User Tag List

Page 17 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: JM's Summer Cycle

A word to the wise... stay away from presses behind the neck. They put the shoulder in an injury prone position. My rotator cuffs are so full of scar tissue that began with injuries related to this movement. I wish that someone would have told me the same thing 25 years ago.
    Last edited by burlyman30; 05-23-2013 at 06:11 PM.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 olddawg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will do 5 sets of presses, 4 sets of rear, 4 of front, then finish with 2-3 sets of Arnold presses depending on how many I can get out. If I could make a suggestion for you to consider, as you get comfortable with heavier and heavier weight for your overhead presses you might want to focus on keeping them all behind or in front for the entire set. The heavier you go and moving the weight forward and backward a bit will open you up to injury more so than keeping the weight moving up and down during the set only. The older you get, the more this will become an issue lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    A word to the wise... stay away from presses behind the neck. They put the shoulder in an injury prone position. My rotator cuffs are so full of scar tissue that began with injuries related to this movement. I wish that someone would have told me the same thing 25 years ago.
    funny, the old fogies were typing the same shit at the same time lmao

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
    funny, the old fogies were typing the same shit at the same time lmao
    Unfortunately, this was a lesson I learned at about age 19 when I was pressing 250 for reps on the press. It all felt good... Until it didn't. That's the thing, you never know when it's going to bite you in the butt.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    Unfortunately, this was a lesson I learned at about age 19 when I was pressing 250 for reps on the press. It all felt good... Until it didn't. That's the thing, you never know when it's going to bite you in the butt.
    sadly, I know this well. I'm just getting the weight back up to where I was about 3 months ago. My case wasn't technique (I don't think anyway) it was letting my estrogen get too low, joints a bit dry and not lowering the weight accordingly

Established Member Feedback Score 0 JM1000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hehehe, I have to agree with you two. Although I saw that exercise being done by john meadows, I thought i`d give it a try... No pain felt during the exercise, I also do shoulder mobility exercises and rotator cuff exercises and have been doing them for quite a while ( wrestled for a long time) but i will take this in consideration in the future.. Maybe go behind the head once in a while...

Over and Back Presses - YouTube

video of the over and back presses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved those when the first rocky came out in the '70's and did them religiously back then. in his vid what I don't like to see is how he moves his head so much changing his spinal alignment. the angle of the weight on his shoulders really doesn't change all that much in the video

Established Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) USN HM 350Z's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM1000 View Post
    How much sets do you guys do for shoulders? I just realised I never really added volume which I will most likely do in the future!
    My last Shoulder day I did

standing barbell pressed (no hip push/cheating) for 5 sets of 10/10/10/8/6
    dumbbell side raises for 4 sets of 10
    dumbbell front raises for 4 sets of 10

I do rear delts on back days along with traps.

I will change exercises every 3-4 weeks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JM1000 View Post
    hehehe, I have to agree with you two. Although I saw that exercise being done by john meadows, I thought i`d give it a try... No pain felt during the exercise, I also do shoulder mobility exercises and rotator cuff exercises and have been doing them for quite a while ( wrestled for a long time) but i will take this in consideration in the future.. Maybe go behind the head once in a while...

Over and Back Presses - YouTube

video of the over and back presses
    DB presses are a much better option, as the weight follows the path of the shoulder, versus the shoulder forced into an unnatural stretch. I'll be honest, I don't care for BB presses from the front. It always feels like my chin and nose are in the path of the bar.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 5 (100%) O_RYAN_007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z View Post
    My last Shoulder day I did

standing barbell pressed (no hip push/cheating) for 5 sets of 10/10/10/8/6
    dumbbell side raises for 4 sets of 10
    dumbbell front raises for 4 sets of 10

I do rear delts on back days along with traps.

I will change exercises every 3-4 weeks
    I'll agree with you here my man! I follow just about the same routine you're talking about here.

I've managed to work my way up to 70# DB for 10 reps and 2 sets on standing presses. I start with40# DB, 50, 60, 70, 70. My shoulders have been looking huge ever since I switched from sitting to standing presses.