PDA

View Full Version : Completely Noob Question: Cranberry Extract and benefit to the Kidneys

longBallLima
03-04-2013, 05:20 AM
So, any validity to Cranberry Extract helping Kidney function or damage prevention at all?

Found a lot of published studies using the extract for UTIs and Bladder infections, but Kidneys, couldn't find anything past bro-lore.

My apologies if this is too noob

markam
03-04-2013, 05:54 AM
There's some mention of the benefits of Cranberry here, by John Meadows.

T NATION | Liver Let Die (http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/liver_let_die)

Freepressright
03-06-2013, 12:00 PM
This is a common misconception.

Cranberry extract and cranberry juice is good for the prevention of urinary tract infections. Notice I said prevention and not treatment. In large amounts, it is actually bad for your kidneys and may increase your chances of getting stones.

Cranberry juice and cranberry extracts contain a large amount of a chemical called oxalate. There is evidence that some cranberry extract tablets can boost the level of oxalate in the urine by as much as 43%. Since kidney stones are made primarily from oxalate combined with calcium, healthcare providers worry that cranberry might increase the risk of kidney stones.

Lots of filtered water is your best bet for kidney maintenance.

longBallLima
03-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks, FPR!

Freepressright
03-06-2013, 12:13 PM
I don't want to scare you. There are instances where reasonable quantities of cranberry juice is helpful, but if you're thinking kidney maintenance, it's probably best to stick to adequate consumption of filtered water.

longBallLima
03-06-2013, 12:14 PM
yah, im sticking to my gallon a day, but as confirmed by my blood results today, there are some kidney values there that i wanna make sure are in check

Freepressright
03-06-2013, 12:24 PM
If you use creatine, it can skew your kidney values.

longBallLima
03-06-2013, 12:31 PM
If you use creatine, it can skew your kidney values.

yup, creatinine and bun have always been slightly high on the count of that and muscle lesion, but since my dieting, bun has been higher than usual.

Fat Bill Dwyer
03-06-2013, 12:40 PM
yup, creatinine and bun have always been slightly high on the count of that and muscle lesion, but since my dieting, bun has been higher than usual.

I was under the impression that creatine usage makes creatinine an unreliable marker for kidney problems because it raises creatinine values. It also raises BUN?

I assume in your case though your BUN would probably be elevated from all that protein you're eating.

longBallLima
03-06-2013, 12:44 PM
I was under the impression that creatine usage makes creatinine an unreliable marker for kidney problems because it raises creatinine values. It also raises BUN?

I assume in your case though your BUN would probably be elevated from all that protein you're eating.

true and my bad. i meant to say my creatinine/bun ratio is skewed by the high creatinine. I dont know of creatine raising BUN.