PDA

View Full Version : Athlete cycle vs bodybuilder cycle

03-29-2013, 12:52 AM
Hi guys, I used to be a lurker on the old PP boards, and I always felt like the information you guys contributed was far above the normal keyboard warrior. So, I come to you all for help on questions I just can't seem to find a solid answer to. What are the differences between athlete and bodybuilder cycles?

For athletes needing explosive power and agility along with good conditioning (weight gain is acceptable but not the main goal), what can they get the most benefit from? This is just going off what I've read, but....

Dianabol and Anavar can cause painful muscle pumps, forcing a lower volume of work. Not a good idea, especially when it comes to conditioning workouts.

Winstrol causes joint issues, which in my opinion is a deal breaker for anyone participating in contact sports.

Tren causes a reduction in cardiovascular conditioning.

Deca/EQ are detectable for too long.

It seems like the only thing worth using is test. Am I correct in this conclusion? Would the dosage be the same? Did I overlook something potentially useful?

I've also heard of athletes going on short (2-3 week) cycles, but most of what I've read here says you'll lose all the gains when you go off. It makes sense to me, but that's also mainly talking about muscle mass. Does the theory also hold water for an athlete's goals?

Thanks for any help. Like I said before, you guys are the most knowledgeable group I've found. I know I'll get good advice here or at least be pointed in the right direction.

DJM
03-29-2013, 07:21 AM
im quite sure athletes are fond of var and eq

Rodja
03-29-2013, 09:13 AM
This is going to be subjective on the sport of the particular athlete. Generally, though, doses will be the main difference as recovery is the primary objective for PED usage and not sheer LBM gains.

burlyman30
03-29-2013, 09:43 AM
The amount of compound needed for increased healing and recovery is one thing whereas amounts leading to significant hypertrophy would tend to be higher. Anavar can be taken at 10mg/day to speed recovery without creating debilitating muscle pumps but someone looking to build muscle will likely start at 4-5x that amount.

"The Clear" was used very successfully in athletes, and it is a tren-like compound. But the amounts they were using were very small in comparison to what a BBer would use. It produced lean and muscular physiques without having the deleterious affects on the cardiovascular system.

HGH, in the same fashion, can be used for increased healing, but when taken in higher amounts can result in unwanted organ growth.

When I think athlete, I think "recovery", not hypertrophy. Low doses of AAS/PHs can accomplish this with very little worry of side effects. Yes, there will still be some hypertrophy associated with the training they do. Muscle strength will increase. Possibly some size, too. But not the type we would associate with steroid induced growth.

nate3993
03-29-2013, 05:52 PM
i'll tell u man. i'm not into sports one bit. i follow ifbb bb'ing, and that's it. but every once and a while i'll see pics of a pro football player and they're massive, veiny arms scream pretty decent use. i don't just mean a big, bulky arm, i mean a very big, very ripped, very veiny arm. i'm guessing some of these guys are juicing for quite a bit more than just a few weeks.

Rodja
03-29-2013, 07:08 PM
i'll tell u man. i'm not into sports one bit. i follow ifbb bb'ing, and that's it. but every once and a while i'll see pics of a pro football player and they're massive, veiny arms scream pretty decent use. i don't just mean a big, bulky arm, i mean a very big, very ripped, very veiny arm. i'm guessing some of these guys are juicing for quite a bit more than just a few weeks.

I'm not saying that there's not a high chance of AAS usage, but they don't have 20" arms and we're also dealing some of the most genetically gifted humans on the planet.

DJM
03-29-2013, 07:22 PM
^^^ this
iv heard from reliable source that testing is tough enough that only a cruise dose of test and hgh (which they now test for)could pass in season

not anyone can play football, prob the sport with the most genetically gifted athletes

burlyman30
03-29-2013, 09:23 PM
not anyone can play football, prob the sport with the most genetically gifted athletes

Genetically gifted physically maybe. Not necessarily mentally. ;)

Grape Ape
03-30-2013, 07:02 AM
lol^^

03-30-2013, 11:01 AM
DJM, I've heard the same, especially about anavar. It's supposedly popular with boxers, but I couldn't understand how they'd be able to throw punches for so long once the delt pump sets in. I thought maybe they just weren't smart, haha.

Rodja, how sport specific is it? I kept my original post as general as possible to see if there was a consensus for all people seeking performance enhancement, but I thought it would only depend on 1) the sport's cardio needs, and 2) if they need to stay in a weight class.

Burlyman, I didn't know The Clear was similar to tren as far as cardio hit. That's interesting. Tren on paper sounds like the best invention since the miniskirt, but all the horror stories are a little off-putting. You really think prohormones would improve recovery to a similar extent? I figured nothing would compare to AAS.

Nate, I have to agree. That's another part of what led to my confusion. Also have to agree that those guys have ridiculous genetics. I know a guy who plays what we call semi-pro football (after college, but not in the NFL). He squats around 700 pounds, has a lot of muscle mass, and plays running back (a position generally for smaller, faster players). I look at him and I'm like what the fuck.... if this guy couldn't make it to the NFL, there must be absolute monsters playing on Sundays.

Rodja
03-30-2013, 11:11 AM
You have to look at not only the sport itself, but also the position as they will each have different energy system requirements. As a specific position will have specific S&C needs, they will also have different uses for PEDs.

burlyman30
03-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Burlyman, I didn't know The Clear was similar to tren as far as cardio hit. That's interesting. Tren on paper sounds like the best invention since the miniskirt, but all the horror stories are a little off-putting. You really think prohormones would improve recovery to a similar extent? I figured nothing would compare to AAS.

I don't think I stated that the clear was known as a cardio inhibitor, but it is a progesterone, and very similar to tren chemically. You could call it " tren light". What I was saying is that tren at lower doses does not have the cardio effect at lower doses, nor many other sides. Sorry if my earlier statement was confusing. For the record, I don't know about cardio effect of the clear, but it would not surprise me if it had an effect if the dose was high enough.

As far as PH vs. AAS... PHs are just one in vivo conversion away from being an AAS, so yes, they can be extremely effective as a recovery aid. And just like AAS, some are better/stronger than others.

Tren and the miniskirt analogy...

Just like a miniskirt, tren needs to be used properly or no one likes the end result.

Broly
03-30-2013, 11:42 PM
Nate, I have to agree. That's another part of what led to my confusion. Also have to agree that those guys have ridiculous genetics. I know a guy who plays what we call semi-pro football (after college, but not in the NFL). He squats around 700 pounds, has a lot of muscle mass, and plays running back (a position generally for smaller, faster players). I look at him and I'm like what the fuck.... if this guy couldn't make it to the NFL, there must be absolute monsters playing on Sundays.

'Strength' on the field is not the same as strength in the weight room. Jerry Rice was not a 'strong' lifter compared to other WR's or DB's yet he was still faster and more efficient on the field. I'm often envious of my fellow athletes in the weight room because I am not even close to being the 'strongest' but the roles are reversed when we hit the grid iron.

"Sports Science" has actually come up with a new way to measure abilities in the NFL combine... The thinking of current NFL scouts is medieval.

Rodja
03-31-2013, 09:31 AM
'Strength' on the field is not the same as strength in the weight room. Jerry Rice was not a 'strong' lifter compared to other WR's or DB's yet he was still faster and more efficient on the field. I'm often envious of my fellow athletes in the weight room because I am not even close to being the 'strongest' but the roles are reversed when we hit the grid iron.

"Sports Science" has actually come up with a new way to measure abilities in the NFL combine... The thinking of current NFL scouts is medieval.

The only thing that's more annoying and non-applicable than the combine is Sports "Science." There's way too much emphasis on only partially related measurable stats that skew the most important part: the film. JaMarcus Russell had one of the best pro days out there and we all know how that worked (along with Ryan Leaf, Mike Mamula, Tony Mandarich, etc.).

DJM
03-31-2013, 03:30 PM
russell lmao oh man

Broly
03-31-2013, 06:09 PM
The only thing that's more annoying and non-applicable than the combine is Sports "Science."

Just to clarify... I was referring to Sports Science the show

Rodja
03-31-2013, 06:51 PM
Just to clarify... I was referring to Sports Science the show

I know. The show is a joke.

Broly
04-02-2013, 04:37 PM
I know. The show is a joke.

I think it has it's merits... but to each his own.

Rodja
04-02-2013, 08:55 PM
I think it has it's merits... but to each his own.

It's more or less an updated combine-esque show that puts pretty stats and measurements on things that have no real merit. Almost anything in a controlled environment will have very little actual carryover to the game.

Swolesaurus
04-12-2013, 06:00 PM
The only thing that's more annoying and non-applicable than the combine is Sports "Science." There's way too much emphasis on only partially related measurable stats that skew the most important part: the film. JaMarcus Russell had one of the best pro days out there and we all know how that worked (along with Ryan Leaf, Mike Mamula, Tony Mandarich, etc.).

Ryan Leaf...that's a dark chapter in San Diego's history.

USN HM 350Z
04-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Ryan Leaf...that's a dark chapter in San Diego's history.

A dark chapter? Aren't all the chapters in the Chargers book dark?