PDA

View Full Version : HCG questions (not BBing related)

pman42
02-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Greetings all. for school I am doing a project on the "HCG diet." my understanding was that a fellow named Simeon originally administered it and that it was very successful (at least according to him).

I have a few questions, and if you could answer them or point me to good sites, articles, etc, that would be GREAT.
o I know HCG is used to prevent testicular atrophy but is it conceivable that it "resets" the hypothalamus as he claimed?
o Anyone ever experienced weight loss while on HCG?
o Any reliable studies on HCG for weight loss? could not find any on pubmed

My take on the whole HCG diet as popularized by kevin trudeau is very negative. the guy's a huckster and a criminal who switched from one illegal activity to one protected by the US constitution (as he endlessly drones on about), giving out erroneous health information. and the "HCG drops" are so fake as to be laughable

any input you have would be greatly useful. thanks guys

pman42
02-02-2013, 11:21 PM
2 more questions: since large molecules like hormones cannot be administered orally, how is it that thyroid is available as an oral? is it altered in some way, as with methylated hormones?

would HCG in any way stave off the muscle wasting that accompanies the 500 calorie diet that is recommended while doing injections?

josh
02-02-2013, 11:45 PM
In the 70's Dr. Simeon put housewives on excessively restrictive diets (500 calories or so per day.) The result was the housewives lost weight (duh) but also as a side effect they were unhappy so Dr. Simeon put them on HCG in hopes of improving their mood.

The original study which was done in 1973 (Effect of human chorionic gonadotrophin on weight loss, hunger, and feeling of well-being (http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/26/2/211.long)) was never replicated. Instead the evidence we have says this strategy is bogus The effect of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) in the treatment of obesity by means of the Simeons therapy: a criteria-based meta-analysis. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1365103/)

So what we have is a 500 calorie a day diet does help with weight loss with or without HCG and that on its own HCG does nothing to help with weight loss directly. The only possible benefit from HCG is probably it MAY help keep hypothalamic weight regulation intact. Also the HCG you see on the shelves are homeopahic(re fake, worthless) so I wouldnt even bother with them

pman42
02-04-2013, 10:59 PM
bump. anyone had HCG weight loss?

burlyman30
02-15-2013, 08:32 AM
Total scam.

h2s
02-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Total scam.

^this.

weekend
02-26-2013, 01:52 AM
hmm, just ran hCG for 14 weeks with my test and gained 35 lbs? lost 10 of that after stopping hCG? hmmmmmm