PDA

View Full Version : Desiccated Liver Tabs

Dr. Fever
03-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Does this old school supplement have any users today? It still seems to get really good ratings in some articles I have read. Beverly International being one of the best.

Rulk
03-25-2013, 06:01 PM
I used to use it a lot years ago. Tried it again last year and I did use Beverly's version. Too many variables to factor in, but with all the supps I was taking, along with a super clean diet and working out, I saw really good results. Just too hard to pinpoint the supps contribution. Definetly couldn't hurt to use it.

Dr. Fever
03-26-2013, 01:09 AM
Thanks Noa. Anyone else?

rockstarjacked
03-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Beverly International's "Ultra-40" 500ct cost $37. Universal Nutrition's "Uni-Liver" 500ct costs $25. I'm curious why there is a $12 difference between these products?? I've never supplemented with desiccated liver tablets, though I have only ever heard positive feedback. The liver tablets just never made sense to me when I could eat steak or eggs for what I believe to be the same nutritional value. It seems to me the desiccated liver tabs are mainly just extra calories (from protein) and naturally-occurring vitamins (mostly B)... so if you can afford them, go for it. You probably came to this same conclusion, but if not, I figured my common sense logic could be helpful.

DJM
03-26-2013, 12:58 PM
beverly is pricey across the board
universal is one of the fairly priced major brands

Rulk
03-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Universal is g2g. I like beverly a little bit better, and I get a discount, ala my brother is a distributor for em.

Dr. Fever
03-27-2013, 12:38 AM
From what I read Universals tabs are huge horse pills that taste like they came from the south end of the horse. lol
Review: Desiccated Liver Tablets - (http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/4594/)

LBC-83
03-27-2013, 12:57 PM
You only have to put it in your mouth and swallow.

From what I read Universals tabs are huge horse pills that taste like they came from the south end of the horse. lol
Review: Desiccated Liver Tablets - (http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/4594/)

Dr. Fever
03-27-2013, 06:03 PM
You only have to put it in your mouth and swallow.
Have you used them? Some people chew them thinking they wont come out as a bed pan bullet.

DJM
03-27-2013, 06:08 PM
iv used, swallowing is the way to go

*cant believe i typed that now that im reading it back

milehighguy
03-27-2013, 07:06 PM

always solid advice around this place...:D

Freepressright
03-27-2013, 07:24 PM

LMAO!

O_RYAN_007
03-27-2013, 07:28 PM

gaw dog!!?? Lmao!

- - - Updated - - -

GAW DOG!!?? LMAO!

Rulk
03-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Universal's liver tabs are freakin huge. Bev's liver tabs are smaller and look neat, in contrast. Uni's tabs don't come out as well as Bev's either. Trust me, I looked.

DJM
03-27-2013, 07:42 PM
noa, chew? or swallow?

O_RYAN_007
03-27-2013, 08:49 PM
noa, chew? or swallow?

Sounds like a setup to me GUYS!

Rulk
03-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Straight to suppository

pman42
03-27-2013, 11:21 PM
This is funny, I was just going to post about Vince Gironda's supplements. he was a big proponent of dessicated liver, saying that it and a dozen fertile eggs were equal to dianabol. never tried either so i cannot comment, but he certainly was a man of very strong opinions.

i've been meaning to give uni-liver a go, but then i think, why not just eat liver? i get it grassfed from a local farmer

burlyman30
03-27-2013, 11:32 PM

Really sorry I missed the opportunity to comment on this earlier today...

burlyman30
03-27-2013, 11:38 PM
On Liver tabs... I had heard that Beverly's were higher grain per tab and tasted much better. Can't say personally. Liver tabs have always been a head scratcher to me. The old school guys used to swear by them. Beyond iron and B vitamins, it's just protein, so as long as you aren't iron or B vitamin deficient, I don't see the allure. But I still wonder why the old school guys loved them. Taste of liver makes me gag, so I never could buy them knowing I would waste money on something I couldn't ingest.

Rulk
03-28-2013, 12:47 AM
You don't chew em, you take em like a pill. The are presses into a tablet and coated, so it goes down easier and does not emite a smell really, or a flavor.

Dr. Fever
03-28-2013, 02:50 AM

Thats freakin' hilarious!!

Dr. Fever
03-28-2013, 02:56 AM
You don't chew em, you take em like a pill. The are presses into a tablet and coated, so it goes down easier and does not emite a smell really, or a flavor.
How many a day Mr. Suppository? lol

Avl
03-29-2013, 01:08 PM
i like bev better that uni- and if you check the label, its just a better product. i was taking 10-20 a day at one point. i was anemic as a kid and if im feeling low on energy now and then, ill buy some. in college i used powder- wow, worst tasting stuff ever. you almost had to drink it with pineapple juice to mask it- nothing else even worked a bit to hid the taste.

pman42
03-29-2013, 08:27 PM
the old bodybuilding texts stated that liver had some unidentified 'growth factor'. i don't know if this was ever substantiated scientifically

anab0lix
04-24-2013, 10:09 PM
I've been using the Uni-Liver for a long time now. It's just vitamins and some protein packed in a big tab. However I can down a handful of those so it is very nice to have through out the day for me. Now that Universal came out with the Beef Amino tabs I take a few of those and a few of the uni-livers few times a day after meals or when I have no time for a quick snack/meal.

burlyman30
04-24-2013, 10:33 PM
I've been using the Uni-Liver for a long time now. It's just vitamins and some protein packed in a big tab. However I can down a handful of those so it is very nice to have through out the day for me. Now that Universal came out with the Beef Amino tabs I take a few of those and a few of the uni-livers few times a day after meals or when I have no time for a quick snack/meal.

Do you feel any effects from the liver or beef tablets or do you take them more as an insurance policy for positive nitrogen balance?

anab0lix
04-24-2013, 11:41 PM
Quite honestly I can't really say I feel anything special off them. But yeah just take it for extra protein and vtamins+minerals.

I think they are quite handy when you can't eat anything and you are at least getting in 3-9g of protein(depending on how much you can take down) till your next meal. I could down a whole animal pak, a few of the beef/liver tabs, and fish oil gel caps at one go lol. So for me I love them.

nate3993
04-24-2013, 11:46 PM
i just started the universal beef aminos. i like em. i see it like taking a protein supp to get a lil extra protein in to get you to your mark. it has the same amount of aminos in it as 100 grams of beef, which is about 4 oz's of meat, which would be 28 grams of protein. so it has the same amount of aminos as 28 grams of protein in just 3 pills.

burlyman30
04-25-2013, 12:25 AM
i just started the universal beef aminos. i like em. i see it like taking a protein supp to get a lil extra protein in to get you to your mark. it has the same amount of aminos in it as 100 grams of beef, which is about 4 oz's of meat, which would be 28 grams of protein. so it has the same amount of aminos as 28 grams of protein in just 3 pills.

Not sure how they can claim that there is equivalent to 28g of protein in 3 pills...:confused:

anab0lix
04-25-2013, 12:33 AM
Nate I'm pretty sure you are interpreting that wrong?

On amino profile it means per 100g of the liver tabs equals to that amount of aminos listed.

burlyman30
04-25-2013, 12:36 AM
Are the Beef Aminos chewable? If so, how do they taste?

anab0lix
04-25-2013, 12:41 AM
No they are not lol. Many have tried this in the past and possibly present but they all said it tastes like ass. I personally never have chewed one up so I can't tell you my self. I personally don't mind cooked liver though so probably won't help you anyways. If you can chew on bitter medicines or just have an iron stomach I'm sure you could do it.

burlyman30
04-25-2013, 12:54 AM
lol.. ok, good to know. I wouldn't mind something like the liver or beef tabs throughout the day, but I need something chewable that is economical. Beef jerky isn't too bad, but costs a fortune. I'll go through a $15 bag in one sitting and then wonder why I didn't just go buy a steak.

anab0lix
04-25-2013, 01:11 AM
Hahaha very true.

nate3993
04-26-2013, 01:41 AM
Nate I'm pretty sure you are interpreting that wrong?

On amino profile it means per 100g of the liver tabs equals to that amount of aminos listed.

Ok. So it lists the protein as 3 grams, but where it shows it's amino acid profile, this is exactly what it says on top of it's Amino Acid profile. "Grams of amino acids in 100g of beef protein" so if it has the same amount of amino acids as 100 grams of beef protein, which is about 4 oz, then technically it should the same amount of aminos as 28grams of protein.

And to burly. Vitamin shoppe had a sale. 13 bucks for 66 servings.

burlyman30
04-26-2013, 02:17 AM
Ok. So it lists the protein as 3 grams, but where it shows it's amino acid profile, this is exactly what it says on top of it's Amino Acid profile. "Grams of amino acids in 100g of beef protein" so if it has the same amount of amino acids as 100 grams of beef protein, which is about 4 oz, then technically it should the same amount of aminos as 28grams of protein.

And to burly. Vitamin shoppe had a sale. 13 bucks for 66 servings.

I think you are extrapolating something that is a bit misleading. 100g of protein is = 100 g of aminos once that protein is broken down in the body. The label is not claiming that there is 100 grams in the bottle. It is saying that if you took 100 grams of that product, then this is what the ratio of aminos would look like.

If protein content (or amino content) is 3g per 2 pills (per label, had to look it up), then you'll need 16 tabs to get 24 g of protein.