PDA

View Full Version : Supplements Ranked in order of importance

olddawg
04-12-2013, 10:17 AM
I got a free Muscle Insider magazine with a recent prot order, in it they rank some supplements in order of importance. Wanted to share/discuss.

A list:

multivitamin
EFA's Fish oil
greens
fiber supps
whey powder
high molecular weight carbs

B list

Creatine
Caffeine and other stims
BCAA's
L Tyrosine
Betaine
Beta Alanine

C List

Glutamine
Carnitine
Joint Supps

Rulk
04-13-2013, 07:04 AM
I got a free Muscle Insider magazine with a recent prot order, in it they rank some supplements in order of importance. Wanted to share/discuss.

A list:

multivitamin
EFA's Fish oil
greens
fiber supps
whey powder
high molecular weight carbs

B list

Creatine
Caffeine and other stims
BCAA's
L Tyrosine
Betaine
Beta Alanine

C List

Glutamine
Carnitine
Joint Supps

My money has been going to other things lately, and my supplement stash has dwindled. Out of the list, I will only get a handful now and rely more on food ( I have to ). In regards to the list, this is what i'm doing:

All-In from PN has multiple items from this list, so that is a good one to grab.
I get my caffeine from coffee.
I will be replacing my efa's with krill oil, and eating salmon on a regular basis.
Just about everyday I have a fruit and veggie smoothie ( berries, spinach, kale ), thus, no need for greens or fiber.
Wish I could afford a joint supp, but alas, just doing pre-workout cardio and high rep warm up, helps to eleviate joint pain.
I don't do a multi, but probably should. Vpx's vitamin pack sounds decent.
Still use protein powder, mostly around workouts now, but will have one here and there.

Not on the list that I like- Digestive enzymes.

So yeah, I have had to work around things and make adjustments.

milehighguy
04-13-2013, 07:38 AM
interesting...not sure I would put a multi vitamin that high on my list

pman42
04-13-2013, 09:52 AM
I guess it depends on your goals. I take it A, B and C are 3 tiers, with A being most important? In that case I wouldn't place high MW carbs on the A list. i never noticed much from them. far prefer to have a banana or a piece of bread w/ almond butter before training. Also, fiber may be unnecessary depending on diet. I would say it makes more sense to spend the money on real vegetables, even if you end up getting less fiber than taking a fiber supp. I would put creatine on the A list. A multi, greens, fish oil and whey are solid choices.

B list looks okay. BCAAs may be unnecessary if you're not training insane. Caffeine for some people like me is an occasional treat or we turn into raging dickhead insomniacs.

C list I would say glutamine is pretty useless for bodybuilding (good for GI health). there's tons of glutamine in whey anyway. IIRC in most of the studies showing weight increase on glutamine the actual effect was due to intestinal uptake and retention, since glutamine is fuel for enterocytes.

olddawg
04-13-2013, 10:08 AM
I seem to recall a study saying glutamine is effective, but the dosage had to be so high that it is economically unfeasible, something like 20g/day for a 200lb guy or something like that

USN HM 350Z
04-13-2013, 12:00 PM
I have simplified things greatly.

A list
Fish Oil
Creatine HCL
Citruline
PreWorkout (what ever is cheap)
Pepto pro
Protein powder

B List (use as needed)

Ephedrine