User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established Member Feedback Score 0 Sperwer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

L-Carnitine and BO

While we're on the subject, has anyone used l-carnitine and found that it produced strange body odor?

I've used it on-and-off for a number of years after reading Lyle McDonald recommending it as part of the limited supplement regimen for one of his rapid fat loss protocols. Seems to have some effect in that regard.

I used it recently as part of my contest prep supplementation. After a few weeks, my wife and daughter noticed that I smelled differently and rather strongly and ID'd the scent as fried dried squid - an old-time snack food in Korea that is losing ground but can still be found in a lot of street stalls. When I first got here, it was the item of choice at the cinema snack bars - an acquired taste (and smell) but not bad in small quantities once you got accustomed to it.

I couldn't figure out what was causing the smell - thought it might just have something to do with the rather large amount of body fat that I was oxidizing - but then I read somewhere recently that L-carnitine can cause changes in body odor.
    "The purpose of today's training is to defeat yesterday's understanding."

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    GlycoCarn (GPLC) - A Novel Compound - Bodybuilding.com Forums

"Is L-Carnitine safe?

L-Carnitine is produced within the body & to date there are no reports of serious side effects caused by L-Carnitine and its derivatives & most clinical studies have claimed there were not any undesired effects.Doses as high as 4g (2x2g)/d may cause nausea & diarrhea (Source).Other rare side effects include sleeplessness,increased appetite,body odor & rash (Source).
    The EFSA (European Food Safety Authority) has made an extensive safety evaluation and concluded that up to 2g L-Carnitine or the equivalent 3g L-Carnitine L-Tartrate are regarded safe for daily consumption."

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Sperwer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taubes' books are well worth reading, especially Good Calories Bad Calories, if you want the full bore take-down of modern nutritional conventional wisdom and have the patience to sift through all the science with him, or Why We Get Fat, if you just want the Cliff Notes version.
    "The purpose of today's training is to defeat yesterday's understanding."

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) weekend's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i found some article explaining why this study had improper conclusions... TMAO is actually straight up in fish, this is all bullshit. lol