I was a SEVERE asthmatic from childhood until just a few years ago. I grew up in a household with cigarette smoking and cats, both things that I'm allergic to. Even though I had asthma, I decided to smoke. I smoked for 14 years. I was on both albuterol every four hours and Advair once a day. I thought I was destined to be an asthmatic the rest of my life.

I was hospitalized with pneumonia more times than I could count, I got bronchitis several times a year, I caught every cold that went around -- I was a miserable wreck.

In April 2009 I quit smoking. Within a year and a half, my severe asthma symptoms gradually subsided. I have had no symptoms since around the last quarter of 2010. I hardly ever catch a cold that lasts for more than a couple of days and I have not been on antibiotics in at least three years.

My best advice to you is to get allergy tested, because I'll bet money that what you're experiencing is allergenic in nature. You don't just "develop" asthma, I don't believe. I was one of the most severe cases and I'm completely asthma free today.

Vitamin D3 and magnesium are big ones in keeping asthma and allergic reactions at bay. I would do all you can to find triggers and try to treat this naturally. Albuterol isn't good for your adrenals or cardiac system.

Just my .02.