User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Established Member Feedback Score 0 Broly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pman42 View Post
    It is willpower. it is telling myself that it will get better, that I will NOT live my life in pain or debility. actually the thing that sucks the most about all of this is not being able to squat and deadlift. Initially I liked just focusing on upper body (who doesn't like arm and chest day?) but now I really feel that I need some leg work. I feel I'm atrophying without it (probbaly my imagination). all the stuf w/o loaded spine doesn't seem to do the same job as squats. but I have a sled on the way, and right behind my house there is at least a 100 yard stretch of grass so that will be good because i can get in some good leg work that doesn't irritate the spine and is also excellent conditioning.

I wish I had started on the BioCell right away. i got another brand of HA that didn't seem to do anything. but this is definitely more than my imagination. I have a appt to see 2 sports rehab docs and get their opinions, and maybe in a year I will re-image with x-rays and hopefully there will be some changes.

- - - Updated - - -

thought I would add... for pain I think high-dose MSM is at least as good as any NSAID, and it;s good for your liver not bad.

You'll find ways to work around it... the Hex Bar Squat is one of my favorite alternatives.

Hex Bar Squat - YouTube

The dude in the video is a moron and calls it a deadlift but it's not.
    Water can flow or it can crash... be water my friend

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, was definitely thinking of getting one of those hex bars once the back gets a little better.

sperwar, it is the BioCell brand of Hyaluronic acid, which is sold by various manufacturers including Jarrow, Doctor;s Best, Source Naturals, etc. It is the HyalJoint from Swanson that I felt nothing from.

Animal Flex looks like an impressive product if everything in the proprietary blends is dosed correctly.

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I saw a sports med doc who looked at the x-ray and says he doesn't think I have degenerative disc disease. He says it's an artifact of the way it's photographed, that since the camera is centred in the middle of the spine, the edges tend to get 'squished together'. needless to say this was a relief.

he advised me to start a core-strengthening program, which as of right now includes: push-up to plank, plant to side plank, dead bugs, reverse hypers, and back extensions. anything else i should add?

New Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a compressed L-4 and the L-5 is degenerated to the point there are bone spurs forming and sitting on the nerve. Eventually it will fuse. My orthos suggested to continue moderate to heavy deadlifts as well as squats. As a matter of fact they (one in San Diego, the other in Palm Springs)both said my heavy squats and deadlifts are probably why I haven't had many problems. When did I have a horrible experience? YOGA. It was a move that over rotated my spine and the spur hit the nerve. It took tons of meds and time just to be good again. No over extension, flexion, or rotation, and I highly recommend the book The Supple Leopard.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 5 (100%) O_RYAN_007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I'm extrememly lucky that my training partner owns a reverse hyper machine from west side. It's really helped decompress the spine and help provide traction of the spine. After those heavy reads and squats, it's imperative that I do them.

Check this vid out pman, start watching at 7:23-7:55. Louie talks about how he first came up with the idea, and how it all started. This will help you make your own Reverse hyper machine.

Louie Simmons Reverse Hyper Instruction - YouTube

Established Member Feedback Score 2 (100%) milehighguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by O_RYAN_007 View Post
    I know I'm extrememly lucky that my training partner owns a reverse hyper machine from west side. It's really helped decompress the spine and help provide traction of the spine. After those heavy reads and squats, it's imperative that I do them.

Check this vid out pman, start watching at 7:23-7:55. Louie talks about how he first came up with the idea, and how it all started. This will help you make your own Reverse hyper machine.

Louie Simmons Reverse Hyper Instruction - YouTube
    Interesting machine...never seen one before. So he was also talking about using it up to 5 days a week. How often do you do these? Sounds like a good movement even if you don't have any serious issues...

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 5 (100%) O_RYAN_007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by milehighguy View Post
    Interesting machine...never seen one before. So he was also talking about using it up to 5 days a week. How often do you do these? Sounds like a good movement even if you don't have any serious issues...
    I told my training partner I want to move it from 1-2 times a week; after deads and after squats. Before we were just doing them after squats, but the other day I felt I needed some spinal decompression after deads and it felt amazing!!!!!!!!!!. 3x8 at 45#s on each side.

After squats I do 2 45# plates on each side.