PDA

View Full Version : Cardio or Caloric Deficit by Diet

Sperwer
02-11-2013, 01:11 AM
I think the point he makes about the self-defeating nature of cardio for strength athletes is interesting:

The Cardio Comedown (http://www.humanengine.com/index.php/articles/training/item/the-cardio-comedown?category_id=2)

Rodja
02-11-2013, 08:04 AM
He's lumping cardio and endurance training into the same thing, which they are not. This article puts no distinction between modalities, frequency, type, time, intensity, etc. and tries to put anything with a CV emphasis into the same mold, which is erroneous. One of the biggest problem in America is that we are really, really out of shape because there is such a small amount of emphasis put on conditioning. With a highly conditioned athlete comes a higher rate of recovery and increased threshold for volume, but you have to keep an eye on specificity and carryover. If you're a powerlifter, it doesn't make any sense to go out jogging as there is little carryover to the platform outside of perhaps weight control if you cut a lot of weight prior to a meet. When people mention cardio, most will think of a treadmill, elliptical, etc., but the possibilities for cardio are truly endless and they cannot all be mentioned in the same breath when the only similarities they share are movement and increased HR.

Sperwer
02-11-2013, 06:56 PM
He's lumping cardio and endurance training into the same thing, which they are not. This article puts no distinction between modalities, frequency, type, time, intensity, etc. and tries to put anything with a CV emphasis into the same mold, which is erroneous. One of the biggest problem in America is that we are really, really out of shape because there is such a small amount of emphasis put on conditioning. With a highly conditioned athlete comes a higher rate of recovery and increased threshold for volume, but you have to keep an eye on specificity and carryover. If you're a powerlifter, it doesn't make any sense to go out jogging as there is little carryover to the platform outside of perhaps weight control if you cut a lot of weight prior to a meet. When people mention cardio, most will think of a treadmill, elliptical, etc., but the possibilities for cardio are truly endless and they cannot all be mentioned in the same breath when the only similarities they share are movement and increased HR.

Thanks Rodja. One of the reasons I post this stuff is to get other perspectives.

Rodja
04-18-2013, 07:31 AM
This content places no difference between methods, regularity, kind, time, strength, etc. and tries to put anything with a CV focus into the same pattern, which is invalid. One of the greatest issue in The united states is that we are really, really out of form because there is such a bit of focus put on training.

Da fuq?

O_RYAN_007
04-18-2013, 07:42 AM
Da fuq?

I thought the same thing, and I'm still half asleep!

DJM
04-18-2013, 08:00 AM
This content places no difference between methods, regularity, kind, time, strength, etc. and tries to put anything with a CV focus into the same pattern, which is invalid. One of the greatest issue in The united states is that we are really, really out of form because there is such a bit of focus put on training.

x100
totally!!

h2s
04-18-2013, 08:32 AM

Your post and signature/username match indicate you are a bot, however, you have some posts that seem to be too on topic to be a bot. You have 24 hours to post a response to this comment, indicating your favorite color, which exercise you think is best for your triceps, and the age of which you lost your virginity.

longBallLima
04-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Your post and signature/username match indicate you are a bot, however, you have some posts that seem to be too on topic to be a bot. You have 24 hours to post a response to this comment, indicating your favorite color, which exercise you think is best for your triceps, and the age of which you lost your virginity.

yup ,the age you lost your virginity in de mouf

LBC-83
04-18-2013, 12:57 PM
I'm going to have to confess, Rodja is my man-crush. If for no other reason than his knowledge and ability to convey that knowledge.

BeaverDan
04-18-2013, 05:29 PM
I can't stop laughing, I really hope this guy is legit, so I don't feel dumb for laughing at a bot.

BeaverDan
04-18-2013, 05:33 PM
On another note, my favorite type of cardio is sledgehammer training. I get good HIIT cardio and it actually helps me with my upper body and core related lifts.

USN HM 350Z
04-18-2013, 08:40 PM

Not a bot, just a scammer trying to build up reputation by rewording other peoples posts. The classifieds posts will come later lol

h2s
04-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Gone.

burlyman30
04-19-2013, 07:00 AM
Gone.

Because he never lost his virginity.

Rodja
04-19-2013, 07:12 AM
Did anyone else notice that it's nearly verbatim my response to the OP?

Fat Bill Dwyer
04-19-2013, 07:28 AM
Did anyone else notice that it's nearly verbatim my response to the OP?

I disagree, however I do think that:

He's lumping cardio and endurance training into the simlar thing, which they are dissimilar. This article puts no unsamenities between modalities, frequency, type, time, intensity, etc. and tries to put anything with a CV emphasis into the same mold, which is falsehoodious. One of the biggest problem in America is that we are incredibly out of shape because there is such a small amount of emphasis put on conditioning. With a highly conditioned athlete comes a higher rate of recover and larger threshold for volume, but you have to keep an eye on specificity and carryover. If you're a powerlifter, it doesn't make any sense to go out running as there is little carryover to the platform outside of perhaps unfatness if you cut a lot of weight prior to a meet. When people mention cardio, most will think of a nordic-track-elite, elliptical, etc., but the possibilities for cardio are infinite and they cannot all be mentioned in the same sentence when the only similarities they share are movement and increased heart beating.

Now someone buy my godamn Ultradrol!