PDA

View Full Version : Occlusion Training

campcoll88
02-25-2013, 12:28 AM
Anybody have any experience with occlusion training? Layne Norton recommends it and its supposed to elicit gains while saving your joints some wear and tear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpKn8Hav5eM

burlyman30
02-25-2013, 01:08 AM
Interesting. I'm not sure I buy the theory of IGF-1 accumulation, since you release the wraps immediately after the sets are done. I do understand the increased filling of blood for both stretching muscle fascia (a point not mentioned) and increased mitochondrial growth (also not mentioned). Training light and high reps for maximum pump is something that has been around since the early days of bodybuilding and used to be called "muscle spinning". Reps from 15-25 or more were used and strength was not a consideration during this training. Some used this training exclusively, while others mixed it with heavier training. 70s bodybuilder Serge Nubret was known for his 20 rep sets and 20-30 sets per bodypart with short rest periods. Though I'm sure the occlusion training pumps up the muscle faster than typical high rep training, in the end I'm not sure it's any more effective than the muscle spinning routines, as they also gorge the muscle with blood to the point of painfulness.