PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Steroids Harden Muscles?

nate3993
03-14-2013, 01:16 PM
So why do they? I guess maybe this isn't a real simple question, but I'm curious. I know not only being on cycle, but also having a solid amount of carbs can make ur muscles harder, but what mechanism is it that makes ur muscles hard? Thanks

burlyman30
03-14-2013, 01:40 PM
So why do they? I guess maybe this isn't a real simple question, but I'm curious. I know not only being on cycle, but also having a solid amount of carbs can make ur muscles harder, but what mechanism is it that makes ur muscles hard? Thanks

Using the analogy of a balloon, the more air you put into the balloon, the harder and tighter it gets. If you fill your muscles up with glycogen, something that steroids are known for, you will have the same result.

Androgenic substances will also act on the muscle fibers. They allow them to have a higher contractile strength. So, when you flex them, they can actually flex harder than before.

There maybe other factors in play as well, but none that I can think of off hand or am aware of.

nate3993
03-14-2013, 02:01 PM
I knew glycogen had something to do with it. Thanks for the quick response!

Rodja
03-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Increased nitrogen retention and glycogen storage.

Trauma1
03-27-2013, 08:13 AM
Spot on. The newly amassed glycogen formation/retention will shift more fluid to the intracellular compartment; which will be further enhanced as muscle tissue density increases throughout the anabolic process.

Creatine acts in similar ways, but not nearly as pronounced or adversely affected like creatine is when outside vasoactive or volume influencing substances are introduced (e.g., caffeine, diuretics, catecholamines, etc.)

Many anabolic substances are also linked to significantly increased blood volume effects which will certainly enhance the whole process (e.g., Anadrol.) Keep in mind, this can be a bad thing as well; especially those with underlying comorbidities or health issues. These type of factors will frequently cause increased blood pressure issues.

There are so many other underlying factors at play as well with nitrogen retention, cortisol mitigation, etc.

-T1

BoneDaddy
03-27-2013, 08:31 AM
Holy Shyt!! It's T1!!!

3clipsegt
03-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Very nice post T1!