PDA

View Full Version : Cortisol and localized effects

Macdon1588
04-03-2013, 03:03 PM
So, I read The Cortisol Challenge (http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/4967/the-cortisol-challenge/#more-4967) and other articles which has brought be to the conclusion that, like everything else cortisol has a tissue specific response. It's pretty clear that we need pulses of it which seem to aid in fat loss, but that long term elevation causes all sorts of shitty issues like fat bellies and even stretch marks not to mention the obvious mental effects.

This leads me to ask to group, if a guy who has a high stress job and home life has the fat pattern to suggest elevated cortisol, is a topical application of a cortisol blocker like 7-keto a benefit?

Fat Bill Dwyer
04-03-2013, 06:30 PM
If you're stressed at home the only thing that can help is a divorce.

Macdon1588
04-03-2013, 08:48 PM
No I'm not stressed like that, it's the good stress of being a parent to young kids. My thinking is that reducing cortisol locally will reduce fat without effecting hormone balance.

Fat Bill Dwyer
04-04-2013, 04:36 AM
No I'm not stressed like that, it's the good stress of being a parent to young kids. My thinking is that reducing cortisol locally will reduce fat without effecting hormone balance.

7-keto applied topically couldn't hurt, but I doubt it would have the effects your looking for. Maybe focus on getting good quality sleep? I let the 'ol lady do all the child rearing to keep myself pretty stress free. Works for me, but she's a damn wreck. She keeps talking about how she wants to visit her Canadian friend.

Grape Ape
04-04-2013, 08:37 AM
I don't think controlling cortisol will control stress. Controlling stress however, will help control cortisol.

The idea of using cortisol blockers for fat loss is over exaggerated, and somewhat BS. I've tried lean extreme and 11-KT(twice) and neither had profound fat loss. Even in a calorie deficit, cardio increase, and tight diet. I did enjoy my run with 7-KT. Ot was however, following the 11-KT spray, so it could have been the 8 weeks use of similar products, but like the effects of 7 more than 11. I'd say these would only shine in sub 10% bf type situations, or to maintain after a cut.

I'd manipulate diet, and look towards products more geared towards general fat loss. PES' Alphamine is hot right.now, and atoms can give euphoria which could help you out.

As far as stress goes, I'd work on sleep quality, diet, and maybe a change up to your daily routine. Sometimes a small change in how we're living can do wonders. Find time to do the little things you need. IE: Date night with wifey, or beer at the bar before returning home from work. Something small to look forward too, and remind you why you put up with this stress. I think recognizing stress is the first step.

Tons of sleep, stress and fat loss products our there. I can link to my suggestion if you want.

In the end its lifestyle change.

Fat Bill Dwyer
04-04-2013, 08:49 AM
In the end its lifestyle change.

You dropped the L-bomb!

Macdon1588
04-04-2013, 10:40 AM
I liked 7-kt as well. This article got me thinking about using it again, but I just found out my wife is pregnant with our third child, so I believe I should stay away from transdermal stuff for awhile. I agree with lifestyle changes. I'm just stretched a little thin right now. But, that said, my workouts are good, and my strength gains are doing well. I'm excited to be expecting another child. In thinking about the big picture I realize I have the rest of my life to work on my goals. Leanness is merely one of a couple health goals. Strength is the other and I can say I'm progressing well.

Coolazice
04-04-2013, 10:46 AM
...but I just found out my wife is pregnant with our third child, so I believe I should stay away from transdermal stuff for awhile. I'm excited to be expecting another child.

Congratulations!!! :cool:

KAB111
04-04-2013, 11:06 AM
I am in the same boat as you.... Single income earner for a wife and 4 kids. I do well in the gym and I look pretty good...except in the stomach. Ive tried diet, excersie, reducing cals, upping cardio, hitt, steady state...I cant figure it out...Not horrible, but not where it needs to be. My kids are finally at the ages that i dont have to change dipers and watch their every move so I have been able to hit the gym hard over the last couple of years. Wife swears its stress related and I cant afford to get rid of the stress....If you find something that works it would be awesome if you could share.

BTW.. Congrats on the new baby!

I liked 7-kt as well. This article got me thinking about using it again, but I just found out my wife is pregnant with our third child, so I believe I should stay away from transdermal stuff for awhile. I agree with lifestyle changes. I'm just stretched a little thin right now. But, that said, my workouts are good, and my strength gains are doing well. I'm excited to be expecting another child. In thinking about the big picture I realize I have the rest of my life to work on my goals. Leanness is merely one of a couple health goals. Strength is the other and I can say I'm progressing well.

Macdon1588
04-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Congratulations!!! :cool:

Thank you sir.

Macdon1588
04-04-2013, 01:05 PM
I am in the same boat as you.... Single income earner for a wife and 4 kids. I do well in the gym and I look pretty good...except in the stomach. Ive tried diet, excersie, reducing cals, upping cardio, hitt, steady state...I cant figure it out...Not horrible, but not where it needs to be. My kids are finally at the ages that i dont have to change dipers and watch their every move so I have been able to hit the gym hard over the last couple of years. Wife swears its stress related and I cant afford to get rid of the stress....If you find something that works it would be awesome if you could share.

BTW.. Congrats on the new baby!

Thank you Sir.