User Tag List

Thread: Kava

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Durantia37's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kava

Has anyone tried Kava tea with PFS? It's supposed to help with GABA, and I was thinking it might be something to use as an alcohol replacement at parties and stuff (if not during PFS, maybe even after recovery if I'm trying to stay healthy). Just curious if anyone has any experience/input.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used it a few times before PFS. It gave me a relaxed, sort of sedated affect. But it tastes pretty awful and I honestly didn't think it made me feel "good" by any means. some people like it, some people don't. if you can get past the horrible taste I'd say go experiment. I'd much rather take a puff of weed personally.

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Durantia37 View Post
    Has anyone tried Kava tea with PFS? It's supposed to help with GABA, and I was thinking it might be something to use as an alcohol replacement at parties and stuff (if not during PFS, maybe even after recovery if I'm trying to stay healthy). Just curious if anyone has any experience/input.
    Did you ever try kava during PFS? Did it help anxiety?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drink Kava regularly, at least a few times a week.

It helps in the way that alcohol helps. Makes you a bit tipsy and more numb to anxiety. But it is expensive and the prep takes a bit (like 15 mins). Also you need to drink it on an empty stomach for it to have effect.

And it has this reverse tolerance thing going on where you will probably not get satisfying effects the first few times you drink it.

All in all it's very nice to have around when you feel anxious before bed. But it's not practical to take with you to parties or something. Also tastes pretty bad.

And it makes you pee like a horse so make sure you drink enough water and maybe some salts to stay hydrated.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    I drink Kava regularly, at least a few times a week.

It helps in the way that alcohol helps. Makes you a bit tipsy and more numb to anxiety. But it is expensive and the prep takes a bit (like 15 mins). Also you need to drink it on an empty stomach for it to have effect.

And it has this reverse tolerance thing going on where you will probably not get satisfying effects the first few times you drink it.

All in all it's very nice to have around when you feel anxious before bed. But it's not practical to take with you to parties or something. Also tastes pretty bad.

And it makes you pee like a horse so make sure you drink enough water and maybe some salts to stay hydrated.
    Thanks for the reply, bro. It hasn't affected you negatively in any way, related to pfs?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jado View Post
    Thanks for the reply, bro. It hasn't affected you negatively in any way, related to pfs?
    It's hard to say. When you track your progress over these long periods like months and years and you do a million different things it becomes hard to judge what works and what doesn't.
    There have been claims that Kava will naturally boost GABA receptor workings but after looking for concrete evidence, its very sparse and probably not that impactful.

I don't believe it has helped me or set me back on a molecular level. But it has helped me cope and deal with my existing anxiety. So in a way it has helped me mentally, which in the end helps you physically too.

A mistake I made though was not taking the dehydration seriously, which did set me back at times. Allways drink water on the side with your Kava, and maybe even add in some sodium and potassium.

Considering my alcohol consumption always seems to correlate with increased anxiety, Kava seems to stem it, I'm happy I found it. I spend a lot of money on it though since I have to import it over to Europe.

1 extra tip: if you buy, buy from a reputable vendor like Kalmwithkava, BestFijiKava, etc (you can find a good list on the Kava Subreddit). Cheaper brands use specially grown kava or use bad stuff from the plant like stems and leaves that increase the risk of liver problems.

Also, capsules don't really work. Your best bet is ground noble root. Also, when you prepare it, add a little cream (Kavalactones are extracted better with fat) and use warm (but not boiling) water.
    You can save up the used mush after wringing al the moisture out in a container and use it again for a second less powerful wash. I save up 2 or 3 sessions of used Kava and put it in a blender with some water and fat. That second wash usually tastes a bit worse but still has the same effect. A nice way to save a bit of money. Also, never drink the actual pulp, make sure you use a good nutmilk bag or something. The pulp will upset your stomach big time.

Borongoru kava seems to be more relaxing for me, while Vanuatu is more aggressive and alchohol like.

One last thing: Kava will partly inhibit some enzymes in your liver that process other stuff. So watch out when you take things like acetaminophen or other meds.
    Last edited by Mojo; 09-23-2021 at 01:31 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    It's hard to say. When you track your progress over these long periods like months and years and you do a million different things it becomes hard to judge what works and what doesn't.
    There have been claims that Kava will naturally boost GABA receptor workings but after looking for concrete evidence, its very sparse and probably not that impactful.

I don't believe it has helped me or set me back on a molecular level. But it has helped me cope and deal with my existing anxiety. So in a way it has helped me mentally, which in the end helps you physically too.

A mistake I made though was not taking the dehydration seriously, which did set me back at times. Allways drink water on the side with your Kava, and maybe even add in some sodium and potassium.

Considering my alcohol consumption always seems to correlate with increased anxiety, Kava seems to stem it, I'm happy I found it. I spend a lot of money on it though since I have to import it over to Europe.

1 extra tip: if you buy, buy from a reputable vendor like Kalmwithkava, BestFijiKava, etc (you can find a good list on the Kava Subreddit). Cheaper brands use specially grown kava or use bad stuff from the plant like stems and leaves that increase the risk of liver problems.

Also, capsules don't really work. Your best bet is ground noble root. Also, when you prepare it, add a little cream (Kavalactones are extracted better with fat) and use warm (but not boiling) water.
    You can save up the used mush after wringing al the moisture out in a container and use it again for a second less powerful wash. I save up 2 or 3 sessions of used Kava and put it in a blender with some water and fat. That second wash usually tastes a bit worse but still has the same effect. A nice way to save a bit of money. Also, never drink the actual pulp, make sure you use a good nutmilk bag or something. The pulp will upset your stomach big time.

Borongoru kava seems to be more relaxing for me, while Vanuatu is more aggressive and alchohol like.

One last thing: Kava will partly inhibit some enzymes in your liver that process other stuff. So watch out when you take things like acetaminophen or other meds.
    Thanks for the info, bro. I really appreciate it. This downswing has been a bear in regards to the anxiety. It's getting better, but it's really slow, unfortunately. Just looking for some intermittent relief. Thanks again.