PDA

View Full Version : Updates Coming Soon

h2s
02-12-2013, 08:08 AM
Hey Swole Members,

There have been requests for some updates and changes that have been pushed to the side due to my computer giving it's lasts breaths lately. I have been needing an update for quite some time, and everytime I get involved in a new project have become frustrated at hangups and crashes. I have finally ordered my new computer, which should be shipping today. I look forward to being able to pick up some of these to-do projects after I become familiar with the new computer's enviornment.

One of the first projects will be the additional theme for the site for those who have stated they do not like the dark appearance.

As a PS for Burly, as much as I have stated my discontent for Apple, I think my new Macbook will suit me well.

Thank you for hanging in there and helping this site grow,

-h2s

burlyman30
02-12-2013, 09:08 AM
Hey Swole Members,

There have been requests for some updates and changes that have been pushed to the side due to my computer giving it's lasts breaths lately. I have been needing an update for quite some time, and everytime I get involved in a new project have become frustrated at hangups and crashes. I have finally ordered my new computer, which should be shipping today. I look forward to being able to pick up some of these to-do projects after I become familiar with the new computer's enviornment.

One of the first projects will be the additional theme for the site for those who have stated they do not like the dark appearance.

As a PS for Burly, as much as I have stated my discontent for Apple, I think my new Macbook will suit me well.

Thank you for hanging in there and helping this site grow,

-h2s

lol... you're gonna love that MacBook, bro. Certainly more money than an off-the-discount-shelf Toshiba, but worth it every day in my book. Congrats on the new machine.

markam
02-12-2013, 10:30 AM
Yep, I suffered so much down time on a PC I've recently also bought a Mac. I don't like the lack of upgradeability (is that a word?), but they tend to be much more stable than PC's. Trouble with buying 'new' PCs off the shelf is that some of the components might be a year or so old, so it's like a new unused PC but with some new and old components, (this was true of a HP I bought a while ago).

Cobalt
02-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Gah, you bunch of sellouts.

I still have my first laptop from when I was in college a good 8 years ago and it's still taking names and kicking ass.

BBG
02-12-2013, 11:16 AM

I still have my first laptop from when I was in college a good 8 years ago and it's still taking names and kicking ass.

You could go buy a $400 laptop right now and be amazed by the warpspeeds that it moves at. My computer cost me $400... I don't really need to do much with it. I invested in a very nice 23" monitor, though. I stare at it all day, might as well make it nice.

DJM
02-12-2013, 11:21 AM

gah, cause you're an IT guy

Cobalt
02-12-2013, 11:41 AM
gah, cause you're an IT guy

I just know how to take care of my stuff ;)

markam
02-12-2013, 11:43 AM
I also use PCs, but for music audio editing, Macs have the edge. PCs can also do audio editing, but too much down time ruins creative flow. Problems that plague people running music software on PCs just doesn't happen on Macs, well, pretty much.

burlyman30
02-12-2013, 11:49 AM

I'm going to guess you've had to do a fair amount of things in order to keep it going that long. Most consumers neither have the knowledge nor skill to keep a pc running that long. Feedback I get from most people is 2-3 year life on a pc.

My MacBook Pro is in year seven and handles everything I throw at it... no virus protection, no repairs. I spent a bundle on it. Bought a used identical one for my wife 3 years later and both are running flawlessly.

I understand the tech guy arguments, and don't disagree really. But even though I taught myself how to program computers in 3 languages back in the 80s, when I come home at night, I just want something that will seamlessly run the programs I use and be easy to navigate as a user while being a rock-solid, non-crashing platform to run it from. Unix stability rocks.

h2s
02-12-2013, 12:56 PM

I totally get the benefits of a more open PC platform than offered by Apple. I actually am a huge Apple critic, as evident by my joke to Burly. The fact that I can't upgrade my macbook at all (it is a retina, with ram and ssd soldered in place) is annoying as hell. However, I purchased one that I cant foresee a need to upgrade for quite some time.

You could go buy a $400 laptop right now and be amazed by the warpspeeds that it moves at. My computer cost me $400... I don't really need to do much with it. I invested in a very nice 23" monitor, though. I stare at it all day, might as well make it nice.

Quick is relative. The macbook I bought as a 2.7 quad core i7, 16gigs of ram, and an all SSD storage system. There isn't much competition available at that level of performance in a laptop, particularly one that isn't a bulking gaming laptop.

burlyman30
02-12-2013, 01:14 PM
^^^ Nice machine, h2. I'm a little jealous of the ssd. What a difference they make in speed. I can't imagine you needing more than 16g ram... I've done a little of everything with mine, which is maxed out at 8g.... performs great.

Welcome to the dark side :)

longBallLima
02-12-2013, 03:27 PM
^^^ Nice machine, h2. I'm a little jealous of the ssd. What a difference they make in speed. I can't imagine you needing more than 16g ram... I've done a little of everything with mine, which is maxed out at 8g.... performs great.

Welcome to the pink side :)

fixed it there for ya ;)

lol