User Tag List

Hybrid View

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So boron and sorghum? Anything else you recommend or anything you recommend we stay away from? I think I remember you saying that 5a inhibitors or something were bad for DHT levels? I think I've also seen you mention omeprazole being bad as well? Whats your full recommendation?

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Freepressright's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spank View Post
    So boron and sorghum? Anything else you recommend or anything you recommend we stay away from? I think I remember you saying that 5a inhibitors or something were bad for DHT levels? I think I've also seen you mention omeprazole being bad as well? Whats your full recommendation?
    Stay away from:

Rice
    Fenugreek
    Saw palmetto
    Astaxanthin
    Safflower
    Finasteride
    Reishi
    Licorice root

I have seen research that indicates certain acid reducers can be anti-androgenic. The worst offender, I'm told, is Tagamet.

One surprising thing that will help your DHT levels a bunch is creatine. Here's the study to back up my claim:

Three weeks of creatine monohydrate supplementation affects dihydro... - PubMed - NCBI

Here's an excerpt:

RESULTS:

After 7 days of creatine loading, or a further 14 days of creatine maintenance dose, serum T levels did not change. However, levels of DHT increased by 56% after 7 days of creatine loading and remained 40% above baseline after 14 days maintenance (P < 0.001). The ratio of DHT:T also increased by 36% after 7 days creatine supplementation and remained elevated by 22% after the maintenance dose (P < 0.01).
    CONCLUSIONS:

Creatine supplementation may, in part, act through an increased rate of conversion of T to DHT. Further investigation is warranted as a result of the high frequency of individuals using creatine supplementation and the long-term safety of alterations in circulating androgen composition. STATEMENT OF CLINICAL RELEVANCE: Although creatine is a widely used ergogenic aid, the mechanisms of action are incompletely understood, particularly in relation to dihydrotestosterone, and therefore the long-term clinical safety cannot be guaranteed.

And one major test booster that I will be adding to my arsenal of supplements will be Ashwagandha.

This study -- Withania somnifera improves semen quality by regulating reproductiv... - PubMed - NCBI --- found out that infertile men who are given 5 grams of Ashwagandha for 3 months increase their testosterone levels by 40% on average when compared to placebo. The men who had normal sperm activity noticed an increase of 15%.

This study -- Clinical Evaluation of the Spermatogenic Activity of the Root Extra... - PubMed - NCBI -- arrived at a similar conclusion. The Ashwagandha group had increased their testosterone levels by 17% when compared to the placebo group. They also saw a 34% increase in luteinizing hormone (LH), which shows that Ashwagandha works by stimulating testosterone synthesis inside the gonads.

And here's another -- Withania somnifera Improves Semen Quality in Stress-Related Male Fertility -- and what they found out was that their subjects had increased testosterone levels by 16% on average and that their stress hormone (cortisol) levels had dropped roughly by 30%.

And then here's a double-blind, randomized, controlled, placebo study: http://www.lifeforce.net/pdfs/withania_review.pdf

It gave both men and women, a 250-500 mg dose of Ashwagandha for mixed durations (1-6 months) and found out that on average their subjects cortisol levels dropped by 14% and that their HDL cholesterol levels increased by 17.3%.

Pretty interesting stuff.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 entropy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also avoid dutasteride and plastics containing BPA.

Oh.. Cottonseed oil and soy products too.

Statin drugs are pretty awful too. Wow this is a long list.

FPR, cdsnuts etc. I think we should turn this into a dedicated thread. "Things to avoid to protect your manhood".
    Last edited by entropy; 01-14-2015 at 09:47 AM.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Freepressright's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Also avoid dutasteride and plastics containing BPA.

Oh.. Cottonseed oil and soy products too.

Statin drugs are pretty awful too. Wow this is a long list.

FPR, cdsnuts etc. I think we should turn this into a dedicated thread. "Things to avoid to protect your manhood".
    I would not doubt it if statin drugs are largely responsible for the ED/low testosterone epidemic. Cholesterol is a direct precursor to testosterone. When you cut it off, test is inevitably going to follow.

And soy, yeah, damn, absolutely NO GOOD can come of a man eating soy. I can cite study after study that demonstrates countless reasons why it should have no place in a man's diet.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 entropy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latrogenesis is the third biggest cause of death in America iirc. Basically, if you get prescribed anything, do the research before you take it. A lot of meds (5ari's, accutane, anti depressants, statins etc) have adverse effects on the endocrine system. Sucks.