User Tag List

Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LetsGo View Post
    You’re right that I understand the protocol, and if I’d done it 100% from Day 1 I do think I’d be recovered by now. It’s not a question of knowing the right things to do, some people could benefit from having someone to check in with. I guess I could do that here, but it would start to feel like I’m just clogging up the board with too many updates.
    That's what this board is for. I think you're too much of a veteran to need email coaching.

Use the board. It's benefits go further then we think.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I’ve gotten a few total testosterone blood tests from LabCorp OnDemand, a service that I very highly recommend. It’s $70 per test, and I get the results the very next morning. They even make a chart so that you can see it visually.

The bad news is that all four tests (spaced weeks apart) have been in the same range, 345 to 445. This is same as it was when I first crashed with PFS.

After thinking about it, I believe that for me personally, the7-day juice feast was simply not enough. I’m sure some guys have recovered on a 7-day juice feast, but it’s definitely insufficient for me, or I would have been cured by now. I’m also not looking to “just do the minimum,” so a 7-day water fast is also out of the question.

Therefore, I started a 21-day water fast almost 2 full days ago. (Tomorrow morning is Day 3.) I agree with CD that people should only do medically supervised water fasts, and TrueNorth seems to be the best place. (They have a multiple-month waiting list, so jump on it.) I'm under medical supervision by a doctor on an outpatient basis; I’ve received the medical okay to start this, and I have a blood pressure monitor. I’m not on any medications, period. I know the danger signs to look out for, and I have family members checking in on me multiple times per day.

I’ve read a few books about fasting, including the seminal Fasting Can Save Your Life, by Shelton, and the Dr. Fung book on fasting. I’ve also listened to hours of podcasts of Dr. Goldhamer, who runs TrueNorth and knows more about water fasting than almost anyone in the world. While it would be better to do this at TrueNorth, I feel like I have a good handle on what I’m doing, and doing this on an outpatient basis should work for me. If I run into major problems I will stop the fast, and go to the ER if necessary. I also know how to properly re-feed after my fast, and will follow the guideline of “your refeeding period lasts for 50% of the length of your water fast.”

I tried a water fast a couple of years ago, but switched to a juice feast because I was vomiting at work on the second day. I should've persisted. This time, I’m including some Fiji water in my water fast; it’s spring water that has naturally-occuring trace amounts of calcium and magnesium. I feel tired and less energetic than normal, but no nausea or dizziness. I get waves of hunger, but they’re no greater than normal. (I actually felt MUCH MORE hungry on the juice feast, even though I was drinking four quarts of freshly-made juice per day.)

—-----------------------------------------------------------

The way I see it, there are two parts of the protocol: the water fast (or juice feast), and the rest. I fervently believe that the water fasting does almost all of the work in restoring your hormones. (Otherwise, my hormones would have improved.) And I believe that the rest of the protocol gets the androgen receptors working properly. You need both of these elements to recover from PFS.

I believe that what I’ve done on the protocol may have helped my androgen receptors a lot, which would account for the progress that I’ve made. But it clearly didn’t boost my testosterone back to where it needs to be, and I’m glad that I was able to figure that out with blood tests. It’ll take about 2 weeks after my water fast for my hormones to increase, based on the timelines I’ve read from guys on PH who did long (14+ day) water fasts. Once I reach that point, I’ll see where I’m at.

In a best case scenario, my receptors will be working well from the other parts of the protocol, and this water fast will move me very close to the finish line. In effect, I would have done the protocol in reverse. But we’ll see where I’m at when I’ve finished re-feeding.

If necessary, I have enough fat to follow up this water fast with a 28 day water fast starting sometime in August. (I weighed 167 at the start, and I was 127 in high school as a track athlete. I’m sure I could go down to 117 and be fine.)

Wish me luck, guys.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is Day 4 of my water fast.

As I think back to my two juice “feasts” from years ago, I think that I for sure did them improperly. The first one relied on frozen juices, and there also wasn’t anywhere near four quarts per day.

The second juice feast did consist of fresh juice that I made myself — but I think it still was probably closer to 2 to 3 quarts per day if I’m being honest with myself. I say this because I was very hungry all day long, except when I had orange juice, which was usually my breakfast juice. I also didn’t do as much greens as I think I should have, I think I was doing pretty much just fruit juice towards the end of it. And I wasn’t drinking the stated amount of regular water on top of the juice. That's probably why the juice feast didn’t work for me — I just didn’t follow the directions well enough.

The fact that I was hungry all day, every day during the juice feast, I think that alone means that I did it wrong.

I think in some ways, it's easier to do a water fast, because you just have to drink water and rest. That’s it. I’m enjoying the Fiji water, going to get some more and will try to have 1 - 1.5 liters of my daily water intake from this source. (The rest is filtered water.) It has naturally occuring amounts of electrolytes, which should help me.

I’m somewhat debating whether I should just do 14 days here, because I do have to move next month. I’d really like to do 21 days, though.

What worries and concerns me is that I didn’t seem to get a permanent / lasting testosterone boost from doing the other elements of the protocol for so long. Maybe all of that counts for nothing becuase I didn’t do a proper water fast or juice feast? Or maybe it was working on my receptors, and the water fast will help my testosterone. I guess we’ll see. I’m just kind of worried about it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m feeling pretty weak now. Definitely okay to continue the fast, but I’m not sure that I can go around checking out apartments in this condition. I might just do a 7 day fast for now, and then do the full 21-day fast next month after I finish moving in, and return from my friend’s wedding early in the month.

I’d be fine to continue like this if I didn’t have to leave the apartment, use the subway, climb up and down 4 flights of stairs, etc.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your at the hardest part of the fast now in my experience It will get easier from now on until day 10 or so.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 xxaleksi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve done two 7-day juice feasts, a 7-day water fast and a 14-day water fast over the course of three and a half years. I can honestly say that in my opinion water fasting is much easier than juice feasting, despite what people may think. Would never recommend anyone water fast on their own but I personally had no issues at all. The detox depression sucked though lol

I think I’ll start doing a 14-day water fast every five years or so going forward. We will see

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carni View Post
    Your at the hardest part of the fast now in my experience It will get easier from now on until day 10 or so.
    Thanks; I’m not feeling as bad today on Day 5. I’m hoping that at a certain point I’ll feel that burst of energy people talk about, where they feel like they can easily go as long as they want.

I’m not having huge hunger cravings, I just feel a lethargic and in a “low hormone” state. (Including absolutely no hint of morning wood when I wake up, zero libido, etc. This is what I expected because I knew my testosterone would drop during the fast.) I’m hoping that when I finish the fast and start refeeding, my hormones will go beyond my PFS norms and closer to normal healthy levels.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xxaleksi View Post
    I’ve done two 7-day juice feasts, a 7-day water fast and a 14-day water fast over the course of three and a half years. I can honestly say that in my opinion water fasting is much easier than juice feasting, despite what people may think. Would never recommend anyone water fast on their own but I personally had no issues at all. The detox depression sucked though lol

I think I’ll start doing a 14-day water fast every five years or so going forward. We will see

So far, I agree with you. I don’t feel super-hungry, so it’s not torturous. However, I didn’t do my juice feasts properly because they started IIRC with a few days of fasting, and then I also don’t think I drank 2,000 calories or four full quarts of juice per day — I was ravenously hungry the entire time. The last 3 or 4 days, I was nonstop making plans about what I was going to eat when it was finished. That’s not how a juice feast is supposed to be… I think I didn’t do it properly at all and that’s why I didn’t get results from it.

I’m hopeful about the water fast.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Day 5 of my water fast went okay. I still don’t have much energy, and I’m resting all day.

I’m looking forward to the supposed time when my energy will come back, and I’ll feel like I can easily do the rest. This isn’t a huge struggle for me, but if I get more energy it’ll become much easier.

On day 22 I’ll break the fast with freshly made juice for two days, then raw juicy fruit like pineapple etc for two days, then I will add in rice and potatoes after that for a few days. Then I’ll go back to protocol food after that. About a week after that, I should hopefully start feeling significant benefits.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Day 6 of my water fast is now over, and it was the easiest day so far; I didn’t feel hungry, or even particularly tired. I felt pretty normal, and if it stays like this I can see myself fasting for the full 21 days, (or even 28-30 days,) without too much trouble.

I want to err on the side of fasting for “too long” just to be sure that I get the most benefit from it. I know guys have recovered after 7-day fasts, but for me 14 days is the absolute minimum. 21 days is acceptable, and 28-30 days would hopefully give me enormous benefits. The fasting is more of a marathon than a sprint, and I have to take it one day at a time.