User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vitamin E

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bunch of companies sell EVNol SupraBio tocotrienol caps. I use the Doctor's Best brand. they're about $15 for 60 caps but every major online retailer always has discount codes

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Damn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @DrivenToRecover As our resident expert on heat/cold exposure, do you have any insights re: vitamin E supplementation timing related to heat exposure? One of the links you had sent out a while ago included some information from Dr. Rhonda Patrick (our adjunct expert ) which mentions that E supplementation may interfere with mitochondrial biogenesis from the heat stress. I haven't been able to find more detail on this yet, but I have not been supplementing with E on days I sauna for the time being. Thoughts?

From Dr. Rhonda Patrick:

"The other thing that happens in terms of mitochondrial biogenesis and the reason why it occurs when you're exposed to heat, is that heat itself is a stressor on the body and it creates reactive oxygen species (ROS).

ROS are also generated when you exercise; when you're causing your body to work more. These ROS act as a signaling molecule to make more mitochondria.

If you exercise and take a supplemental vitamin E or something that can sort of soak up the ROS, you can negate some of the positive benefits from exercise because you are now not getting those signaling molecules saying, 'Hey, we've got stress here. Let's make more mitochondria to deal with the stress.'

It's really important that you actually have some of that stress. That's part of the mechanism by which it increases mitochondrial biogenesis."
    Last edited by Damn; 07-11-2018 at 06:10 AM.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 DrivenToRecover's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damn View Post
    @DrivenToRecover As our resident expert on heat/cold exposure, do you have any insights re: vitamin E supplementation timing related to heat exposure? One of the links you had sent out a while ago included some information from Dr. Rhonda Patrick (our adjunct expert ) which mentions that E supplementation may interfere with mitochondrial biogenesis from the heat stress. I haven't been able to find more detail on this yet, but I have not been supplementing with E on days I sauna for the time being. Thoughts?

From Dr. Rhonda Patrick:

"The other thing that happens in terms of mitochondrial biogenesis and the reason why it occurs when you're exposed to heat, is that heat itself is a stressor on the body and it creates reactive oxygen species (ROS).

ROS are also generated when you exercise; when you're causing your body to work more. These ROS act as a signaling molecule to make more mitochondria.

If you exercise and take a supplemental vitamin E or something that can sort of soak up the ROS, you can negate some of the positive benefits from exercise because you are now not getting those signaling molecules saying, 'Hey, we've got stress here. Let's make more mitochondria to deal with the stress.'

It's really important that you actually have some of that stress. That's part of the mechanism by which it increases mitochondrial biogenesis."
    I don't do anything related to vitamin E much these days...I will occasionally supplement. But for the same reasons you talked about I will avoid eating anything that shuts down ROS soon after a workout like anything high in antioxidants. One of my favorite foods is frozen blueberries, but I never eat them soon after a workout.

I also try to do saunas/car saunas immediately after workouts (which sucks) becasue it gives you more benefits for the same reasons you mentioned...and I never do my cold exposure until 2+ hours because it shuts down these same beneficial acute inflammatory processes.
    Its only work until its routine

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Damn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivenToRecover View Post
    I don't do anything related to vitamin E much these days...I will occasionally supplement. But for the same reasons you talked about I will avoid eating anything that shuts down ROS soon after a workout like anything high in antioxidants. One of my favorite foods is frozen blueberries, but I never eat them soon after a workout.

I also try to do saunas/car saunas immediately after workouts (which sucks) becasue it gives you more benefits for the same reasons you mentioned...and I never do my cold exposure until 2+ hours because it shuts down these same beneficial acute inflammatory processes.
    Thanks for the info. Yeah, I also sauna right after I lift, but then I go home and make a goat whey protein smoothie with lots of greens & berries which I am now going to have to rethink . I do not do cold showers (or soaks thanks to your recent inspiration ) for several hours after lifting or sauna. I either stink it up for a while or take a lukewarm one. BTW...if you haven't tried it, frozen blueberries in a little goat kefir is fucking awesome.
    Never lose your sense of humor