User Tag List

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0 Malibu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prescribed antibiotics right after water fast

Hey everyone, bit of a dilemma on my hands.

Had a week off work, so I took the opportunity to do my first ever water-only fast. Completed 8 days.

On day 6, I developed a gradually worsening sore throat, but I decided to finish the fast anyway.

Well, an hour ago it was diagnosed as strep throat, and the doctor prescribed Penicillin.

Shitty timing to say the least, as I finished this cleanse today and just began refeeding.

I’m on the fence about starting the antibiotics, but slightly leaning towards taking them. As much as I dislike pills, apparently with untreated strep there’s a small, but still appreciable risk for severe complications.

Any tips on how to proceed? I’m hoping there’s a way to mitigate some of the damage from antibiotics, if I do end up going that route. (Especially concerned w/ gut).

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Malibu; 05-22-2022 at 10:51 AM.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0 Readytonut's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu View Post

Had a week off work, so I took the opportunity to do my first ever water-only fast. Completed 8 days.

On day 6, I developed a gradually worsening sore throat, but I decided to finish the fast anyway.

Well, an hour ago it was diagnosed as strep throat, and the doctor prescribed Penicillin.

Shitty timing to say the least, as I finished this cleanse today and just began refeeding.

I’m on the fence about starting the antibiotics, but slightly leaning towards taking them. As much as I dislike pills, apparently with untreated strep there’s a small, but still appreciable risk for severe complications.

Any tips on how to proceed? I’m hoping there’s a way to mitigate some of the damage from antibiotics, if I do end up going that route. (Especially concerned w/ gut).

Thanks in advance.
    What a coincidence I also started my first ever waterfast yesterday.

I oftentimes took antibiotics when I got strep throat, sometimes it goes away on its own but as you said don't let it become to bad. My doc also told me to take them because the infection can travel to the ear...
    Just be diligent, and monitor the next few days. Maybe use some anti bacterial mouthwash?

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu View Post

Thanks in advance.
    I'd take them if they are needed to be honest. My arm is badly sprained so I am taking anti-inflammatory's at the moment. Is it desirable? No but the alternative is to lay awake each night in pain and stress my body and also lose timer being able to go to the gym. It's not forever and should be 5 days max but it will speed up healing time for the arm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks gents. Yeah I’ll be starting them tommorow. Wanted to wait until I had a few days of refeeding under my belt and got some strength back. I’ll make sure I eat lots of probiotics these days.

I’m doing well otherwise. Keep fighting the good fight everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetfordboy View Post
    I'd take them if they are needed to be honest. My arm is badly sprained so I am taking anti-inflammatory's at the moment. Is it desirable? No but the alternative is to lay awake each night in pain and stress my body and also lose timer being able to go to the gym. It's not forever and should be 5 days max but it will speed up healing time for the arm.
    Ouch. Hope it heals up quick.