino acid intake in the context of a meal.

Cool info about protein. I sometimes wonder if I should use more protein post workout with a small/medium sized solid meal vs a single scoop of protein and a huge solid meal 30-45 later. I guess in the end it won't make a HUGE difference either way, but cool to have some more info about this.

Sperwer
02-03-2013, 05:09 AM

Abstract

It would be interesting to compare this study with those to which I referred in my earlier thread on the subject (and the others mentioned in them:

A couple of interesting articles on the subject, challenging the conventional bro-lore:

The Myth of 1g/lb: Optimal Protein Intake for Bodybuilders | Bayesian Bodybuilding (http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/)

‘How Much Protein’ by Brad Pilon Book Review | Bayesian Bodybuilding (http://mennohenselmans.com/how-much-protein-by-brad-pilon-book-review/)

NB to mods: given the centrality of the issue of protein, it also might be useful to combine this thread with the one I started earlier and, possibly, turn it into a sticky.