PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Physique?

rockstarjacked
04-05-2013, 12:23 PM
I always love hearing other guys' idea of an ideal male physique... For me, it lies somewhere between Frank Zane and Mike Mentzer - a combo of symmetry, leanness/vascularity, density, and size. I have friends who simply think Arnold is the ideal physique, which is tough to argue, he's a beast, but even Arnold had flaws imo. Many guys think the ideal physique is technical like x-height, y-weight, z-bodyfat. Obviously no one's opinion can really be right or wrong with this. I'm curious of my fellow PP / SS guys' opinions. Pictures are encouraged!

http://fsa.zedge.net/scale.php?img=OC82LzIvMS8xLTI4NTYyNjktODYyMTM5Ni5q cGc&ctype=1&v=4&q=81&xs=620&ys=383&sig=462dc20aa0ffdf12ecfc2c66aa5609f5a6a7252b

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8wx21Sqpp1rat2jyo1_400.jpg

longBallLima
04-05-2013, 12:24 PM
indeed, the super heavies of today are too damn big. nice, but dysfunctional. i need to be able to still move, scratch my butt, hopefully spar every now and then.

i might cross into BB next year, but i'll stick with HWs... i think my height won't be an issue, we shall see

rockstarjacked
04-05-2013, 12:31 PM
I don't follow today's bodybuilding competitions. I will find out who won what but that's as much as I care about the competitions now days. I don't think the competitors are judged properly anymore. Seems now to be more of a competition of size (hormones and peptides by the truckload) than it is about a good looking body in my opinion. But many will disagree i'm sure. Let's get some feedback. Come one come all, what's the best male physique??

DJM
04-05-2013, 12:42 PM
'94 olympia flex wheeler
n the olympia he lost to coleman(his 1st), never seen better bb wise imo

however personally i myself build to and like the wwe/nfl lb physique, ie goldberg

rockstarjacked
04-05-2013, 12:46 PM
'94 olympia flex wheeler is a beautiful physique. Damn near flawless. Good call. Keep the physiques coming!

DJM
04-05-2013, 12:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsjFZgiqmrQ

1:53 , un fkn real back detail

DJM
04-05-2013, 12:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v6PolZuxWw

1:50 same deal, conditioning cant be matched

nate3993
04-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Flex was def one of the most genetically gifted bb's ever. No fukin doubt. Not even Phil heath's muscle have the fullness and roundness that flex had. I'd say ideal would def be Zane, with about 25 more lbs. not too big, not too small. Or maybe like arnold with a lil less size. In terms of ideal physique that I'd personally wanna have, that is. In terms of pro bodybuilding, Arnold's physique is dam high on the list of the ideal IFBB physique IMO.

olddawg
04-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Hmmm, you know looking at that pic of Zane, I'm not that far off from him (insert flames here)

Dcabedo
04-05-2013, 02:35 PM

Gotta go with zane! True inspiration for me!

rockstarjacked
04-05-2013, 07:56 PM
If I was only allowed to choose one physique it would be Zane's. If I can achieve a body that looks anything close to Zane's, I'd be ecstatic.

Dcabedo
04-05-2013, 08:40 PM
If I was only allowed to choose one physique it would be Zane's. If I can achieve a body that looks anything close to Zane's, I'd be ecstatic.

Exactly what I was thinking!

WHC
04-05-2013, 08:52 PM
As far as legs are concerned, how about Tom Platz?
624 625

burlyman30
04-05-2013, 10:47 PM

You know, the height vs size is fairly attainable, actually. He competed at 185-189 at a height of 5'9. Granted, at that low weight he was sliced to ribbons. Biggest he ever got in off season was probably 220 or 230. His skeletal structure was genetically blessed ( narrow hips and wide shoulder girdle) to help him achieve this look and every muscle was shaped and refined to a point where everything flowed with "perfection" if there was such a thing.

burlyman30
04-05-2013, 10:55 PM
I always love hearing other guys' idea of an ideal male physique... For me, it lies somewhere between Frank Zane and Mike Mentzer - a combo of symmetry, leanness/vascularity, density, and size. I have friends who simply think Arnold is the ideal physique, which is tough to argue, he's a beast, but even Arnold had flaws imo. Many guys think the ideal physique is technical like x-height, y-weight, z-bodyfat. Obviously no one's opinion can really be right or wrong with this. I'm curious of my fellow PP / SS guys' opinions. Pictures are encouraged!

http://fsa.zedge.net/scale.php?img=OC82LzIvMS8xLTI4NTYyNjktODYyMTM5Ni5q cGc&ctype=1&v=4&q=81&xs=620&ys=383&sig=462dc20aa0ffdf12ecfc2c66aa5609f5a6a7252b

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8wx21Sqpp1rat2jyo1_400.jpg

Love the lines and symmetry of Zane and the thick ruggedness of Mentzer. Two of my favs for different reasons.

Great thread idea.

burlyman30
04-05-2013, 11:02 PM
As far as legs are concerned how about "Quadzilla", Tom Platz?
624 625

Platz is of of my biggest inspirations. Not because he had the best body, but because of his intense drive to take his body (and mind) places that no o e had gone to before.

DJM
04-05-2013, 11:15 PM
guys just looked so much harder back then, todays guys have the same bf and all that, but just look more blown up....mentzer looks like a mack truck......not many guys today have that granite like build....i can tfind the word but you get me.....even into the 90s the top guys just looked different, its changed

i know old school they trained longer and harder and generally on less gear, no gh, no slin and all the other shit.......its become so technical and over thought to a science, that theyve lost something somewhere

burlyman30
04-05-2013, 11:28 PM
guys just looked so much harder back then, todays guys have the same bf and all that, but just look more blown up....mentzer looks like a mack truck......not many guys today have that granite like build....i can tfind the word but you get me.....even into the 90s the top guys just looked different, its changed

i know old school they trained longer and harder and generally on less gear, no gh, no slin and all the other shit.......its become so technical and over thought to a science, that theyve lost something somewhere

They look like balloons now. So if they aren't flexing, it doesn't look rock solid to me.

rockstarjacked
04-06-2013, 09:27 AM

I couldn't agree more with this!

nate3993
04-06-2013, 02:27 PM
As far as legs are concerned how about "Quadzilla", Tom Platz?
624 625

although i agree platz had some of the best legs ever, quadzilla was actually paul demayo

WHC
04-06-2013, 03:26 PM
although i agree platz had some of the best legs ever, quadzilla was actually paul demayo

I stand corrected. Will edit post.

Coolazice
04-06-2013, 03:48 PM

Actually, Tom Platz was referred to as "Quadzilla" before Demayo was even on the scene yet, if memory serves me correctly.

WHC
04-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Actually, Tom Platz was referred to as "Quadzilla" before Demayo was even on the scene yet, if memory serves me correctly.
Sounds like we need an old schooler to clear this up.

WHC
04-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Platz is of of my biggest inspirations. Not because he had the best body, but because of his intense drive to take his body (and mind) places that no o e had gone to before.
Some say this was 485 lbs, some 495, some 500, some 525. I don't know which. It's an example of that intensity, though. Looks like 495.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjtVvYk1HWw

Coolazice
04-06-2013, 04:01 PM

I kinda am an "old schooler". lol I'm 38 and been following bodybuilding since the mid/late 80's. Paul Demayo didn't start making the magazines much til around 90' and Platz had already been big news since late 70's or early 80's.

WHC
04-06-2013, 04:21 PM
I kinda am an "old schooler". lol I'm 38 and been following bodybuilding since the mid/late 80's. Paul Demayo didn't start making the magazines much til around 90' and Platz had already been big news since late 70's or early 80's.
Sounds good to me. Except that I'm only 2 years behind you and I'm not quite ready to consider myself "old school" yet! Say it ain't so.

rockstarjacked
04-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Well i'm 19... sooo you're all "old schoolers" to me haha. I loved PP's forum and of course this forum now and combing your guys' brains for the knowledge that only comes from experience. That's the most important kind of knowledge imo. I try to read as much science and facts as possible, but the anecdotal evidence from people who have tried and experimented on their own is extremely valuable to me.

nate3993
04-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Well i'm 19... sooo you're all "old schoolers" to me haha. I loved PP's forum and of course this forum now and combing your guys' brains for the knowledge that only comes from experience. That's the most important kind of knowledge imo. I try to read as much science and facts as possible, but the anecdotal evidence from people who have tried and experimented on their own is extremely valuable to me.

u bastard. i used to be the youngest one on the forum. dam. i'm only 20 though, so i guess we're pretty much the same.

Coolazice
04-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Sounds good to me. Except that I'm only 2 years behind you and I'm not quite ready to consider myself "old school" yet! Say it ain't so.

It's not so much the being 38, it's that I have bodybuilding magazines from 86' or 87' (my buddy got me interested in lifting when I was 13) which is getting back into "old school" territory. ;)

rockstarjacked
04-06-2013, 04:37 PM
u bastard. i used to be the youngest one on the forum. dam. i'm only 20 though, so i guess we're pretty much the same.

Haha we're in the same boat. Kinda glad i'm not the only one who's this young here tbh. Sifting through these guys' experiences and knowledge puts us way ahead of the game compared to the guys our age who are trying to figure out everything for themselves. And idk about you, but i have friends our age who are all screwed up from prohormone cycles that they had no business getting involved in. It's ashame.

WHC
04-06-2013, 04:40 PM

Damn you both.

Coolazice
04-06-2013, 04:51 PM
You guys have no idea how far ahead of the game you really are if you follow what DJM, Burly, OD, and many of the other "older" guys on here have to say... especially DJM 'simplistic approach'. I remember reading ads for "miracle supplements" like boron, smilax, sarsaparilla root, Cybergenics and countless other worthless ads all promising to be what adds the next 20 pounds of muscle (kind of like MuscleTech does now). If I would have just focused on food and consistent lifting, I could have saved thousands ($1,000's) of dollars over the years and been way ahead of the game. It may have even kept me from slipping into the trap of drinking so much and wasting so many of my best years of my life. /RANT

Dcabedo
04-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Haha we're in the same boat. Kinda glad i'm not the only one who's this young here tbh. Sifting through these guys' experiences and knowledge puts us way ahead of the game compared to the guys our age who are trying to figure out everything for themselves. And idk about you, but i have friends our age who are all screwed up from prohormone cycles that they had no business getting involved in. It's ashame.

Awesome! I thought I was the only kid on this forum too! haha.

burlyman30
04-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Some say this was 485 lbs, some 495, some 500, some 525. I don't know which. It's an example of that intensity, though. Looks like 495.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjtVvYk1HWw

It was 495 plus 2.5 lb metal collars on each side. So 500.

Though Platz was the original leg man, his moniker was "The Golden Eagle". DeMayo was the first guy officially dubbed "Quadzilla".

rockstarjacked
04-06-2013, 05:01 PM
You guys have no idea how far ahead of the game you really are if you follow what DJM, Burly, OD, and many of the other "older" guys on here have to say... especially DJM 'simplistic approach'. I remember reading ads for "miracle supplements" like boron, smilax, sarsaparilla root, Cybergenics and countless other worthless ads all promising to be what adds the next 20 pounds of muscle (kind of like MuscleTech does now). If I would have just focused on food and consistent lifting, I could have saved thousands ($1,000's) of dollars over the years and been way ahead of the game. It may have even kept me from slipping into the trap of drinking so much and wasting so many of my best years of my life. /RANT

Hell yea man. DJM's advice is always very solid. Last summer I pm'd him on PP asking about aas advice... He said what's your age, height, weight?... I told him, and his advice was to WAIT!! and to train naturally for as long as possible. I can't thank him enough for that, because at the time i was very annoyed with seeing friends of mine using prohormones and aas and surpassing my natural physique, so i was very tempted to go down that path as well, but i am so glad DJM was realistic and honest with me. I can't say i won't juice when i'm like 30-40.. because i most likely will. But i will do my best to look like Frank Zane and Mike Mentzer before that time comes.

Coolazice
04-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Though Platz was the original leg man, his moniker was "The Golden Eagle". DeMayo was the first guy officially dubbed "Quadzilla".

Thomas Steven Platz (born June 26, 1955 in Fort Sill, Oklahoma) is an American retired professional bodybuilder. His nicknames are "The Golden Eagle" and "Quadzilla". - Wikipedia

I'm not sure if there is a way to prove who was called "Quadzilla" first... It did stick harder with Paul Demayo for sure though.

Coolazice
04-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Hell yea man. DJM's advice is always very solid. Last summer I pm'd him on PP asking about aas advice... He said what's your age, height, weight?... I told him, and his advice was to WAIT!! and to train naturally for as long as possible. I can't thank him enough for that, because at the time i was very annoyed with seeing friends of mine using prohormones and aas and surpassing my natural physique, so i was very tempted to go down that path as well, but i am so glad DJM was realistic and honest with me. I can't say i won't juice when i'm like 30-40.. because i most likely will. But i will do my best to look like Frank Zane and Mike Mentzer before that time comes.

Like Burly always says: "Food is the most anabolic substance known to man". Consistent lifting (DJM) + Good eating (Burly) = respectable physique. ;)

burlyman30
04-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Thomas Steven Platz (born June 26, 1955 in Fort Sill, Oklahoma) is an American retired professional bodybuilder. His nicknames are "The Golden Eagle" and "Quadzilla". - Wikipedia

I'm not sure if there is a way to prove who was called "Quadzilla" first... It did stick harder with Paul Demayo for sure though.

Huh. I just don't remember him being called quadzilla. Seems I would have, seeing as I used to nearly worship the guy.

Coolazice
04-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Huh. I just don't remember him being called quadzilla. Seems I would have, seeing as I used to nearly worship the guy.

Maybe he just preferred to be called The Golden Eagle because he was dubbed that first before he grew those massive quads??? Who knows? It's all just useless trivia any way. TBH, I can't prove who was called if first, but I do remember reading it when I was younger.

DJM
04-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Like Burly always says: "Food is the most anabolic substance known to man". Consistent lifting (DJM) + Good eating (Burly) = respectable physique. ;)

i wouldnt say everything that goes imto that man's mouth is 'good'

Coolazice
04-06-2013, 05:44 PM
i wouldnt say everything that goes imto that man's mouth is 'good'

Lol... neither would I. But he does recommend good (bigger) eating for gaining size and putting food higher in priority over supplements.

tallstraw
04-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Arnold, for me. Comparable height, I would love that kind of size. After my surgery and time off, I'm hoping to start a log and have you guys critique it. In thr meantime I'm gonna prime in my off with just good eating with no lifting and try to be around 10%. Perfect to overload my bdy for a test and phera cycle.

tallstraw
04-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Aso, I thought you were older than me Nate?

Jorsn
04-07-2013, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't mind looking like Wladimir Klitschko