PDA

View Full Version : I love ISO-Mass gainer!

Freepressright
02-07-2013, 10:28 AM
It's been said many times by members of this board: Food is the most anabolic substance on earth.

Many of us, and I'm guilty of this as well, have used PHs in the past as a crutch. We yo-yo up and down with our weight as we go on and off cycle. Perhaps during that time we could have been investing that money and time into our food intake and getting the same results, albeit perhaps slower, but in a more sustainable fashion.

On the topic of weight gainers, I've always been leery. A lot of them are slammed so full of sugar and are calories just for the sake of calories. But the major problem I have is that all calories are not created equally.

There's only one gainer I've ever turned to, and when I've used it, it has produced both measurable and sustainable results.

I'm talking about Ultimate Nutrition's ISO-Mass gainer.

No, I'm not a rep. No I'm not a paid spokesperson. I can barely afford the stuff because it's quite expensive. But the cost to benefit ratio on this stuff is incredible.

In a 10-pound container, you get 30 servings (3 scoops each). That's a much better deal than most of the gainers out there that are lucky to give you 11 days worth per container. It isn't sickeningly thick, and the chocolate milk flavor tastes like a melted Hershey's bar.

Made with two cups of milk, it's over 900 calories. I use whole milk, so I'm pushing close to 1,000 calories per shake.

I just bought two containers for $110 (I got a discount) and I'm drinking two shakes a day. That might sound pricey for one product, but when you consider what's in it and how many supplements in one that you get, it really is a helluva deal.

Let's look at the label:

Your proteins are covered

Iso Mass 72g †
Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate, Egg Protein Isolate, Micellar Alpha And Beta Caseins And Caseinates, Lactoferrin

Time-delivered carbo mass

Carbo Mass 60g †
5 DE Maltodextrin, Dextrose, Oat Fiber

7 types of creatine (7g total)

Creatine Monohydrate, Tricreatine Malate, Kre-Alkalyn®, Creatine Orotate, Creatine Alpha Ketoglutarate, Creatine Ethyl Ester, Creatine Pyruvate

6.5 grams of fatty acids (omega 3s, medium chain triglycerides and even CLA)

Enzyme Modified Sunflower Oil Powder, Medium Chain Triglyceride Powder, Borage Oil Powder (Seed), Flax Seed Oil Powder, Conjugated Linoleic Acid Powder (CLA), Canola Oil And Omega 3

3.22 grams of various vitamins:

Vitamin A Acetate, Cholecalciferol, D-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, Folate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cyanocobalamin, Biotin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Iodide, Potassium Chloride, Ferrous Fumarate, Magnesium Oxide, Copper Gluconate, Zinc Oxide, Chromium Nicotinate

Four kinds of glutamine (2.2 g total)

Glutapure® Glutamine, Glutamine Alpha Ketoglutarate, Glutamine Ethyl Ester, N-Acetyl L-Glutamine

N.O. Precursors

Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate, Arginine Ethyl Ester Di-HCL, Citrulline Ethyl Ester Malate, L-Norvaline

BCAAs

L-Valine, L-Valine Ethyl Ester, L-Leucine, L-Leucine Ethyl Ester, L-Isoleucine, L-Isoleucine Ethyl Ester
CP (Creatine Precursor) Mass 500mg †

Betaine, Glycocyamine

Digestive enzymes

Protease, Lactase

I'm drinking one shake for breakfast and my other post workout. I'm eating lunch and dinner as I normally do and some kind of long-acting protein before bed. I started a week and a half ago and I'm up 4.5 pounds and training four days a week.

For me, this is so much easier than preparing a shit ton of food and trying to eat every couple hours. It's a way for me to cram in about 2,000 extra calories in the right ratio and balance and make anabolic gains without a PH.

In fact, I wish I had back some of the money I've spent on PHs and have invested it in some of this stuff.

Oddly enough, the best deal going on this stuff, anywhere on the net, is GNC. That's the only product I've ever seen that is worth buying from them. It was BOGO 50% off last time I checked.

If you're looking for some quality extra calories to bulk up or you want to enhance PCT to hold onto gains, this stuff is well worth the money.

WARNING: Stay away from the vanilla and strawberry. The chocolate is safe. I've heard cookies n' creme is OK as well.

longBallLima
02-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the review! Im currently using Elite Mass by Dymatize, but this seems great!

Freepressright
02-07-2013, 11:14 AM
It should be noted that this is not my first time using it. I used it four years ago with good results. I really like the stuff.

Rodja
02-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Why not just buy a protein blend and a decent carb blend and mix them? Maltodextrin is such a crap carb source and is usually the primary carb source most gainers (such as this).

longBallLima
02-07-2013, 11:24 AM
at one point i was making my own gainer
Whey+Casein
Shredded Oats
Almond Meal/Flour
Flax Seed

forgot what else i had there lol

not gonna lie, totally see your point, bthe limited time, its nice to have just ready made product to reach for

guess its the one (or one of?) bit im lazy about lol

Freepressright
02-07-2013, 11:43 AM
I was making my own gainer previous to this and I simply don't have the time every day. Besides, when you consider you're also getting your creatine, essential fatty acids, beta-alanine and all sorts of other goodies, it's like having a dozen or more supplements in one, and the protein-to-carb ratio is correct.

Besides that, it produces results. It's rated 8.9 out of 10 on 225 reviews at Bodybuilding.com. Overall, that seems to be the norm at other retailers that sell it.

It's quick, it's easy and it works. To me, it's worth it.

Rodja
02-07-2013, 11:58 AM
I was making my own gainer previous to this and I simply don't have the time every day. Besides, when you consider you're also getting your creatine, essential fatty acids, beta-alanine and all sorts of other goodies, it's like having a dozen or more supplements in one, and the protein-to-carb ratio is correct.

Besides that, it produces results. It's rated 8.9 out of 10 on 225 reviews at Bodybuilding.com. Overall, that seems to be the norm at other retailers that sell it.

It's quick, it's easy and it works. To me, it's worth it.

BB.com ratings are about as valuable as used toilet paper.

longBallLima
02-07-2013, 12:00 PM

LOL

Freepressright
02-07-2013, 12:56 PM

Or those who find fault in nearly anything anyone else does

markam
02-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Reflex Instant Mass hasn't a bad profile (imo).

I didn't want anything with maltodextrin or the like in it. Basically the carb sources are organic barley and oats.
I don't use it often, probably once every two weeks, but it's useful when I'm rushed.

Rodja
02-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Or those who find fault in nearly anything anyone else does

Just saying that prepackaged gainers are more than likely going to be a crap product especially one that has a deceptive label.

Freepressright
02-07-2013, 01:16 PM
On most fronts, I'm inclined to agree with you. I've tried a few in the past and hated them. But not this one. It's a great product.

sandman
02-07-2013, 01:50 PM
225 reviews is a pretty big sample size to not give the review some weight, at 10 reviews i could see dismissing the review but not 225, thats just idiotic

Rodja
02-07-2013, 01:56 PM
225 reviews is a pretty big sample size to not give the review some weight, at 10 reviews i could see dismissing the review but not 225, thats just idiotic

It's idiotic to give any merit to BB.com. I put zero stock into the opinion of a teenager that has been lifting for 6 months.

sandman
02-07-2013, 02:09 PM
oh i wasn't aware all 225 reviews had everyones age listed as being teenagers

when did 14 and 15 years olds start being able to get credit cards to order supplements on-line?

Freepressright
02-07-2013, 02:16 PM
It's idiotic to give any merit to BB.com. I put zero stock into the opinion of a teenager that has been lifting for 6 months.

If that's what all 225 reviewers were or are, I'd be hard-pressed to disagree with you. We're also talking about a product that's beyond the price point for most 14 and 15 year old kids to afford.

And given that the number of good reviews at other retailers is similar, I'd say this is a good product.

Freepressright
02-07-2013, 02:21 PM
I just went through the first page of reviews and don't find a single teen-ager yet. Here are some of the BodySpace profiles of the reviewers on the first page:

Georjios's BodySpace - Bodybuilding.com (http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/Georjios/)
Kevin Mattson's BodySpace - Bodybuilding.com (http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/kevinmattson/) (hell, this guy's 45)
bemack's BodySpace - Bodybuilding.com (http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/bemack/)
tikwrestler808's BodySpace - Bodybuilding.com (http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/tikwrestler808/)
DocF's BodySpace - Bodybuilding.com (http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/DocF/)

For what it's worth

Rodja
02-07-2013, 02:21 PM
oh i wasn't aware all 225 reviews had everyones age listed as being teenagers

when did 14 and 15 years olds start being able to get credit cards to order supplements on-line?

I'm talking about the overall ethos of BB.com and plenty of kids can buy it locally and then post a review on BB.com.

If that's what all 225 reviewers were or are, I'd be hard-pressed to disagree with you. We're also talking about a product that's beyond the price point for most 14 and 15 year old kids to afford.

And given that the number of good reviews at other retailers is similar, I'd say this is a good product.

If you put that much stock into reviews, then that's even worse than the absurd MSRP of this product.

Freepressright
02-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Enough that I look at them in a cumulative fashion and actually assess the kinds of reviewers, what they're saying, what their level of training and knowledge is and also what they're body composition says about them.

I grabbed two tubs of this stuff at $55 apiece. If you revisit the ingredient label and consider the product's effectiveness, where does the absurdity lie, exactly?

Rational analysis isn't even a part of the equation here. You're just looking to find fault in something and bitching for the sake of bitching. Such is life.

Rodja
02-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Enough that I look at them in a cumulative fashion and actually assess the kinds of reviewers, what they're saying, what their level of training and knowledge is and also what they're body composition says about them.

I grabbed two tubs of this stuff at $55 apiece. If you revisit the ingredient label and consider the product's effectiveness, where does the absurdity lie, exactly?

Rational analysis isn't even a part of the equation here. You're just looking to find fault in something and bitching for the sake of bitching. Such is life.

$55 for something that is over 50% corn powder. The label is deceptive in that there is not an ingredient list and only a proprietary blend that doesn't add up. It lists a 60g carb blend, yet says 80g per serving. Where the fuck did the other 20g come from in each serving?

sandman
02-07-2013, 02:51 PM

bingo....reviews play an important factor when looking at new supplements, i don't care if your 14 years old or 60 years old, your taste buds can atleast help me decide if the flavor is good or not....a 14 year old may not know the ingredient panel that well but a huge sample size of reviews still have some merit when buying new supplements

nate3993
02-07-2013, 05:45 PM
i like serious mass by optimum. IMO, best weight gainer out there. 250 grams carbs, 1250 calories with 2 scoops, albeit very large scoops, and 50 grams protein. i just bought it ater not having used it for years.

Cobalt
02-07-2013, 05:58 PM
I've used the ISO-Mass before. Good stuff, but smelled like death.

weekend
02-07-2013, 06:47 PM
serious mass is good and goes down easy... trying anamass next week, lower calories/serving though

Freepressright
02-07-2013, 11:10 PM
$55 for something that is over 50% corn powder. The label is deceptive in that there is not an ingredient list and only a proprietary blend that doesn't add up. It lists a 60g carb blend, yet says 80g per serving. Where the fuck did the other 20g come from in each serving?

The milk

pitboss
02-08-2013, 12:23 AM
Big fan of BSN True Mass. Not the best stuff for you as far as the sugars but you kinda know that going into it.

Freepressright
02-08-2013, 07:06 AM
I've used the ISO-Mass before. Good stuff, but smelled like death.

Yeah, I consider myself lucky I'm not snorting it. Those omega-3s make it pretty stinky ;)

Rodja
02-08-2013, 08:53 AM
The milk

You're not looking at the label. Under the macros, it lists 80g for carbs, but only has a 60g "carb blend." Either that's extremely deceptive or they use some very low quality protein sources.

Freepressright
02-08-2013, 09:11 AM
I'll read the label on mine when I get home.

DJM
02-08-2013, 09:21 AM
You're not looking at the label. Under the macros, it lists 80g for carbs, but only has a 60g "carb blend." Either that's extremely deceptive or they use some very low quality protein sources.

victor martinez aint cheap

markam
02-08-2013, 09:21 AM
You're not looking at the label. Under the macros, it lists 80g for carbs, but only has a 60g "crap blend." Either that's extremely deceptive or they use some very low quality protein sources.

Fixed. Lol

DJM
02-08-2013, 09:25 AM
i always though pb or any nut butter with a banana and 2 scoops whey killed any retail mass gainer

i have no issues consuming food tho to keep cals in range

Rodja
02-08-2013, 10:02 AM
i always though pb or any nut butter with a banana and 2 scoops whey killed any retail mass gainer

i have no issues consuming food tho to keep cals in range

I've been on a pumpkin and honey kick for awhile. I add 1/2C pumpkin, 12oz coconut milk, 2 scoops protein, ~1 Tbsp honey, cinnamon/allspice, and some ice. I add in some nut butter on occasion depending on the where I'm at on macros for the day.

DJM
02-08-2013, 10:06 AM
honey or blue agave fkn adds to a shake!

Rodja
02-08-2013, 10:17 AM
honey or blue agave fkn adds to a shake!

It has the taste of pumpkin pie without the guilt. I hope to get something similar to a pumpkin cheesecake in the near future.

Freepressright
02-08-2013, 11:05 AM
I wrote Ultimate Nutrition to ask about the disparity between the "Carbo Mass 60g" and the overall carbs being 80g without the milk. This is what they wrote back:

"Carbo Mass is a special carbohydrate blend that is 60 grams added to the product. The total amount of carbohydrates of the whole product (carbs from carbo mass + other ingredients in the product) is 80 grams."

FWIW

Rodja
02-08-2013, 12:04 PM
I wrote Ultimate Nutrition to ask about the disparity between the "Carbo Mass 60g" and the overall carbs being 80g without the milk. This is what they wrote back:

"Carbo Mass is a special carbohydrate blend that is 60 grams added to the product. The total amount of carbohydrates of the whole product (carbs from carbo mass + other ingredients in the product) is 80 grams."

FWIW

They must use some cheap ass protein sources then.

DJM
02-08-2013, 12:17 PM
haha ^^^ 20g of sugars floating around
awesome

longBallLima
02-08-2013, 12:27 PM
i remind you, it's 74g net carbs. and FPR didnt defend that ISO Mass has a better composition than stuff made at home. but in looking at gainer products, ISO Mass seems like a good option. Like most of them, full of bulky, lesser quality ingredients.

Freepressright
02-08-2013, 01:12 PM
haha ^^^ 20g of sugars floating around
awesome

Only 5g of sugar per 3 scoops and 6g of fiber.

Freepressright
02-08-2013, 01:47 PM
They must use some cheap ass protein sources then.

OK then, educate me. How many carbs should non-cheap ass protein have versus what this does? I've looked up some of the most expensive wheys, whey isolates and caseins and you're looking at 3 to 5 carbs per scoop for most.

I paid $55 for a supplement that has a great blend of proteins, is low in sugar, has plenty of dietary fiber, includes carbs from oats, has CLA in it, has omega-3s, has MCTs, has beta alanine, has Kre-Alkalyn and six other types of creatines, has BCAAs and vitamins and it has 30, three-scoop servings per container. Regularly I'd be paying about $70 per container.

When I compare that to most any other decent gainer on the market, it's a great deal.

And to top all this off, it works well at its intended purpose. Help me to understand where I'm getting fucked, because I just don't feel it.

Rodja
02-08-2013, 02:23 PM
OK then, educate me. How many carbs should non-cheap ass protein have versus what this does? I've looked up some of the most expensive wheys, whey isolates and caseins and you're looking at 3 to 5 carbs per scoop for most.

I paid $55 for a supplement that has a great blend of proteins, is low in sugar, has plenty of dietary fiber, includes carbs from oats, has CLA in it, has omega-3s, has MCTs, has beta alanine, has Kre-Alkalyn and six other types of creatines, has BCAAs and vitamins and it has 30, three-scoop servings per container. Regularly I'd be paying about $70 per container.

When I compare that to most any other decent gainer on the market, it's a great deal.

And to top all this off, it works well at its intended purpose. Help me to understand where I'm getting fucked, because I just don't feel it.

Let's start with the company itself. They're not cGMP and have had some products fail QC tests in the past. Next is the ambiguity of the label. There isn't an exact ingredient list, so you have no idea as to what is actually included. You can put in extremely cheap milk proteins and label them as you'd like since it will be technically correct. The fact that there are 20g of carbs that are unaccounted for suggests this. You're correct that it is low in sugar, but the GI of maltodextrin, which makes up a huge chunk of the carb source, is essentially the same. While we're talking about maltodextrin, you're looking at an ingredient that retails for ~$20 for 10lbs of it. We're talking about an extremely cheap corn by-product with zero nutritional value. The fiber amount is also far from optimal: roughly 1g per 16g of carbs. We can't comment about the quality of the fat blend, but it doesn't look like anything special. At all. I don't see beta alanine on the label. Who gives a shit if it has 7 types of creatines when mono is proven to work and is $20 for a kg of it. Are you really bringing up the vitamins, minerals, and BCAAs? The amounts of each of these are fucking tiny. 33% of each of them is retarded and 550MG of BCAAs is even more retarded.

Freepressright
02-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Let's start with the company itself. They're not cGMP and have had some products fail QC tests in the past. Next is the ambiguity of the label. There isn't an exact ingredient list, so you have no idea as to what is actually included. You can put in extremely cheap milk proteins and label them as you'd like since it will be technically correct. The fact that there are 20g of carbs that are unaccounted for suggests this. You're correct that it is low in sugar, but the GI of maltodextrin, which makes up a huge chunk of the carb source, is essentially the same. While we're talking about maltodextrin, you're looking at an ingredient that retails for ~$20 for 10lbs of it. We're talking about an extremely cheap corn by-product with zero nutritional value. The fiber amount is also far from optimal: roughly 1g per 16g of carbs. We can't comment about the quality of the fat blend, but it doesn't look like anything special. At all. I don't see beta alanine on the label. Who gives a shit if it has 7 types of creatines when mono is proven to work and is $20 for a kg of it. Are you really bringing up the vitamins, minerals, and BCAAs? The amounts of each of these are fucking tiny. 33% of each of them is retarded and 550MG of BCAAs is even more retarded.

And the fact the product works for the vast majority of users somehow doesn't mean shit?

DJM
02-08-2013, 02:35 PM
http://www.suppsrus.com.au/img/cms/ultimate-IsoMass-info.gif

first off at the end of the day, if you like it and it works, great.....i do get the thread was titled in a manner saying how much you like the product, just its steered into the 'quality' of it now, 2 different things.....i love gluta tren, but cant justify $30 for 20sv of glutamine lol

just for me, even at 55$ i wouldnt budge

i can grab 5lb whey blend from rxwhey, bottle of honey / bag of quaker, and tub of maranatha and hit those macros easily, and not bother with the 20 ingredients they listed for name value

to each's own.......but at this stage in the game no one can tell me any big label product is quality anymore, when their end game is $$$$, the key to a 'blend' is they are hiding how little the amounts of the good stuff they put........jmo, i like my label short and sweet

****most quality proteins show up with 1-2g carb max per 30g.....anything more and shit is being added

Rodja
02-08-2013, 02:36 PM
And the fact the product works for the vast majority of users somehow doesn't mean shit?

Define work.

I'm commenting about the quality, or lack thereof, on the label of the product. They're definitely not quality calories considering how much maltodextrin is in the product. This isn't the 90's anymore. If you're looking to simply add calories without consideration to quality, then eat a double cheeseburger with mayo and bacon.

Freepressright
02-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Produces in increase in mass with minimal fat gain and enables a person with a job, a family and two bands with busy gigging schedules a convenient way to get extra calories they need, consistently.

It enjoys overwhelmingly favorable user ratings at the majority of retailers who sell it.

To me, it's a winner. If you don't like it, that's fine.

Rodja
02-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Produces in increase in mass with minimal fat gain and enables a person with a job, a family and two bands with busy gigging schedules a convenient way to get extra calories they need, consistently.

It enjoys overwhelmingly favorable user ratings at the majority of retailers who sell it.

To me, it's a winner. If you don't like it, that's fine.

So you don't care to address what I actually wrote instead of shifting to a completely ambiguous and unquantifiable statement?

Freepressright
02-08-2013, 02:53 PM
No. The more I've thought about your response on this thread and the cumulative total of what you chime in on all over the internet, it dawned on me. By and large you're an asshole, know-it-all who looks to find fault in almost anything anyone else does, and I could argue with you until I'm blue in the face and it won't matter. Sometimes walking away comes with injured pride, but arguing with a horse's ass just isn't worth the time.

Have a good weekend!

longBallLima
02-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Define work.

I'm commenting about the quality, or lack thereof, on the label of the product. They're definitely not quality calories considering how much maltodextrin is in the product. This isn't the 90's anymore. If you're looking to simply add calories without consideration to quality, then eat a double cheeseburger with mayo and bacon.

imma jump in and disagree. this may not be the handmade quality ingredient home snack, but its definitely better than said cheeseburger.

i totally get having a gainer with my schedule, how much i gotta eat and how my day works. and as far as gainers go, FPR's review seem to describe a product i'd look into.

another one, just for tips, is rxwhey's. i've used it before, good macros, decent ingredients, decent taste.

in the end, i guess it comes to some people see an use for gainers, some don't.

DJM
02-08-2013, 03:01 PM
going off ingredients id go with the rxwhey stuff, theyll probably do the same, but the no frills shortened ingredient list i much prefer

Rodja
02-08-2013, 03:02 PM
No. The more I've thought about your response on this thread and the cumulative total of what you chime in on all over the internet, it dawned on me. By and large you're an asshole, know-it-all who looks to find fault in almost anything anyone else does, and I could argue with you until I'm blue in the face and it won't matter. Sometimes walking away comes with injured pride, but arguing with a horse's ass just isn't worth the time.

Have a good weekend!

Call me the asshole, yet resort to personal insults and ad hominem. Gotta love the irony there...

If you don't give a shit about the quality of your nutrition, then by all means enjoy your corn and protein mix.

weekend
02-08-2013, 03:03 PM

Have a good weekend!

BBG
02-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Weight gainers have their place on the go. I don't use them, I go to fast food when I'm "on the go".

But then again, I can stay lean eating terrible. It's my health that suffers the most.

h2s
02-08-2013, 03:40 PM
http://adaptershack.com/m/files/www.gifsoup.com_webroot_animatedgifs2_1863082_o.gi f

longBallLima
02-08-2013, 04:47 PM
lol well, that went to shit fast

Cobalt
02-08-2013, 05:41 PM
LOL, Rodja and FPR arguing about anything won't end well.
Only took 6 pages.

longBallLima
02-08-2013, 05:54 PM
and i mean, politics, religion, this that, yah

but, ingredients on a gainer... lol

h2s
02-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Both are opinionated individuals, so I can see an opinion clash going on for awhile. Both good guys so no mod action, just popcorn popping.

dacookiemonsta
02-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Call me the asshole, yet resort to personal insults and ad hominem. Gotta love the irony there...

If you don't give a shit about the quality of your nutrition, then by all means enjoy your corn and protein mix.

After you've basically slandered the name of anybody and everybody who's written a positive review on this I'm not sure you should be complaining about ad hominem attacks.

markam
02-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Rodja and FPR, what do you think of this profile?

Reflex Instant Mass.

Per 136g / Per 100g
Energy: 2154kJ/ 509kcals / 1584Kj / 374 kcals
Protein: 54g / 40g
Carbohydrate: 63g / 46g
(of which sugars): 7.5g / 5.5g
Fat: 4.5g / 3.3g
(of which saturates): 0.6g / 0.5g
Fibre: 3.4g / 2.5g
Sodium: 178mg / 131mg

Vitamin B6: 5.3mg /3.9mg
Vitamin C: 100mg / 74mg
Calcium: 212mg / 156mg
Magnesium: 113mg / 83mg
Copper: 750ug / 550ug
Zinc: 4.5mg / 3.3mg
Digezyme®: 50mg / 37mg
Lactospore®: 50 million spores / 37 million spores

Protein blend (ultra filtered whey protein concentrate, milk protein concentrate (80% Micellar Casein, 20% Whey), Muscle Drive (derived from wheat protein), Hydrolised Whey Protein (degree of hydrolysis 30%), Egg White Protein Isolate), Organic Carbohydrate Blend (Organic Oat Flour, Organic Barley Flour), Corn Dextrin, Flavouring Substances, Natural Colourings (Cocoa (chocolate flavour only), Betanin (strawberry flavour only), beta carotene (banana and vanilla flavours only), Carboxy Methyl Cellulose, Magnesium Citrate, Artificial sweeteners (sucralose, acelsulfame k), Emuslifer (soya lecithin), Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), Digezyme Digestive Enzyme Complex (Amylase, Cellulase, Lactase, Lipase & Neutral protease), Zinc l-monomethionine, Lactospore pro-biotics (Bacillius Coagulans), Copper Aspartate, Pyrodoxine (Vitamin B6), L-Selenomethionine, Chromium Piccolate.

Allergens: Contains milk, barley, gluten, wheat, egg, soya (from soya lecithin)
Suitable for Vegetarians.

Rodja
02-09-2013, 12:37 PM
After you've basically slandered the name of anybody and everybody who's written a positive review on this I'm not sure you should be complaining about ad hominem attacks.

I'm not complaining. I was merely pointing out the irony. I take pride in being an asshole.

Rodja and FPR, what do you think of this profile?

Reflex Instant Mass.

Per 136g / Per 100g
Energy: 2154kJ/ 509kcals / 1584Kj / 374 kcals
Protein: 54g / 40g
Carbohydrate: 63g / 46g
(of which sugars): 7.5g / 5.5g
Fat: 4.5g / 3.3g
(of which saturates): 0.6g / 0.5g
Fibre: 3.4g / 2.5g
Sodium: 178mg / 131mg

Vitamin B6: 5.3mg /3.9mg
Vitamin C: 100mg / 74mg
Calcium: 212mg / 156mg
Magnesium: 113mg / 83mg
Copper: 750ug / 550ug
Zinc: 4.5mg / 3.3mg
Digezyme®: 50mg / 37mg
Lactospore®: 50 million spores / 37 million spores

Protein blend (ultra filtered whey protein concentrate, milk protein concentrate (80% Micellar Casein, 20% Whey), Muscle Drive (derived from wheat protein), Hydrolised Whey Protein (degree of hydrolysis 30%), Egg White Protein Isolate), Organic Carbohydrate Blend (Organic Oat Flour, Organic Barley Flour), Corn Dextrin, Flavouring Substances, Natural Colourings (Cocoa (chocolate flavour only), Betanin (strawberry flavour only), beta carotene (banana and vanilla flavours only), Carboxy Methyl Cellulose, Magnesium Citrate, Artificial sweeteners (sucralose, acelsulfame k), Emuslifer (soya lecithin), Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), Digezyme Digestive Enzyme Complex (Amylase, Cellulase, Lactase, Lipase & Neutral protease), Zinc l-monomethionine, Lactospore pro-biotics (Bacillius Coagulans), Copper Aspartate, Pyrodoxine (Vitamin B6), L-Selenomethionine, Chromium Piccolate.

Allergens: Contains milk, barley, gluten, wheat, egg, soya (from soya lecithin)
Suitable for Vegetarians.

Really low in fiber for the amount of carbs in each serving and having something derived from gluten as a protein source is not something I'd ingest.

USN HM 350Z
02-09-2013, 01:30 PM
how about this gainer?

Amount Per Serving With Water
Calories 510
Calories From Fat 99
% Daily Value
Total Fat 11g 17%†
Saturated Fat 2.5g 13%†
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 2mg <1%†
Sodium 480mg 20%†
Potassium 1020mg 29%†
Total Carbohydrate 58g 19%†
Dietary Fiber 12g 48%†
Sugars 1g ††
Protein 46g 92%*

Vitamin A 60%
Calcium 123%
Vitamin D 60%
Thiamin 60%
Niacin 60%
Folic Acid 60%
Biotin 60%
Phosphorus 112%
Vitamin C 60%
Iron 55%
Vitamin E 60%
Riboflavin 60%
Vitamin B6 60%
Vitamin B12 60%
Pantothenic Acid 60%

Carbohydrate Blend (Barley, Oats, Oat Fiber), PROBOLIC® Amino Acid Enhanced Sustained Release Protein Matrix [Supro® Soy Protein Isolate (With Calcium Phosphate, And Lecithin), Calcium Caseinate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Leucine, Isoleucine, Valine], Safflower Oil Creamer [Safflower Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Di-Potassium Phosphate, Mono-Glycerides, Di-Glycerides, Sodium Caseinate (A Milk Derivative), Lecithin, Natural Flavor, Less Than 2% Silicon Dioxide (Anti-Caking Agent), And Tocopherols (To Help Protect Flavor)], Cocoa, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Lipid Complex: Medium Chain Triglycerides, Essential Fatty Acid Blend [Borage Seed Oil Powder (10% GLA), Conjugated Linoleic Acid Complex (78% CLA), Evening Primrose Seed Oil (4.8% GLA), Flaxseed Powder (8% ALA), And Omega-3 Complex (7.5% EPA & DHA)], Gum Blend (Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Carrageenan), Silica, Acesulfame Potassium, Vitamin Pre-Mix (Ascorbic Acid, DL-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Cholecalciferol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamin Mononitrate, Cyanocobalamin, Folic Acid, And Biotin), Sucralose, Banaba Leaf Extract (Lagerstroemia Speciosa)

Cobalt
02-09-2013, 01:59 PM
How about this gainer:

MILK.

markam
02-09-2013, 02:04 PM
I'm not complaining. I was merely pointing out the irony. I take pride in being an asshole.

Really low in fiber for the amount of carbs in each serving and having something derived from gluten as a protein source is not something I'd ingest.

You could easily add some fiber, and regarding the wheat protein, it's not possible to tell how much there is from the labelling. It's a product that I bought quite some time ago, and still have some left as I rarely use it, but it has been easy on the stomach and I tend to suffer from an upset stomach all to easily. These days I mostly rely on real food and use Bcaas and Eaas as supplements, and peptopro, but I haven't yet made my mind up re peptopro yet. Doubt I'll buy whey again.

- - - Updated - - -

How about this gainer:

MILK.

Too much toilet time:(

Rodja
02-09-2013, 03:19 PM
how about this gainer?

Amount Per Serving With Water
Calories 510
Calories From Fat 99
% Daily Value
Total Fat 11g 17%†
Saturated Fat 2.5g 13%†
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 2mg <1%†
Sodium 480mg 20%†
Potassium 1020mg 29%†
Total Carbohydrate 58g 19%†
Dietary Fiber 12g 48%†
Sugars 1g ††
Protein 46g 92%*

Vitamin A 60%
Calcium 123%
Vitamin D 60%
Thiamin 60%
Niacin 60%
Folic Acid 60%
Biotin 60%
Phosphorus 112%
Vitamin C 60%
Iron 55%
Vitamin E 60%
Riboflavin 60%
Vitamin B6 60%
Vitamin B12 60%
Pantothenic Acid 60%

Carbohydrate Blend (Barley, Oats, Oat Fiber), PROBOLIC® Amino Acid Enhanced Sustained Release Protein Matrix [Supro® Soy Protein Isolate (With Calcium Phosphate, And Lecithin), Calcium Caseinate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Leucine, Isoleucine, Valine], Safflower Oil Creamer [Safflower Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Di-Potassium Phosphate, Mono-Glycerides, Di-Glycerides, Sodium Caseinate (A Milk Derivative), Lecithin, Natural Flavor, Less Than 2% Silicon Dioxide (Anti-Caking Agent), And Tocopherols (To Help Protect Flavor)], Cocoa, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Lipid Complex: Medium Chain Triglycerides, Essential Fatty Acid Blend [Borage Seed Oil Powder (10% GLA), Conjugated Linoleic Acid Complex (78% CLA), Evening Primrose Seed Oil (4.8% GLA), Flaxseed Powder (8% ALA), And Omega-3 Complex (7.5% EPA & DHA)], Gum Blend (Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Carrageenan), Silica, Acesulfame Potassium, Vitamin Pre-Mix (Ascorbic Acid, DL-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Cholecalciferol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamin Mononitrate, Cyanocobalamin, Folic Acid, And Biotin), Sucralose, Banaba Leaf Extract (Lagerstroemia Speciosa)

Two things: too much fiber and soy as the first protein.

Freepressright
02-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Here's what I think...

I regard powdered gainers kind of like I regard prohormones. They're a tool that you use some of the time with a specific goal in mind. Obviously, sound nutrition and a good diet should be permanent cornerstones in your lifestyle, but if you want to throw on some extra mass, finding a good gainer to aid in that has a purpose.

There is no perfect product out there. You can find a fault in damn near any product if you look hard enough. A lot of mass gainers are loaded with sugar and I wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot pole.

I once bought a container of GNC Pro Performance 2,2000 gainer that was on clearance for like $10. I about shit when I got home and read the label to see how much sugar was in it. It also tasted horrendous and was so disgustingly thick I couldn't even finish a serving of it.

Most gainers are ridiculously expensive, too. But you find one that fits your budget and that produces results for you, that's great. I don't think the label looks all that bad on the product you posted, Markam, but the total calories don't seem like a whole lot for a gainer. Of course there are ways of enhancing that.

For me, ISO-Mass is wonderful. It aids in producing gains, it tastes good, I get a lot of servings per container and it eliminates the need for me to buy a lot of other supplements.

Rodja speculated about the quality of protein being poor, but I can tell you this much, cheap protein powders make me shit my guts out. Anyone who has ever read a log of mine knows how sensitive my lower GI is to poor quality stuff. I can tell you that even with two ISO-Mass shakes a day, I have absolutely no GI upset whatsoever.

I believe it to be a good, solid product and don't mind spending the money on it when I feel like throwing on some extra weight.

weekend
02-09-2013, 03:38 PM
I don't get why you'd say you won't touch a gainer with a ton of sugar with a 10 foot pole... Because your gainer is maltodextrin (though not technically sugar, it is higher glycemic according to what I've read...) followed by dextrose. So your gainer is basically sugar or worse! Not that I'm against that.

Freepressright
02-09-2013, 03:56 PM
My gainer also has oat fiber, an overall dietary fiber content of 6g and a blend of fats to offset the glycemic spike. The overall sugar content is 5g. It ain't perfect, but it beats the hell out of gainers like GNC's Pro Performance 2,200 with 94g of sugar, or Champion Nutrition's version with 60+ grams and a negligible amount of fiber.

Scope75
02-09-2013, 03:57 PM
I don't get why you'd say you won't touch a gainer with a ton of sugar with a 10 foot pole... Because your gainer is maltodextrin (though not technically sugar, it is higher glycemic according to what I've read...) followed by dextrose. So your gainer is basically sugar or worse! Not that I'm against that.

Agree and your correct about malto.

Freepressright
02-09-2013, 03:58 PM
It also has a carbohydrate to protein ratio of 16:13

markam
02-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Here's what I think...

I regard powdered gainers kind of like I regard prohormones. They're a tool that you use some of the time with a specific goal in mind. Obviously, sound nutrition and a good diet should be permanent cornerstones in your lifestyle, but if you want to throw on some extra mass, finding a good gainer to aid in that has a purpose.

There is no perfect product out there. You can find a fault in damn near any product if you look hard enough. A lot of mass gainers are loaded with sugar and I wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot pole.

I once bought a container of GNC Pro Performance 2,2000 gainer that was on clearance for like $10. I about shit when I got home and read the label to see how much sugar was in it. It also tasted horrendous and was so disgustingly thick I couldn't even finish a serving of it.

Most gainers are ridiculously expensive, too. But you find one that fits your budget and that produces results for you, that's great. I don't think the label looks all that bad on the product you posted, Markam, but the total calories don't seem like a whole lot for a gainer. Of course there are ways of enhancing that.

For me, ISO-Mass is wonderful. It aids in producing gains, it tastes good, I get a lot of servings per container and it eliminates the need for me to buy a lot of other supplements.

Rodja speculated about the quality of protein being poor, but I can tell you this much, cheap protein powders make me shit my guts out. Anyone who has ever read a log of mine knows how sensitive my lower GI is to poor quality stuff. I can tell you that even with two ISO-Mass shakes a day, I have absolutely no GI upset whatsoever.

I believe it to be a good, solid product and don't mind spending the money on it when I feel like throwing on some extra weight.

Basically the old saying,"One man's meat is another man's poison" sort of applies here. I'm not looking for that many calories because I also eat so damn much. LOL More just being able to grab something quick that's also low glycemic. I've heard a lot of negativity about maltodextrin, true or false, but I choose to steer clear of it. Having said that, we all have different needs, so it's not necessarily all that clear cut.

Freepressright
02-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Maltodextrin is controversial. It's closely related to dextrose, which is a simple sugar.

But as a carbohydrate for post-workout, there's validity to the idea that it is used to restore muscle glycogen concentrations, stimulate protein synthesis and halt protein breakdown. It's also paired with complex carbohydrates in ISO-Mass, hence the reference to the "carb blend."

The maltodextrin must be considered in context, taking into account the other ingredients in the gainer.

nate3993
02-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Yeah. Serious mass's carbs are just maltodextrin. I don't really care though. If I'm getting good pumps in the gym, and putting on size, I'm happy. 180 here i come!