PDA

View Full Version : Lower volume/ Higher volume workouts

JM1000
04-05-2013, 12:22 PM
As wee see on most weight-lifting forums, some prefer lower volume workouts vs higher volume. I just want to share this cool part of ''The Black book of Training Secrets" by Christian Thibodeau whom you might know.

People will respond to different stimulation according to their muscle fiber type and he gives a couple ways to find out the average ratio of your muscle fiber type:

Simple tests to get an idea of an athlete’s fiber makeup
It is impossible to know the exact ratio of muscle fibers within a muscle unless you use
the very painful and intrusive muscle biopsy. However some tests can give us a good idea
if an individual is slow-twitch dominant or fast-twitch dominant. While it will not tell us
that somebody has 65.786% fast twitch fibers, it can give us a general perception of the
makeup of the individual. And really, that’s all we need to design optimal training
programs.

Test no.1: The 80% reps test
This is an oldie but a goodie. It’s probably the easiest, and most objective way of
determining muscle fiber dominance. The procedure is simple, after a proper warm-up
load the bar to 80% of your maximum and perform as many reps as you can in good
form. The table below will help you interpret the results you got.

Number of reps with 80% Muscle fiber dominance Most beneficial training

1-3 Fast twitch extremely dominant Very low volume of work High acceleration exercises High load exercises

4-6 Fast twitch very dominant Low volume of work High acceleration exercises High load exercises

7-10 Fast twitch dominant Low volume of work High load exercises High acceleration exercises

11-13 Equal ratio Moderate volume of work High acceleration and slower tempo training Moderate load exercises

14-17 Slow twitch dominant High volume of work Long duration sets Slower eccentric tempo

18-21 Slow twitch very dominant High volume of work Long duration sets Slower eccentric tempo

+21 Slow twitch extremely dominant Very high volume of work Long duration sets Slower eccentric tempo

For best results using this test you should include exercises for all body parts with as little
cross-over as possible. Not all muscles in the same individuals will have the same fiber
dominance, so I suggest using the following test exercises:
Exercise Muscle(s) tested

"Black book fo training secrets" Christian Thibodeau p.25-26

JM1000
04-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Hope this helps someone ;)

burlyman30
04-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Sort of came up with a version of this many years ago, but never had any science behind it to lend it validity. Reps under 5 are useless for me as far as hypertrophy, but great for gaining strength. 6 on up to 30 rep sets have all proven useful for upper and 15-50 seems best for my lower body. I have very few fast twitch in my legs. I can't sprint fast and can't jump hardly at all--two signs that they are loaded with slow twitch fibers.

pitboss
04-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Interesting info. I can't imagine doing 21 reps of 80 percent. I'd be lucky to get 5.

JM1000
04-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Amazing how everyone is different. I actually changed my workout to fit the result i got... Will see how that works.. Been adding different tempos and rest time to change things up, never knew it could be that hard lol. If you want a good read : The Poliqin Principles. Learned lots of new stuff. Poliquin actually proves his methods with research he has done.

burlyman30
04-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Amazing how everyone is different. I actually changed my workout to fit the result i got... Will see how that works.. Been adding different tempos and rest time to change things up, never knew it could be that hard lol. If you want a good read : The Poliqin Principles. Learned lots of new stuff. Poliquin actually proves his methods with research he has done.

Poliquin is a smart guy. That being said, not all of his theories play out in the real world. I'm thinking specifically of his "Anabolic Diet" that he put the WBF on(remember when the WWF started a BBing federation??). The BBers were required to follow the diet and the end result was pretty disappointing.

I will say this, even though someone may have more of one type of fiber, it is still important to stimulate the other fibers. Here is an example of my rationale. While muscle growth may be stimulated best by some high rep training for someone who has a larger amount of slow twitch fibers, it is extremely difficult to increase one's strength while pursuing this rep scheme.

If this is the case, you don't increase your workload unless you do more reps or more reps and sets in the same amount of time. Taking some time to build or increase a strength base (one could do a modified periodization program) will positively affect your strength later on when you return back to a higher rep scheme. More weight is one way to create new growth through adaptation. Not just more weight while building strength, but more weight at the higher rep range.

On the flip side of that equation, one who grows well with a lower rep range and heavier weights will react positively to some higher rep training. The higher reps will increase mitochondrial (tiny blood vessels) growth. This is crucial to "feeding" the muscle properly with oxygen and other nutrients, both during the workout and during the healing/recovery period.

For the larger muscle groups in particularly, I typically have instinctively started out heavy (6-8 reps) at the beginning of the workout and then spend the second portion of the workout with higher reps (15+)

On the rep scheme change you are making, I hope you report back with your findings.

milehighguy
04-07-2013, 09:19 AM
For the larger muscle groups in particularly, I typically have instinctively started out heavy (6-8 reps) at the beginning of the workout and then spend the second portion of the workout with higher reps (15+)

I have had good success with this approach. Allows me to focus on strength first and then move into a higher rep range to pump the muscle I am working that day.

olddawg
04-07-2013, 09:44 AM
I've only seemed to grow on the heavier weight , lower rep, 6X5 or so, but i'm gonna go 25+ for the next month, see what happens, I don't think I've really tried for long enough before on the high rep thing.

and every time I see poloquin, I think of a big meat sandwich like a reuben or something like that wtf?

JM1000
04-07-2013, 10:56 AM
No doubt mixing up everything gives an ideal result... I mean, isn't Shepherd pie the perfect example??

- - - Updated - - -

Like you Burly, I like going heavy on compound exercises and then going lighter for more reps to finish it off... just feels amazing

burlyman30
04-07-2013, 03:59 PM
No doubt mixing up everything gives an ideal result... I mean, isn't Shepherd pie the perfect example??

- - - Updated - - -

Like you Burly, I like going heavy on compound exercises and then going lighter for more reps to finish it off... just feels amazing

I couldn't even focus on reading another word past "shepherds pie" .