PDA

View Full Version : Treating and controlling ADHD

Cobalt
03-18-2013, 11:55 AM
I figured this may be the best place for said discussion, please relocate if not.

Like many warm blooded Americans, I have ADHD. The difference between me and 80% of the other people diagnosed with it is that I actually have a physiological error that causes chemical imbalances resulting in the ADHD, which isn't the case with the 80% that needs a good ass kicking to stop being so lazy.

That being said, I've had it treated in the past with medication, but with medicine becoming so expensive and f*cking hard to get a steady supply from a doctor (you have to get new prescriptions for almost all meds, no refills), I just got off of medication years ago.

I've been pretty fine without it, but with an upcoming major job relocation into a larger facility with my division manager, I'm going to need a little boost that isn't simply caffeine.

I've thought about jumping back on Adderall, which worked wonders, but it is outside my budget right now. There are other medications, but nothing easier/cheaper than the Adderall option.

Which brings me to the point of this thread (thank you to those who haven't bailed already). Does anyone have experience dealing with ADHD without straight up medication? Are there certain vitamins/minerals that can help? What about supplements? I've been scouting through some supplement options, and a bottle (typically a month supply) of anything out there is cheaper than my co-pay to get a month of any ADHD meds.

Thanks for any input.

weekend
03-18-2013, 12:01 PM
my adhd seems to be greatly reduced when i use DHT compounds. i don't really believe in ADHD as a disorder, more an excuse to peddle drugs to those who's brain types don't work well with our society...

but i have a prescription for dexedrine and have had prescriptions for adderall and desoxyn as well.

cardio and lifting helps too.

- - - Updated - - -

avoiding marijuana always helps... but who wants to do that!?

weekend
03-18-2013, 12:10 PM
oh yeah, endoamp max seemed to help me too

Macdon1588
03-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Nicotine mints work for me. I had Adderal and I agree the shit is amazing, but the nicorrette 2mil lozenges every four to six hours gives a nice boost. I suppose you could use them more frequently than that, but I haven't yet. Also, I supplement with agmatine sulfate ever since I tried it and discovered how well it worked for me.

Macdon1588
03-18-2013, 12:12 PM
oh yeah, endoamp max seemed to help me too

I second this.

weekend
03-18-2013, 12:38 PM
nicotine gum i have been using for the last 2 weeks to see what's up with fat loss effects. 2 mg 2x a day, i feel that it helps for about 40 minutes and may have a rebound effect that lasts longer than that. i think overall i'm more clear headed without it... havent decided yet but regardless wont be using long term lol

Macdon1588
03-18-2013, 12:49 PM
my adhd seems to be greatly reduced when i use DHT compounds. i don't really believe in ADHD as a disorder, more an excuse to peddle drugs to those who's brain types don't work well with our society...

but i have a prescription for dexedrine and have had prescriptions for adderall and desoxyn as well.

cardio and lifting helps too.

- - - Updated - - -

avoiding marijuana always helps... but who wants to do that!?

It's interesting that you say this about DHT compounds. I was thinking that something like dermacrine might work nicely. I figure that most mental imbalances are chemical. I really liked the androenhance stuff for the mental effect as much as any other reason. The best that I have ever felt was with 1-t topical, which makes me think that dhea compounds and pregnenolone topically applied would be the ideal situation to boost mental energy and clarity.

longBallLima
03-18-2013, 12:50 PM
does it seem odd that so many people need to treat ADHD?

plus, shit, if pot aggravates your medical condition and you can't stop using it...adhd may not be the biggest of your problrems ;)

weekend
03-18-2013, 12:58 PM
that was a joke, but i quit for extended periods fairly frequently.

as for topical dhea/preg... dermacrine sure made me do stuff but it also made me edgy and basically had as much sides as adderall though just mental not physical.

szary
03-18-2013, 02:50 PM
that was a joke, but i quit for extended periods fairly frequently.

as for topical dhea/preg... dermacrine sure made me do stuff but it also made me edgy and basically had as much sides as adderall though just mental not physical.
DHEA is neuroprotective - there're some studies linking lack of it(especially in older women) to alzheimer's desease, But if the dermacrine ads don't lie it suppose to enter bloodstream as another compound?

Cobalt
03-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Interesting on the DHEA part, I'll have to look into it.

I do feel MUCH better if I'm running a cycle, but I can't do that all the time.

Caffeine is awesome, but burns off quickly.

szary
03-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Interesting on the DHEA part, I'll have to look into it.

I do feel MUCH better if I'm running a cycle, but I can't do that all the time.

Caffeine is awesome, but burns off quickly.

not only DHEA from common bodybuiling supps is neuroprotective , TUDCA in some studies was also found to do that, although TUDCA is derivative of cholesterol and therefore could act like steroids including DHEA in some circumstances
caffeine - try mix it withhordenine - some experience longer boost from mixing them, also to lower the side effects you can add l-theanine

markam
03-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Endoamp's main ingredient was Phosphatidylserine which can bought as a bulk powder (more cost effective). I wouldn't exceed 300mgs a day and I find that one dose of 200mgs works well.

ADD and ADHD Explained | Poliquin Article (http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/705/ADD_and_ADHD_Explained.aspx)

Vitalize Your Brain: Essential Supplements for ADHD | Poliquin Article (http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/706/Vitalize_Your_Brain_Essential_Supplements_for_ADHD .aspx)

Store it in the fridge. I wouldn't bother capping it, just use digital scales you can buy on amazon.

Not sure if this idea may be useful, (but I'd try it): Geonomyx make a preworkout with Rhodiola Rosea, theanine, Dicaffeine Malate. It's called origin, and the energy is quite smooth and you could just take a half or less serving as a boost when required, just an idea. It's called Origin and doesn't contain Creatine.

xxiv
03-18-2013, 07:06 PM
what symptoms are you suffering from?

O_RYAN_007
03-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Ever try Axon or demiurge? Both gave me great mental focus and seemed to work very similarly to adder all for me. I'd try one or the other to figure which one works better for you. Axon worked great for me, i liked it better than demiurge. But the latter also worked to keep me focused.

Cobalt
03-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Ever try Axon or demiurge? Both gave me great mental focus and seemed to work very similarly to adder all for me. I'd try one or the other to figure which one works better for you. Axon worked great for me, i liked it better than demiurge. But the latter also worked to keep me focused.

Axon - still have a little bit left. It is great, but I find that it burns off a bit too quickly. It is fantastic for a pre-wo stim, but doesn't hang on as long as I would like. Demiurge is at the top of the list to try, I just wanted to get some more information from others to see if I'm overlooking something that is commonly used.

what symptoms are you suffering from?

I can't stay engaged with anything that I do. I get really bored with stuff, or I don't even want to bother working on a project.
Now, if I down a cup of coffee, I'll get right into anything. But once the coffee wears off after a couple hours, I crash back into the non-focused mode.
Normally this isn't an issue. Its not about not wanting to do something, I just can't bring myself to get into something for fear of not finishing. Which is the second big symptom - I don't finish projects. If it is something quick and easy that can get done in under an hour, no problem. Anything longer than that requires more coffee and time. Or it just sits on my desk and stares at me.

A good example is a computer that I'm building right now. I'm fabricating the case for it because it is a custom design. It isn't a simple bolt-and-go design, I'm cutting and milling aluminium and acrylite around parts for a really tight fit. Normally, I'd be working on this for hours on end, not wanting to stop until I finish.
So far, I've only put about 10 hours into it over the span of 2 weeks. I just can't get into it. I'll down some coffee, get fired up and go at it for an hour or two, then just lose interest.

I also forget a lot of stuff. Short term memory is almost non-existent. Someone can be talking to me and once they walk away, I forgot what was going on.

xxiv
03-18-2013, 09:12 PM
I can't stay engaged with anything that I do.

what are your other hobbies? how do you spend your time when you are not working?

Cobalt
03-18-2013, 10:21 PM
what are your other hobbies? how do you spend your time when you are not working?

I'm a mechanic for work, so my hobbies are the gym, anything and everything computer/electrical engineering. I play some video games on the side, but not a lot.

My ADHD "flares up" I guess you could say, causing me to go through time periods where I'm like I am now. I know it'll pass, but with the work changes coming up, I can't just wait it out like normal.

SoCal-Nutrition
03-19-2013, 01:01 AM
after my recent encounters with Demiurge, this was the first thing that came to mind.

Cobalt, if you're interested in a demiurge sample, I have an open bottle and would be happy to send you a zip lock bag of a couple servings. if that interests you, just shoot me a PM.

Fat Bill Dwyer
03-19-2013, 07:10 AM

^this. Who the hell can stand doing office "work" for 8-12 hours a day? Nobody with testicles. PEA focuses me up real nice, but I gain a tolerance rapidly.

xxiv
03-19-2013, 07:26 AM
I'm a mechanic for work, so my hobbies are the gym, anything and everything computer/electrical engineering. I play some video games on the side, but not a lot.

if you can focus on hobbies like those chances are you can focus at work.
i have been having concentration/focus/time commitment issues lately myself. i have cut back on my internetting and started playing more music and a new instrument and it has helped.

good luck

DJM
03-19-2013, 07:38 AM
i have been having concentration/focus/time commitment issues lately myself. i have cut back on my internetting and started playing more music and a new instrument and it has helped.

good luck

best answer^^^

Cobalt
03-19-2013, 08:44 AM

good luck

This is true 100%, BUT even my hobbies are a drag.

Gym is really suffering right now. I usually can't wait to hit the weights, but in the past couple weeks, I almost have to force myself to go.

My Electrical/Computer stuff is also at a near stand-still. I have an amplifier that I've been building. I haven't touched it since January.

It could be something else, all of this may be an effect of something bigger. I'm still open to ideas, but I had to become active toward dealing with this.

Cobalt
03-21-2013, 07:03 AM
Went ahead and bought a bottle of Demiurge (from our awesome sponsor, SolCal Nutrition). Hopefully I'll have it in by the weekend so I can get started on it.

I also found my bottle of Axon, it had 4 pills left in it so I popped two of them. I can honestly say that I felt a lot better after taking it than I have in a while. I even started on a new project last night... which may not end up well, lol.

h2s
03-21-2013, 10:48 AM
I experimented with a bit of everything, nothing will match adderall.

SoCal-Nutrition
03-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Went ahead and bought a bottle of Demiurge (from our awesome sponsor, SolCal Nutrition). Hopefully I'll have it in by the weekend so I can get started on it.

I also found my bottle of Axon, it had 4 pills left in it so I popped two of them. I can honestly say that I felt a lot better after taking it than I have in a while. I even started on a new project last night... which may not end up well, lol.

I just followed up, ETA Saturday...was really hoping for Friday. Sorry bud!

Cobalt
03-22-2013, 12:18 PM

Can't win them all. No rush though, I'm at work all day today and tomorrow. I'll have it soon enough.

- - - Updated - - -

I can agree with this. Having been on it before (and still having some 10mg caps on my shelf) I know it is the best of the best.

But I'm fine with the 2nd or 3rd runner up.

Cobalt
03-22-2013, 09:05 PM

It got delivered today, you liar! lol

SoCal-Nutrition
03-23-2013, 12:05 AM
sweet, will be looking forward to some feedback

Broly
03-23-2013, 12:29 AM

Same here... I will say that after having used Adderall, and being able to experience what it's like to focus like a "normal" person, that now I have a better handle on it than I did before. I don't take the Adderall anymore, maybe 6 or 7 times a year when I REALLY NEED to be on my game. Having used it in the past and experiencing what focus really is.... well now a 5HR energy can help me come close on a good day. But still nothing that competitively rivals Adderall.

***Edit***

I stopped taking the Adderall because I can't keep weight on with it... it just eats away at all my hard work in the gym.

h2s
03-23-2013, 07:40 AM
I stopped taking the Adderall because I can't keep weight on with it... it just eats away at all my hard work in the gym.

Very true, unfortunately.

Macdon1588
03-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Same here... I will say that after having used Adderall, and being able to experience what it's like to focus like a "normal" person, that now I have a better handle on it than I did before. I don't take the Adderall anymore, maybe 6 or 7 times a year when I REALLY NEED to be on my game. Having used it in the past and experiencing what focus really is.... well now a 5HR energy can help me come close on a good day. But still nothing that competitively rivals Adderall.

***Edit***

I wonder why that is. I agree that you can't get anywhere strength/weight wise. I wish there was someway to counteract it.

Cobalt
04-11-2013, 07:11 AM
Just to keep you all in the know, I've been playing with the Demiurge over the past couple weeks and will be posting an update here in the next few days. Just need a little more time to get a good feel for it.

I wonder why that is.
Adderall overclocks your metabolism like crazy, so putting ON weight is very hard. I've known people to go on it with no changes in diet and they went from 170 to 130.