PDA

View Full Version : Blood test results- help interpreting

pman42
02-27-2013, 11:19 PM
Hey guys. So I got a blood test the other day and the results are not so hot. Total testosterone 13.1 nmol/L (which translates to around 385 ng/dl). This test didn't show free testosterone, but previously it was 242 pmol/ L (reference range 90-700 as "method of vermeulen" and 5.7 nmol/L as "bioavailable T" (range 2-16). on the previous test my total T was a paltry 7.3 nmol/L.

other things of interest: both times fasting glucose was fairly high, at 6.2 and 5.9 mmol/L (cutoff is 5.5). the first one I wrote off cause I had drunk a bunch of milk late at night but this second one I was truly fasted.

TSH maybe a bit high at 2.1 and 2.5 mU/L (range .38-5.5 but I've been told by naturopaths that it should be on the lower end). other things within reference ranges. SHBG at 13 nmol/L (ref 10-70) on the 1st test (one with the 7.3 test) and prolactin at 9.6 and 7.1 (1st and 2nd) ug/L (ref <15).

Help me make sense of this, guys. the last time I got my bloodwork I wrote it off as bad lifestyle, etc. but it's starting to look like a trend, although my total T is up a bit from its previously hypogonadal levels. I have only cycled about 3 times and each time used nolva and TRS. I was planning another cycle this year, but after this result, I don't know if I should whack my HPTA.

my questions:
o Are these results cause for concern?
o Could the high blood glucose be a cause of low T?
o SHold i try to get another test for total and free T (free T was omitted on the most recent one), or wait a while? is it worthwhile to try to optimize my supplement intake/lifestyle in the hope this could change it? work really hard on getting the BG down?
o Any use in a SERM/letro course? I was going to try this anyway for a small bit of gyno that androhard didn't take care of.

any help you can provide would be appreciated. i am really, really depressed right now as I train hard, eat right, sleep, supplement intelligently, and have only been "on cycle" for a total of maybe 3.5 months of my entire 5 year lifting career and 28 year life thus far. thanks

pman42
02-27-2013, 11:27 PM
oh and after the 1st test which showed testosterone at 7.3 (ref 10-30) I asked my doctor if I should see an endo and she said no, so I definitely have tried to go that route. although now I feel I can be more forceful after these new results. fuck this is depressing

so:
1) do nothing, repeat
2) take test-optimizing supps (vit A, vit D, zinc, mag, d-aspartic) and BG and insulin supps, and repeat
3) take Letro/SERM and repeat after a few months when they are out of system

also: another cycle, yea or nay?
also: both times i have been training heavily. best to lay off for a week before testing (i;ve read it can lower testosterone)

Jelisej
02-28-2013, 10:15 AM
OK- first your test is bit incomplete- we are missing on actual thyroid hormones, free T3 is the one that makes most of the work, but also free T4 or even T4 are good for estimating hypothyroidsm. TSH tells us what brain thinks about thyroid hormones- and in your case its on borderline and I would agree with your homeopath.

Glucose- your glucose is not that bad, but its not good either- lot of people get wrong diagnose as "prediabetic" when they are actually suffering from adrenal insuficiency. Adrenal hormones are tightly connected to glucose metabolism.

If total testosterone is higher than your sugar would be lower, and vice versa...

SHBG is on lower end and that would be a potential problem even on TRT, low SHBG have more struggle to get it right.
Now, first suspect in your case is Insulin- insulin lowers SHBG (tough low thyroid output is also maybe contributing here), free T3 for example raises SHBG and also binds hormones (this is where a lot of BB mess things up on cycle by adding too much T3).

So if you ask me, I rarely advise people to go on cycle when having issues with hormones- but in your case I think you can do one, and then try to fix problems. Or you just forget about cycles completely.
Your main issue is probably insulin-adrenals axis, first trying to sort that out by changing lifestyle and maybe adding some supps and see what happens and next trying to fasten up your metabolic rate which should increase your tt as well.

In any case, its your choice and do what you want. Keep posting here as you go...
Good luck!

pman42
02-28-2013, 11:15 AM
They didn't do the T3 or T4, which again is frustrating.

I know about insulin protocols, but what can be done for adrenals? would this be your standard 'adaptogen' formulas that are often recommended for adrenals?

Jelisej
02-28-2013, 01:16 PM
First you need to decide which route you want to go, cycle first or straight to fixing problems. It would be pointless to raise testost. and other hormones only to be disrupted by cycle.
Then there are many things to investigate, if there are any inflammation in body (sinuses? throath etc. sometimes even things like amalgam filllings can cause problems). Sleep quality, circadian rhytm, stress levels... Exercise intensity, does your diet style suits you...
And most of these things are very individual- some people exercises heavy 4-5 days a week they are OK, and some guys are doing it 3X and it seems as they are doing it lightly yet they have all symptoms of overtraining.
Lastly- its not just as how high someone hormone levels are, it is also how fast they can go up or in other words how efficient is their system in raising it up...

pman42
02-28-2013, 09:55 PM
At this point I have decided NOT to cycle. I figure that I will possibly need things like HCG and SERMs in an attempt to raise my naturally low test, so using them in PCT would put me at a disadvantage in that they may not be as effective for what I need them for, not to mention that doing a cycle will lower my natural output.

I have no outward inflammatory symptoms and eat and supplement anti-inflammatories. I sleep fairly well and recover well from training, no nagging pains. I have an ongoing sinus issue but it is due to a physical deformity (likely deviated septum) that I have been meaning to have looked at by an ENT. I have read that varioceles can cause lowered testosterone, and I have occasional problems with hemorrhoidal flareups that I haven't been able to completely cure. I wonder if that could act in a similar way as according to basic anatomy I looked up the internal pudendal artery branches off to feed the inferior anal as well as scrotal arteries. do you think there could be a connection with chronically suppressed bloodflow? maybe i'm grasping for straws. I have absolutely no erection or libido issues, everything there works just fine.

As far as the adrenal issues, I;m with you on that one. This is what is frustrating about my situation-- I use very little caffeine, avoid stress (have a non-stressful job, no commute, no dramatic relationships in my life) and use adrenal herbs like schisandra, maca, ashwagandha, rhodiola, holy basil, etc. I don't use this all the time but more as needed.

My last cycle was over a year ago (well actually an AndroHard run more recently, but that is considered less suppressive) and was done with full proper PCT. i am frustrated at this bloodwork, def need to improve it

Jelisej
03-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Seems that you are doing right things avoiding stimulants, herbs that you are using are valid as well. It seems that that may be helping, also its interesting that you have no bigger symptoms of hypogonadism- wheter that is because your body has used operating at lower numbers or its because you have reasonable level of bioavailable hormones. Testosterone levels are definitely lower because of low SHBG and glucose issues, insulint directly opposes SHBG and testosterone and GH. But here you probably have viscious circle. Thyroid and adrenal are maybe both lower which has negative effect (and I'm wondering wheter problem may come from pituary- maybe head injury..)
Also, your diet may need adjusting like finding frequency that suits you like less vs more freq. trying to avois insulin spike
other thing is maybe you could try protein with no carbs before and after exercise to try to get less insulin secretion.
I have some good text here on comp. so I'll copy-paste some bits that may be interesting to you:

Testosterone promotes insulin sensitivity and has antiinflammatory signaling functions.

Thyroid hormone:
1. Promotes energy production, such as by increasing mitochondria production and thermogenesis.
2. Promotes steroid hormone production - increasing testosterone production - thus lowering thyroid hormone can reduce testosterone production.
3. Promotes IGF-1 production - which does most of the actions of growth hormone
4. Increases serotonine production
5. Promotes insulin sensitivity
6. Has antiinflammatory signaling functions
7. Deficiency in Thyroid hormone can result in anxiety or irritability/anger

Growth hormone/IGF-1 hormone:
1. Can promote a sense of calm and well-being - deficiency of which can result in a higher level of anxiety.
2. Has antiinflammatory signaling functions.

Adrenal Hormone production, includes:
1. Cortisol
2. DHEA
3. Progesterone
4. Testosterone
5. Pregnenolone
6. Adrenal cortex hormone production - particularly Cortisol - promotes energy production

Cortisol:
1. Promotes energy - via gluconeogenesis, etc.
2. Feeds back to the brain to reduce Norepinephrine production - resulting in reduction in anxiety.
3. Deficiency in Cortisol production can result in anxiety

DHEA:
1. Increases Dopamine production in the brain
2. Promotes insulin sensitivity
4. Has antiinflammatory signaling functions
5. Deficiency of DHEA can result in anxiety.

Pregnenolone:
1. Has a stimulant effect.
2. Excessive Pregnenolone production can result in agitation, tension, or anxiety.

Progesterone:
1. Has a calming, mood-stabilizing effect.
2. Deficiency in Progesterone can result in agitation, tension, or anxiety.
3. Has antiinflammatory signaling functions.

Insulin:
1. Excess insulin can reduce testosterone production.
2. Has pro-inflammatory signaling functions.