User Tag List

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Burly Decides to Pull Again...

In case anyone cares to watch it, I also got video of my lift prior to the 455, at 405. I was surprised how light it felt, which inspired me to up the ante.

405 lb DL - YouTube
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 5 (100%) O_RYAN_007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VERY GOOD FORM!!!! I finally was able to watch the vids, and they are very impressive! The bar speed on the 455 lift was nice too, and when it slowed you used those gluteus and hips to lock the lift out.
    POWERLIFTERS PUT IT DEEPER IN THE WHOLE!!! WHAT???!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback. It's always nice to have another set of eyes on a lift.

I've never had the opportunity to watch myself perform a lift, so it was good for me to watch for a few things: bar close to body, starting hip position, head position, back angle from shoulders to hips, bar speed, back rigidity, point of greatest strain, etc. And then to compare the two vids to look for differences, breaks in form, etc. between the lighter and heavier load was helpful. I did notice my starting hip position was down an inch or two on the lighter weight. This is something for me to be mindful of.
    Last edited by burlyman30; 11-25-2013 at 09:25 AM.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a quick update.

Last friday , I pulled an upper back muscle, right under my shoulder. The pain lessened considerably over the weekend and so I thought I would test the waters, as today is my back/delt day.
    Well, it became clear that things are still not back to normal. I only went up to 75lb for close grip pulldowns and the injured muscle hurt in the stretched position. I just kept that weight and did slow reps, for a few sets of 20-30 reps. I tried a set of light cable pullovers, and that seemed to aggravate it more, so I shut it down and moved to the next body part.

With the additional rest from the gym during the holiday, I hope to give this muscle enough time to heal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back is healing up, but not quite there yet. With lots of warmups, I slowly worked up to 210 on lat pulls for sets of 6. For a reference point, before the injury I was using 285. I could feel the muscle pull a little, but I'd put myself at 70%. In another week or two I may make another run at the deadlift, but probably no more than 315-365. I'll just have to see how the muscle feels and let it be my guide.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Cobalt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful, we need burlyman, not brokenman.
    If you can bench more than you can squat, you're doing it wrong!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    Be careful, we need burlyman, not brokenman.
    Haha. True.

Funny thing I discovered while talking to another experienced lifter at the gym. We were discussing all my injuries and pains. He said "Everything is on your left side?". Sure enough.... all my main or chronic pains or injuries happen on the left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    Haha. True.

Funny thing I discovered while talking to another experienced lifter at the gym. We were discussing all my injuries and pains. He said "Everything is on your left side?". Sure enough.... all my main or chronic pains or injuries happen on the left.
    You may think about looking into a good sports PT or a good ART Dr to work on the imbalances in the muscles. My wife is an Occupational Therapist, but she does a lot of Sport Type Physical Therapy. THey use Trigger Point Therapy to work on these muscles and I must say, IT WORKS!!! She's about to take a test to get her Certification in Trigger Point Therapy (I forgot the exact cert name, it was a year long course.) You just have to get a script from your Primary care Physician. The PTs and OTs don't diagnose an injury, they just address the diagnosis from the PCP.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 ryhigh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by O_RYAN_007 View Post
    You may think about looking into a good sports PT or a good ART Dr to work on the imbalances in the muscles. My wife is an Occupational Therapist, but she does a lot of Sport Type Physical Therapy. THey use Trigger Point Therapy to work on these muscles and I must say, IT WORKS!!! She's about to take a test to get her Certification in Trigger Point Therapy (I forgot the exact cert name, it was a year long course.) You just have to get a script from your Primary care Physician. The PTs and OTs don't diagnose an injury, they just address the diagnosis from the PCP.
    Lucky man! I bet that comes in handy lol. My ex is a massage therapist and I had a table set up in my house so I got worked on like every other day, those little hands worked magic
    Been juicing since CapriSun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryhigh View Post
    Lucky man! I bet that comes in handy lol. My ex is a massage therapist and I had a table set up in my house so I got worked on like every other day, those little hands worked magic
    It's not everyday I get worked on, but she knows my problem areas. SHe also uses quite a bit of the Kinesio tape to work on the muscular imbalances. She took a course for that too. She works on fixing the internal rotation of my shoulders cause by the pecs being so tight that they pull the shoulders forward. That is one of the nicest feelings being taped to correct that issue. My shoulders are pulled back, my anterior shoulder pain is gone, my posture is amazing, and my chest pops the F out!