PDA

View Full Version : Lockouts for bigger bench

Dcabedo
03-16-2013, 05:10 PM
Anybody have much experience with lockouts on bench? looking to add this into my routine and wanted some input from others who have actually done this before.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Sorrow
03-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Interesting sig.

I do a fair amount of "lockout" work. High board work, shirt work, and the occasional overload with a 7 second hold.
Are you asking how often to do lockouts, or overload? What does your current training look like?

Dcabedo
03-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Huh...didnt realize there was more forms of lockout. A friend of mine suggested it and I didnt quite understand. I would want to know How often and how i should use em. My current training is 5 days on, 1 day for cardio and abs, and 1 day off. 1 muscle group each day..

Sorrow
03-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Yeah in my opinion there's a few different techniques to it.
In my case maybe once a month we overload with a static hold or just a 1" movement on the bench or squat. It's not something you want to do often as it overloads the CNS. Typically we follow that with lighter loads "deload" the following week.

The other technique that could be considered lockout work is high board presses. We bench of boards on our chest that limit us to the top portion of the bench motion. This allows us to condition our joints for a target load. In the absence of good partners or boards you can setup in a power rack with the stops set high.

Thats my two primary answers for you. I consider those to both be lockout techniques. Not saying those are the only ones, or only ways. Just some of the things I do. I'm sure others will have different views and information for you.

Dcabedo
03-16-2013, 06:51 PM
Much appreciated brother! I look forward to see the results i get from these techniques.

Rodja
03-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Huh...didnt realize there was more forms of lockout. A friend of mine suggested it and I didnt quite understand. I would want to know How often and how i should use em. My current training is 5 days on, 1 day for cardio and abs, and 1 day off. 1 muscle group each day..

Here's the main problem. PLing is about training movements and not muscles.

Sorrow
03-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Here's the main problem. PLing is about training movements and not muscles.

What he said

Also it occurred to me while we were training today that
"lockout" id also used as term to define the final range of movement in the lift. So while your buddy may have referred to a specific movement, I tend to think of that as being the last few inches of the actual lift itself. Might be a slight miscommunication there. Perhaps ask him for clarification on that. Post up what movement if he is talking about a specific exercise.

Dcabedo
03-17-2013, 01:42 PM
PLing? He pretty much told me to just watch this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJxsKdez_OU&feature=youtu.be

Dcabedo
03-17-2013, 01:55 PM
PLing is about training movements and not muscles.

ahh...just got what you meant right now. Im a little slow. haha

Sorrow
03-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Yeah thats basically what I was trying to explain earlier. Thats one method for working the lockout. Just be careful not to over do it, and DO NOT use crappy form. Just because you are doing a modified movement/partial you still need to setup, try and get a good bar path, arch.. all of it. Treat it exactly as you would a normal bench press attempt.

Weight wise I'm not sure what to suggest, but if your doing that exact exercise I would suggest working up to your goal weight, not too far over your current max. Say if you bench 350 use 375-400lbs. Again do the lift right, or don't do it.

Dcabedo
03-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Right, understood. So just to make sure I fully understand, I would do these lockouts probably at the beginning of the month and then for the following weeks i would go back to normal weight while still climbing up. And hopefully, if I perform everything correctly and not injure myself, my numbers should shoot up yeah!?

Sorrow
03-17-2013, 05:34 PM
its a progressive loading of the cns and the various joints/connecting tissue. once a month is a good starting point especialy if your not using a bench shirt to protect your shoulders and rotator. Wouldn't say your numbers will shoot up, thats more a function of your total training plan and execution. But when done in a controlled fashion this will help with the end of the movement and also helps keep the bar steady in your hands during the handoff. What are your bench numbers now? Also I was assuming raw lifting but do you use any equipment? If so what type/vendor?

Dcabedo
03-17-2013, 05:45 PM
I am ashamed to say that I have the chest of a 12 year old girl. Chest is actually my weakest point. Right now im pushing about 225 and the max i ever hit was 315. And this is all raw. Only equipment I used for bench were wrist support straps from harbinger but I stopped using em a while back, didnt feel i needed them anymore. DB press is alot easier for me though...I could get up to the 125's for a couple sets on a good day.

Sorrow
03-17-2013, 06:39 PM
Start a log here.
Its not so much about what weight you're benching now, its all about what you will be benching later! Based on that info I'd say attempt 275 in a power rack, if that goes well take a shot at 315 again. Don't try again for another week or two. Make sure you allow time to recover. Be careful with this type of exercise, many people over emphasize at the end of the lift and roll their shoulders forward to try and sell the lift. This exposes the shoulders to injury for no real gain. Keep your shoulder blades together and pinned against the bench.

Also don't worry to much about chest, as your technique increases you will learn how important your triceps are to the bench.

Dcabedo
03-17-2013, 11:28 PM
Right on...ill finish off this month with my routine and ill switch it up and start logging it down...Im looking to make the switch from the usual routine to more of a powerlfting /strongman type deal...any advice on that?

Sorrow
03-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Well there's a wide open field to choose from actually. I mean my approach is different then say Rodja's. Both would probably get you results but it's two different methodologies. Thats the good and bad part, in that if you get bored there's always a different way to go about training. Problem is guys tend to change to often and not give the program they are on a chance to develop.

Some general program changes I would suggest are too focus on a particular lift during a training session, not body parts. So instead of saying I'm doing chest/tris on monday your working on your bench on monday. Prioritize benching by doing the bench first when your fresh and can perform it with proper form and technique. Then move onto some accessory work that has direct carry over to the bench. Same with legs day would become squat day, and back and bis would be deadlift day. Do the primary movement first, warm up properly too.

Next change would be that your probably doing more reps at a lighter weight then a powerlifter would. Focus on the 5 rep range to start out and use a heavier weight that allows you to complete all five reps but not too easily. And whenever possible have a spotter! Especially on bench and squats as you will be surprised how fast you can loose a lift when the tricps or hamstrings get fatigued!

If yu get bored check out my log, and Rodja's log in the training section to get some ideas.
Stay healthy, train smart, and you will improve quickly.