PDA

View Full Version : Big pharma coming for your resveratrol? Maybe

Freepressright
03-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Interesting read. It seems the drug manufacturer's want a piece of the resveratrol game. Now they're talking drug development. I foresee supplement companies being hassled over their marketing of resveratrol products in the future.

New drug being developed using compound found in red wine 'could help humans live until they are 150' | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2291254/New-drug-developed-using-compound-red-wine-help-humans-live-150.html)

ktrainXr
03-11-2013, 09:48 AM
We had done some testing at OSU awhile ago. I'll have to see if I can dig up the reports/publications, but as I recall, administration of the pure pure trans resveratrol isomer was not as effective as expected. Rather, there was a required synergistic effect of the various phytochemicals found in natural sources to get the best health benifits. Anyway, I think they could claim rights to a delivery method or extraction process, but couldnt' do much otherwise in preventing supplement companies from marketing resveratrol products from a natural source.

Glaxo is dealing with a synthetic form though, so it's possible they could patent that, however, they better be damn careful how they market it... BBC News - GlaxoSmithKline to pay $3bn in US drug fraud scandal (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18673220)

szary
03-16-2013, 05:06 PM
res 100 by wicked supplements has a piperine as inducer for absorption - seams like a good idea since piperine is widely used with allowing other polyphenols (like curcumin)to do that, also I've read something about transdermal resveratrol - is that pathway better than oral?

O.N.
03-16-2013, 10:19 PM
res 100 by wicked supplements has a piperine as inducer for absorption - seams like a good idea since piperine is widely used with allowing other polyphenols (like curcumin)to do that, also I've read something about transdermal resveratrol - is that pathway better than oral?

Here is some info for you about absorption of resveratrol with piperine.

Below is a study from the University of Illinois where they tested absorption rates for resveratrol when combined with piperine, the results were amazing to say the least.

Enhancing the bioavailability of resveratrol by combining it with piperine.
Department of Pharmacy Practice, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA.

METHODS AND RESULTS:
Employing a standardized LC/MS assay, we determined the effect of piperine co-administration with resveratrol on serum levels resveratrol and resveratrol-3-O-β-D-glucuronide in C57BL mice. Mice were administered resveratrol (100 mg/kg; oral gavage) or resveratrol (100 mg/kg; oral gavage)+piperine (10 mg/kg; oral gavage), and the serum levels of resveratrol and resveratrol-3-O-β-D-glucuronide were analyzed at different times. We found that the degree of exposure (i.e. AUC) to resveratrol was enhanced to 229% and the maximum serum concentration (C(max)) was increased to 1544% with the addition of piperine.

CONCLUSION: Our study demonstrated that piperine significantly improves the in vivo bioavailability of resveratrol. However, further detailed research is needed to study the mechanism of improved bioavailability of resveratrol via its combination with piperine as well as its effect on resveratrol metabolism.
Copyright © 2011 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
Source: Enhancing the bioavailability of resveratr... [Mol Nutr Food Res. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21714124)

szary
03-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Source: Enhancing the bioavailability of resveratr... [Mol Nutr Food Res. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21714124)

You should mention that absorbing polyphenols is no easy task not only because they won't easily penetrate into bloodsteam they also have some problems in dissolving in water based solution of your gut.There was some discussion about mainly containing chrisin tincture of propolis in my native Poland. In the end taking capsules with dry ash-like powder(with huge chunks not grinded) of some polyphenols (like the Chinese manufacturers sell)is the worst way to absorb them - proper solution of polyphenols in water should be white /non transparent emulsion - it that environment they actually have small sizes or high area of contact which enable them easier to move into the bloodstream .This res 100 has instead of alcohol-based solution addition of emulsifier. Never thought about this that way

O.N.
03-17-2013, 09:53 AM
@szary have a read here this may also be of interest to you which shows resveratrol absorption issues may not be all we think they are: Resveratrol: Bioavailibility Issues are no more (http://www.bodybuildingforums.com.au/online-nutrition/3408-resveratrol-bioavailibility-issues-are-no-more.html)

oceanwild
07-20-2015, 12:18 AM

Below is a study from the University of Illinois where they tested absorption rates for resveratrol when combined with piperine, the results were amazing to say the least.

Enhancing the bioavailability of resveratrol by combining it with piperine.
Department of Pharmacy Practice, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA.

METHODS AND RESULTS:
Employing a standardized LC/MS assay, we determined the effect of piperine co-administration with resveratrol on serum levels resveratrol and resveratrol-3-O-β-D-glucuronide in C57BL mice. Mice were administered resveratrol (100 mg/kg; oral gavage) or resveratrol (100 mg/kg; oral gavage)+piperine (10 mg/kg; oral gavage), and the serum levels of resveratrol and resveratrol-3-O-β-D-glucuronide were analyzed at different times. We found that the degree of exposure (i.e. AUC) to resveratrol was enhanced to 229% and the maximum serum concentration (C(max)) was increased to 1544% with the addition of piperine.

CONCLUSION: Our study demonstrated that piperine significantly improves the in vivo bioavailability of resveratrol. However, further detailed research is needed to study the mechanism of improved bioavailability of resveratrol via its combination with piperine as well as its effect on resveratrol metabolism.
Copyright © 2011 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.

thx for the post, :) Piperine (http://www.best-dietary-supplements.com/)can enhance the pharmacokinetic parameters of resveratrol via inhibiting its glucuronidation, thereby slowing its elimination.
Piperine can stimulate pigmentation in the skin, together with the exposure to UVB light.

WesleyInman
07-20-2015, 10:52 AM
Very interesting read and discussion :)

SoCal-Nutrition
07-21-2015, 12:02 PM
yes, thanks for bumping this thread :)